Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's interesting that seemingly everybody considers Plessis, Insua and Nemeth to be in the first team squad next year. What is this based on?

Apparently, Plessis was only with the first team squad for the Arsenal league game because he couldn't get his passport/visa sorted for a trip with the reserves to Texas. Before the Arsenal game, there was nary a mention of him at all, and I'm sure I wasnt the only one scratching their head when they saw him line up.

Insua has also supposedly been offered to Newcastle as part-exchange for Milner, so you have to wonder how much he really does feature in Rafa's plans, despite his potential.

Now, i have to say, the Insua to Newcastle deal caught me off guard. Is he not meant to be one of the up and comings?? As for the Plessis passport thing. I didn't hear about that! But then again, if you get your chance, however that maybe, take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

heres a nice summary of what tom hicks has done with the rangers in 10 years.

http://rangersorrobbers.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/robbers-evidence-hicks-needs-to-go-but-jerry-jones-has-assured-hell-stay/

And the site in general

http://rangersorrobbers.wordpress.com/#

named,rangers fans against hicks.

Holy ****, that's scary. Now, in terms of that fat sh!te, it's nothing new, But when baseball fans have heard of Liverpool F.C, you know we're ****ed. They obviously googled the club. And why did they google the club? The same reason we've googled Texas Rangers!! Unless he goes, we could be in big trouble. Not just saying this now because of that site, but for a while we've thought along similar lines.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Holy ****, that's scary. Now, in terms of that fat sh!te, it's nothing new, But when baseball fans have heard of Liverpool F.C, you know we're ****ed. They obviously googled the club. And why did they google the club? The same reason we've googled Texas Rangers!! Unless he goes, we could be in big trouble. Not just saying this now because of that site, but for a while we've thought along similar lines.

I feel the same way but in saying that,the money footballers earn and cost is tiny compared with american sports and they are run completely different,so you cannot say the same thing will happen but under hicks but in 10 years the rangers have had 4 new managers and finished last in the league,except for the first few years where they won it.

He also has control over who he buys in that team,he seemed to think you can win with a team of average players and 1 brillaint player costing 250 million dollars,which failed.

So we had better hope he never picks the team:)

Jesus, no wonder he wants to keep Torres. Eh....we need a squad and a team....TEAM to win things you fat Texan sh!t. I hate you so much, Hicks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

News over here today that Kewell is signing for Roma -

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=583073

Maybe he's not finished after all.

Xavi6 wrote: »

jesus,they can have him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

in other news frank lampards agent is meeting inter milan this week :)

and on a completely unrelated note 6 mcdonalds, 5 KFC's and 9 burger kings have recently opened in both rome and milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Xavi6 wrote: »

THat explains the Riise deal - £6million, or £4 million and Kewell :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Kewell was a free transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he is PHB, i think he was taking the piss valuing him at minus 2m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

PHB wrote: »
    I thought Kewell was a free transfer?

:rolleyes:

I was valuing Kewell at minus £2 million.

You must be a united supporter, right? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's way too early in the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez wants Spain midfielder David Silva, who is currently playing for cash-strapped Valencia. (Daily Mirror)

If only the mirror wasnt such a piece of ****!!

glad we are at least being linked, thats a few publications that have mentioned an interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

dc69 wrote: »
    here is a link to the gg interview

http://www.fan590.com/media/media.jsp?content=20080619_184313_14164

Doesnt say much but I get the impression from listening to this interview and his last interview that the guy is quite honest and the impression I got from this interview is that he will be giving money for transfers.Make your own minds up.

Did i read that right? He is honest :pac: Kop on. Giving money for transfers? You mean putting the club in more debt.The sooner the better these two clowns **** off back to ice hockey or baseball or whatever they do over in La la land the better.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    You mean putting the club in more debt.The sooner the better these two clowns **** off back to ice hockey or baseball or whatever they do over in La la land the better.

all clubs use loans to fund players the majority of the time. Its these lads ability to repay the loans that is the worrying thing imo.

and Gillette does seem like the serious lesser of two evils, not that i am defending him or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What i'm afraid of is that the americans will just keep taking loans out to fund our players.
    Wont that result in more re-financing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

XABI ALONSO is still planning for life at Anfield next season, as Juventus struggle to meet Liverpool's asking price for the Spanish midfielder.

Alonso has become a reluctant pawn in Rafa Benitez’s need to generate funds for other purchases, but with Juventus finding it difficult to come up with the £16m quoted, Alsonso said: “Where will I be playing next season? At the moment, Liverpool.

“It’s something that I am apart from now, I am totally focusing on the European Championships and whatever happens at Liverpool you will have to ask the club.

“I haven’t been told anything so far, so my plans are to start next season with Liverpool if there is not a change.”

Alonso captained a much-changed Spain side to a 2-1 victory over Greece on Wednesday – and was named man of the match for a classy midfield performance which included two shots which, had they gone in, would have been contenders for goal of the tournament.

The first saw Alonso attempt an effort from the halfway line which flew just inches wide of the top corner of Antonis Nikopolidis' net, while his second was a 30-yard thunderbolt that thumped against the inside of the post before fizzing across the face of the goal.

Alonso, who has twice scored from his own half for Liverpool, has warned opposing goalkeepers he will continue to try his luck from distance.

“I tried to do that with the Spanish team this time, it was close. I will try it again, no problem,” he added.

“It’s tough to stay in the team because I know that the players who have been playing have managed to get us through, but whatever happens, if I play or if I am on the bench, I will be ready to play.

“I think I had a good performance, I don’t know if it was my best one (for Spain). But I am very happy because most of the players have not been playing and the performance was quite good from everyone and we have to be delighted with that.

“It means that whoever plays will be able to perform at this level and that shows the whole squad is good enough.”

Would make a lot of people happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Alonso--Mascherano

Dossena--Carra--Skrtel--Arbeloa

Reina

SUBS:

Carson (or new keeper)
    Agger
    Degen
    Aurelio
    Hyypia
    Lucas
    Plesis
    Benayoun
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    New striker

Id be happy with that!

• Advertisement

The there is actually a bit of a backstory to the Silva links, our Chief Scout Eduardo Macia was coach of the Valencia youth team when he broke through and he helped him get a loan to a club to start his career, and they have remained very close since and are still in contact.

interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tusky wrote: »

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Alonso--Mascherano

Reina

SUBS:

Carson (or new keeper)
    Agger
    Degen
    Aurelio
    Hyypia
    Lucas
    Plesis
    Benayoun
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    New striker

Id be happy with that!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just thought of something interesting if we did get barry, couldn't sell alonso and couldn't get a top top winger, instead getting a milner or something

Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Dossena

Masch--Barry
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

still a big improvement on last season imo...Alonso would be back in his game running position allowed to go forward as he did early on at liverpool, and at sociedad...

Giving money for transfers? You mean putting the club in more debt.
    What,do you think clubs pay for player with surplus cash?
    Did i read that right? He is honest :pac: Kop on.
    He seems like less a prick than hicks from all the interviews I have heard of him.
    .The sooner the better these two clowns **** off back to ice hockey or baseball or whatever they do over in La la land the better.
    They are here for a long time.imo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just thought of something interesting if we did get barry, couldn't sell alonso and couldn't get a top top winger, instead getting a milner or something

Masch--Barry
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

still a big improvement on last season imo...Alonso would be back in his game running position allowed to go forward as he did early on at liverpool, and at sociedad...

It's an interesting one alright, but would Gerrard be happy on the right side of midfield??

Masch--Barry
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

I would be strongly against that. Last season, our biggest goal threats were Gerrard, Torres & Babel. The above is exactly the same situation. We need to add another goal threat.

Didnt we score more goals than the mancs last year tusky?

our problem isnt scoring goals, its consistancy.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Towards the end of the season we had about 10 more goals in all comps, although I'm not sure what the final figures were.

In the league we scored 13 less than them and conceded 6 more. Not a massive difference. I sill think an extra goal threat is needed. If we start next season with Gerrard, Babel & Torres as our main attacking players again...and one of them gets injured. Were ****ed!

Adding a goal scoring wide player would make a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

in the prem they scored 13 more

i'm sure we scored a few more in europe though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Alonso--Mascherano

Reina

SUBS:

Carson (or new keeper)
    Agger
    Degen
    Aurelio
    Hyypia
    Lucas
    Plesis
    Benayoun
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    New striker

Id be happy with that!

Good team, don't know much about Dossena only time will tell I guess.

The bench is poor thou, with maybe apart from Benayoun I can't see anyone coming on as an impact sub, there is no one there that IMO could grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change it.

Big season for Babel, is he a winger or a striker?, he is 22 this year and cost 15 million? Like alot of other expensive youngster in the league it is time to step up.

• Advertisement

Is Babel 22?? I thought he was only 19!!

I think, off the top of my head, if i remember correctly we scored 117 goals last season

apologies about my incorrect assumption!

Babel was 11m Boggles, i wouldnt call next season an especially "big" season for him, be good to see him improve a bit, but still wont really be expecting him to set the world alight. and certainly wont be criticising him if he isnt.

Tusky, yes an extra attacking threat from the wings could make a massive difference for us. Silva please :)

Babel was 11m Boggles,

I stand corrected.

If he were fit was he expected to start for Holland in the Euro's?

not too sure, more impact player with them i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is Babel 22?? I thought he was only 19!!

I think, off the top of my head, if i remember correctly we scored 117 goals last season

22 just before Christmas!

i wouldnt call next season an especially "big" season for him, be good to see him improve a bit, but still wont really be expecting him to set the world alight. and certainly wont be criticising him if he isnt.

Do you not expect much from him because you don't rate him or you think he still needs time?

Boggles wrote: »
    Good team, don't know much about Dossena only time will tell I guess.

The bench is poor thou, with maybe apart from Benayoun I can't see anyone coming on as an impact sub, there is no one there that IMO could grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change it.

Big season for Babel, is he a winger or a striker?, he is 22 this year and cost 15 million? Like alot of other expensive youngster in the league it is time to step up.

Babel played on left of a 4-3-3 for Ajax so kind of as a wide striker. Hes playing almost the same position for Liverpool although not quite as far forward. I would agree with you, it is a big season for him. Hes 22, same age as Ronaldo. I am confident that he will improve. He did score 10 goals in his first season from the wing though, which isnt bad.

In regards to the bench, I would agree with you. Alot will depend on the <new striker> signing. If we had a wee bit more money we would buy another back up winger as well. Who knows, we may end up keeping Penannt.
    I stand corrected.

He started 5 of the 12 qualifiers and came on as a sub for the other 7. With Van Persie fit, I assume he would have been mostly used as a sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Alonso--Mascherano

Nice... but would babel and silva do the same work as bable and kuyt last year especially tracking back?

I think the bench that Tusky has is decent, and one new striker would set it up nicely.
    I honestly dont think were that far off challenging. I mean one win against the mancs closes the gap 6 points.

Do you not expect much from him because you don't rate him or you think he still needs time?

i may have been unclear, i wouldnt be that suprised if he had an excellent season, but think he still seems quite rough around the edges despite his obvious talent, his first touch can be downright awful at times.

wat i more meant was that i dont view this season as being by any means a "make or break" season for him.

• Advertisement

In regards to the bench, I would agree with you. Alot will depend on the <new striker> signing.

Who thou this side of 20 million?, I think Crouch is the perfect impact sub for Liverpool, he was criminally under used last season IMO. Bridges burned there thou and well on his way.

Who thou this side of 20 million?, I think Crouch is the perfect impact sub for Liverpool, he was criminally under used last season IMO. Bridges burned there thou and well on his way.

Yeah I agree. I cant count the amount of times I cursed as Rafa brought on Voronin instead of Crouch. Well if we are selling Crouch for 10m or so I would expect all of that to be put into buying another striker. Most likely candidates ? Who knows. Sergio Garcia, Diego Milito...Ive no idea.

I stand corrected.

He'd have been on the right instead of Kuyt with Robben injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

If Alonso does leave and Rafa doesnt pay the big bucks for Barry who else in the 15m sterling bracket would we get.

raven136 wrote: »
    If Alonso does leave and Rafa doesnt pay the big bucks for Barry who else in the 15m sterling bracket would we get.

If Barry isn't coming, Alonso won't go.

(I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

its my understanding that rafa is choosing to let him go not that he really wants to and thats why we want Barry.Personally i belive we need someone more consistent than xabi,he has been poor for 2 seasons and we cant have that if we want a run a the title.
    Who else would fit straight into the team?

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    its my understanding that rafa is choosing to let him go not that he really wants to and thats why we want Barry.

My understanding is the exact opposite, that Alonso is desperate to stay, but Rafa is cutting him loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

My understanding is the exact opposite, that Alonso is desperate to stay, but Rafa is cutting him loose.

That's the rough side of profesional football. He's good, but just not good enough for the very top level, at leat not in the last 2 years, possibly becuase he's lost what little pace he had. No coincidence that he no longer starts for Spain either, he's just not as good anymore and he was given long enough and enough chances to show his form. Sad to see him go all the same. As for Riise leaving, when's the party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would be strongly against that. Last season, our biggest goal threats were Gerrard, Torres & Babel. The above is exactly the same situation. We need to add another goal threat.

The important part of my statement was "If we get Barry but cant sell alonso, and cant afford a Top Top Winger then..." No point in answering it with getting a goal threatening winger.

Im saying that at least if that all occured which is a worst case scenario really, then we still have a better first team then last year - we would have a top player in every position, rather then a weaker right side which we had for a lot of last season (one could argue against RB but its not a big deal in context).

in shifting gerrard into RWF and giving him the freedom he enjoys, he stays just as much of a goal threat, while also moving Alonso into a position where will definately score more. He's never scored that many, but he's also not been in that part of the pitch much. Imo, he'd increase the chances for the front 3 with his passing from a position further forward, and would also get far far far more opportunities to have shots, and we already know he can really hit them. Dont think he'll be getting as many as Gerrard did there, but he raises their goal totals, as well as getting in or abouts 10 or 15 himself from that position in all comps. As well as this, he's better then Gerrard for stopping attacks so can help turn some of those 1-1's into 1-0's.

As I said, its a worst case scenario, but still looks pretty good to me as a first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.breakingnews.ie

Striker David Villa has repeated his desire to remain at Valencia despite being linked with several clubs, including Liverpool and Chelsea.

The 26-year-old’s stunning form at Euro 2008, where he has scored four goals for Spain in two appearances, has reportedly attracted the attention of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Chelsea among others.

Villa’s name was already on the wanted list of many of Europe’s top clubs thanks to his 18 goals in a campaign to forget for Valencia in La Liga last season, but now the pressure on the club to part with their star seems even greater.

It has been well documented in Spain that the club is struggling financially due to their early exit from the Champions League last season, combined with the costs of building a new stadium and the compensation paid to former coach Ronald Koeman.

This has inevitably led to reports the club will have to sell its top players to stay afloat, with Villa and his Spain team-mate David Silva being the ones most likely to fetch serious money.

But the club directors insist they have financial plans in place to ensure that neither Villa nor Silva have to leave, and will be delighted to hear the former again insist that he wants to stay.

“I left the club to compete in Euro 2008 and, when it ends, I hope to be going back to Valencia,” Villa told Valencian radio station Radio 9.

“I never thought about leaving before (Euro 2008) and I’m not thinking about it now.”

Not that we were ever going to secure his services but in saying all that he has said above a substantial offer for him should secure.

The important part of my statement was "If we get Barry but cant sell alonso, and cant afford a Top Top Winger then..." No point in answering it with getting a goal threatening winger.

Im saying that at least if that all occured which is a worst case scenario really, then we still have a better first team then last year - we would have a top player in every position, rather then a weaker right side which we had for a lot of last season (one could argue against RB but its not a big deal in context).

in shifting gerrard into RWF and giving him the freedom he enjoys, he stays just as much of a goal threat, while also moving Alonso into a position where will definately score more. He's never scored that many, but he's also not been in that part of the pitch much. Imo, he'd increase the chances for the front 3 with his passing from a position further forward, and would also get far far far more opportunities to have shots, and we already know he can really hit them. Dont think he'll be getting as many as Gerrard did there, but he raises their goal totals, as well as getting in or abouts 10 or 15 himself from that position in all comps. As well as this, he's better then Gerrard for stopping attacks so can help turn some of those 1-1's into 1-0's.

As I said, its a worst case scenario, but still looks pretty good to me as a first 11.

Well, its not going to happen so theres no real point debating it. We either sell Alonso and buy Barry (or another CM) or we keep Alonso. We wont start next season with both in the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement