Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    My understanding is the exact opposite, that Alonso is desperate to stay, but Rafa is cutting him loose.

I think that's exactly what Raven136 said. Maybe his wording was a bit ambigious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Tusky wrote: »
    Well, its not going to happen so theres no real point debating it.

If that was the case there would be no posts in this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IrishMike wrote: »
    If that was the case there would be no posts in this thread ;)

zactly.

we've discussed villa's transfer, garcia's return and a thousand other things that probably aren't gonna happen. Why not this?

imo anyway its a decent team selection, balance in midfield, strength in attack, strength in defence. Not as ideal as getting one of the small handful of much coveted attacking wingers, but if that proved impossible with only yet more average/good players willing to come/affordable etc etc, then Barry would still be a purchase which would improve our team, and chances of a title challenge, if used in that formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nice little interview with Carra, top bloke.

http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2008/06/12/537990.html

http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2008/06/11/537911.html

its done in Norway, funny how much the interviewer keeps going on about Riise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Carra is so smart with the interviews,he has his wits about him i.e not talking about players coming to the club etc.Hes a credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Seen this on a site today:

Liverpool are in talks to buy Sergio Aguero from Athletico Madrid, they see him as a perfect partner for Torres who he has experince, Rubén de la Red is already a done deal and Barry. If Liverpool fail to get Aguero they could turn to Obafemi Martins. Finally Jemaine Pennant is wanted by Wigan a deal worth £2.2 Million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Another pre-season friendly announced. Away to Tranmere on 12th July.

Tranmere will host Liverpool in a pre-season friendly at Prenton Park on the 12th July. The Liverpool game is the first of three friendlies to be played at Prenton Park the others being Blackpool and Bolton. It will be the first time the two sides have met since the FA Cup quarter final in 2001, when Liverpool beat Tranmere 4-2 in a highly entertaining game. The last friendly between the two sides was played way back in 1993. Tranmere manager Ronnie Moore told the Clubs official website “This is a mouth watering opportunity for our players to test themselves against some world class opposition who have played at the very top level.” “It’s a game I know both sets of supporters will look forward to and I’m sure there will be a bumper crowd.” “We are grateful to Liverpool for agreeing to play us and look forward to welcoming them to Prenton Park. It should be a fantastic occasion and it is a great way to start our pre-season campaign." It is yet to be confirmed what will happen with the friendly against Cammell Lairds which was also scheduled for this date, although we do expect that the Tranmere youth team will still take on Holyhead on the same date. The ticket details will be announced next week.
    Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

2.2 mill is far too little for Pennant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Liverpool are in talks to buy Sergio Aguero from Athletico Madrid, they see him as a perfect partner for Torres who he has experince, Rubén de la Red is already a done deal and Barry. If Liverpool fail to get Aguero they could turn to Obafemi Martins. Finally Jemaine Pennant is wanted by Wigan a deal worth £2.2 Million.

yes please to all - but we'd be far better off keeping jermaine than selling him for taht price - madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

any links? i would love Aguero, de la Red has looked decent when i've seen him (not much) Rafa has been after him for years, he originally wanted him in the deal for Owen in 2005. may as well take what we can get for pennant, but i would have thought he was worth 4-6m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nothing to back it up unfortunately.. Was just something I stumbled across during the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Wouldn't be too excited wit that.
    Far to many players comin into the team.

Wouldn't be too excited wit that.
    Far to many players comin into the team.

too many?

dossena and degan are by no means starters
    de la red with also find it hard to break into the team only if he'll be of real benefit,
    and we need so badly another attacking option so we're going to be getting someone like aguero etc. which i think is vital anyway.
    and I think Barry would be moving into a position alot consider a luxury position that's next to impossible to have a negative impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mayordenis wrote: »
    too many?

dossena and degan are by no means starters
    de la red with also find it hard to break into the team only if he'll be of real benefit,
    and we need so badly another attacking option so we're going to be getting someone like aguero etc. which i think is vital anyway.
    and I think Barry would be moving into a position alot consider a luxury position that's next to impossible to have a negative impact.

I bet Dossena is a starter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nice little interview with Carra, top bloke.

http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2008/06/12/537990.html

http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2008/06/11/537911.html

its done in Norway, funny how much the interviewer keeps going on about Riise :)

My Norwegian is a tad rusty, didn't catch much of that one........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

5starpool wrote: »
    My Norwegian is a tad rusty, didn't catch much of that one........

the video is in english....

I bet Dossena is a starter.

I would bet he was bought to be a starter,
    but with aurelio(when he's fit) and insua(if he steps up) it's far from guarenteed,
    my point really though is that I can't see it being a year of 5 changed to our 1st team more 5 changes to our squad and the quality of the 1st team I hope anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Call_me_al wrote: »
    the video is in english....

Oh right, I'm with you now Ted.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I would bet he was bought to be a starter,
    but with aurelio(when he's fit) and insua(if he steps up) it's far from guarenteed,
    my point really though is that I can't see it being a year of 5 changed to our 1st team more 5 changes to our squad and the quality of the 1st team I hope anyway.

Well changes to the squad count as well. Rafa will want to give all new players a chance to impress. Hell, look how many games Voronin got early in the season. Id say we will see plenty of Dossena, Degen, Barry and whoever else is signed in the opening couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I couldn't imagine Aguero moving to liverpool,
    I really can't see it
    he is just too good he would be so expensive.

edit: his release clause is 55million

Chelsea made an offer for that amount on 8th of june it had to be accepted but the player rejected the proposed contract,
    he is happy where he is.

Well changes to the squad count as well. Rafa will want to give all new players a chance to impress. Hell, look how many games Voronin got early in the season. Id say we will see plenty of Dossena, Degen, Barry and whoever else is signed in the opening couple of months.

true true,
    but I think voronin should stop being used as an example - especially early in the season he was always lively and more often than not was a threat (mostly to jenna jameson),
    I think josemi and nunez would be more apt but I think rafa's liverpool have come a long way from josemi and nunez and kromkamp and pellegrino :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I couldn't imagine Aguero moving to liverpool,
    I really can't see it
    he is just too good he would be so expensive.

edit: his release clause is 55million

Chelsea made an offer for that amount on 8th of june it had to be accepted but the player rejected the proposed contract,
    he is happy where he is.

I second this - random punter from unattributable source - forgett it ( also dela red seems unlikely until the cronaldo situation is sorted first and penant for 2.2 seems close to peanuts esp given no buying team is mentioned.

Aguero is way way way way doen the list of possible signings given his contract situation ( i am drunkish and i know that}

de-riculos speculation ahoy with this one -

as to the bought to be a starter - id imagine and hope tis a case of perform or fall down the pecking order - for the amount of £££ paid for Dossena I'd imagine he would be a starter for us for the first game - if he doesnt perform then down the ranking he goes (and rightly so) - im of the opinion that competition for starting places results in better performances as a result of cut-throat competition.

without doubt we have improved from the nunez/pellegrino/josemi days and i would argue that this is as a direct result of rafa's improvement of the squad - imho he is the best manager going - compared to what he has done for LFC since he arrived in such a horrible situation I don't think there is anyonw to touch him (in other words if we have Wenger/Mourihno/Ferguson take off from where Rafa took over I think all of them would be behind where we are now in terms of our squad - maybe tis cos i is drunk but i just think Rafa has taken us so much forward than any of these three or of any other random manager/punter you may care to mention. RAFA 4 EVER {im drunk - was at a very fun bbq and need to sleep now - also turkish r bstards cos croats have hotter chicks)

I second this - random punter from unattributable source - forgett it ( also dela red seems unlikely until the cronaldo situation is sorted first and penant for 2.2 seems close to peanuts esp given no buying team is mentioned.

Aguero is way way way way doen the list of possible signings given his contract situation ( i am drunkish and i know that}

de-riculos speculation ahoy with this one -

as to the bought to be a starter - id imagine and hope tis a case of perform or fall down the pecking order - for the amount of £££ paid for Dossena I'd imagine he would be a starter for us for the first game - if he doesnt perform then down the ranking he goes (and rightly so) - im of the opinion that competition for starting places results in better performances as a result of cut-throat competition.

without doubt we have improved from the nunez/pellegrino/josemi days and i would argue that this is as a direct result of rafa's improvement of the squad - imho he is the best manager going - compared to what he has done for LFC since he arrived in such a horrible situation I don't think there is anyonw to touch him (in other words if we have Wenger/Mourihno/Ferguson take off from where Rafa took over I think all of them would be behind where we are now in terms of our squad - maybe tis cos i is drunk but i just think Rafa has taken us so much forward than any of these three or of any other random manager/punter you may care to mention. RAFA 4 EVER {im drunk - was at a very fun bbq and need to sleep now - also turkish r bstards cos croats have hotter chicks)

bahahahaha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Ray of Hope Appeal newsletter

The Ray of Hope Appeal

Four months on.

If someone had told us last year that we would have raised nearly £30,000, exclusive of the PFA money set aside for building work, for the Ray of Hope Appeal we would have snorted a collective “I wish.” Yet, as we approach our fifth month of fundraising we find ourselves in that position. We would like to thank everyone for this.

The six trustees have been fortunate enough to receive kind comments from across the football world for our endeavours but the simple truth is that it is every single person who has put their hand in their pocket who deserves the thanks, the people who have put time and effort into fundraising schemes and, from a club perspective, the employees of other clubs who have stayed late, come out of meetings to greet us and those who have organised press conferences for a man who hasn’t even played for their club (and probably scored against them in his time).

The night at Anfield in February still burns in our minds. Alan Kennedy, the great George Sephton, Liz McClarnon and James from Starsailor helped us kick off the campaign in style but that was only the start. Events have sprung up from all over the place to help Ray. Here are a few examples;

Irish Kop, already significant donors in the early days of the Appeal, held another fund raising night and came up with over £1,000 for Ray. Pam must be sick to death of us thanking her by now!

Andy McGuire ran a quiz night on St Patrick’s night in Coleraine and raised £450.

Keith Perkins and all at those at LFC Vancouver have raised £555 in various collections during the Liverpool – Arsenal matches. They’re only a small group of fanatical Liverpool fans which makes this incredible total, particularly given that the Canadian dollar isn’t too strong, all the more impressive. A big thank you to Ste Speed who was indispensable throughout.

This Is Anfield.com raised £120 by playing Everton fans from NSNO.co.uk. Thanks to Max Munton for organising this. Again, this embraces the spirit of the Appeal as both Everton fans and Everton Football Club have donated to the cause.

Mike Humphrey and the supporters from the LFC Toronto branch held a benefit for Ray and raised £1,000. Again, an astonishing effort from far afield. The Toronto lads even received advertising on the national radio station the FAN 509 as well as CTV Sportsnet. Excellent work.

Meyrick D’Souza from East of Anfield in Singapore collected S$500 from a Liverpool shirt signed by Jason McAteer.

Neil Thomas of Madrid got together with some mates during “the trilogy” in April and sent us e400, some of which include their Grand National winnings. That’s dedication. Have a look here. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil.c...ey=LbA8HGFgv7A

Arsenal fanzine writer Ewen Cook interviewed both Ray and the Appeal for the Arsenal – Liverpool league game programme in April and kindly donated his fee.

A massive thank you to Chris Philips who organised the fans’ game between Arsenal and Liverpool fans in “trilogy” week in Hatfield. Another £1,000+ was raised and new friends were made. We’re looking into making this an annual event from now on. The score ended 3-3, a little disappointing from our point of view as we led 3-1 at one stage but we can’t complain. Word has it that some of their lads had been training!

We’ve also just heard that proceeds from Tales From The Travelling Kop currently stand at £650. A huge thanks to Richie Buxton who volunteered his services way before the campaign got into swing.

The Merseyside Branch of the Official Liverpool Supporters Group have donated a cheque for £1,000 to the Appeal at their recent forum night. We would like to thank Les Lawson for his help here. The cheque was presented to us by no lesser person than Rafa Benitez, who wished us luck.

Let’s not forget that the Parkinson’s Disease Society receive 10% of all donations so your help has just under £3,000 for them too.

What else? Well, there was the small matter of the 92 club tour. Our idea was for three of the trustees to write to all 92 league clubs requesting a signed item of memorabilia, hire a car and run around the country, shouting at the Sat Nav and eating food of negligible nutritional value. Ladies and gentlemen, if you ever plan to do this take one piece of advice from us. Don’t. Well, that’s a bit harsh. Let’s say “don’t unless you plan every second of it, can do without sleep and don’t mind a bit of “man odour” from time to time. We wouldn’t have missed it for the world though. We now have some items up on Ebay. Look out for the ROHA shop. Tell your non-Liverpool/Arsenal mates. We will also be launching our new website soon.

So what’s next? Well, we want to keep planning events in advance so we can keep the coverage going. We’re in talks with Arsenal about having a fundraising night with them for early next season. Back in Liverpool there’s talk of a gourmet night in Daniel Agger’s restaurant. News to follow.

At the moment there’s a Euro Prediction game going on for the summer tournament with 50% of all money raised going to the Appeal – the rest goes on prizes. If you’re quick, and you’d have to be, you can take part by emailing rayofhopeappeal@hotmail.co.uk . More details here. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...3764557&ref=mf

Donations are undoubtedly the most important factor of the Appeal but a pleasing by-product is the fact that people are talking about Ray Kennedy again. LFC TV, who have been outstanding in helping us spread the word, recently ran a documentary called “Ray” with clips from the launch night and interviews with John Keith, Nicky Altt, Dave Kirkby and, best of all, Jimmy Case. We sent Ray a copy of this and he absolutely loved it.

Speaking of Ray, we visited him during the 92 club tour. They say that you should never meet your heroes but for the three of us, fanatical Reds who can still remember what an immense player he was, it was something we had wanted to do. We’ll confess that we were a little edgy about meeting the great man as we didn’t know what to expect. I personally never thought I’d be sitting on his couch and laughing at his jokes. He was watching the Liverpool – Blackburn game when his son took us in. He gave us all a firm handshake and thanked us, and thus you, for the work of the Appeal. We chatted for a while and then discussed what we needs. The bathroom is the most obvious choice. At first glance it looks fine but as Ray’s mobility decreases (mostly from balance problems) the more specialised his home will have to be. We also discussed some furniture that will help him manoeuvre around his bedroom and have taken steps to order some equipment for him. These are items Ray couldn’t possibly afford without your help and assistance so when you make a donation, however small, it is here where the difference is felt.

As for Ray’s condition it is perhaps the cruellest thing of all is that despite his bodily condition, his mind is unaffected. Ray Kennedy was laughing and joking with us as we talked about his career and looked through his amazing scrapbooks as any man proud of his career would but it’s also obvious that he’s an ill man. Again, we don’t want to go into specific detail as it’s his affair but suffice to say that we left his home more focussed on the Appeal more than ever before. Yes, we’ve raised a lot of money and it will all help Ray for the next few years but we will never stop asking for your help and support.

To end, a reminder that there’s a Paypal account set up for online donations - please pay all donations to rayofhopeappeal@hotmail.co.uk. Alternatively, please pay direct contributions to the Ray of Hope Appeal c/o HSBC account 21817299 sort-code 40-03-27. Paying direct or doing a bank transfer will avoid Paypal commission.

Thank you all again

The Ray of Hope Appeal

the Ray of Hope Appeal website is now up and running - please take a look at the following link

http://www.rayofhopeappeal.org.uk/

the newsletter above is located here on the site url: http://www.rayofhopeappeal.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=20

great site, well done to the people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Aguero is so ****ing good, but he would actually cost 30-40 million, and I don't think he wants to leave yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

bahahahaha

+1
    :D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

well after watching Arshavin tonight, my dream shopping list just got a major overhaul

:)LOL:)

he is class alright.

and Rafa was in the stands, so you never know!;)

dardoz wrote: »
    well after watching Arshavin tonight, my dream shopping list just got a major overhaul

Mine too. He is absolutely immense. You would swear you were watching Kaka at times. What surprised me is that the guy is 27 and still playing in Russia.

So Villa & Arsharvin then ? 50m should get the both of them :D
    The 27-year-old is being tracked by clubs from Italy, Spain, France, Germany and England - with the likes of Newcastle, Manchester City, Everton and more recently Arsenal said to be interested.

Now Advocaat has confirmed that Arshavin want to move to one of Europe's biggest leagues.

"Andrei has told us that he wishes to change clubs," Advocaat told reporters on Friday.

"At present, in the way of offers, it is quiet.

"The situation may well change after the game against Holland for the national side.

Surely it would be worth a cheeky bid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

From Guillems website...

"A few days back, Pepe Reina and his parents had dinner with David Villa, Fernando Torres and all of their parents."

Why can't I stop dreaming about it eve though I know he's not coming... the upsetting thig is you know he'd move in an INSTANT if we put in a decent bid and it got accepeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    the upsetting thig is you know he'd move in an INSTANT if we put in a decent bid and it got accepeted.

Didn't he say he wants to stay in Spain?? I hope to god he doesn't go to Pool. That would be one serious partnership up front. Would put Cole and Yorke to shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

deisedevil wrote: »
    Didn't he say he wants to stay in Spain?? I hope to god he doesn't go to Pool. That would be one serious partnership up front. Would put Cole and Yorke to shame!

Well moving to Pool would be like staying in Spain just with more rain!!! :)

I wouldn't worry about it though. It's not happening. We're not in for him according to every report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    From Guillems website...

"A few days back, Pepe Reina and his parents had dinner with David Villa, Fernando Torres and all of their parents."

Why can't I stop dreaming about it eve though I know he's not coming... the upsetting thig is you know he'd move in an INSTANT if we put in a decent bid and it got accepeted.

Fupping tease.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't want to jinx Arshavin but remember that Salif Diao looked quite handy in the 2002 World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

David Villa linked to Spurs.

Stopping laughing at the back.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

just read that. Spurs are actaully gonna be a good team to watch this year. I don't se Villa going to them despite how tempting Juande can be, but they have already made some really good buys.

Spurs are actaully gonna be a good team to watch this year.

A lot of people taught the same last season myself included,you just never know with Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

malice_ wrote: »
    I don't want to jinx Arshavin but remember that Salif Diao looked quite handy in the 2002 World Cup.

I hear what your saying about Diao, but Arshavin looks a quality player, Diao was more of a headless chicken. Pluss apparently, £10m is what it would cost for Arshavin, and maybe throw Voronin is an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ive tracked arshavin the last year or so and my russian mates have watched him the last few years and he is pure quality, not just a one tournament wonder. He was the big part in Pavalyushenkos goals for RUssia when they beat England (he was involved in the penalty).

Wouldnt mind The Pavster either as a replacment for Crouch, but apparently hes linked with a move to Barca.

At 10million he'll be bargain of the century, but i can see it being closer to 15m and if Chelsea decide to buy him its game over seeing as theres the Russian connection. Plus Zenit are owned by the biggest gas extraction company in the world so aernt exactly short of a few quid so dont think moneys a massive issue, Arshavins sale will be all down to where he wants to go and reports from Petersburg say he favours a move to Arsenal, he'd be immnese in that team. But imagine him and torres linking up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

10 million that wouldn't be a bad price, and wouldn't be wasted money as the chap is a complete workhorse and Rafa has plenty of love for them lads,

go on Arshavin!!

spurs linked with villa, rofl.:D

still hoping he is coming to liverpool and rafa and him have a deal to keep it quiet until after the euro's. Hoping that's why rafa has been quiet enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spurs could get Villa. Why? Because nobody else will pay the price that Valencia demand. Same thing nearly happened with Rooney and Newcastle, then United stepped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hear what your saying about Diao, but Arshavin looks a quality player, Diao was more of a headless chicken. Pluss apparently, £10m is what it would cost for Arshavin, and maybe throw Voronin is an exchange.
    I can't see Arshavin going for £10 million if he does well against Italy or Spain in the semi final; try twice that especially if Chelsea get involved.

As for a Liverpool based player exchange, I'd say £15 million for Arshavin or £16.5 million for Arshavin + Voronin would be fair enough especially since we can't use Riise as a bargaining chip any more ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

God i hope you are wrong on that on. What a waste of a move if so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the Arshavin thing - I read elsewhere that when Liverpool bought Skrtel they wanted Arshavin as well but wouldn't meet the £8m valuation. Doh !!!

Cant see them paying more than that now.:(

Also himself and Skrtel are meant to be good mates.

Rumours that his wage is around the £50k per week ( also seen a figure of c £3m a year) which in Russia probably equates to the purchasing power of double that.

Rafa is def aware of him - was at the match last night.

Apparently Newcastle made an £11m a few weeks ago, also there were reports that Arsenal bid £10m in some papers but I don't buy it.(The Arsenal bid story, mainly due to Nasri) I think the Newcastle offer was turned down - he has champion league football with Zenith and wanted to go to a big club :)
    Wonder what the Newcastle fans would think of that one.

As to going to Chelsea - Petersburg are owned by a rival oligarch to Abramhovich so just cos there's a Russian connection doesnt mean he's likely to go there, probably means he less likely to go.

My guess is he ends up in Italy - no real support just a bit of a hunch.

Regarding the Villa to Spurs from reading lots of reports my feeling is he will stay in Spain. I do think they would have the money, though - seem to be spending like there's no tomorrow. Also if Berbatov leaves the only strikers they have left are Keane and Bent, so could well be interested.
    On the other hand saw a report Villa and Torres had dinner with Rafa on Thursday. :confused:
    Best headline I've come accross "Rafa wants Spanish Villa with Pool":p

You could be onto something with the italian thing, Ancelloti has stated his interest iirc

22 June 2008
    HOTLINE: RAFA BID TO STALL VAN DEAL
    EXCLUSIVE BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
    By Dave Kidd

Liverpool are ready to hijack Chelsea's move for £15million Dutch star Rafael Van der Vaart.

Kop boss Rafa Benitez hopes to sign the Hamburg midfielder after tying up Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

Chelsea's sporting director Frank Arnesen had been working on a deal to sign Van der Vaart, 25, but new boss Phil Scolari is not keen.

Scolari favours Portugal trio Deco, Joao Moutinho and Ricardo Quaresma while his priority remains a top-class striker.

That leaves it clear for Benitez to reunite Van der Vaart with Dutch pal Dirk Kuyt.

Liverpool are also interested in German Marko Marin, 19.

Advertisement

The 19-year-old, who plays for Borussia Monchengladbach, did not make Euro 2008, but Benitez is mulling over a £6million move.

Meanwhile, free agent Harry Kewell will be watched by Valencia when Australia play China in a World Cup qualifier today.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=hotline-rafa-bid-to-stall-van-deal&method=full&objectid=20617562&siteid=93463-name_page.html

People rave about him but Ive never been that impressed when Ive seen him. Ive not seen too much of him though.

man tusky you give out so much about all our potential signings and then we get linked with someone who is an absolute class act - and your again not impressed - he is dynamite

tusky gives out about everything.

fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Goal.com is reporting that Madrid will have to sell 6 players to finance Ronaldo deal.
    Esteban Granero, Rubén De la Red, Álvaro Negredo and Javi García could all be sold on despite enjoying successful spells on loan last term that looked to be enough to earn them a recall to Bernd Schuster's squad.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=746602

I believe we have been linked with De La Red previously. Not sure how eager they would be to sell him to us though......I think they were a little upset when we stole Gerrardo Bruna "The Messi Of Madrid" from them. I think someone mentioned a few pages back that there might be a legal action from Madrid for over the incident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement