Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mayordenis wrote: »
    man tusky you give out so much about all our potential signings and then we get linked with someone who is an absolute class act - and your again not impressed - he is dynamite
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    tusky gives out about everything.

fact

Well in fairness I pleaded ignorance about VDV. I wasnt giving out about him. Have you been impressed with him during Euro 08 ? I thought he was fairly anonymous.

Apart from the euros, I only remember seeing him about 5 or 6 times. Most people seem to rave about him so I assume hes good :)

Considering he is so highly rated, I would be very happy if we signed him...hence, not giving out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Van de vart is a midfielder right?!
    Surely we have enough of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

we are going for Barry, VDV would be the target in his place if its true that Rafa is ****ing off O'Neil and Villa i presume

Gerrardo Bruna "The Messi Of Madrid" from them. I think someone mentioned a few pages back that there might be a legal action from Madrid for over the incident.

Forgot about this guy. Whats the story with him? I remember we went on a bit of a rout there buying up a lot of younger players.
    Are they even gonna get a chance?

Rafa is ****ing off O'Neil and Villa i presume

He he snigger he he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

VDV is class in FM :)
    He seems a decent player, never really reached his potential but seems to be now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

we are going for Barry, VDV would be the target in his place if its true that Rafa is ****ing off O'Neil and Villa i presume

Not according to Tuskys story:

Kop boss Rafa Benitez hopes to sign the Hamburg midfielder after tying up Aston Villa's Gareth Barry

Wtf is that all about? We can afford Barry and £15m for VDV? Why do we need both anyway.

Tuskys article was from? the people? say its ****e.

if we are in VDV cant see it being as anything other than an alternative to Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

VDV is a lot more attacking than Barry or Alonso. He'd do well in one of our advanced midfield positions.

A dutch attacking trio of Babel-VDV-Kuyt?

VDV isn't an alternative to Barry. He's an attacking midfielder who would work well in Liverpools current system, as its quite similar to how Holland play.

• Advertisement

apologies, i thought VDV was more of a classic midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Forgot about this guy. Whats the story with him? I remember we went on a bit of a rout there buying up a lot of younger players.

He's 17 since January. He was playing for the reserves last year. Apparantly part of the deal in signing him was that he'd play for the reserves, but train with the first team. I'm guessing he'll play a more prominent role in the reserves this year, and maybe start to step up towards the end of the year, like Insua & Plessis did in the year just gone.....unless he absolutely sets the reserves alight and Rafa thinks he might be worth giving a chance to. The extra two substitute places for each match might improve his chances of seeing some first team football earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Van de vart is a midfielder right?!
    Surely we have enough of them.

VDV prefers to play central.
    Just off the striker, in the "Gerrard" role.
    He can play on the right, cutting in, like Babel does on the left.
    He's really left-footed, but what a left foot!!!

He's only 17.
    He's being babied a bit, cause he really is one of the biggest natural talents in years.
    He's thought of as being the new Messi, but that's not overly accurate.
    He's more of a left winger.
    Amazing skill, and looks a real, real, prospect.
    Rafa flew to Madrid to talk to his family in order to convince him to come to us.
    This was when he was just 16!!!
    As Rosboy said, he was promised to walk straight into the reserves, and to train with the first team if he came.
    I'm really excited about his potential to be honest.

God!
    Dunphy just went on about how he considers Silva to be completey brainless!!!

Saying that he was rubish.

God the guy's a joke.
    A funny one, but a joke all the same!

Slopey shoulders!!!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

VDV would slot into Gerrards role leaving Gerrard to either go RWF or back into CM if Barry stays where he belongs.

VDV would slot into Gerrards role leaving Gerrard to either go RWF or back into CM if Barry stays where he belongs.

Gerrard is fine where he is. Anyway , where would Mascherano go? Cant see us being let play 4-5-1-1.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Gerrard is fine where he is. Anyway , where would Mascherano go? Cant see us being let play 4-5-1-1.

I imagine he means the following

Torres

Silva
    VDV
    Babel

Masch----Gerrard

Obviously the above is very presumptuous! I'd actually love us to play 4-1-3-1.

Torres---<new>

<new>----Gerrard
    Babel

Mascherano

If you signed Silva/VDV and Villa, I could see a system like this

Torres
    --Silva
    Villa
    Gerrard-

Where most players can swap between positions.
    Those front 4 are very flexible and changeable, and it seemed to be the system Rafa favoured towards the end of the last season.

PHB wrote: »

Torres
    --Silva
    Villa
    Gerrard-

Those front 4 are very flexible and changeable, and it seemed to be the system Rafa favoured towards the end of the last season.

Silva & Gerrard can play across any of the attacking 3 positions. Villa would probably rather be more central so that could definitely work.

If we sign Villa AND Silva I will gladly streak down Grafton street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Tusky wrote: »
    I imagine he means the following

Torres

Silva
    VDV
    Babel

Masch----Gerrard

thats exactley what i meant. nice team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If we sign Villa AND Silva I will gladly streak down Grafton street.

Havent you heard Tusky - Dossena and Degen are going to legally change their names to Silva and Villa :)

Hostage to fortune time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

PHB wrote: »

Torres
    --Silva
    Villa
    Gerrard-

slot barry and masch behind them and that would be decent eh :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I actually think Stevie would be even better with that kind of floating top four in operation. I'd be happy with VDV and Barry as our two major signings, along with a decent forward (forget Villa it's not happening) maybe someone like Zarate, I know he's been mentioned but he just looks like he would suit us so well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Podolski!

He seems to be angling for a move from Bayern. He has a very similar style to Torres, and could cover for him in the current system, as well as playing from a deeper position. If we get £8-10 million for Crouch, an extra few million should be enough to bring him to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Doesn't Podolski want first team football though... I doubt he'd start enough here to entice him. We need a guy happy enough to sit on the bench but good enough to play in the first team if needed (i.e. NOT a Voronin)!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Actually, Am I the only person who thinks Silva looked very limited last night?

I gotta say, I don't know if he would give us the added width we need, he seems to want to come in off the flanks A LOT, not just when he's playing on theright.

He also seems to be a bit slow to spot a pass and wastes quite a lot of attacking opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wasn't terribly impressed either, but then none of the Spain team apart from the keeper and Fabregas caught the eye last night.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i see your point about silva. he looked limited last night but if you were lookin at a certain Mr Torres last night as a potential signing you would have thought he was pretty bad too!! he looked very poor last night but thank god we have him right!! maybe the same will happen with silva..

• Advertisement

You know, the more I hear people here exaggerating about how bad Voronin is, the more I hope he comes good and shuts ye all up.

The fact that Torres was so amazing in his first season seems to make people forget that most players take time to adjust to moving to the premiership.
    Add on to that the fact that he broke his leg and missed half the season, and the fact that it's well known that Voronin isn't a scorer, and people really need to lay off a bit.
    He's always been the kind of player who makes goals for his strike partner.

Anyway. 6 Goals and 7 assists in 25 appearances (half of them as a sub or playing on the wing) isn't as bad as most of ye make out.

Remember the 8-0 Besiktas game?
    He was integral in the build up for 5 of those goals!
    The guy does a lot for the team, even if he does try some ridiculous shots some times!

I really do think that he'll be a lot more prolific next year.

And if not, he is "The Game", and he can always just pedigree the opposition into submission!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Torres---<new>

<new>----Gerrard
    Babel

Mascherano

I would like the idea of getting another decent striker but I think Babel on the right would be a waste, think he's awfull there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

mike65 wrote: »
    Wasn't terribly impressed either, but then none of the Spain team apart from the keeper and Fabregas caught the eye last night.

Mike.

Reminded me of a certain Luis Garcia. Gave away a few easy passes, got pushed of the ball easily. He could be very lightweight in the Prem. He couldn't be over 10 stone!

flanzer wrote: »
    Reminded me of a certain Luis Garcia. Gave away a few easy passes, got pushed of the ball easily. He could be very lightweight in the Prem. He couldn't be over 10 stone!

Cause everyone knows that Messi is 15 stone of pure muscle!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Cause everyone knows that Messi is 15 stone of pure muscle!

Well he did say 'in the prem'... never seen Messi play a season in England..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

spockety wrote: »

ye but he walked through United's defence seemingly at will.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

mormank wrote: »
    i see your point about silva. he looked limited last night but if you were lookin at a certain Mr Torres last night as a potential signing you would have thought he was pretty bad too!! he looked very poor last night but thank god we have him right!! maybe the same will happen with silva..

Well, you could say that. But it's blatantly obvious the Spanish system doesn't suit Torres. On top of that, he really looks like he knows it and at times doesn't look interested.

I remember for years since Torres was 16 and I saw him playing a few times, he often looked very lethargic and lazy. That's exactly how he looked last night to me. But I think thats down to him not liking the system they play.

Silva on the other hand does as some have pointed out, look very very light for the premiership. He did remind me of Garcia last night.

I'd also like to point out, I don't think he really has the ability to beat players. He just runs the long way around a defender (cuts inside) rather than going at him and leaving him for dead behind and therefore getting in behind the defence.

Arshavin is 10 times the player that Silva is. He's about the same height I would guess, but far stronger on the ball and has more speed and trickery to beat players.

Lets hope we can convince Arshavin Liverpool isn't too far off Spain, and give him a house with a nice sunbed inside :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Arseshaving is 27 though so cant see Rafa spending big money on him as he is
    reportedly already on £50k a week + bonuses at Zenit.

Plus this appeared in the papers today
    Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin has told Spanish newspaper AS he has had offers from clubs in England and Germany but admitted "what I really want is to play in the Spanish League, in the Primera Division." (Press Association, 1036 BST)

Some player though, strong as an ox, quick, 2 footed, can beat people, can cross, works non
    stop for the team and can score.
    Talking about the complete package.
    All he cant do is play in goals id say!!!!!!

dardoz wrote: »
    Actually, Am I the only person who thinks Silva looked very limited last night?

I gotta say, I don't know if he would give us the added width we need, he seems to want to come in off the flanks A LOT, not just when he's playing on theright.

He also seems to be a bit slow to spot a pass and wastes quite a lot of attacking opportunities.

Which of the Spanish attackers impressed you last night ? Iniesta, Villa, Torres certainly didnt have very good games. I thought Silva was one of the better Spanish players. Its tough when you are playing against 11 Italians who are camped behind the ball for the entire game.

That pitch was extremely narrow, no surprise Silva was poor

spockety wrote: »

So you're saying that you'd turn him down!!!

The point is that too much is made of the physicality of the premiership.
    A clever, skillfull player can use it to his advantage.
    Did Torres himslf not come out and say a few weeks back that the premiership defenders rely on strenght way too much, and that it makes things easy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

flanzer wrote: »
    He could be very lightweight in the Prem.

I think Silva's size could be an obstacle in the prem. In the past couple of years the league seems to favour more physicall wingers, the likes of Lennon, SWP and even Cole arn't getting a kick.

Found this at the tail end of an article in the Echo about the credi crunch.
    Reports that the Reds are considering a £15m swoop for Hamburg winger Rafael van der Vaart, meanwhile, are wide of the mark.

Completing Gareth Barry’s transfer from Aston Villa remains Rafa Benitez’s priority, with any future purchases dependent on the sales of Xabi Alonso and Peter Crouch.

Juventus are still short of Liverpool’s valuation of their £16m rated Spanish playmaker, while there has been no contact from Portsmouth – formal or informal – regarding Crouch.

That article suggests that we have 15m to spend + money from transfers. Assuming that Finnan & Riise pay for Dossena that leaves about 25m from Alonso & Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

And if not, he is "The Game", and he can always just pedigree the opposition into submission!!! :D

Seperated at birth??

hhh.jpg

voronin_andriy.jpg

tonc76 wrote: »
    And if not, he is "The Game", and he can always just pedigree the opposition into submission!!!
    Seperated at birth??

andriy-voronin.jpg

Triple-H5.jpg

voronin.jpg

tripleh04.jpg

photo.php?type=original&id=11724209930&x=250

214620388.jpeg

ufnvoronin.jpg

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Cant see that happening.
    He would go for small money and wouldnt be possible to replace his contribution with a small outlay.
    Important squad player who will still be there in Sept id imagine.

Harry is such a ****ing wheeler dealer. He goes on about wanting Crouch, but thinking 15m is too much, if it was 10-ish he'd be intereset. We then make it known that we'd let him go for 10m ish, and he hasnt even put in a bid! Now talking about Yossi?

Just put in ****ing bids and stop talking ya schiester!

Tottenham appear to have little hope of signing David Villa from Valencia after the Spain striker referred to Premier League rivals Liverpool and Chelsea as potentially attractive destinations. (Daily Mail, 1357 BST)

Dont go to chelsea David

colly10 wrote: »
    I would like the idea of getting another decent striker but I think Babel on the right would be a waste, think he's awfull there

Maybe he's on the left with Torres in the holding role and Masch up front.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement