Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Dont go to chelsea David

Don't worry about it - it's the same old quotes being rehashed time & time again. Here's the article in question:
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1028749/Spain-star-Villa-set-snub-Spurs-admits-Liverpool-Chelsea-hold-lot-appeal.html?ITO=1490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They're getting good legs out of that story.

There will be no quotes from any players still in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zAbbo wrote: »
    They're getting good legs out of that story.

There will be no quotes from any players still in the tournament.

anyone else think that the fact Dossena still hasn't been announced that he, along with any other signings, will be announced together presumably on July 1st? we could indeed get that surprise Ballague was talking about if Rafa has managed to keep the closing of the dossena deal quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Id love to think it was a bit more a surprise... bigger name .. but yeah quite possible the deal could be wrapped up and waiting on the opening day of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Call_me_al wrote: »
    anyone else think that the fact Dossena still hasn't been announced that he, along with any other signings, will be announced together presumably on July 1st? we could indeed get that surprise Ballague was talking about if Rafa has managed to keep the closing of the dossena deal quiet.

Was kind of thinking that too, but at the same time, Rafa came out and commented on Degen when it was a done deal and the website had a big 'Degen is a red' story, while nothing has officially come on Dossena. I think a few details probably need to be done there, but that the deal is effectively done. He got married in the meantime (flew to liverpool the day before the wedding, which probably has his new wife not impressed with us!), so that might have caused a little delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He got married in the meantime (flew to liverpool the day before the wedding, which probably has his new wife not impressed with us!).

Stag night in liverpool.
    X in the city ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Quaresma has left Porto, but hasn't revealed who he has signed for yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Now if only villa would do the same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kinda hope its not Quaresma tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would be better than a lot of the tat we have been linked with Al.

attitude is awful though, i think i'd prefer Milner or Downing tbh.

i actually really dislike Quaresma, that wouldnt change if he signed for us unless his attitude changed MAJORLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well the guy who said that Rafa has a surprise in store (Ballague) has also said that we wont be signing Queresma.

Possibly ? http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=20

Call_me_al wrote: »

Read somewhere that Dossena was all done & dusted bar Parry's signature on the contracts. And the delay in him signing them was that - yup you guessed it - he was off on his holiers when Dossena was over for his medical, etc.. And has been mentioned already Dossena supposedly got married just after he'd done the medical, etc.. and is probably still on honeymoon/holidays which would probably explain the ongoing delay.

Balague has said that it wouldn't be quaresma-too much baggage apparently.
    I thought i read somewhere he was going to follow scolari to chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Could the surprise be Henry? How little could we get him for?

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    bar Parry's signature on the contracts. And the delay in him signing them was that - yup you guessed it - he was off on his holiers

I swear how that man is still in the job amazes me.
    The best thing that hicks ever said was about getting rid of him.he's useless.

That oh so reliable of sources - The Daily Mail - reporting we've turned down a 9m bid from Pompey for Crouch and that both Villa & Silva are targets (with G&H still not having told Rafa how much he has to spend).

I'm not sure how true that is about Parry being on holidays

Mr Alan - I'm not either but I do remember reading it. Fowler knows where though.

Even if it is true it's not really a big deal as long as the negotiations/bargaining took place regardless. His signature is just a formality and I doubt if Dossena would care too much if it was delayed by a few weeks - esp given that he himself wouldn't be around.

Fowler knows where though.

Eh? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eh? :confused:

Fowler knows where = God knows where.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Fowler knows where = God knows where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is demanding £50m to secure the transfers of Daniel Alves, David Silva and Gareth Barry. (The Mirror)

Doubt that is even remotely true to say the least.
    Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has failed with a £9m bid for Liverpool striker Peter Crouch. (Daily Star)

Another 3m onto that price and we will all be happy Harry!
    Boss Roy Hodgson is also keen on bringing Liverpool defender Steve Finnan back to Craven Cottage. (The Times)

Would be a good move for all concerned i would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

3 - 5 mill for Steve finnan would be decent business. 50 mill for those three sounds a bit cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

£5m for Finnan? no chance
    More like £2m-£3m i would imagine

Dont really want Alves, too much money and is a damn cheating diver.
    Annoys the crap out of me because he cant defend, yet he is a full back

Interesting to note that both the Mail & Mirror carried similar stories about Rafa looking for 50m and both listing Villa & Silva as targets but the Mirror throws Alves into the mix too. Barry/Silva/Villa == 50m Vs Alves/Barry/Silva/Villa == 50m ? Something not quite right there.

One paper rehashing a story from the other ? Wouldn't be the first time. Or maybe Rafa is trying to use the media to his gain again ? Most likely the former..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Interesting to note that both the Mail & Mirror carried similar stories about Rafa looking for 50m and both listing Villa & Silva as targets but the Mirror throws Alves into the mix too. Barry/Silva/Villa == 50m Vs Alves/Barry/Silva/Villa == 50m ? Something not quite right there.

One paper rehashing a story from the other ? Wouldn't be the first time. Or maybe Rafa is trying to use the media to his gain again ? Most likely the former..

Yeah most likely complete and utter garbage!
    Wonder what Fulhams record signing price was? They would hardly spend £5m on Finnan 5 years after selling him for £3.5m? We will be lucky to get £1.5m for him to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

also is alves not going to barca for 25m or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alves has signed for Barca.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3664769,00.html

Shocking journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »

Shocking journalism.

Shocking why?

It has quotes, he's happy with the move.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Shocking why?

presume he means shocking on behalf of the papers linking him with us despite having already gone to barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

DesF wrote: »
    Shocking why?

I assume PHB is referring to the Mirror story this morning that names Alves as one of the players Rafa is demanding money to sign. :confused:

think the shocking part is the english papers saying that liverpool want to buy him while forgetting the minor detail that he just moved to Barca

We could of had him for half that if rafa was given funds.
    Sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sigh...

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sigh...

Very true. In the past seasons, we've also been chasing with the likes of Aguero and Villa before they made their moves. If he had been backed, we could be looking at a very different Liverpool team!

we are nearly as bad as spurs now with our cuda been us team....Vidic,Ronaldo,Alves,Villa...would have been some team:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's not as if Liverpool signed nobody at the time though.

Maybe he wasn't that far up Rafa's list, maybe the other players were more of a priority, the ones he actually signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    How?

in 2005 we were in for him, they wanted 12m if i remember correctly we could only pay 9-ish. deal fell through despite player wanting move and rafa wanting him.

ah well. annoying little head on him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's not as if Liverpool signed nobody at the time though.

Maybe he wasn't that far up Rafa's list, maybe the other players were more of a priority, the ones he actually signed.

It's more like the opposite. We had to settle for the likes of Josemi, Crouch, Pennant etc. because he wasn't given the cash to get his first choices.

rosboy wrote: »

Haha.

Rafa made a ridiculous bid, it was turned down. If it was 7m he actually bid he would have got his man.

Has Rafa not been backed firmly financially since he came?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »

Shocking journalism.

You really have to question what kind of journalists they have working for them.

Boggles its quite obvious wat path your bringing this down, if thats the conversation you fancy i reckon you should just go looking for it one of the thousand times its been discussed before.

How?

Well according to reports at the time apparently alves was trying to get a move to liverpool orchestrated.
    But liverpool didn't have the 12-15 million required.
    I think i read in the times that alves was texting rafa up until the transfer deadline-i dont believe that but it gives a sense of the rumours that were milling around.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Boggles its quite obvious wat path your bringing this down, if thats the conversation you fancy i reckon you should just go looking for it one of the thousand times its been discussed before.

Quite persumptious this morning Master Alan. Paranoia doesn't suit you, chillax.

The point was made that Rafa has not been backed financially. IMO he has been. He has been good in recouping money in his sales, but you can't say the board have not trusted him with money.

So saying if he had got this guy or that guy etc, we would have a brilliant team is rubbish.

Any team could do the same and say we could have got Ronaldo, etc years ago for 12 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Haha.

Rafa made a ridiculous bid, it was turned down. If it was 7m he actually bid he would have got his man.

Has Rafa not been backed firmly financially since he came?

Don't make me!!!:p

troll_spray.jpg

Don't make me!!!:p

Grow Up.

Quite persumptious this morning Master Alan. Paranoia doesn't suit you, chillax.

The point was made that Rafa has not been backed financially. IMO he has been. He has been good in recouping money in his sales, but you can't say the board have not trusted him with money.

So saying if he had got this guy or that guy etc, we would have a brilliant team is rubbish.

Rafa has only been backed properly last year when he could buy torres,babel and mash.
    He's had to buy these stop gap players (pennant et al) up until then.

how often do you reckon in the last 5 years, SAF has been told he cant have an extra 4 million to sign a player he desperately wanted?

Rafa has been given a lot of money, no doubting it, but he has been asked to turn Liverpool into a title winning team, this takes serious money. and the way to do that is not to limit your managers choices so that he rarely is able to afford his first choice players. SAF would struggle with that in this day and age and Jose left Chelsea partly because of that.

The simple fact is, a lot of players Rafa wants to bring in, who are available, we cannot afford.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement