Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dardoz wrote: »
    nicely done. read the post, and your own link, before trying to get smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

If Dave Maddock in the Mirror was talking sh!te yesterday then he's clearly still at it. Claims Hicks is now prepared to back Rafa financially this summer and just needs to persuade his good friend and enemy Gillet that it's the right thing to do. And from how Hicks in particular operates presumably not a penny of that money would come from their own pockets so shouldn't affect Gillet too much.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/25/liverpool-will-have-funds-to-bid-for-david-villa-and-david-silva-89520-20620153/

I know Maddock had connections with the club in the past but no idea about now. Suspect they're not very good though based on linking us with Alves yesterday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

gucci wrote: »
    In the two seasons previous to when Spurs signed him, as the website you brought up shows? Note: He said English strikers in the premiership.

Ah I missed the word English in there. That would have lead my in a totally different direction. WTF difference does it make what nationality he is in determining his quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

dardoz wrote: »
    Ah I missed the word English in there. That would have lead my in a totally different direction. WTF difference does it make what nationality he is in determining his quality?

The OP's statement didn't base anything on the nationality he is in determining his quality. It merely said that Bent was the top English goalscorer in the previous 2 seasons and pointed to the fee that Spurs paid for him as a result.

Stop clutching a straws :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm not judging him on last season.

He is a decent player, I like Crouch and I think he has alot to offer. I also think Rafa has treated him unfairly this season.

If you think he is excellent / just short of world class so be it. Your opinion. Entitled to.

Stop on.Just as if you think Rooney is excellent/just short of world class so be it.Your opinion.Entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

IrishMike wrote: »
    Decent strikers dont score 15 premiership goals a season.

Either has Crouch, has he? The most he got with Liverpool was 9 premier league goals.
    He is a lot better than decent, quality striker who is getting limited appearances due to Torres being amazing and the system we play.

As I stated previously I'm not forming my evaluation of him on solely last year or even his Liverpool career.
    Im sure Rafa would keep him in a heartbeat but cant guarantee him regular first team football.

Did he get even 6 prem starts last season? If he is as good as your harping on about, he could have easily been partnered with Torres more, he has experience with England playing with top strikers.

So unless you know something I don't and Rafa secretly loves him and wants him to stay, because all I see is him doing his best to get rid of, couple that with criminal under use of him last season, Torres or not. It suggests to me Rafa doesn't rate him that highly.

I disagree with Rafa mind, I think he is a decent player, but top quality just short of world class - farcical!

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Stop on.Just as if you think Rooney is excellent/just short of world class so be it.Your opinion.Entitled to.

What are you talking about Rooney for or anyone else?, we are debating Crouch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You stay classy, Boggles :pac:

zAbbo wrote: »
    You stay classy, Boggles :pac:

Always! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Did he get even 6 prem starts last season? If he is as good as your harping on about, he could have easily been partnered with Torres more, he has experience with England playing with top strikers.

How do you partner a striker in a 4-5-1... ????

spockety wrote: »
    How do you partner a striker in a 4-5-1... ????

Change the system, you can't play the same system against every team and expect to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

boggles you talk some serious crap; its a pity I still have to read your tripe when people I haven't ignored quote you.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    boggles you talk some serious crap; its a pity I still have to read your tripe when people I haven't ignored quote you.

Yeah just keep ignoring people that disagree with you, you'll get there in the end. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles.
    You do reaslise that either last season or the season before (too lazy to look it up!:D), Crouch had the highest goals to minutes ratio in the premiership.

He didn't get played, so didn't score, but every time he was played.
    He scored!

Boggles.
    He didn't get played, so didn't score, but every time he was played.
    He scored!

Yeah, I don't need to look that up. I'm take your word for it. :D

You swear I came out and said Crouch was rubbish, I have repeated that he is a decent striker, and I think he can do a good job for Liverpool, but for whatever reason he is not getting the opportunity and looks to be on his bike. Rafa needs to come down off the clouds thou and stop slapping ridiculous transfer fees on the lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tell that to Rafa then, no need regurgitate the same story over and over again like a bad Sunday Mirror exclusive.

A player is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, just like Bent not being worth 17/18m and Shevchenko at 29m.

It looks like Pompey are the only team in for him, unless a deal can be done with Villa, I'd imagine Crouch would prefer Pompey though.

In reality if he goes for more than 12m, it's a bonus.

JUVENTUS officials were meeting in Turin today to discuss an increased offer for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso.

The Italians and Liverpool have been at stalemate over a proposed deal, with Juve’s initial offers well short of Liverpool’s asking price of £16m.

But after today’s meeting of the Serie A side’s top brass, Claudio Ranieri hopes to be given the green light to meet the Reds’ demands.

With a European Championship semi-final looming tomorrow night, Alonso is sitting tight.

But he hinted that a move to the Bianconeri appealed to him.

“I have little to say about Juve because at the moment I am very focused on Euro 2008 and on Spain.

“I spent four fantastic years at Liverpool, but I have to admit that I have always been fascinated by Italian football.

“However, it’s too soon to talk about the future. Juve are one of the biggest teams in Europe, perhaps the biggest in Italy. They have very many fans not only in Italy but all over the world.

“In short: a great club.”

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp, meanwhile, insists he will not increase his £9m offer for Peter Crouch, a bid turned down by Liverpool on Monday night.

Portsmouth's deal included an initial fee of £7 million for the striker, with an added £2 million depending on appearances.

“I’d love to bring Crouchie back here. We are trying to do deals to bring in players and (chief executive) Peter Storrie is working on trying to get things done,” said the Pompey boss.

“But the fee seems a bit too high, and at the end of the day it comes down to the price.

“It seems like things are getting a bit too expensive.

“Crouchie is a player who is on our list, but if nothing can be done then we will just move on to the next player.”

Crouch joined Liverpool from Southampton in 2005, having previously played for Pompey under Redknapp from 2001-02.

Any deal to take him back to Fratton Park is likely to break the record of £7.5million the south coast club paid for Jermain Defoe.

Meanwhile, Roma are poised to sign Harry Kewell, released by the Reds at the end of his contract last season.

Prentice again in the Echo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

7m + 2m in after x appearances....see there is Rafas sticking point.

well in Rafa, 9-10m straight up and he will be theirs.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    7m + 2m in after x appearances....see there is Rafas sticking point.

well in Rafa, 9-10m straight up and he will be theirs.

Exactly.

That's just a pathetic offer.
    It's less up front than we paid for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Carson is a quality keeper, maybe we should play both him and Reina in goals ;)
    Thats pretty much as valid as your argument boggles

• Advertisement

Carson is a quality keeper, maybe we should play both him and Reina in goals ;)
    Thats pretty much as valid as your argument boggles

Well done, yet again you proved me wrong. :rolleyes:

Well done, yet again you proved me wrong. :rolleyes:

The teams best formation is 4-5-1 with Torres up front and Gerrard in the hole.
    Your genius idea is to totally disrupt how the team are set up just to keep
    one player happy, it doesnt work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

(who does Boggles support?)

Mike.

The teams best formation is 4-5-1 with Torres up front and Gerrard in the hole.
    Your genius idea is to totally disrupt how the team are set up just to keep
    one player happy, it doesnt work that way.

No Genius that whole system is already there to keep one player happy - Torres, if he doesn't have a good day or is absent, ye need a plan B.

Most top teams switch systems.

3 off the top of my head, United, Arsenal, Chelsea.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

My Wife and Kids. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No, our best formation is 4-2-3-1. Rafa knows that and has bought players to make the best of that formation. Even when Torres was out he still kept the formation with Crouch up top on his own.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

That "other" Red team!:p

No Genius that whole system is already there to keep one player happy - Torres, if he doesn't have a good day or is absent, ye need a plan B.

So, please tell me, how often did SAF disrupt his "Holy Trinity" in the final part of the season?!
    Never.

Because it worked.

Just like our 4-2-2-1-1 (or whatever!:p).

Also, Rafa constantly gets complained about by non Pool fans for "rotating"!
    Are you now saying that he should?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hello Genius. Id just like to add something. We only started playing 4-2-3-1 at for the last 1/3 of the season and we had a tremendous record with it. We won most games and barely lost. It was the bad patch in the middle (when we were playing 4-4-2) that cost us points.

The system is not just there to keep Torres happy. Its there because we have too many good central midfielders. Alonso, Mascherano & Gerrard need to start. Gerrard isnt as effective on the wing so playing the three of them in the center is crucial. Hence the 4-2-3-1.

Lastly, we dont have traditional wingers who will cross the ball into the box. Our wingers will cut inside most often. This does not suit a 4-4-2 but it does suit a 4-2-3-1 as they can cut in to support Torres.

In regards to Torres having an off day, dont forget Gerrard scored over 20 goals last season, Benayoun scored 10, Babel scored 10 & Kuyt scored about 10.

So, please tell me, how often did SAF disrupt his "Holy Trinity" in the final part of the season?!
    Never.

What the hell are you talking about? Ferguson constantly changed his formation / System / Personal throughout the whole season, including the "end".

Just like our 4-2-2-1-1 (or whatever!:p).

You can be over reliant on a system. Especially away from home. If you don't change it good managers can figure it out and it's much easier to defend against. This can be clearly seen with Liverpool this year in getting 13 draws.

Also, Rafa constantly gets complained about by non Pool fans for "rotating"!
    Are you now saying that he should?!!!

????

• Advertisement

You can be over reliant on a system. Especially away from home. If you don't change it good managers can figure it out and it's much easier to defend against. This can be clearly seen with Liverpool this year in getting 13 draws

Your point would be a lot more relevant if the majority of those draws werent picked up before we switched to the 4-2-3-1.

dont let that bother you though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rafa was slated for adapting his system to suit the opposition week-in, week-out, and now he is also slated for sticking to his own system and opposing his game on the opposition.

Ho hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Voronin seems likely to stay
    VORONIN: I OWE THE FANS

Andriy Voronin is relishing the prospect of his second season with Liverpool and has promised supporters that his best is still to come.
    The Ukraine international admits that he did not feature as much as he would have liked during his debut campaign with the Reds, but insists that he is now happy with life in England and determined to show the Anfield faithful just what he can do.

"When I first arrived here I didn't find it easy because I'd lived in Germany for 12 years," he told LFC magazine.

"I didn't know the language but I'm gradually getting there. My wife had a a baby here and, thank god, everything was okay. So I am getting more and more used to life here everyday.

"We are feeling much better than six or seven months ago. when we have time we go into town. We like it here and don't have any problems with life in England or the town- except for the weather!"

Voronin feels he made an impressive start to his Liverpool career, netting a goal of the season contender in a Champions League qualifier away to Toulouse and playing a starring role in the 8-0 win over Besiktas.

However, injury and a difficulty with the language saw him struggle to make an impact as the campaign wore on and he admits he hopes to do better in 2008-09.

"I think I started not bad," he said.

"I played a lot at the beginning and scored a few goals.

"Obviously the injury was a setback. There are a lot fo good players here. It's competitive, so it's difficult to get straight back into the team after an injury.

"I'll do my best next season and hopefully I can help the team. I think I still have a lot to show the fans."

From here:http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160318080625-0917.htm

What the hell are you talking about? Ferguson constantly changed his formation / System / Personal throughout the whole season, including the "end".

No he didn't.
    In the run up he had Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez all playing an interchanging formation up front.

Hence the media dubbing it the "Holy Trinity" formation.

Boggles wrote:
    You can be over reliant on a system. Especially away from home. If you don't change it good managers can figure it out and it's much easier to defend against. This can be clearly seen with Liverpool this year in getting 13 draws.

As was pointed out to you, those draws weer befre the formation was implimented.
    The current formation was brought in for a bit more than the last third of the season. During which period, the only really bad result we got, was being trounced by ye.

Boggles wrote:
    ????

If Rafa did change a formation that is obviously working, like our current one, every hack, and ABL with a mouth would be screaming "ROTATION ROTATION ROTAION" like a bad Alan Shearer rip off!!!

as 3rd/4th choice he is grand tbh. he did ok this year considering he broke his leg, he scored regularly.

i just ****ing hate his hair.

--anyone else notice "our year" has been added to the tags below :rolleyes:

Your point would be a lot more relevant if the majority of those draws werent picked up before we switched to the 4-2-3-1.

dont let that bother you though :rolleyes:

Whatever about the maths of his formation, he likes one up front, Torres.

Bottom line, Liverpool drew 13 games and Torres scored 2 league goals away from home.

Something went wrong somewhere.

as 3rd/4th choice he is grand tbh. he did ok this year considering he broke his leg, he scored regularly.

i just ****ing hate his hair.

--anyone else notice "our year" has been added to the tags below :rolleyes:

My problem with Voronin is that he was used too often. He is fine as 4th choice but he often was played in front of Crouch & Babel during the season. He should only be used if other players badly need a rest or if we have injuries. He was used far too often last season before the injury in my opinion.

No genius the system is there because it suits the majority of our first choice players like Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso.
    It also suits our wingers.
    But dont let the fact that your argument is baseless stop you from sticking to it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Good news -

I'd be well impressed with Niemi as number two - miles above Itandje as a number two.

Also for £350k would be a well cheap bit of business.

We'd also have Carson and Itandje to flog for more transfer funds then :D

As an aside I love the way that everyone that Liverpool are linked to is great mates with whoever shares the same nationality at the club e.g. Villa -Torres, Pepe, Alonso ; Barry - Gerrard ; Arshavin - Skrtel ; Niemi - Hyppia.
    Liverpool to make move for Fulham keeper Antti Niemi

By James Nursey 25/06/2008

Liverpool want Fulham's veteran keeper Antti Niemi.

Anfield boss Rafa Benitez is after an experienced stopper to provide back-up to No.1 Pepe Reina.

And Finnish ace Niemi, 36, is keen as he is surplus to requirements at Craven Cottage and is big mates with compatriot Sami Hyypia.

Birmingham's Maik Taylor,36, was Benitez's original target but he is due to pen a new two-year deal at St Andrews today (WED).

And Niemi, who can leave Fulham for around £350,000, is set for talks with Liverpool next week when he returns from holiday but West Ham are also interested.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/06/25/liverpool-to-make-move-for-fulham-keeper-antti-niemi-89520-20620430/

• Advertisement

Bottom line, Liverpool drew 13 games and Torres scored 2 league goals away from home.

are you not even reading what we are saying ? The VAST majority of those bad results came while we were playing 2 up front....which we did...for most of the season. Your argument is completely without merit.

Yes the formation was wrong when we played 4-4-2.
    It changed to 4-5-1 and we played a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not playing a 4-2-3-1 system means not playing Babel, Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso in their best position. it is our perfect formation if you ask me, 4-5-1 in defence and 4-2-4 in attack....

Babel is not ready to play up front yet, he was a winger/wing forward at Ajax, despite what people like to say, and in the one game he played up front this season, he was ****e.

Babel is not ready to play up front yet, he was a winger/wing forward at Ajax, despite what people like to say, and in the one game he played up front this season, he was ****e.

So after one chance up front you think hes not ready ? The one thing Babel has been consistent at is his shooting. He always gets off powerful, accurate shots. Its when hes out on the wing that he makes most of his mistakes.

Although he does some great stuff on the wing, he often looks uncomfortable.

He came on up front as a sub against Besiktas and scored twice and hit the post!
    He came on up front against Marsailles and scored!
    He came on up front against Arsenal and won us a penalty and scored!
    He came on up front against Chelsea, and scored!

He was most effective when coming on up front against tired defenders!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Swansea City look to have succeeded in their bid to re-sign Liverpool teenager Paul Anderson.

Anderson spent last season on loan at the Liberty Stadium, making 22 League One starts as The Swans gained promotion to the Championship.

Manager Roberto Martinez has previously expressed his interest in bringing Anderson back to the club, but Nottingham Forest are also reportedly keen on securing his services.

However, Martinez has revealed that the winger has indicated his desire to return to Swansea.

Second stint

Martinez told the South Wales Evening Post: "I met with Paul and we agreed that as far as football reasons go it's clear, he wants to play for Swansea.

"We are delighted about that, but there are three parties here, ourselves, Liverpool and the player, and we must all come together now on an agreement.

"We all know how excited Paul is about playing Championship football and we're delighted that he wants to do it with us.

"Paul has told me he wants to come back here and that he is happy to carry on his development with Swansea, but now we need to finalise things."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3730908,00.html

rosboy wrote: »

The lack of change should help.
    Same team mates, same coaches, just better opposition.

All in all, would be good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

The lack of change should help.
    Same team mates, same coaches, just better opposition.

All in all, would be good for him.

I've never seen him play, but some people here talk very highly of him. He's almost 20 (in August), so its positive that a Championship side want him, and will give him a lot of playing time. An extra year maturing, devoloping and playing first team competitive football and he could be ready for the step up to Liverpool first team.

rosboy wrote: »
    An extra year maturing, devoloping and playing first team competitive football and he could be ready for the step up to Liverpool first team.

Seriously doubt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I expect Anderson to sign full time if he stays another season to be honest.

Miek.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement