Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    would definately take Milner over Pennant, better attitude, can beat a man, wicked shot on him, younger.

I think Pennants attitude has been great since he moved to Liverpool. He always works hard and never complains about not being in the team.

Theres too much chopping and changing every year. Would Milner be an upgrade on Pennant ? Maybe*. Is it worth disrupting the team by making extra changes over ? no.

* Not in my opinion.
    I'm gonna start saving these quotes people.
    I've got a good feeling that Andriy "The Game" Voronin is going to be pedegreeing your collective faces into them next season.

I still remember exactly how vehement some of the sentiment towards Dirk was at the halfway ppoint last year, and how quickly that changed.

My opinion of Dirk hasnt changed. He was terrible for 2/3 of the season and very good for 1/3. We should improve upon him and he should be a squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Tusky wrote: »
    Theres too much chopping and changing every year. Would Milner be an upgrade on Pennant ? Maybe*. Is it worth disrupting the team by making extra changes over ? no.

* Not in my opinion.

+1

I really dont want Milner. There is no point in changing a squad player for a squad player who will cost more than we get for Pennant and who at best could be described as as good as Pennant. Just seems like change for the sake of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Pennants attitude has been great since he moved to Liverpool. He always works hard and never complains about not being in the team.

* Not in my opinion.

My opinion of Dirk hasnt changed. He was terrible for 2/3 of the season and very good for 1/3. We should improve upon him and he should be a squad player.

Absolutely, and he'll be a fantastic backup for 2 or 3 attacking positions.
    Watching him for Holland against Romania, he looked great when he came on. I missed the other games. He never gave the ball away and beat his man on numerous occassions. Hopefully he brings that kind of form into next season.
    Kuyt was very strange last season, so often lethargic and one-paced. But i remember his first few months at Liverpool he seemed more dynamic and quick-minded. Perhaps it's just a confidence thing. If so, lets hope he gets it back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm gonna start saving these quotes people.
    I've got a good feeling that Andriy "The Game" Voronin is going to be pedegreeing your collective faces into them next season.
    We all want the Voronator to do well (I hope).

It would be interesting to go back to last season's thread and dig out the posts that were no doubt singing his praises after his showing in pre-season and after scoring that cracker against Toulouse.

yom 1 wrote: »
    +1

I really dont want Milner. There is no point in changing a squad player for a squad player who will cost more than we get for Pennant and who at best could be described as as good as Pennant. Just seems like change for the sake of change.

the only reason i can think of is that Milner is comfortable on both wings and cuts inside and shoots more. Pennant looks lost anytime he's not hugging the right touchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

malice_ wrote: »
    It would be interesting to go back to last season's thread and dig out the posts that were no doubt singing his praises after his showing in pre-season and after scoring that cracker against Toulouse.

i seem to remember Mike65 declaring that he would score more than Torres ;)

the only reason i can think of is that Milner is comfortable on both wings and cuts inside and shoots more. Pennant looks lost anytime he's not hugging the right touchline.

Maybe but we have that in Yossi imo

We want a winger who will do exactly what Pennant does just better. And to me thats being able to beat a man and more importantly hug the touchline and get crosses in. You cant fault him for it. The likes of Mascherano, Gerrard or whoever is bringing the ball out knows without even looking up that thats where he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

i seem to remember Mike65 declaring that he would score more than Torres ;)

He was talking about women :eek:

Maybe but we have that in Yossi imo

We want a winger who will do exactly what Pennant does just better. And to me thats being able to beat a man and more importantly hug the touchline and get crosses in. You cant fault him for it. The likes of Mascherano, Gerrard or whoever is bringing the ball out knows without even looking up that thats where he is.

I think Rafa wants the full backs to do a lot of the wing work, overlapping on the outside whilst Babel and Silva (please, please, please) cut inside to support Gerrard and Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

* Not in my opinion.

agree 100%

• Advertisement

I think Rafa wants the full backs to do a lot of the wing work, overlapping on the outside whilst Babel and Silva (please, please, please) cut inside to support Gerrard and Torres.

Well if his signings so far are anything to go by its looking that way. And that means that Milner would be nothing more than a squad player used only in case of Plan B. And if so why bother selling Pennant to accomadate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

malice_ wrote: »
    We all want the Voronator to do well (I hope).

I just think that he'll do well now that he's settled.

He did break a leg, and have his first kid last year.
    Add to that the move from Germany, where he's lived for the last 12 years, and the fact that he was usually played as a right or left winger, while before coming here he only ever played up front or in the hole.

He works hard, never shy's away from possesion, and when he plays, is inevitably involved in most of the goals.

Now if only he can learn how to shoot!!!:p

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/26/Prem-

Rafa swoops to sign Saric
    by Adam Marshall, 26 June 2008

Liverpool have agreed a deal with Herfolge to sign Nikola Saric on a three-year contract despite reported rival interest from Tottenham and Barcelona.

The 17-year-old starlet is heading to Anfield after Rafa Benitez tied up the deal personally, which surprised the Danish club.

All that remains is for Saric to put pen-to-paper on his contract at Anfield but he has already expressed his delight at clinching the move.

"'This is Rafa' he said," recalled sports director Per Rud to the club's official website when asked about how the transfer came about. "I almost thought it was a lie!

"We are pleased and proud that Nikola has gone to one of the world's best football clubs. We would have liked to have earned more money from Nikola but his injury and the fact that his contract expired in the New Year made it difficult.

"Liverpool acted extremely well in all cases and knew all the details. They have been fair in the process and could've waited until the New Year but they will have him over now."

Saric is enthusiastic about linking up with the superstars of the first team on Merseyside.

"It is a unique opportunity for me," the Denmark Under-18 international informed Dagbladet Koge.

"I will train with the big names over there and there is time for me to develop at reserve level.

"I am very pleased with the development as it has been a very tough season for me."

Herfolge claimed on their official website that Spurs, Barca and Charlton wanted the talented striker, who is reckoned to be one of their best-ever players, after offering him trials.
    when he plays, is inevitably involved in most of the goals.

Hes still living off that Besiktas game I see ? Lets not exaggerate..!

[Herfolge claimed on their official website that Spurs, Barca and Charlton wanted the talented striker

you wat?!?!?!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Untid might lose Ronaldo but it means they would have up to £80m to spend.

Dont think so.People seem to be underestimating just what a terrible financial situation Manchester Utd are in.Think if ferguson see's even 30 million of the 60 million or so Ronaldo will go for he will be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I just think that he'll do well now that he's settled.

He did break a leg, and have his first kid last year.
    Add to that the move from Germany, where he's lived for the last 12 years, and the fact that he was usually played as a right or left winger, while before coming here he only ever played up front or in the hole.

He works hard, never shy's away from possesion, and when he plays, is inevitably involved in most of the goals.

Now if only he can learn how to shoot!!!:p

He was free for a reason he is fúckíng Brutal, he is just about to turn 29 so I'm sure he has peaked already. 99.999% of Liverpool supporters would be delighted to see him saunter on.

Got to love the optimism thou. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Boggles wrote: »
    He was free for a reason he is fúckíng Brutal, he is just about to turn 29 so I'm sure he has peaked already. 99.999% of Liverpool supporters would be delighted to see him saunter on.

Got to love the optimism thou. :D

Agreed.Bottom line is the guy is sh/te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

era he's not ****e, he's just not liverpool standard. And he is last choice. Id have him over Dong like.
    ..On the kid, is he the one we trialed a short while back with the ridiculous scoring record?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Id have him over Dong like.

What has Dong got to with him?

Well if his signings so far are anything to go by its looking that way. And that means that Milner would be nothing more than a squad player used only in case of Plan B. And if so why bother selling Pennant to accomadate him?

Pennant has to go if we are to persist with our current system. He doesn't cut inside, support the strikers or offer any goal threat. Milner would be better backup in this instance. I just think he'll be hugely overpriced for a squad player, when you consider others we could/could have potentially signed for that role. I wish we'd taken a punt on Dos Santos. Never mind his form for Barcelona last year, he has huge potential and at 4 million was very low risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Hes still living off that Besiktas game I see ? Lets not exaggerate..!

25 appearances.
    6 goals
    7 assists.

That's not a terrible return for a first season where you missed half of it with a broken leg!

And that's only assists, doesn't count the build up play.

Lets compare it to the much lauded David Bentley

46 appearances
    8 Goals
    13 Assists

In a full season, with a club he's been with for 3 years, in the country he was born in!

I watched Rafa's review of the season last night. It did bring back memories of how good (and i'm one of his harshest critics) Voronin was in a couple of matches, particularly Fulham at home. He ran the show. Hopefully he has more ability than he has shown so far and can be very decent backup to Torres.

25 appearances.
    6 goals
    7 assists.

That's not a terrible return for a first season where you missed half of it with a broken leg!

46 appearances
    8 Goals
    13 Assists

In a full season, with a club he's been with for 3 years, in the country he was born in!

Why compare him to Bentley an out an out winger.????

There is a perfect Comparison with more or less the same background, Santa Cruz.

Crunch the numbers there.

What has Dong got to with him?
    Dong being manu's fourth choice striker...its not a massively important role, being the teams last choice..i think he's grand for it really, happy to sit on the bench

Why compare him to Bentley an out an out winger.????

There is a perfect Comparison with more or less the same background, Santa Cruz.

Crunch the numbers there.

Pizzaro would be the best comparison i would have thought.

Dong being manu's fourth choice striker...its not a massively important role, being the teams last choice..i think he's grand for it really, happy to sit on the bench

We were talking about Voronin, he a Liverpool player. Dong is Man United, you would be much better discussing him over on the United Thread.

For what it's worth, I think there was a mistake with Dong and he actually a table tennis player signed in error, at least United will get a few Jersey sales out of him thou. :D

25 appearances.
    6 goals
    7 assists.

46 appearances
    8 Goals
    13 Assists

errr Voronin is a striker and Bentley is a winger. Voronin is practically useless against decent opposition. Ive no problem with him, hes fine for 4th choice as Ive said. My problem is that he is played far too often.
    Pennant has to go if we are to persist with our current system. He doesn't cut inside, support the strikers or offer any goal threat. Milner would be better backup in this instance. I just think he'll be hugely overpriced for a squad player, when you consider others we could/could have potentially signed for that role. I wish we'd taken a punt on Dos Santos. Never mind his form for Barcelona last year, he has huge potential and at 4 million was very low risk.

Thats the thing though. Will we play 4-2-3-1 until the end of time ? Of course not. We will have to play 4-4-2 on occasion. If Torres gets injured, any other striker will struggle in that position. We need to be flexible. Thats why I like the fact that we have one traditional winger in Pennant.

Pizzaro would be the best comparison i would have thought.

Excellent, that's 3 comparisons. No need to match him up against English wingers then.

• Advertisement

and how does he compare with Pizzaro?

Voronin isnt ****e. But unless he pulls up his socks big time, i would hope he will feature very little next year.

We were talking about Voronin, he a Liverpool player. Dong is Man United, you would be much better discussing him over on the United Thread.
    Dude thats a ridiculous thing to say! Its a comparison. Both are 4th choice for their teams, its a very valid point that its not something for pool to be worrying about. Christ you yourself suggest rsc as a comparison. Did you put it im the blackburn thread? No, cause that would be stupid as its relevant here. Just cause its a united player i compare to voro there's no need to get pissy. They're in the same role therefore its relevant.

Pizzaro - 28 games, 2 goals
    Voronin - 25 games, 6 goals, 7 assists

can't find assist stat for Pizzaro, but i doubt it's that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Schweinstiger would be great for liverpool - get rid of that donkey pennant.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160322080626-1526.htm

Liverpool to complete Dossena signing next week. Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

and how does he compare with Pizzaro?

Voronin isnt ****e. But unless he pulls up his socks big time, i would hope he will feature very little next year.

Are you on drugs? Voronin is absolutely brutal. We may as well have kept Titi Camara!

• Advertisement

Are you on drugs? Voronin is absolutely brutal. We may as well have kept Titi Camara!

But he's fourth choice, like Pizzaro, and it doesn't look like we can afford to spend money on fourth choice strikers. Hopefully Nemeth will also limit his opportunities further next year.

Dude thats a ridiculous thing to say! Its a comparison. Both are 4th choice for their teams, its a very valid point that its not something for pool to be worrying about. Christ you yourself suggest rsc as a comparison. Did you put it im the blackburn thread? No, cause that would be stupid as its relevant here. Just cause its a united player i compare to voro there's no need to get pissy. They're in the same role therefore its relevant.

There is no one getting pissy, you brought up Dong because he is a Man United player, how can he be considered a comparsion to anyone when he has played only a couple hundred minutes of football. :rolleyes:

Nemeth is probably going on loan to Leeds.

Hate to break the news to you.

But he's fourth choice, like Pizzaro, and it doesn't look like we can afford to spend money on fourth choice strikers. Hopefully Nemeth will also limit his opportunities further next year.

If Liverpool don't replace Crouch and something happens Torres, he could be first choice striker. :eek:

emmmmm Dirk Kuyt?

• Advertisement

emmmmm Dirk Kuyt?

Can he lead the line? If something happens Torres it's 2 striker time.

Nemeth is probably going on loan to Leeds.

Hate to break the news to you.

I won't believe it till i see it. And then i will cry. A Championship loan would be ok i suppose, i even think he's good enough for the likes of Hull, Stoke and Aston Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes he can

emmmmm Dirk Kuyt?

If something happens to Torres we'll have our new striker, Babel, Kuyt, Voronin, maybe Nemeth. I think we'll be ok. Especially if that new striker is David Villa.

If Liverpool don't replace Crouch and something happens Torres, he could be first choice striker. :eek:

First of all, there is no way Rafa will sell Crouch and not replace him.

Secondly, Babel can play up front.

its more about him playing more regularly i think.

The reserves dont play enough, and he wouldnt play enough with the first team to ready continue his development.

in order to him to develop the way we want him to, he needs to play week in week out (pretty much) for some time, and league 1 might add a little more physicality to his game also.

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes he can

Examples???

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes he can

No he can't. He doesn't have enough pace like Torres, nor can he hold up the ball as well as Crouch.

There is no one getting pissy, you brought up Dong because he is a Man United player, how can he be considered a comparsion to anyone when he has played only a couple hundred minutes of football. :rolleyes:
    Not only is he a comparison but dong shows that role isn't an important one. United won the league with him as 4th choice striker. Therefore its very valid to my argument that voro is a grand 4th choice and its replacing crouch and getting decent a wide player which are much more important. Telling me to go posting in the united thread is just silly. Sillyness i tell you!

Secondly, Babel can play up front.

I'm sure Reina can play up front. That doesn't mean he would be any good, Babel is a winger, just because he has played in a different position doesn't mean he is good in that position.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement