Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Mr Alan wrote: »
    would you pull someone you dont know up on their bad manners in real life?

yes if they publicly did a much worse act of dismissing someone I would be glad to pick it up with them in front of that person.

Ekels glad to see a new person posting here, try not to be disheartened by the opinions of a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

just click ignore tusky no need to comment, plus its quiet rude to tell someone you are ignoring them, would you do it in real life?

The guy is obviously a troll. Manors do not apply when speaking to trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

So Steven Gerrard has only ever played well in 1 game?

He goes missing in the big games. :)

zAbbo wrote: »
    He goes missing in the big games. :)

Yeah...like the Champions League final & the FA Cup final.

NOT THIS DEBATE AGAIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This thread only has a retention of about 7 days anyway, after that the same stuff gets re-posted.

Some opposing fans must see us as a serious threat to constantly post in here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ekels wrote: »
    Stewart Downing is hardly a world-class winger. He looks quite good with a second-rate premiership side, but I don't think he would be quite as good with a top 4 (probably top 6 for the Pool this season though), a la Damien Duff.

And what's the story with the 2 full backs? Hardly top of the range, are they? Dossena is a lucky guy to have such an eagle-eye view for the Italian matches from his perch on the bench. Degen? Pfft. It's all a bit worrying really. Poor Benitez seems obsessed with mediocrity and I think ye'll have another pair of Kronkamp's and that Spanish full-back who was one of Rafa's first signings.

If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be worried. Why spend over 10million each on two out and out strikers like Kuyt and Babel to make average wingers out of them? Now, he's looking to replace his make-shift wingers with even more decent, yet not champions league standard, signings.

I can't see Liverpool competing with the top four at all. Only one player from their side would get on to United's, Chelsea's or Arsenal's first eleven- Fernando Torres. And the poster who tells me that Steven Gerrard would is blinded totally by his contribution in Istanbul that night.

Owww!!!!

Just...........owwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Stewart Downing is hardly a world-class winger. He looks quite good with a second-rate premiership side, but I don't think he would be quite as good with a top 4 (probably top 6 for the Pool this season though), a la Damien Duff.

If Downing turns out to be as good as Duffer in his prime I'll be happy.
    And what's the story with the 2 full backs? Hardly top of the range, are they? Dossena is a lucky guy to have such an eagle-eye view for the Italian matches from his perch on the bench. Degen? Pfft. It's all a bit worrying really. Poor Benitez seems obsessed with mediocrity and I think ye'll have another pair of Kronkamp's and that Spanish full-back who was one of Rafa's first signings.

We needed full-backs. Riise has gone, Aurelio is good but a bit injury-prone, Finnan is getting on.
    If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be worried.

If you were a Liverpool fan, I think we'd all be worried.
    Why spend over 10million each on two out and out strikers like Kuyt and Babel to make average wingers out of them?

Babel and Kuyt are both excellent players, and although not wingers they are well suited to playing wide in a 4-3-3 formation (or 4-2-3-1). Rafa hasn't bought any wingers yet, it's just tabloid speculation until he does.
    I can't see Liverpool competing with the top four at all. Only one player from their side would get on to United's, Chelsea's or Arsenal's first eleven- Fernando Torres. And the poster who tells me that Steven Gerrard would is blinded totally by his contribution in Istanbul that night.

Last I checked, Liverpool were in the top four? Why would they be competing with themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doesn't take much so ill hop on this one.
    Started well, then turned into a child with the top 6 comment.

And what's the story with the 2 full backs? Hardly top of the range, are they? Dossena is a lucky guy to have such an eagle-eye view for the Italian matches from his perch on the bench. Degen?
    Dossena started 35 league matches last season. C. Ronaldo started 31. Degen was free and is 3rd choice RB.
    If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be worried. Why spend over 10million each on two out and out strikers like Kuyt and Babel to make average wingers out of them? Now, he's looking to replace his make-shift wingers with even more decent, yet not champions league standard, signings.
    Babel is playing in the same position he played in at Ajax. Coincidentally also the same position he played in for teh Dutch U-21 winning team and the senior team. Kuyt did so well after Rafa shifted his position that he forced his way back into the national team and was excellent this tournement.
    Lawl.

P.s also like how Boggles thanked that rubbish, wasn't sure about him at first, thought he might have been a bit misunderstood or something, but that, coupled with yesterday have summed him up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have never read such shíté in all my life!!!

Torres would not get in the United team!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tat was actually funny Boggles, well done, your getting better! ;)

Also, Dossena was the LB of the year in Italy if i'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

City are close to completing the signing of CSKA Moscow's Brazilian striker Jo for £17m and have made an £8m bid for Real Zaragoza's Argentina forward Diego Milito, 29.

But Hughes is finding it hard to get rid of Rolando Bianchi and Georgios Samaras, who cost nearly £15m.

Come on!
    Milto for only £8 million!!!

Jump on that!!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Tat was actually funny Boggles, well done, your getting better! ;)

Also, Dossena was the LB of the year in Italy if i'm not mistaken.

I was the LB of the year in Italy.

Tusky wrote: »
    I was the LB of the year in Italy.

lazy bastard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You know, out of curiosity I held my nose and had a look through the Man U thread. Mr Alan is in there but seems remarkably restrained. Apart from that it's just Utd fans talking about Utd stuff.

This thread on the other hand we have Utd apologists on every single page spouting controversial nonsense.

The only explanation I can think of is an inferiority complex. If they really saw us as they claim to (a limited but lucky team with one or two decent players) then they wouldn't feel the need to come in here any more than they would in the Villa thread (for example).

So what could it be that gives them such a feeling of inferiority? Is it our sustained history of success that has left us with more trophies than any other club? Maybe it's the legend that is the Kop and teh esteem that the club and it's fan are held in around the world? Perhaps the dignity of our players - the articulate Caragher versus the objectionable Neville; the humble Torres rather than the preening Ronaldo. Maybe the humour and dignity of our manager when contrasted with one who refuses to speak to the main brodcaster of the country he works in.

Probably a combination of all those things but I'm sure that they'll come to terms with thier feelings eventually. A bit like the man who learns to love hs ugly wife rather than her beautiful sister...

LOL wat a post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

LIVERPOOL are set to complete two transfer deals – after beating a host of top clubs to one of Europe’s most promising young strikers.
    Italian left-back Andrea Dossena agreed terms to complete his move from Udinese for a fee in the region of £6million earlier this month before going on his honeymoon.
    He is now set to put pen to paper when the transfer window officially opens on Tuesday, and Anfield chief executive Rick Parry said: “We are now ready to confirm the signing of Dossena. The deal should go through next week after finalising the paperwork.”
    But the signing of Danish youngster Nikola Saric (pictured) is a longer-term investment, the 17-year-old joining on a three-year deal from Herfolge for an undisclosed fee.
    [/LEFT]
    Barcelona were just one of a clutch of clubs keen to seal the signature of the striker, who can also play wide on the left, but after Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez contacted the player personally he dropped out of his club’s training camp in Greece to fly in to Merseyside yesterday.
    “All the top clubs in Europe have been involved with this player,” Herfolge’s sporting director Per Rud told the Daily Post.
    “So it says something about the club that he is turning up at Liverpool.
    “We are very proud to sell him to one of the biggest clubs in the world and glad that they came up with the best package for him.”
    [/quote]

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=liverpool-look-to-sign-nikola-saric-and-andrea-dossena%26method=full%26objectid=21160941%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The guy is obviously a troll. Manors do not apply when speaking to trolls.
    Villas maybe if not manors?

Actually cross out most of my last post - they're talking about LFC in thier own thread now :confused:

its wat they do :)

Heh, so much for his desire to stay at Cardiff!
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=paul-anderson-joins-nottingham-forest-on-loan%26method=full%26objectid=21161179%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    PAUL ANDERSON has joined Nottingham Forest on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

The forward helped Swansea to the League One title last season but Forest, who were the team promoted in the place below, have secured the services of the 19-year-old.

Leicester-born Anderson, who played 36 times for the Swans and scored eight goals, jumped at the opportunity to return to his native East Midlands when he was aware of manager Colin Calderwood’s interest.

“I enjoyed last season at Swansea but, after speaking to Forest, I just felt it was the right move for me,” Anderson said.

“I’m joining a big club in Forest and I am very excited about the challenge of trying to help them make an impact in The Championship.”

Regardless anyway, its a good move, we'll get a better indicator of how he is in the championship.

• Advertisement

the articulate Caragher...

That actually made milk come out of my nose!!!! :D

It's a football forum mate.

Do you have to support a club to discuss their transfers or rumours?

Vote here for change.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312015

Boggles wrote: »

Vote here for change.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312015

reasonable discussion is all well and good but thinly veiled trolling, or loud blatent trolling, like Ekels, is not. Just fuks up the actual discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I was always sad to see danny murphy get kicked out.
    He always managed to get a goal against man utd as well :)
    Really was delighted for him to get the goal to keep fulham from the drop.

whatever Wikipedia says now, when Danny left the official line was Rafa told him he wasnt guaranteed a first team place, understandable with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Hamman and Garcia all vying for MC and AMC positions and all much better than Murphy. Danny then left to join Charlton citing wanting to work under an English manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/3554300.stm

but i was always under the impression he choose to leave rather than fight for his place, far from kicked out if you ask me.

At the height of teh Barry debacle this thread was jammed with Villa fans and there was plenty of discussion - some of it heated - and I'm sure no one has a problem with that. I'll second ~Rebel~, the more the merrier, another viewpoint is always welcome.

What I don't understand is the Utd fan obsession with Liverpool. They all give it socks about our lack of quality but seem utterly incapable of having a discussion without either clumsily belittling LFC or making outsize claims about thier own players.

Like I said I think it's the ugly wife syndrome myself. My father in law is a Blue Nose and I know how pained he feels knowing how close he came to supporting the right club but just falling short. Perhaps you feel the same way Boggles? :)

i fully support other fans coming on here and giving their opinion or asking a question, but they should be making a positive contribution not trying to get a rise out of the regular posters, which imho you and a few others do.

also you are the 5th highest poster in this thread, it's kinda sad that you are this obsessed with Liverpool, why don't you just admit you want to support us but the attraction of glory is too much for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not too sure how he's unheard of. I didn't know of him as i dont watch much Serie A, but he seems to have been the stand out Left Back of the season. Rave reviews from any Italian based journalists.

Right, and he only has one cap for Italy.

Perhaps you feel the same way Boggles? :)

No Amadeus, Delighted at my choice thanks. ;)

I wonder if that was given to him by that talented manager the Italians have I mean had...

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i fully support other fans coming on here and giving their opinion or asking a question, but they should be making a positive contribution not trying to get a rise out of the regular posters, which imho you and a few others do.

also you are the 5th highest poster in this thread, it's kinda sad that you are this obsessed with Liverpool, why don't you just admit you want to support us but the attraction of glory is too much for ya...

Your not contributing much to football talk with that rubbish are you?

Seriously get over it, report the post, put the poster on ignore, but heaven sake stop acting like a woman.

CARRAGHER - REDS MUST DELIVER

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3745472,00.html

• Advertisement

No Amadeus, Delighted at my choice thanks. ;)

There's the difference you see.

I didn't choose to support my club, I was born supporting Liverpool, couldn't choose to support a club, don't understand how people can.

There's the difference you see.

I didn't choose to support my club, I was born supporting Liverpool, couldn't choose to support a club, don't understand how people can.

I lived in Liverpool for a bit, what part were you born in?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/27/liverpool.premierleague so looks like crouch is finally gone then. Is the lad Dossena any good?

I lived in Liverpool for a bit, what part were you born in?

I was born in Lancashire, about 20 mins down the road from Liverpool, thanks for asking. Still have family in the area and married into a scouse family.

What part of Manchester were you born in?

Th Italian fullbacks are savage! They were the best thing about the italian team along with Pirlo in this competition.

Having 1 cap in the italian team in what is traditionally one of their strongest positions is a testement to him imo, it shows he did have a great season to deserve a call up in the first place and proves that he's not 'unheard of'. He's had one excellent season now, and im sure if his form continues he'll get more caps.

Calling him unheard of is just silly.

Your not contributing much to football talk with that rubbish are you?

Seriously get over it, report the post, put the poster on ignore, but heaven sake stop acting like a woman.

au contraire by highlighting how you annoy people around here i would hope you may leave and never post here again therefore it would be a huge positive contribution to this thread.

secondly i could post gibberish and contibute more than your posts around here really.

• Advertisement

I was born in Lancashire, about 20 mins down the road from Liverpool, thanks for asking. Still have family in the area and married into a scouse family.

What part of Manchester were you born in?

Silly road you are going down. This is an Irish Liverpool thread, the vast vast majority of us are plastic fans :)
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Th Italian fullbacks are savage! They were the best thing about the italian team along with Pirlo in this competition.

Having 1 cap in the italian team in what is traditionally one of their strongest positions is a testement to him imo, it shows he did have a great season to deserve a call up in the first place and proves that he's not 'unheard of'. He's had one excellent season now, and im sure if his form continues he'll get more caps.

Calling him unheard of is just silly.

Grosso was probably Italias best player I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Silly road you are going down. This is an Irish Liverpool thread, the vast vast majority of us are plastic fans :)

Grosso was probably Italias best player I thought.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

It would be hard to shift Grosso out of his position, and Zambrotta? no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

A bit like the man who learns to love hs ugly wife rather than her beautiful sister...

Bravo mate. One of the best quotes on msg boards. Anywhere. Ever. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This thread is starting to get ridiculous.

I posted this on the old thread before it was locked, and it's the same thing I feel like saying now again

But anyway, this is getting farcical.

Liverpool fans here want to see an improvement in their team, and they want to see evident signs of improvement, as well as looking at how close things really are at the top. It gives some comfort after a trophyless season, and it's a reasonable analysis.

Non Liverpool fans want to come in here and do Liverpool down. They don't do this in a very obvious or overt way. They 'come in peace', as reasoned debaters/observers. Some of them are. But a lot of the ones I used to think were, are not, in my opinion. Their words are carefully chosen and their posts carefully crafted in such a way as to make it look like they are chipping in with helpful and reasoned argument. But they are putting the knife in, they are patronising us, and enjoying it all the more because they get people's hackles up and when they're taken up on it they can take a step back and go "woah there, I come in peace, these are the FACTS, why are you going ballistic, calm down.." etc.

I'm sick of it.

• Advertisement

amadeus wrote:
    the articulate Caragher...

I'm sorry, are you discriminating against Carra cause he has a Liverpool accent?
    Cause that's what it looks like.

Carra has never once been anything but articulate, and humble.
    He's a credit to himself always.
    Even taking the classy option when leaving the England set up that mistreated him so badly.

You're profiling him cause he has a scouse accent!

Now that is something worth reporting.

:eek:

This forum is getting ridiculous!

Then explain please?

How does somebody calling Carra articulate cause you to react as such?!

"That actually made milk come out of my nose!!!!:D"

That's you saying that Carra isn't articulate is it not?!
    Well he obviously really is.
    Every interview hes ever had oozes class.
    And you laugh at him for it.

If not for his accent, why?

Does his face make him less articulate?

:eek:

This forum is getting ridiculous!

well the door is open, dont let it hit you on the way out....

anyway, i would be much happier with Downing than Milner but we dont really need a LW if Babel is gonna get another season there. The priority is a RW.

would anyone else be glad to see the back of benayoun? i know he scored a good few goals last year but he is a poor mans Garcia and i would prefer to see some of the youngsters play ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

In before the lock :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm posting this in a peace making effort.

Everyone needs to [scouse accent] calm down, calm down [/scouse accent]

The reason fans other that liverpool fans come in here is to talk about soccer. Its arguably one the most active soccer threads so they know that they will at least get their soccer fix every hour.

Some people come in here to rise the liverpool fans and to be honest I cant blame them cos the reactions here are so over the top.

I dont care who posts here once they are not abusive and contribute something to the discussion.

Every one needs to grow the **** up

well the door is open, dont let it hit you on the way out....

anyway, i would be much happier with Downing than Milner but we dont really need a LW if Babel is gonna get another season there. The priority is a RW.

would anyone else be glad to see the back of benayoun? i know he scored a good few goals last year but he is a poor mans Garcia and i would prefer to see some of the youngsters play ahead of him.

I'm happy with Benayoun as back up.
    He can change games, and is good at coming off the bench and breaking down teams that have shut up shop.

As for the new wing forward, I think that Rafa is looking for something very similar to Spains line up.

Technically they line up as a 4-3-3 with Torres in the middle, Silva on the left, and Villa on the right.
    This is not the way it works though, and Villa Torres and Silva swap about constantly.

I think Rafa wants the same with Torres, Babel and (Silva;)) swapping around, and even Stevie G in the middle cutting outside onto the flanks.

That's just my thoughts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

whatever Wikipedia says now, when Danny left the official line was Rafa told him he wasnt guaranteed a first team place, understandable with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Hamman and Garcia all vying for MC and AMC positions and all much better than Murphy. Danny then left to join Charlton citing wanting to work under an English manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/3554300.stm

but i was always under the impression he choose to leave rather than fight for his place, far from kicked out if you ask me.

IIRC, I think it was in Steven Gerard's books where he spoke of their being 2 or 3 cliques within the Liverpool training ground. Danny Murphy was involved in the one with English players and Rafa's first intention was to desmantle these groups. I think that this was a major reason that Murphy got the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's a credit to himself always.
    apart from asking the radio reporter to come down to liverpool's training ground to sort things out (looking for a fight), or when getting mouthy at fans after a game (looking for a fight!).

Tauren wrote: »
    apart from asking the radio reporter to come down to liverpool's training ground to sort things out (looking for a fight), or when getting mouthy at fans after a game (looking for a fight!).

:)

****ing legend.

(the radio thing was tongue in cheek though if you listen to it)

and the other thing, they spat and threw beer at him and were mocking him, i wish he got the cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tauren wrote: »

cga0275l.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement