Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Tauren wrote: »
    apart from asking the radio reporter to come down to liverpool's training ground to sort things out (looking for a fight), or when getting mouthy at fans after a game (looking for a fight!).
    Trolling of the highest order, well done bosco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

joker77 wrote: »
    Trolling of the highest order, well done bosco

That is not trolling - its true. Carra is a working class lad, he was a bad example to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

apart from asking the radio reporter to come down to liverpool's training ground to sort things out (looking for a fight), or when getting mouthy at fans after a game (looking for a fight!).

Great job in taking a quote completely out of context.

We were talking about interviews.
    Carra is great infront of a mike, and very "ARTICULATE", in his interviews.

It doesn't matter if he sacrifies goats to the devil in his spare time, he is articulate with a camera on him!

Boggles said that the idea that Carra is articulate was laughable.
    That is what I responded to.
    So stop clouding the water with crap that has nothing to do with the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »
    I have never read such shíté in all my life!!!

Torres would not get in the United team!!! :D:D:D
    Utter rubbish - Torres would get into the United team and be freaking amazing. He would a fantastic signing for United (NOT SAYING UNITED WILL SIGN HIM.
    Carra has never once been anything but articulate, and humble.
    He's a credit to himself always.
    Great job in taking a quote completely out of context.

We were talking about interviews.
    Carra is great infront of a mike, and very "ARTICULATE", in his interviews.

It doesn't matter if he sacrifies goats to the devil in his spare time, he is articulate with a camera on him!

Boggles said that the idea that Carra is articulate was laughable.
    That is what I responded to.
    So stop clouding the water with crap that has nothing to do with the conversation.
    No - you said ALWAYS articulate AND HUMBLE. Calling people out isn't humble and isn't a credit to himself either. Though, i did say fair play to him at the time for even calling in to the radio show and fighting his corner and the fans after the game probably deserved a smack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, what the hell happened here?
    Can people please stop talking about utter completely stupid crap?
    That'd be just great.

---

Also surely somebody who says stuff like Torres wouldn't make it into the United team and such, if you think are such a deluded viewpoint, you would just put them on ignore, since they add nothng in your viewpoint to the conversation.

----

Benayoun is a really interesting player for me. He's pretty handy to have as an option, isn't amazing, but isn't going to make the system not work. Can't see any real reason why you would sell him, unless he's unhappy.

The same with Voronin. The problem with him isn't that he's ****e. He's 4th choice striker and not a bad one. The problem is that he is playing too much. Just like Kuyt. He's quite the trooper, gives a real option, and imo is great for big games where they were decided by heart rather than skill, but against an utterly ****e team, he just isn't good enough consistantly.

The problem with them isn't they are bad, it's just they shouldn't be playing as much.

Is there any real movement on a new winger front? Seems to be well down Rafa's apparent list of priorities based on the news coming out of Anfield.

No, this is how it all began, as I'm sure you can see for yourself.

Amadeus stated that Carra was articulate.

Boogles responded in an insulting and derisive manner.

I took him up on it.

Perhaps the dignity of our players - the articulate Caragher versus the objectionable Neville; the humble Torres rather than the preening Ronaldo. Maybe the humour and dignity of our manager when contrasted with one who refuses to speak to the main brodcaster of the country he works in.

Boggles wrote: »
    That actually made milk come out of my nose!!!! :D

I'm sorry, are you discriminating against Carra cause he has a Liverpool accent?
    Cause that's what it looks like.

Carra has never once been anything but articulate, and humble.
    He's a credit to himself always.
    Even taking the classy option when leaving the England set up that mistreated him so badly.

You're profiling him cause he has a scouse accent!

Now that is something worth reporting.

And as usual whenever someone calls him out, Boggles goes off and just ignores the poster and finds something else to try and get a rise out of the fans here.

Carra is an out and out professional.
    And I find it contemptable that Boogles would be so derisive towards him.
    Simple.

PHB wrote: »
    Is there any real movement on a new winger front? Seems to be well down Rafa's apparent list of priorities based on the news coming out of Anfield.

I wouldnt say that, 90% of the players we've been linked with have been wide players, Riera,Milner,Downing,Silva,VDV,Bentley.

The full back situation is now sorted, and obviously GB is still on the radar, i'd imagine, most of his attention is now on the wide positions.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that, 90% of the players we've been linked with have been wide players, Riera,Milner,Downing,Silva,VDV,Bentley.

The full back situation is now sorted, and obviously GB is still on the radar, i'd imagine, most of his attention is now on the wide positions.

Did GB also not hint that All the links to wingers may be a ploy to hide the real target?

to me, Benayoun is a more creative and attacking version of Park (who is more defensive and simple option) A solid squad player who can play in a variety of positions to good effect and can actually create. Every team needs squad players and Benayoun is as good a squad player as any team could want, imo.

Wouldn't say the same for Vorinin though, i think he simply isn't good enough and offers little to the team.

I agree in general, liverpool has a lot of good players, but not enough great ones at the moment.

• Advertisement

Barry? Balegue? Briton? Bush? Too many GB's.

Barry.

And i liked the way ya said Utter Rubbish up there ^^^ has been a while! :)

Barry.

And i liked the way ya said Utter Rubbish up there ^^^ has been a while! :)
    well, you know, when its utter rubbish its gotta be called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Barry? Balegue? Briton? Bush? Too many GB's.

he meant Guillem Ballague, he said Rafa was trying to hide what he was doing by letting a load of false targets leak to the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Anyone hear it on the sports news today that Galatasaray are making an offer to us for Charles Itandje.They are offering 3 million:pac:.Id bite there hand off for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Anyone hear it on the sports news today that Galatasaray are making an offer to us for Charles Itandje.They are offering 3 million:pac:.Id bite there hand off for that.

Bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you sure the word million should be in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are you sure the word million should be in there?

:pac: could have been 3 messly pound instead of 3 million pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

3 million Japenese Yen maybe? That would be £14,177:D

I'm going to say this very nicely, please all of you shut the **** up, or else you will be banned. Final warning for a couple of you, including fans of Liverpool and fans of other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm going to say this very nicely, please all of you shut the **** up, or else you will be banned. Final warning for a couple of you, including fans of Liverpool and fans of other clubs.

Erm....very nicely put:pac::p

Anyway back on topic. I have watched David Silva closely in this tournament and he has some potential. Has a nice shot and can show great strength and ball control. But he is very hit and miss, and doesn't overly impress me as an out and out winger. It would be a nice buy by Rafa, but not for the rumoured £20m price tag, nowhere near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rosboy wrote: »
    3 million Japenese Yen maybe? That would be £14,177:D

If that includes wages then maybe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Erm....very nicely put:pac::p

Anyway back on topic. I have watched David Silva closely in this tournament and he has some potential. Has a nice shot and can show great strength and ball control. But he is very hit and miss, and doesn't overly impress me as an out and out winger. It would be a nice buy by Rafa, but not for the rumoured £20m price tag, nowhere near it.

The thing is, most teams have defended very tightly against Spain so far. Villa & Fabregas are the only attacking players that have really impressed for spain consistently. Its not fair to judge Silva on euro 08.

Hes not really a winger in the Pennant sense. He drifts inside. In fact, hes very like Garcia only much more consistent, faster and much younger.

15m is a more fair price but then again, we are about to pay 12m for Downing and 15m for Barry so...20m doesnt seem all that crazy in todays market. If Ronaldo is worth 70m, Silva is worth 20m!

Tusky wrote: »
    The thing is, most teams have defended very tightly against Spain so far. Villa & Fabregas are the only attacking players that have really impressed for spain consistently. Its not fair to judge Silva on euro 08.

Hes not really a winger in the Pennant sense. He drifts inside. In fact, hes very like Garcia only much more consistent, faster and much younger.

15m is a more fair price but then again, we are about to pay 12m for Downing and 15m for Barry so...20m doesnt seem all that crazy in todays market. If Ronaldo is worth 70m, Silva is worth 20m!

He undoubtedly has talent and as I said, he has potential to be a world beater. I just think that he did Valencia no favours in rating him at £20m+, whereas Villa on the other hand has gone from being £16m rated pre-tournament to being valued now at £25m+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would have major reservations about Silva based purely on that tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I agree, not sure that I would like to see him over some of the other guys we have been linked to, but then if we got him over some of the other tat we have been linked with I would be pleased if you know what I am saying.

I agree, not sure that I would like to see him over some of the other guys we have been linked to, but then if we got him over some of the other tat we have been linked with I would be pleased if you know what I am saying.

What wide players that we have been linked with, would you have over him ? Downing ? Milner ? Riera ?

In regards judging a player on a tournament, you wouldnt think Iniesta or Torrer were world beaters based on euro 08. Or Ballack...or even Ronaldo.

Am not talking purely wide players, just players in general. If it were a straight choice between he and villa then I know which I would prefer.

Would have no problems with Downing being signed. He is a decent player and has been for 3 or 4 seasons now. The same applies to Milner.

Time your get your head out of your arses lads.

Am not talking purely wide players, just players in general. If it were a straight choice between he and villa then I know which I would prefer.

Villa doesnt fit into our system though and would cost much more. Id say Silva would be 16-18m. Villa would be 25-28m at this stage.

The system can change if there are good players to fit into a new one.

• Advertisement

Interesting you mention that about Torres. I was just listening to Newstalk and the presenter Ken said to Guillem Balague that he thought Torres has had a disappointing tournament. Balague disagreed strongly because Spain play a different way to Liverpool and Torres fits effectively into both teams. Torres is more a link up player from the midfield to the frontline for Spain instead of being the focal point like he is for Liverpool and has done well in his role for Spain imho.

Indeed and Villa has already attributed quite a few of his goals in the tournament to the way that Torres makes space for him.

The system can change if there are good players to fit into a new one.

I would agree with you if we werent after G.Barry. But if we bought both Barry and Villa, one of them would be on the bench or on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Now there's an interesting one, plenty of flair and creativity. Not an out and out winger, yet I think he'd be most effective linking up with Gerrard; that would put the fear of God into most left backs.

my feeling on downing is its a very similar buy to pennant. had a good season so now he must be great.
    i hope he proves me wrong if we do get him...not like that tit pennant.

****ing pennant!

my feeling on downing is its a very similar buy to pennant. had a good season so now he must be great.
    i hope he proves me wrong if we do get him...not like that tit pennant.

****ing pennant!

He has has more than 1 good season. He has been around for a quite a few years now and has nearly 200 club appearences under his belt.

Last season was an extremely good season when you consider how **** boro were. He scored 9 goals in 38 PL games.. That is exactly what we need..

I'm of the opinion that Torres at his best is a withdrawn striker. I know this year it worked well with him up front, but I think that defenders will realise the best way to dela with him is to drop deep, which is what happened in Spain.

His real talent is just behind the striker imo, so if Liverpool do sign another striker, even if he is a eading the line striker, it'll be fine, because Torres can drop behind, and Gerrard can be pushed to the left or right depending on your wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I'm of the opinion that Torres at his best is a withdrawn striker. I know this year it worked well with him up front, but I think that defenders will realise the best way to dela with him is to drop deep, which is what happened in Spain.

It'll give Gerrard more space though if the defenders hold off. Chelsea smothered Torres very well and Makelele did a great job on Gerrard. Not many English teams have defenders of the ilk of Carvalho and Makalele though.

Your point is still valid and a third serious threat up front would give us a great chance of competing next year. Torres seems quite versatile so don't be surprised if Benitez tinkers a bit with his position if we have similar quality to lead the line.

He scored 9 goals in 38 PL games.. That is exactly what we need..

I think we need a few more than that. How many did benayoun get?
    Id be hoping that any winger we get would get into double figures

• Advertisement

I think we need a few more than that. How many did benayoun get?
    Id be hoping that any winger we get would get into double figures

He got 4 in 30..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

His real talent is just behind the striker imo, so if Liverpool do sign another striker, even if he is a eading the line striker, it'll be fine, because Torres can drop behind, and Gerrard can be pushed to the left or right depending on your wingers.

based on what evidence?

he has had the best season of his career as a lead striker :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Says in the bbc rumours today that Itandje might be heading off, leaving us with Carson as back up. If Scott is happy with this, it's a great outcome for us and him. He'll surely get a few decent games with us and this year's FA cup will be a special one for Liverpool. Good opportunity for him to rebuild his reputation.

Carson is a far better keeper to have in reserve that itandje who has been dire in every game I have seen him in. Not sure that Carson will be happy as a reserve though.

Cyrus wrote: »
    based on what evidence?

he has had the best season of his career as a lead striker :confused:

Indeed, but imo he's better as a withdrawn striker. To me this year, he was 'doing a job' as a leading the line striker, but it's not really his natural position. He also, oddly, had an advantage this year because he adjusted so quickly.

I think when foreigners come into the premiership, you get a sort of pattern where,

A. They are crap because they haven't adjusted yet
    B. They adjust and are thus really good
    C. Teams realise that they are the biggest threat and start to learn of ways how to deal with them.
    D. The player then readjusts

A Drogba with Torres behind and Gerrard on either wing would be a much more effective system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nah PHP i don't agree. I think he's just a total footballer in some ways. he's perfect for a team with a fluid attacking block where the forward 3 or 4 constantly swap positions with runs to drag defenders out. He could probably operate well in a wide position if you asked him. this is why Liverpool imo need to go after somewhat more dynamic wide men than Bently or Downing. both are good players, but imo are slightly static and play too deep for Pool's sytem. that way, not only will Torres get you goals but he'll get you feckton's of assists too if your wing forwards can play off the shoulder.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, as part of a fluid attacking formation he'd be lethal. But even in that, his natural talent imo lies behind the main striker more often than not. He's just got too much creativity to be so far up the pitch.

If you had something like say

Drogba
    -Silva
    Torres
    Gerrard

You'd be a much more effective attacking unit than say

Torres
    -Silva
    Gerrard
    Bentley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i totally disagree and have seen no evidence of this whatsoever, im slightly baffled to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

no i don't think so. Drogba is an excellent target man but he's somewhat static. A system with him in typically revolves around a long ball up, and a knock down to the onrushing midfielders who are ready to pounce. he relies on pace strength and power more than his positional sense and movement. Torres could play the role behind him easily but I don't see why you'd want too. neutralize Drogba and you've essentially nulled the system, as everything is pretty much complimentary to the main striker.

with Torres up there however you've the potential for a much more versatile system. He can play off the shoulder, he can play as the target man holding the ball up but he can also drop deep and play the a withdrawn role bringing others into play with his role similarish to Totti. Or he can go wide to split the defence, all in all i think it makes for a much more versatile system. In essence the positions of the front four become meaningless; block formations i think they call it, as opposed to designated positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

im afraid PHB i have ta disagree with you

for all torress' good points he's not a link player like an arshavin, sneijder type of player!!

his best position is on the defenders shoulder, when hes put through on goal and depends on his instinct for scoring!!

if opposition teams drop deep to counter-act this, then its up to the other liverpool players to draw them out like an arsenal or a barcelona would-for this we need good creative players who are comfortable on the ball and don't try to play the killer pass first time every time, like gerrard does......unfortunately i dont think we have these players at the moment!!

He got 4 in 30..

:o Ahem.

I thought he did better than that though. Perhaps i'm including chamions league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement