Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

:o Ahem.

I thought he did better than that though. Perhaps i'm including chamions league.

Are you talking about Benayoun ? He got 10 goals in all comps. Very good considering he mostly came on for the last 20 minutes of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tusky wrote: »
    Are you talking about Benayoun ? He got 10 goals in all comps. Very good considering he mostly came on for the last 20 minutes of games.

Yea I dont mind Benayoun he's your typical squad player. A shade better than Park.

Yossi smells :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yes all comps was quite good, the point was raised though that he did as well as downing in the league, but downing got twice as many. I still wouldn't part with yossi tho.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    yes all comps was quite good, the point was raised though that he did as well as downing in the league, but downing got twice as many. I still wouldn't part with yossi tho.

Downing may have scored twice as many in the league, but I bet he played more than twice as many minutes than Benayoun. Also, Benayoun didnt cost 12m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

taidghbaby wrote: »
    im afraid PHB i have ta disagree with you

for all torress' good points he's not a link player like an arshavin, sneijder type of player!!

his best position is on the defenders shoulder, when hes put through on goal and depends on his instinct for scoring!!

if opposition teams drop deep to counter-act this, then its up to the other liverpool players to draw them out like an arsenal or a barcelona would-for this we need good creative players who are comfortable on the ball and don't try to play the killer pass first time every time, like gerrard does......unfortunately i dont think we have these players at the moment!!

Couldnt agree more, PHB think you are a mile off the mark.
    How on earth can you say a striker who can score 25 goals in a season
    would be better off playing in the hole which would limit his scoring chances?
    He has never played in the hole or as a second striker for any team he has
    played for, so why on earth do you think that would be his best position?
    For me it most certainly wouldnt and his ability to make space for others
    with his movement would be a huge loss to the likes of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Downing may have scored twice as many in the league, but I bet he played more than twice as many minutes than Benayoun. Also, Benayoun didnt cost 12m.

Prem Minutes ----Assists
    Goals----Min/Goal---Min/Assist
    Benayoun
    Downing
    Milner
    Bentley

Taken from http://www.premierleague.com/page/Home/0,,12306,00.html

These are of course just statistics, and are just for reference. It of course doesn't end any arguments. If you looked at Torres goals/min record before he came to Liverpool, you would have said that there were a lot of better options out there. I'm posting cos I hate seeing people arguing with wrong/no statistics
    And thats my disclaimer over:p

rosboy wrote: »

Prem Minutes ----Assists
    Benayoun
    Downing
    Milner
    Bentley

These are of course just statistics, and are just an just for reference. It of course doesn't end any arguments. If you looked at Torres goals/min record before he came to Liverpool, you would have said that there were a lot of better options out there.

So Milner will get you a goal and an assist every 12 games. :eek:

So Milner will get you a goal and an assist every 12 games. :eek:

Remember Tusky:
    These are of course just statistics, and are just for reference. It of course doesn't end any arguments. If you looked at Torres goals/min record before he came to Liverpool, you would have said that there were a lot of better options out there. I'm posting cos I hate seeing people arguing with wrong/no statistics
    :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

IrishMike wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more, PHB think you are a mile off the mark.
    How on earth can you say a striker who can score 25 goals in a season
    would be better off playing in the hole which would limit his scoring chances?
    He has never played in the hole or as a second striker for any team he has
    played for, so why on earth do you think that would be his best position?
    For me it most certainly wouldnt and his ability to make space for others
    with his movement would be a huge loss to the likes of Gerrard.

He's more of a link and a provider in the Spain team than the focal point, and he does a fine job of it too. His runs and his passes all benefit Villa greatly. I'm not saying that he is better in his Spain role than in his Liverpool role but it's not fair to dimiss the very effective role he plays for Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He's more of a link and a provider in the Spain team than the focal point, and he does a fine job of it too. His runs and his passes all benefit Villa greatly. I'm not saying that he is better in his Spain role than in his Liverpool role but it's not fair to dimiss the very effective role he plays for Spain.
    yeah but you cant compare liverpool to spain:

spain have a team full of footballers who are all good on the ball and have terrific movement-liverpool are not that (as much as i'd hope they would be:()
    also international football is different from the preiership-becuase the premiership is played at such a high tempo you need speed in attack to stretch out the opposition. in international football its a more technical, deliberate sort of game!

to take torress away from a main striker role would imo be a big mistake!

i havent seen spain play that much, but when i have i dont think that torress has reached anywhere near the heights he did with liverpool last season-mostly because i dont think thay've been utilising his strengths!!

• Advertisement

taidghbaby wrote: »
    yeah but you cant compare liverpool to spain:

spain have a team full of footballers who are all good on the ball and have terrific movement-liverpool are not that (as much as i'd hope they would be:()
    also international football is different from the preiership-becuase the premiership is played at such a high tempo you need speed in attack to stretch out the opposition. in international football its a more technical, deliberate sort of game!

to take torress away from a main striker role would imo be a big mistake!

i havent seen spain play that much, but when i have i dont think that torress has reached anywhere near the heights he did with liverpool last season-mostly because i dont think thay've been utilising his strengths!!

As you said they are a team full of footballers so they can somewhat afford to have Torres in a role that benefits Villa more, who is (and I fear I may be shot for this) a more natural goalscorer than Torres (when you have followed Villa over the years you will hopefully know what I mean).

Torres is absolutely thrilling for Liverpool but he does what he has to do well for Spain too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

As you said they are a team full of footballers so they can somewhat afford to have Torres in a role that benefits Villa more, who is (and I fear I may be shot for this) a more natural goalscorer than Torres (when you have followed Villa over the years you will hopefully know what I mean).

Torres is absolutely thrilling for Liverpool but he does what he has to do well for Spain too.

Agreed.The lad has shown in this tournament his ability to perform a different type of duty to the one he performs at liverpool.whilst granted he hasnt taken the tournament by the scruff of the neck and be "the star" of the euros he has done an excellent job in bringing others into the game with his ability to hold the ball up and supply others with killer passes and generally lead the line better than any other striker at the euros.cant wait to see him with the trophy aloft on Sunday night.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Prem Minutes ----Assists
    Benayoun
    Downing
    Milner
    Bentley

According this link, Downing got 9 PL goal last season. 9 goals and 9 assists is a good return imo.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Agreed.The lad has shown in this tournament his ability to perform a different type of duty to the one he performs at liverpool.whilst granted he hasnt taken the tournament by the scruff of the neck and be "the star" of the euros he has done an excellent job in bringing others into the game with his ability to hold the ball up and supply others with killer passes and generally lead the line better than any other striker at the euros.cant wait to see him with the trophy aloft on Sunday night.:)

He thoroughly deserves to lift that trophy aloft to cap off the fine season he has had.

And who knows, maybe we will see the 'real Torres' if they play him up front with someone just in behind him (like Stevie). Though I don't think it is a banker that Fabregas will start like the press will tell us, I won't be surprised if Guiza plays up front with him.

He thoroughly deserves to lift that trophy aloft to cap off the fine season he has had.

And who knows, maybe we will see the 'real Torres' if they play him up front with someone just in behind him (like Stevie). Though I don't think it is a banker that Fabregas will start like the press will tell us, I won't be surprised if Guiza plays up front with him.

Personally i think Fabergas deserves the start but i doubt if he will start.The manager has a system he likes (two front men)and i doubt if he will change that for the final.Would love Fabergas not to start and Spain to go on and win the game just to hear the press reaction afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Personally i think Fabergas deserves the start but i doubt if he will start.The manager has a system he likes (two front men)and i doubt if he will change that for the final.Would love Fabergas not to start and Spain to go on and win the game just to hear the press reaction afterwards.
    spain cant win.............

cuz if they do then dunphy wont have to eat humble pie and contradict himself..........again!!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is doing the rounds,Make of it what you will.

Right,lads,
    an update as promised,
    I had a good chat today with a mate on the payroll at Laing O`Rourkes,

Firstly there are NO enabling works to be carried out as all of these were completed approx. 18 months ago for architects and design specifications to be drawn up etc.etc.
    The only work possibly being done is removal of some old trees and shrubbery and the boarding up of an enclosed section by the car park to house a limited amount of plant, machinery and cabins................................. .
    But this was pre-arranged for when Laings contract on the `Triangle` at L1 was completed in September,

The phrase "No silver has been exchanged" was very prominent when pressed about the steel requirements and other materials .....................

Laing O`Rourkes had an agreement to move onto the Stanley park site and the crunch financial deadline is Monday 15th Sept.

If there has been no investment secured prior to then, they have other contracts [Pinderfields and Hope Hospital are but 2] which will then take priority and further potential work at the Stanley site will be delayed indefinitely as they have machinery and a work force to prioritise,and new deadlines and penalty clauses to beat.

The cowboys have not complied with any guarantees regarding construction contracts or material purchasing and word within the firm is that they have nil confidence in the Yanks being forthcoming in the near future......

This boarding up and housing of plant etc, is just part of the original agreement with LCC, and is nothing to do with excavation work, unless they receive `bona fide` financial commitment from the `Custodians` of the club,

The general consensus is that they are using this situation as a `smokescreen` until they can,
    A) Find suitable financial investment in time to meet the stadium commencement deadline and to refinance their existing loans,
    If so they will give the go ahead for `phase 1` the initial excavation work for underground car park and foundations,
    This strategy will enable them to offer the entire project including LFC [plus all existing loans] at a far bigger profit margin for themselves than is already `on the table`,
    It remains to be seen if ANY group is willing to match this increased valuation especially in the current economic climate..............

B) If no offers, then they have no alternative but to plough on whilst continuing to borrow more and more as each phase requires, in the hope that they will not be turned down as the finance houses have loaned deeply to them from the start,
    This will be no personal risk to them as ALL loans will now be placed on the club, and they will be guaranteed full backing as they could use any objections as an excuse for any delays or abandonment of the project,

C)If they cannot raise the necessary funds in the required timescale, then they may have no alternative than to seek out any prospective investors to purchase the club.......obviously it is in the `Custodians` interest to begin all aforementioned works to obtain the highest possible premium on their franchise.

The whole malarkey seems more and more iffy with every day that passes..........

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=46659

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thanks Dub13. But That's just depressing.:(

Here's hoping that nando becomes a European Champion today.Looking forward to seeing him with a big smile on his face and the trophy in his hands.Looks like we could be involved in a possible deal with Spurs for Robbie Keane.Have to say that i would love to see him at the club.He is in my opinion just the kind of front man we are after and sure he would jump at the chance for some silverware with us.Always have rated him and think he would prosper at a big club.Here's hoping.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

All the weekends paper talk

Liverpool want to swap Peter Crouch for Spurs striker Robbie Keane in a player-plus-cash deal. (News of the World)

--No chance at all of that happening

Galatasaray have signed Liverpool goalkeeper Charles Itandje for £2m, scuppering Scott Carson's chance of a quick exit from Anfield. (Daily Mail)

--1.9m more than he is worth

Ajax have joined Tottenham and Portsmouth in trying to sign Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun by bidding £5m for the Israel midfielder. (Daily Mail)

--£5m would not replace him so cant see that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

All the weekends paper talk

Liverpool want to swap Peter Crouch for Spurs striker Robbie Keane in a player-plus-cash deal. (News of the World)

--No chance at all of that happening

Galatasaray have signed Liverpool goalkeeper Charles Itandje for £2m, scuppering Scott Carson's chance of a quick exit from Anfield. (Daily Mail)

--1.9m more than he is worth

Ajax have joined Tottenham and Portsmouth in trying to sign Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun by bidding £5m for the Israel midfielder. (Daily Mail)

--£5m would not replace him so cant see that happening

No way we should sell yossi for that.

crouch in a swap deal for Robbie... I have no idea whether I'd like that or not. Keane is a decent player (underrated by the Irish due to the fact he's rubbish for us!) but I think he'd prob want to play a bit more than he would here...

2m for Charlie... YES PLEASE!

£2m for Itandje, I'll take a guess and say it's probably in 12 months installments!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd hate to see Keane go to Liverpool, I think he's a bit of a legend. Also a very very good footballer and would be a decent cheap alternative to your striker problem, in theory leaving more money for your winger(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Benitez and Robbie Keane:eek: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »
    I'd hate to see Keane go to Liverpool, I think he's a bit of a legend. Also a very very good footballer and would be a decent cheap alternative to your striker problem, in theory leaving more money for your winger(s).

I know what you mean but it might be his chance to win something big...an FA Cup at least. Wont be Pools answer to winning the league but he will improve them, and it would be nice to see him winning a major trophy, even it is at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Was just over on RAWK. Apparantly Le Tallec has signed on at Le Mans for 4 years.

http://www.muc72.fr/actualite/anthony-le-tallec-signe-4-ans-au-muc-72--2361.html

Is he out of contract with us?

Was just over on RAWK. Apparantly Le Tallec has signed on at Le Mans for 4 years.

http://www.muc72.fr/actualite/anthony-le-tallec-signe-4-ans-au-muc-72--2361.html

Is he out of contract with us?

He'd want to be! Been with us forever it seems!

On Keane, think he'd be an excellent replacement for crouch. If we got a straight swap i'd be quite happy. He's another player who could probably do a job in any of the 4 attacking positions. Means we don't have to spend extra on another striker too so more money for winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think so. Must be about that long ago that Houllier bought le two boyos. Neither made it unfortunately, although I would still like to have FSP to bring on.

I think so. Must be about that long ago that Houllier bought le two boyos. Neither made it unfortunately, although I would still like to have FSP to bring on.

Agreed. Would still take FSP over Voronin in a heartbeat. Would suit our 4-2-3-1 nicely as well in either wide position or up front.

Agreed. Would still take FSP over Voronin in a heartbeat. Would suit our 4-2-3-1 nicely as well in either wide position or up front.
    He would certainly offer a bit more and he knew where the goal was too. Bit lightweight for the prem maybe ? My favourite fsp moment was when he megged vieira in the corner that time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Neither made it unfortunately, although I would still like to have FSP to bring on.
    I think Pongolle would have made it as a 4th choice striker or an impact sub but he wanted to move to a club where he would get more games which is fair enough. I haven't seen much of him for Recreativo but I'm pretty sure he's getting more games under his belt there than he would have if he was still at Anfield.
    My favourite fsp moment was when he megged vieira in the corner that time
    My favourite Pongolle moment was when he slotted in the equaliser against Olympiakos in 2004. The English media would have you believe that Liverpool only got through thanks to Gerrard's famous piledriver but a lot of credit should go to both Pongolle and Mellor for their goals in the game.

C'mon lads, FSP's best moment had to be when we were a sorry excuse of a team against Luton in the FA Cup and then he came on and absolutely destroyed Luton. That was the game that made me think Pongolle could have been a real player for us. Yes it was against Luton but we were trailing 3-1 when he came on and he had the class and determination to demolish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

we miss a player like him, think Rafa made a mistake letting him go.

but as has been said, he wanted to go to get more time on the pitch, cant hold that against him or Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Carraghers bar in Liverpool is serving sangria for the whole of tonight for free. Tab is being picked up by none other than Torres himself.

no bull****.

LEGEND

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Carraghers bar in Liverpool is serving sangria for the whole of tonight for free. Tab is being picked up by none other than Torres himself.

no bull****.

LEGEND

What a man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

C'mon lads, FSP's best moment had to be when we were a sorry excuse of a team against Luton in the FA Cup and then he came on and absolutely destroyed Luton.
    I had thought about that game too but I think having a big part to play in getting us out of the Champions League group stages in 2005 was more significant. Remember we were 1:0 down with I think less than 15 minutes to play and we needed to win by two goals. In terms of prestige and financial reward the FA Cup doesn't come close any more.
    we miss a player like him, think Rafa made a mistake letting him go.
    Managers don't really have a lot of choice these days when a player wants to go so I don't think you can really class his departure as a mistake on the part of Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

no bull****.

LEGEND

proof? And please don't quote some liverpool fansite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://www.cafesportsengland.com/news-detail.php
    wrote:
    Torres would like to thank all the Liverpool fans who have supported Spain in the Euro 2008 and especially all his team mates who have been watching at Cafe Sports England. Torres has flown his family over to Liverpool so they can watch the final and soak up the atmosphere at Cafe Sports England! If you would like to join Torres' family and enjoy some complimentary Sangria with your meal then book your table now! Places are extremely limited! See you all soon Vic xxx

pvt.joker wrote: »
    proof? And please don't quote some liverpool fansite

Why do you want proof ffs ? A gesture by a liverpool player for liverpool fans and a Man U fan pops up looking for proof.:rolleyes: You intending to pop on down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

god, how boring must the man u thread be if they are all in here :D

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    god, how boring must the man u thread be if they are all in here :D
    Rofl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tis just jealousy, Portugal were knocked out so early on and now they've no one to cheer and no free sangria coming their way.

Fantastic gesture by Torres anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Rafa Benitez: Liverpool can win the Premier League title

RAFA BENITEZ believes that he can end Liverpool’s 18-year quest for a league title next season.

And the Reds boss admits that lifting the Premier League crown would be “the biggest achievement of my career.”

Benitez has already guided Liverpool to Champions League glory, while in Spain he ended Valencia’s 31-year wait for a La Liga crown, then added a league and UEFA Cup double two years later.

But he admits that trying to repeat those feats at Anfield would be much tougher.

He said: “Winning the title would be the biggest achievement of my career. It’s more difficult than in Spain because teams here spend big money.

“But we will do our best. The key for me is not to talk about winning the title but to talk about doing a good job so we can be close, so we can be contenders.

“If we are close I think that we can win the title.”

Despite the summer break, Benitez’s work-rate has not dipped, and he explained: “You must do your job with your players after the season has ended and in the summertime you need to do your job with your staff.

“The key, though, is to sign the right players with the right mentality – a winning mentality – competitive players, players who are desperate to come here to win something.

“That is the key for me.

“We have been analysing a lot of things this summer. For example, we were conceding a lot of goals last season from set pieces.

“We need to know why because the previous season we only conceded six, but this year it has been 16. We need to know why so we can improve in these areas, but keep the team scoring goals in open play.

“We have been really good in defence for three or four years but we need to improve a little bit if we want to be in contention.”

Here's hoping!!!:o

Read that and had a little giggle at the time, seems he has caught the auld scouse way. "This year is our season" :)

I love how everything is analysed in football.. Reducing the number from 16 to 6 would have a massive impact on any clubs season.

True, that could be the difference between ten and thirty points potentially, that kinda points change would mean that a team could win the league or not get knocked out of it.

I always get the impression that although Rafa would love to win the title, hes resigned to the fact that its most likely not going to happen. He ALWAYS mentions how much more the other teams have to spend and always says that 'we must not talk about winning the title'. Its as if he is preparing the fans for another 3rd or 4th place finish.

Its fair enough as everything he says is true and reasonable.

It is, always takes the pressure off of the players too. Of course, could lead to the players having a ready made excuse for failing too.

Relieving pressure is what I would say it is more about than not thinking he can challenge. I would like to think that if the money was made available that he would at least move on the players that he wants to get. We have seen what he can do when the money is there for him, hopefully it can happen again with another cracking player coming in this season and pushing us on a bit more this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Liverpool are that far off at least mounting a challenge for the league. They need a bit more quality no doubt, but consistency is the name of the game. Plus they need to start taking points off the bigger clubs...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement