Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol at all the bullsh'it! pure bullsh'it... but hope Robbie goes to Pool, can only be good for Ireland and his career

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Keane is a Liverpool fan from what I remember. I think if he came put him on the right and with Kuyt as backup with limited funds its not a bad attacking lineup if we have the same formation we ended the season with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

you gotta have Keane as a second striker though, **** putting him on the right...

On the right :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you gotta have Keane as a second striker though, **** putting him on the right...

indeed. buying a another central player to shunt out of position is madness. are there really that few wing fowards out there?

• Advertisement

Bentley, Lennon, Wright Phillips etc

But being at English and at half decent clubs means overpriced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

RAFA WANTS ROBBIE
    By CHRIS BASCOMBE

LIVERPOOL want Robbie Keane to wear their famous No 7 shirt next season.

Kop boss Rafa Benitez plans a £20million player-plus-cash offer involving wantaway striker Peter Crouch.

But Tottenham have resisted the first tentative Anfield approach for striker Keane.

Spurs told the Reds they would be wasting their time making a formal bid for the Irish ace.

That will not dissuade Benitez, who has decided a forward line of Keane and Fernando Torres is the key to an improved domestic campaign.

Benitez is prepared to restructure his tactical plans to accommodate Keane by pushing Steven Gerrard back into his favoured central midfield role.

Keane’s loyalty to Spurs will be tested now Benitez’s interest is public.

The 27-year-old, who has been at White Hart Lane since 2002, is settled in North London.

Heroes
    But he will be tempted at the prospect of Champions League football and the honour of taking the jersey of one of his boyhood heroes, Kenny Dalglish.

Liverpool are the only English club which can tug so strongly at the ex-Leeds man’s heartstrings as he is known to be a supporter.

Despite an excellent relationship with the Spurs hierarchy, the possibility of a takeover will also be playing on his mind.

England hitman Crouch, 27, may prove key to a deal but he is also a target for Portsmouth, Newcastle and Manchester City.

Pompey had a £9m bid rejected earlier this week, while Toon hope the lure of playing alongside Michael Owen will give them an edge.

If former Spurs trainee Crouch does not fancy a move to his old club, Liverpool will look to buy Keane outright.

Reina

Degen
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Barry
    Masscherano

Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why does everyone always have Degen in their line ups ? I bet he is only going to be back up to Arbeloa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe, Could also be a shift to a narrow 4-3-3 with Gerrard where he was last year but 3 strikers rather then 2 wingers and 1 striker. All strikers pull wide to receive the ball anyway so could potentially work. A lot would come down to how the new supposedly very attacking fullbacks do, they'd need to be providing all the width. Having Keane in Kuyts position would be a little pointless, sure he'd come out wider to recieve the ball, but he shouldn't Have to be out there, it just wouldn't get the best out of him, but if it could work with him being around the right hand side of the box it could be decent.

Very Rafa though, "Always options are important, no?"

[edit]
    Agree that Degen will def start as just backup. Arbeloa's actually pretty decent at adding width anyway when he's allowed get forward imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Arbeloa has had an excellent first season and is still quite young. Agree that he'll be first choice i think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

KEane would do wonders for Torress games and he would allow Gerard to have more freedom to help the defence rather than being solely an attacking player, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Tusky wrote: »
    Why does everyone always have Degen in their line ups ? I bet he is only going to be back up to Arbeloa.

I think a lot of people are linking both Dossena and Degen and are thinking they are both going to be automatic first choices. Dossena I think will be first choice, given what I've read about him and the price.

However with Degen I'd said Arbeloa probably would have to be considered first choice ahead of him (until he gets injured). Also given the fact that Finnan said he was happy to stay at Liverpool and battle for his place seem to suggest that Degen definately wouldn'd be seen as an automatic choice for RB.

To be honest, kinda surprised me about Finnan, as I thought he would be one of the players likeliest to move on, as I didn't see him being happy as third-choice RB. Maybe he doesnt see himself as such though. I think he could definately do a quality job week-in week-out for a mid-level team e.g. Newcastle/Villa. If he stays and it does turn out he is third-choice at Chtistmas, could well be the probability he could move on then. Might also be the case that he is on pretty decent money in terms of wages and that moving on might mean a fairly substanial cut in his pay packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd much prefer to see us going for Berbatov insteado f keane. Especially if we sticking £20mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If he keeps doing his celebration, I'd find it hard to warm to him.

On the keeper thing

£2m for Itandje :D:D:D

There was a rumour on Setanta on Friday that the amount was £3m. :D:D:D

A thing to remember is that his fee from Lens last year was undisclosed. A couple of figures seem to have been bandied about - free, £500k and some rumours of £2m. My own thinking is £500k but tis only a guess. Can't see it being a free, couldn't see it being £2m

If we did manage to make £1.5m profit, given his performances this season, it might just rank up there as one the best bits of transfer business ever. I live in hope. Might just flip if the £3m rumour is true.

However I hope at least the £2m thing is true, because it's all about the cash flow this season, and it basically means £2m cash extra to invest elsewhere. Also it's probably unexpected so in some sense even better:)

As for a replacement Number 2, there are strongish rumours that Antti Niemi might be the replacement. Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Fulham have apparently bought Mark Schwarzer from Boro so Niemi would be surplus to requirements, with Keller and Schwarzer. Seems he is available for a fee of £350k. Seems to be a very decent experienced keeper and himself and Sami are apparently good buddies :pac::D:pac::D so they can keep each other company on the bench. Given Pepe's fitness record and age(did he play every minute of the PL this season in the end?), I'd be more than happy to sign Niemi for a year or two, especially given the cash situation at the club, this summer.

It would basically leave us up £1.5m with the goal-keeper situation covered plus Carson still to flog. Stoke and West Brom were apparently interested in taking him on loan but apparently we want to sell him at this stage. Even if we get really screwed on the deal can't see the worst possible price being less than £4m with a definate possibility of more - I think the current valuation of £6m being mentioned is pretty fair given his recent form, age and potential. Can't see us getting any more than £7m for him even in the wildest scenario though. Even so in the worst case scenario I'm pretty sure that the Villa loan fee covered what we paid for him, so in a sense it's all good:)

So what would people think of Niemi as a number 2 for next season, with Itandje gone for £2m and say Carson for £5m? I'd be well pleased with this if this is how things turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'd much prefer to see us going for Berbatov insteado f keane. Especially if we sticking £20mil.

Berbatov'll never ever play for pool.
    He's one of the laziest players in the prem, and Rafa'd never buy a player like him.

Anyway.
    Berbatov wouldn't score as many for Totenham as he does if it wasn't for his strike partner.
    Keane makes goals.
    And God knows he can score them too.

As for why I personaly think that Degen will become (not start) as first choice, is that he's exactly what Rafa wants.
    He's a wing back.
    Arbeloa isn't.
    Finnan isn't.

Degen played most of his youth career as a right winger, and I think that if Degen doesn't work out, that someone like him will be brought in.

G'wan the Torres!

Germany 0 - 1 Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The-Rigger wrote: »
    G'wan the Torres!

Germany 0 - 1 Spain
    Well done Nando. Great goal. As Alan Green said: "He has scored Liverpool style!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And as motty said, it was the only place that he could have put it.

Alonso to score from the half way line?

/crosses fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

some words from our esteemed exiled colleague.
    mike65 wrote:
    I could bum El Nino but not if Mr Alan has got in there first! :pac:

A nervous game that was, I was convinced Germany would equalise in extra time. Today was a victory for football as much as Spain and Liverpool :)

...Mike. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Carraghers bar in Liverpool is serving sangria for the whole of tonight for free. Tab is being picked up by none other than Torres himself.

no bull****.

LEGEND

Doesnt surprise me at all.What a guy.

Well done Nando.Made up for the guy.Had an absolute blinder tonight :)

pvt.joker wrote: »
    proof? And please don't quote some liverpool fansite

Bitter much?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

found this rumour....its funny to say the least...

£33m Barca duo invited to Tranmere friendly?

http://kop-tv.com/go/ronaldinho-eto-invited-tranmere-friendly/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Well done Nando.Made up for the guy.Had an absolute blinder tonight :)

I agree. He also had a blinder against the Ruskies.

Great goal tonight.

Fernando Torres.

Enough said.

He won the European Cup tonight. He won me money. He got a load of people pissed in Liverpool.

I've said it about a thousand times, but we are so lucky to have him.

special special player.

wonder if they'll re-open the Torres thread from the other day?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fernando Torres.

Enough said.

He won the European Cup tonight. He won me money. He got a load of people pissed in Liverpool.

I've said it about a thousand times, but we are so lucky to have him.

special special player.

They should he was subbed again! :pac: Ah no fair play to him, great finish for his goal tonight.

when people have as good a game as he had tonight and work as tirelessly as he does, its understandable that he gets subbed coming towards the end of a match.

thing is, at that point he's usually done enough to win the game already, like tonight ;)

on a negative note, every ****ing club is going to be singing our Mascherano "seven nation army" tune next season after Uefa using it as their unofficial anthem :( it'll be ruinned now, like "ring of fire" before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well that is an intriguing situation...

Ha Ha Ha.Quality. Where oh where do people come up with this rubbish:rolleyes:

Ha Ha Ha.Quality. Where oh where do people come up with this rubbish:rolleyes:
    +1. £33 million for Eto'o and Ronaldinho is just stupid it would be alot closer to double that figure imo.

+1. £33 million for Eto'o and Ronaldinho is just stupid it would be alot closer to double that figure imo.

It's a nothing story from a nothing source.You are right about Eto's worth at 33 million but Ronaldino's is about 15 at present

Which one was that?

but Ronaldino's is about 15 at present

arguably less because of the insane wages he'll demand to leave Barca. i'd say he might leave for as little as 10-12.

• Advertisement

arguably less because of the insane wages he'll demand to leave Barca. i'd say he might leave for as little as 10-12.
    Barce are looking for £28 million, cant see them dropping that to £10-12 million. Especially with Man City dying to get hold of him.
    We will not pay the 35million euros (£28million) wanted by Barcelona. This sum must fall."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11863_3745689,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

20m for Ronaldinho would suffice I think

10-12:eek:....the guy was the worlds best player couple years back.unplayable.I know he's a had a average seaon gone but his leg hasnt dropped off has it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Villa tell Liverpool: Give us £18m for Barry or you can forget him

By Neil Moxley Last updated at 11:23 PM on 29th June 2008

Liverpool have been told to find an extra £5million or else forget about signing Aston Villa's England midfielder Gareth Barry.

Martin O'Neill has finally put a valuation on his skipper after the midfielder launched a sustained personal attack on his manager.

O'Neill valued the player at £18m after speaking to Villa owner Randy Lerner at length yesterday following Barry stepping up his bid to leave Villa Park. Barry hit out at the lack of urgency at his club, demanding a move to Anfield as he laid into O'Neill for taking on a role as a BBC pundit at the European Championship.

Heading for Anfield: But Gareth Barry won't be cheap for Benitez

Last night O'Neill said he would not stand in Barry's way as long as Liverpool upped the £13m offer received three weeks ago.

O'Neill said: 'The chairman and myself are surprised at what Gareth has said. Contrary to what he alleges, we desperately want to keep him at Villa Park - and he knows that.

More...
    Galatasaray's move for Itandje leaves Liverpool's Carson in limbo
    Boro chief tells Liverpool to forget about trying to sign Stewart Downing

'We asked both Gareth and his agent to consider what had been discussed in our meeting, including a variety of options to incentivise the player. 'Gareth returned from England's matches at the beginning of June only to reiterate his intention to join Liverpool.

He told me that directly. 'But Liverpool's valuation of Gareth has come short of our own. We have made our position clear. If Liverpool meet our valuation, Gareth will have his express wish to leave Villa Park granted.'

Barry had played a dangerous game when he said he had reached the point of no return.

He signalled his intentions when he said: 'I want to join Liverpool. There's no going back. It's time for me to move on. I'm desperate to play in the Champions League and that's why I have to leave.

'Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks. The last time we spoke was just after England's match in Trinidad at the start of June. And that's it.

'It just made me think that he and the club were saying one thing in public but were not really bothered at all about me in private. What other conclusion can you reach?

'It's seven weeks since the season finished but, while the gaffer's found time to be a pundit for the BBC at Euro 2008, he hasn't found the time to speak to me. But Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has shown how much he wants me at Anfield.

'I'm obviously flattered that someone as successful as Rafa Benitez thinks so highly of me, and that he's not been afraid to put his valuation of me in black and white for Villa and all the world to see.

'But have Villa offered me anything to try to persuade me my future is at Villa Park? Not a thing.'

Whether Benitez has the cash at his disposal to push the deal through is questionable. The trail regarding Xabi Alonso's £16m move to Juventus appears to have gone cold for the time being and, with time running out before players return to their clubs, it may be that Barry has to face the music and return to Villa Park before his deal is concluded.

There is no way we should pay 18m for Barry. We are looking to sell Crouch for 10m and Alonso for 14-15m. How is Gareth Barry worth 18m ?

10-12:eek:....the guy was the worlds best player couple years back.unplayable.I know he's a had a average seaon gone but his leg hasnt dropped off has it :D

no, but he's asking something like 10 million a year to leave Barca. he's on a good contract, and even with all the sh*t that's gone on he still seems reluctant to leave so it's gonna be the moeny factor i think that takes him away. now considering his footballing worth has fallen somewhat, and considering his marketing worth has taken a serious dent in recent times a fairish wage would be 4 to 5 mil a year. over the course of his contract though whoever signs will probably be paying a 10 - 20 mil premium above his real worth just because of his name. it's still a lot of money to make the move, but because Barca are looking to offload they won't be seeing as much of it as they ordinarily might.

• Advertisement

Long post as to the situation as to where we are at the moment as regards transfers on the attacking side.

Depending on how the other transfer dealings go in terms of sales (which will be a big factor) we could earn anywhere from £10m to £25m from sales. [the 25m would assume best prices and flogging people like Finnan, Carson, Itandje, Crouch, Guthrie and Hobbs] before adding in whatever is the actual transfer kitty i.e. money from the Yanks. So we could have in the range of
    £20m (min of £10m sales plus £10m kitty) up to a sky high £50m - assumes £25m sales plus £25m transfer kitty - very unlikely though :(

So basically we would appear to have a min £20m with a probably most likely figure in the range of £30m to £35m.

I'm ignoring the goal-keeping and defence situation for the moment.

I'm also making some assumptions - Alonso and Crouch gone, Barry in.

On that basis of this our first choice front six would be something like

Mascherano Barry

Kuyt Gerrard Babel

Torres

with the remaining squad players

Yossi Benayoun
    Jermaine Pennant
    Lucas
    Andriy Voronin

with the following possibilities in terms of making the step up to the first team
    Krisztian Nemeth
    Damien Plessis
    Sebastián Leto (depending on his passport situation - i'm sure this is the main thing keeping out of the first-team squad given he's already played in the Champions League for us; don't know how long this will take to resolve)

Apart from Crouch everyone who leaves would be a defender, goalie or way down the pecking order e.g. Guthrie

While the front six looks impressive, with a lot of ability, there is a definite lack of depth there. A couple of injuries and things could look very iffy. The flexibility of Benayoun and his ability to change a game as a sub means to me it looks very unlikely he will be sold unless it's for silly money e.g. £10m plus.

My main worry is that if Torres got injured (Fowler forbid) - we would then have a choice of keeping the same formation and bringing in Voronin/ Nemeth, or changing the formation putting Babel/Kuyt up front, bringing in Pennant or Benayoun.

The next worry would be an injury to Gerrard - possibly have the option of replacing him with Benayoun or Lucas depending on formation, but this seems to be a less than ideal situation.

On the basis of this the previous interest in Milner makes more sense to me - if viewed as a younger Pennant who can play on both sides type option; but given the apparent Newcastle valuation I don't see it happening.

It would also seem to give the Keane link some credibility - this is in the sense that I can see Liverpool being interested but I cant see Spurs parting with him, given the situation with want-away Berbatov.

Looking at the Downing for £12m link in light of this I'm struggling to understand the logic of it. With Babel, Barry and Benayoun all capable of playing on the left it seems like it should be lower down the list of priorities.

One of the other players we were linked with was Bentley - I like him a lot, but I don't know if he'd fit into our system especially as Blackburn seem to be looking for £15m for him. In an ideal world I'd like to have him on the bench as an alternative to Kuyt but I think we'll probably end up with Pennant/Benayoun as our right-sided bench players.

Clearly a second-striker type would seem to make a lot of sense.
    Given Keane's ability to drop deep and wide and link up play, along with his proven goal threat I can see the logic behind the link. With Keane unlikey and Arshavin and Silva seemingly being out of our price range, I think maybe we ought to consider Van der Vaart (saw somewhere he can leave next season for €1.5m and that he refused to sign a contract extension for Hamburg).

He's able to play in a variety of positions, has a solid goal-scoring record, was club captain and his performances were one of the main reasons Hamburg climbed from the relegation zone into a European place {they fell into the relegation zone when he suffered an injury} I've liked what I've seen of him but my concern would be where exactly he would fit in. However I think this would be true of anyone we bring in.

A cheap price rock bottom option would be Gudjohssen - Saw something that he was available for around £4m (don't know how true) - could well depend on the comings and going at Camp Nou. However he is 30 in September but he does have PL experience, is a decent goal-getter and I could see him fitting in to our slightly un-orthodox system. He has the experience of playing in midfield if all comes to all. If we went for someone in this price range, we would then have funds to spend on a say £10m-£15m level type more orthodox striker. £12m for Martins/Bent on the bench as a cheapsih Torres replacement option maybe?

Another possible value signing could be Javier Saviola - impressive enough record but seems not to be rated at Real Madrid. There must be some story given he has only nine starts in a year for them. Managed to maintain his one in three goal average as well. Still a youngish lad only 26. Possibly available on the very cheap and could be a bargain depending on his attitude.

Any thoughts on any of this?

good post Mori.

i'm not sure a support striker is really necessary though, i'd prioritize both wings ahead of this. both Kuyt and Babel are both a lot better in the centre than on the wings from what i've seen. and then there's Nemeth who really should be given a few games next season by all accounts.

Saviola i think is too slight for he Premiership, tbh i think that's why he barely gets a game in Spain, in the big matches he's too easily muscled out of it. If Van Der Vaart is available he'd be well worth a punt, but i'd still prioritize the wings. Again Gerrard and Benayoun are there in the central attacking midfield role.

Cant see Ronaldinho ending up at Anfield. Don't know where he'll end up though. Could well see him still being at Barcelona next year - cant see many teams taking a chance on him given he's probably on well tasty wages at Barca. I think that Man City link might be true as I could see them meeting Barca's valuation and upping his wages. However I think what probably happened was his agent asked him did he want to go to Manchester for 200k a week and he said sure I'll play alongside Tevez and Rooney for that. :)

E'to seems likelier if he was available on the cheap (saw rumours he had issues with his knees - dont know how true) but once again could see Barca having a high value for him.

Barry for £18m is ridiculous, but just goes to show the over-valuation of English players - I think £12m would be a fair valuation but that's my opinion.
    Fingers crossed we end this saga with our next bid of £15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

The-Rigger wrote: »

Nowhere there does it say that Torres is paying for the sangria. It is implied that the "complimentary" sangria "with your meal" not "All night" as originally posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nowhere there does it say that Torres is paying for the sangria. It is implied that the "complimentary" sangria "with your meal" not "All night" as originally posted.

WTF????

Torres in non paying of Sangria shocker!!

Looks like he has no choice but to leave. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

He got a load of people pissed in Liverpool.

Oh please, read the quoted link. It's clear that the "complimentary sangria with your meal" is being offered by the cafe, not paid for by Torres. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh christ, who f*****g cares who paid for the sangria?

I don't think the people banging on about it are the Liverpool fans here.

Have you got nowhere else you can go and post your drivel, lads?

Ah FFS.Will ya get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Pellegrino coming back ? Don't worry - it would be as a coach this time. It was said during his brief stint with the club that he was far more influential in training than he was on the pitch.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=mauricio-pellegrino-to-be-offered-coaching-role-as-rafa-benitez-eyes-move-for-robbie-keane%26method=full%26objectid=21172413%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

The rest of the article (i.e. about Keane) looks like it's just a rehash of the gossip colums.

actually to the two mancs, it was on RadioCity in Liverpool all day yesterday that Sangria was free and Torres was paying.

Thats good enough for me, if you have a problem with it. i actully couldnt give a ****.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement