Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

R.I.P. "smokin" Joe Fagan. 7 years gone today. A true liverpool great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Liverpool all day yesterday that Sangria was free and Torres was paying.

Blahh! You can knock out gallons of the stuff for penny's.

Cheap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

actually to the two mancs, it was on RadioCity in Liverpool all day yesterday that Sangria was free and Torres was paying.

Thats good enough for me, if you have a problem with it. i actully couldnt give a ****.

And you were listening to RadioCity and heard this? If true, i'd say it broke his heart , what , maybe £500 max ?
    That's my final word on the topic, it's too trivial to bother about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Martin O'Neill has told Gareth Barry: You can have your dream move to Liverpool. But the Aston Villa boss has warned the Reds they will have to pay £18million.

The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Times

I want to put this as nice as possible........go **** yourself O'Neil. I reiterate my disdain that the possible signing of Barry is increasingly being valued higher than Xabi Alonso's.

To the two mancs: get a life and stop trolling/spamming this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Boggles wrote: »
    Blahh! You can knock out gallons of the stuff for penny's.

Cheap!!

Jealous much ?

Nice touch how Dunphy noted the amount of Spanish players playing at top
    clubs like Real, Barca, Villearal, Arsenal and then failed to mention Liverpool
    The man is a tool beyond description

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill has told Gareth Barry: You can have your dream move to Liverpool. But the Aston Villa boss has warned the Reds they will have to pay £18million.

The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Times

I want to put this as nice as possible........go **** yourself O'Neil. I reiterate my disdain that the possible signing of Barry is increasingly being valued higher than Xabi Alonso's.

To the two mancs: get a life and stop trolling/spamming this thread.

In fairness, it's to be expected. English players command a higher price than they're actually "worth". Think any United fans were happy with the amount we paid for Carrick? Think Spurs fans were happy paying that much for Bent?
    It's a fact of life in England, they're overpriced.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    In fairness, it's to be expected. English players command a higher price than they're actually "worth". Think any United fans were happy with the amount we paid for Carrick? Think Spurs fans were happy paying that much for Bent?

Well what ages are Bent and Carrick? There were significant investments in players that had many, many years ahead of them. But I understand what you are saying, I remember West Brom slapping a £12m price tag on Curtis Davies, who only had a decent run at the time and no english caps. It's nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Barry at 15m IS over priced.

I think O'Neill may just be trying to save face a little, wouldnt be suprised to see the deal done for an undisclosed fee (around 15m)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Well what ages are Bent and Carrick? There were significant investments in players that had many, many years ahead of them. But I understand what you are saying, I remember West Brom slapping a £12m price tag on Curtis Davies, who only had a decent run at the time and no english caps. It's nuts.

What age is Barry?

I think o' neill is acting the boll*x a bit alright. Looks like he's just trying to stall the transfer as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

According to the Guardian Robbie Keane might be off to the Reds for £20m with Crouch part of the deal. :eek:

Small bit late there mate, posted 5 times already this morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Barry for 18m:pac:. Think he will sign for 13 million or so with an undisclosed fee to save that **** MON from the fans warth.18 million:rolleyes: On the robbie keane issue.Life long Reds fan and a quality player to boot.Get it done Rafa

What age is Barry?

What age is Barry?

I think o' neill is acting the boll*x a bit alright. Looks like he's just trying to stall the transfer as long as possible.

He's about 28 whereas Bent and Carrick were both 24 when they moved I think.

Born February 23, 1981 which makes him 27

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ah, an outed wolf wraps himself back up in sheep's clothing to participate in some 'reasoned debate'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nowhere there does it say that Torres is paying for the sangria. It is implied that the "complimentary" sangria "with your meal" not "All night" as originally posted.

Are you sure about that..
    courtesy of Torres himself!

FFS, such begrudgery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Barry at 15m IS over priced.

I think O'Neill may just be trying to save face a little, wouldnt be suprised to see the deal done for an undisclosed fee (around 15m)

Disagree. Easily on a par with Hargreaves and Carrick in my opinion.

Both of who were 3years younger at least at the time they were bought.
    :rolleyes:

both were younger and neither as desperate to leave as Barry is. Hargreaves had a lot of CL experience also.

I'd knock 3m off for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Delighted at this Robbie Keane rumour. Not that I rate him that highly but I love having a few Irish players at Liverpool. I also think Robbie would be a great option for us and his game would come on a lot working with Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano (and a fit-again Alonso...)

IMHO the return of Agger is the single most important thing for Liverpool this year. If he comes back as good as he was or better, I'll be very optimistic about this year. If he loses form like Alonso did, our passing game will suffer again.

Also happy today that Reina, Arbeloa, Xabi and Torres are all European champions:-)

oobydooby wrote: »
    Delighted at this Robbie Keane rumour. Not that I rate him that highly but I love having a few Irish players at Liverpool

Ah come on! :(

should we go for Morrison,Doyle,Duff,Hunt etc as well?

If he is good enough, great, but if not then you shouldnt want him there just cause he is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hunt? Yes.

spockety wrote: »
    Ah, an outed wolf wraps himself back up in sheep's clothing to participate in some 'reasoned debate'.

:rolleyes:

DesF wrote: »
    Hunt? Yes.

your obsession is so cute :cool:

at least mine is with someone decent :D

Ah come on! :(

should we go for Morrison,Doyle,Duff,Hunt etc as well?

If he is good enough, great, but if not then you shouldnt want him there just cause he is Irish.

Fair enough, that's not really what I meant but I didn't want to write an essay about it. I think he is good enough, he'd be a very useful option. Better than Crouch IMO, certainly more suited to our team. If he was English I'd think 'okay, not bad but not the star signing I want to see' but being Irish and liking the lad I'd be happy with the signing.

I'd feel the same about Doyle or Duff or McGeady to be honest. Not too sure about the other lads though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

This Keane story has to be bullsh!t with a £20m price tag :eek:
    I'd take him in a straight swap with Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The-Rigger wrote: »
    If he keeps doing his celebration, I'd find it hard to warm to him.

I think you'd start to warm to him if he was doing his celebration in a Liverpool shirt 15-20 times a season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

So what does the latest in the Gareth Barry saga tell us?

That MON is lying yet again.
    My estimation of the guy has dropped so much over his handling of this.

The baseless acusations against both Rafa and Liverpool in general.
    He strikes me as the kind of person who believes his own lies.

This is twice now, from two different ends that his lies have been caught out.
    But I bet you he still thinks that he's done nothing wrong.

I feel for Barry more than anyone.
    He wanted to leave a club that he's served well, with dignity but MON just wouldn't let him.
    GB had to go to the press, which is something he obviously didn't want to do.

I can see a situation now where GB is booed and derided by Villa fans, and all cause of MON's actions.
    GB was/is a great servant for Villa, and he wanted to part on good terms.

Guess that's not gonna happen now.

MON's blamed Rafa, Liverpool, and now I'd say he's going to start complaining about Barry too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why so? Its his job to extract maximum value out of any player sale.

Agreed on ability, but both Carrick and Hargreaves have added value due to their age and the possibility of either extending their stay at ManYoo or being sold on for a fee somewhere near their purchase price.

Liverpool will not recoup anything like what Villa are asking for Barry if he should move on from Anfield.

• Advertisement

Why so? Its his job to extract maximum value out of any player sale.

He has also lied in the media calling Rafa a liar, before back tracking and saying actually Rafa was telling the truth..... plus he accused Liverpool of playing this out in the media when he is the main culprit for this.

I've always like MON but he has gone down in my estimation during this debacle.

I dont hold anything against him for holding out for top dollar, thats his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Transfer values are not a reflection of how good a player is.

Barry is 28. He can't be resold. As such, he should cost less than Carrick and Hargreaves did.
    That said, if you want to buy from a club that is eyeing up your position in the top 4 (realistically MON probably thinks that Liverpool are the weakest of the top 4) you are going to have to pay a premium. Spurs have never recovered imo from losing Carrick. Villa will have a tough time recovering from losing Barry.

Liverpool need to spend 16ish to get what they want. If Rafa thought he could get him for any less he's just silly.
    At some point you just have to accept you're getting ripped off, that's how it works. You identify the player, pay the price, and ignore the fact it cost you 2 mill extra.

---

IMO there's no way this summer Liverpool can get to a level that they could still challenge for the title with Torres or Gerrard getting injuried for an extended period. They have to first get to the level that they will challenge for the title with their top 11, and for that they need 2 new attackers to fix into the front 4 that is developing. United this year risked their entire title run on the fitness of Rooney. Arsenal did it for Fabregas. They are now pushing on from that hopefully, but first you've to get there.
    THinking about what would happen if Torres get injuried is why people buy ****ty not good enough replacements.

PHB wrote: »
    You identify the player, pay the price, and ignore the fact it cost you 2 mill extra.

Thats great, but what happens when you cant afford an extra 2m here and
    an extra 2m there.
    Its called a budget
    IMO there's no way this summer Liverpool can get to a level that they could still challenge for the title with Torres or Gerrard getting injuried for an extended period. They have to first get to the level that they will challenge for the title with their top 11, and for that they need 2 new attackers to fix into the front 4 that is developing. United this year risked their entire title run on the fitness of Rooney. Arsenal did it for Fabregas. They are now pushing on from that hopefully, but first you've to get there.
    THinking about what would happen if Torres get injuried is why people buy ****ty not good enough replacements.

Great, United wouldnt have won the premiership if Ronaldo was injured for an extended period of time.
    Arsenal would struggle badly if Fabregas was injured for an extended period.
    Big clubs and small clubs all struggle when their very best players are injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He has also lied in the media calling Rafa a liar, before back tracking and saying actually Rafa was telling the truth..... plus he accused Liverpool of playing this out in the media when he is the main culprit for this.

I've always like MON but he has gone down in my estimation during this debacle.

Al, the impression I got from pvtkaizer or whatever he used to be called was that he felt Villa holding out for £18m was acting the bollox, I may be wrong.

The other stuff I've not been following so can't really comment.

Villa are losing a real asset in Barry if he goes, I'd want as much £££ as I could squeeze out of the Pool so that I could go about getting in a couple of players to beef up the squad.

PHB wrote: »
    That said, if you want to buy from a club that is eyeing up your position in the top 4 (realistically MON probably thinks that Liverpool are the weakest of the top 4) you are going to have to pay a premium. Spurs have never recovered imo from losing Carrick. Villa will have a tough time recovering from losing Barry.

that's a very good point. While I'm not convinced about Barry strengthening Liverpool's midfield (I'd trust Rafa and Gerrard on it), it certainly weakens a potential rival. Spurs' stagnancy being a very good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Thank you - Euro 2008 hero Fernando Torres pays tribute to Liverpool fans

FERNANDO TORRES paid a stirring tribute today to Liverpool FC and its fans - for helping turn him into a European champion.

The Reds striker scored a stunning winner to sink Germany last night and end Spain’s 44-year wait for a major trophy.

Now he wants to follow up his first major success as a player by helping Liverpool to glory in the coming season.

Torres told the ECHO: “It is a dream come true and now we have a place in European history so it is very special.

“It is my first major title but I hope it will be the first of many because I want to win many more titles with Liverpool and Spain.

“I would like to thank the staff and players at Liverpool for their support during Euro 2008 because it makes a real difference when you know you have the backing of the people of your club and because of this they share in our success.

“I have had a wonderful first season at Anfield and the goals I scored for Liverpool gave me the confidence and belief I needed for the Euros and, again, I would like to thank Rafa and his staff because I have improved as a player thanks to them.

“But it isn’t just the people at the club who have helped me, it is also the supporters and the people of the city.

“From the moment I first came to Liverpool I have been made to feel welcome and that is why I am able to enjoy my football so much.

“It is incredible because the Liverpool fans have given me so much support and I know that they have even been supporting Spain and this is something I will never forget and I thank everyone for that.

“Now I am looking forward to competing for trophies with the Reds because I know that means so much to the club and the fans.”

Torres will be given extra time off to recover from his Euro 2008 exertions, with Liverpool reporting back to pre-season training today. When he does eventually report back to Melwood there could be a number of significant changes.

Former Reds defender Maurico Pellegrino is expected to join the Reds coaching staff during the training camp in Switzerland, with a view to joining the staff permanently.

The Argentinian played 12 games for the Reds in 2005, but endeared himself permanently to some of the younger players at the club when he collected the Champions League losers’ medals discarded by the distraught Milan players in Istanbul and handed them out.

Benitez worked for much of last season without an assistant, following Pako Ayesteran’s defection, but filled that gap with the appointment of Sammy Lee this summer.

He also lost Alex Miller to Japanese club JEF United Chiba, but Pellegrino’s association with Benitez goes back to their glory days together at Valencia.

Anthony Le Tallec, meanwhile, has finally severed his ties with Liverpool after signing for French first division club Le Mans UC72.

The young striker has been on loan from Anfield for the past four season – at St Etienne, Sunderland, Sochaux and Le Mans – but has now formally ended his association with the club.

Pure Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hey, another article for Mr Alan to drool over!

Hey, another article for Mr Alan top drool over!

"top drool over"?

spockety wrote: »

tinhat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Carrick was stupidly over priced though, just because one manager is willing to pay that kind of money for a player like him doesn't mean he's worth it
    DeadSkin wrote: »
    This Keane story has to be bullsh!t with a £20m price tag :eek:
    I'd take him in a straight swap with Crouch.

Ye that couldn't be right, I think Keane would be a decent signing but isn't worth anything near that kind of money, id be very surprised if Rafa would be willing to pay near that for him

Can you explain that please?

colly10 wrote: »
    Carrick was stupidly over priced though, just because one manager is willing to pay that kind of money for a player like him doesn't mean he's worth it

Carrick was bought for 14 million rising to 18 odd depending on what he won.

He won the Prem twice and the Champions League, how can that be over priced?

Carrick was bought for 14 million rising to 18 odd depending on what he won.

He won the Prem twice and the Champions League, how can that be over priced?

Veron won a PL with United, was he not overpriced ? :rolleyes:
    Oh and he was **** before you go and try and defend him, as is carrick
    Carrick is not worth £18m, Barry is not worth that money either.
    End of discussion.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Veron won a PL with United, was he not overpriced ? :rolleyes:

Did he win 2 and a champions league, was he as consistently played as Carrick?

Carrick was bought for 14 million pounds over 2 years ago when Crazy money was been bandied about.

Was he worth it at the time, debatable - Did United get Value. Too féckíng right they did.

Robbed from another site, but thought it quite appropriate.

rv90dd.jpg
    2vaeejb.jpg

• Advertisement

Did he win 2 and a champions league, was he as consistently played as Carrick?

Carrick was bought for 14 million pounds over 2 years ago when Crazy money was been bandied about.

Was he worth it at the time, debatable - Did United get Value. Too féckíng right they did.

Carrick is worth about 8m, anything over that is overpaying.
    He is on about the same level as steve sidwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Robbed from another site, but thought it quite appropriate.

rv90dd.jpg
    2vaeejb.jpg

congrats al, brought the ghey to a whole new level

I like to do my bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You do a lot of peoples bits.

:-/

IrishMike wrote: »
    Carrick is worth about 8m, anything over that is overpaying.
    He is on about the same level as steve sidwell.

Carrick and Sidwell the same level, maybe?

Carrick has known nothing but success since joining United.

Sidwell leaves a successful Reading team, they get relegated.

Is that only 8 million worth, doubt it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement