Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone see Torres on SSN during the spanish celebrations? The reporter asked him for a few words of Liverpool fans, he said thank you. Reporter then asked about winning anything with us next year. He turned, smiled at the camera and said "We will win the Premier League", i love him!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

back the **** away.

;) only messing, saw that too.

check out Reina on the plane on the way home, bit lunatic :)

how come the cabin crew aint like that for me? :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7482325.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would be happy if this was true. Better than the vast majority of players we have been linked with. Seriously doubt Spurs would sell him considering they will most likely lose Berbatov.
    Keane stuns Spurs with transfer demand: Liverpool set to offer Crouch and £5m for striker

By JOHN EDWARDS AND NEIL ASHTON
    Last updated at 10:43 PM on 30th June 2008

Robbie Keane stunned Tottenham by telling them he wants to leave.

Sportsmail can reveal that Republic of Ireland striker Keane delivered his shock transfer demand after learning Liverpool had lodged a player-plus-cash bid for him on Friday.

The 28-year-old came out of a meeting at White Hart Lane having left club officials in little doubt about his eagerness to play for his boyhood idols.

Anfield manager Rafa Benitez sees Keane as the ideal strike partner for Euro 2008 match-winner Fernando Torres and is prepared to part with Peter Crouch and around £5million to make it happen.

As with his pursuit of Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, though, Benitez is going to have to dig deeper after Tottenham rejected his initial offer and placed a £20m valuation on Keane.

Keane's desire to get away from Spurs is a bigger shock. Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard and long-serving centre back Jamie Carragher are both friends of the Irishman, who could be one of three strikers to leave Tottenham should the deal go through.

Spurs manager Juande Ramos knows Dimitar Berbatov is unsettled and he is also exploring ways of offloading Darren Bent. Apart from having to increase the cash adjustment, Benitez may also struggle to talk Crouch into being part of the package as the England striker still wishes to join Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Id love to see Keane at Anfield. He scores goal consistently in the league and would be a great addition to the team. I dont think hes worth 25m though.

Dont think MikeyT's info really deserves the old rolleyes, its not like his info was from a taxi driver, it was directly from a players rep via his father (who i assume he can trust ;) ). Just don't want another Bannor debacle, lost a great poster due to people constantly giving him hassle.

From you article you just posted it seems Mikey was pretty on the ball anyway, id be pretty happy with it really, as i was saying yesterday, he'd do well with Torres in a 4-4-2 and could also do well in a proper 4-3-3 (rather then 4-2-3-1), where he operates just outside of and to the side of the box. Would lack width, but between Gerrard, the fullback and Keane drifting out at various times it could work well. Would be a bit total football, which would be pretty cool if it worked, though could also be a disaster if everyone didn't fit really well together.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dont think MikeyT's info really deserves the old rolleyes, its not like his info was from a taxi driver, it was directly from a players rep via his father (who i assume he can trust ;) ). Just don't want another Bannor debacle, lost a great poster due to people constantly giving him hassle.

From you article you just posted it seems Mikey was pretty on the ball anyway, id be pretty happy with it really, as i was saying yesterday, he'd do well with Torres in a 4-4-2 and could also do well in a proper 4-3-3 (rather then 4-2-3-1), where he operates just outside of and to the side of the box. Would lack width, but between Gerrard, the fullback and Keane drifting out at various times it could work well. Would be a bit total football, which would be pretty cool if it worked, though could also be a disaster if everyone didn't fit really well together.

Ive done a bit of rooting around and this actually seems like it might happen.

Graham Hunter -
    Apparently Rafas interest is very definite and Keane has always told spurs that if liverpool did make a bid that he wanted to be made aware of it. Well today Liverpools interest was confirmed and keane has told Spurs board that he wants to go and has asked that they agree a deal with us.

Also, last month Elisha Scott from ynwa forums was hinting at a player that we were interested in. Hes come out and said that the player is Keane. This guy has pretty much never been wrong about these sort of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Keane would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool imo. Spurs mighnt be as close to the top 4 next season as some people expect if they lose Keane and Berbatov.

Ive done a bit of rooting around and this actually seems like it might happen.

Graham Hunter -

Also, last month Elisha Scott from ynwa forums was hinting at a player that we were interested in. Hes come out and said that the player is Keane. This guy has pretty much never been wrong about these sort of things.

nice! Hopefully Keane pushing for a move will work out smoother and more cost effective then it's turning out with Barry and Villa...

Superman you could be right, all depends on who they bring in to replace them. Crouch is a decent replacement for Berba, and they seem to have no problems shelling out at the moment. Even Bent and Crouch up front looks pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Never been a big fan of Keane. He's matured a bit as he's grown up but he always comes across as a bit of a big time charlie, very smug and full of himself. I know he hasn't had anything like the same discipline issues but he reminds me a bit of Bellamy - that same chip. Storming off subs benches, fighting with teammates, complaining about Irish fans booing the team - not the sort of carry on you want from your players. Surprised to see that he's mates with the likes of Carra - they seem total opposites. Quite apart from my personal dislike I'm not sure how a personality like Keane would fit ino a dressing room that seems quite disciplined and "anti-bling".

Of course if he were signed and worked out I'll be top of the line chanting his name.

*Sigh*

I'm fickle but at least I know it...

Never been a big fan of Keane. He's matured a bit as he's grown up but he always comes across as a bit of a big time charlie, very smug and full of himself. I know he hasn't had anything like the same discipline issues but he reminds me a bit of Bellamy - that same chip. Storming off subs benches, fighting with teammates, complaining about Irish fans booing the team - not the sort of carry on you want from your players. Surprised to see that he's mates with the likes of Carra - they seem total opposites. Quite apart from my personal dislike I'm not sure how a personality like Keane would fit ino a dressing room that seems quite disciplined and "anti-bling".

Of course if he were signed and worked out I'll be top of the line chanting his name.

*Sigh*

I'm fickle but at least I know it...

I have to say that I think youve completely misjudged his character. If he was as you say, theres no way he would be captain of both Spurs & the Irish national team. He strikes me as someone who is very passionate about football and always wants to play...but is also a team player and hard worker. Hes definitely a 'Rafa player'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Doesnt sound like the Robbie Keane I know. :confused: Always came across as abit dim when Ive heard him but dont recall any fights with team mates or anything like that, he is the vice captain at Spurs so he obviously cant be that bad an influence on his fellow players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane has never struck me at all like Bellamy, for me he's always seemed extremely down to earth and imo a bit of a legend.

Keane would be a great buy. 20 million is a ****load however for a player of 28 with no resale value.

I have to say that I think youve completely misjudged his character. If he was as you say, theres no way he would be captain of both Spurs & the Irish national team. He strikes me as someone who is very passionate about football and always wants to play...but is also a team player and hard worker. Hes definitely a 'Rafa player'.

He's defenitly a grafter and he seems popular with his teammates (unlike Bellamy!) but didn't he have a fistfight with Edgar Davids?

I hope you're right though

Torres

Babel----Gerrard----Keane

Barry--Masch

or

Torres

Babel
    Keane----Gerrard

Barry--Masch

or

Torres--Keane

Barry--Masch--Gerrard--Babel

or

Torres--Keane

Babel--Masch--Barry--Gerrard

or

Torres--Keane

Barry
    Gerrard
    Babel

Mascherano

just did a google check on the davids keane fight - sounds like the same kind of thing that i've seen at every team i've ever played with. Always happens when the adrenaline is pumping and someone makes a rash tackle in training (probably safe to say that was davids). These things are always water under the bridge within 10mins.

robbybig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Who are the two black men?

Who are the two black men?

Robbie Keanes sons.

he might one day surpass Anelkas record combined transfer fees at this rate
    has already ratted up 38million gbp in fees.

although anelkas record wont be a record at that stage for sure to be sure surely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so Liverpool's wanted list of players this season is wing backs and Gerrard & Carraghers mates then (Barry + Keane)

he might one day surpass Anelkas record combined transfer fees at this rate
    has already ratted up 38million gbp in fees.

although anelkas record wont be a record at that stage for sure to be sure surely.

No chance. Anelka is on 85m at the moment and I doubt he will finish his career at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

yeah your right, sorry.

Worth noting

Keane - Ireland & Spurs captain
    Barry - Aston Villa captain
    Torres - A.Madrid captain
    Kuyt - Feyenoord captain
    Benayoun - Israeli captain
    Lucas - Under 21 Brazil captain

Simao - former Benfica captain (Rafa put in a few bids for him)

Am I missing any ?

Rafa obviously likes leaders.

hyppia is second choice captain of finland? (has played as captain)

hyppia is second choice captain of finland? (has played as captain)

Rafa didn't sign hyypia though.

Lucas is another one.

yeah your right i misunderstood what the list entailed, sorry again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Worth noting

Keane - Ireland & Spurs captain
    Barry - Aston Villa captain
    Torres - A.Madrid captain
    Kuyt - Feyenoord captain
    Benayoun - Israeli captain

Simao - former Benfica captain (Rafa put in a few bids for him)

Am I missing any ?

Rafa obviously likes leaders.

This was actually discussed last summer as well. Defo a pattern there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Maybe Lyon's Juninho too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

do we know who the lads in the pic are yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd take Keane in a heartbeat. Himself and Torres up front would be a great partnership. Keano can also play deeper (as he now does for Ireland, according to Trap), so he also offers options.

One thing that annoys me a little is people complaining about the big fees being bandied about for Keano and Barry, as they have no resale value due to their age.

If Liverpool want to win the league, or be close, then they need to buy players who are at their peak, who are ready now to step into the side and mount a challenge. There's no point in going out and spending the same on the likes of Nasri or Modric, because it will take them a season or two to adjust to the demands of Premiership football.

I'd be delighted if Rafa spent his budget on Dossena, Barry and Keano this summer. Much more so than if he went out and bought Dos Santos, Capel and Ben Afra. Players like those, for all their talents, are not going to see us close the gap next season. Seasoned professionals like Keane and Barry just might.

Another thought occured to me: Spurs were rumoured last week to be in for both Crouch & Benayoun. Could a straight swap be on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Ok I am way too lazy to look back over the thread, and I dont want to start back on the Gareth Barry Vs all of Man Utd recent purchases arguements. But does I think Deco moving to Chelsea for £8m (obviously not the same player and probably a colossal wage too) really puts the £18-20m for Gareth Barry in perspective. There has to be a cheaper alternative to what we want out there.

I think Keane would be a decent addition to the team, honestly I never thought of him playing for Liverpool before yesterday, but his record in the Premiership is excellent, if he was available at the right price I think he would be a good addition, while also weakening Spurs hand slightly (I think Keane would score more than Crouch if they switch teams!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

What we have to remember is that Rafa is trying to win the Prem. Bringing in players like Keane and Barry is almost certainly gonna bring us closer to that goal. These guys are proven in the premiership for years. We have a few players who can win a game out of nothing (something we've lacked for a long time) Stevie, Torres and Babel. We now need players who can control the game and also give us some better penetration (teehee), Barry and Keane fit the bill imo. If we pay 35 odd million for the pair I think it would be far from the worst business we've done. I'd rather pay 15mil for Barry than 20m on a guy like De Rossi who may or may not adjust to the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

According to Robbie Fowler's book, Robbie Keane turned down a move to Liverpool previously. So a bit surprised he's getting a 2nd chance. But I can see how somenone might think he'd link up well with Torres. I do believe Keane is better than any other alternative we currently have, and he should settle straight away, just a pity he's not a couple of years younger.

I still can't convince myself that Barry is better than Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I remember Houiller was quoted as being an admirer of Keane's before he'd even left Wolves. He was a midfielder in those days as I recall.

My reservations about Keane are based around his performances for Ireland as I don't tend to watch full Spurs games :). I think it's fair to say that he tries to do far too much when playing for Ireland generally to the detriment of his own performance. If that's a case of big fish in small pond syndrome then hopefully that won't apply at Liverpool.

He will offer a lot of hard work for the team and as Tusky pointed out, he can play in a few different positions.

If the fee was Crouch + £5 million, I for one would be satisfied. Given that Berbatov seems perpetually on his way out of the club and they have already sold Defoe, I would be a little surprised if Spurs let their captain go. I imagine Luka Modric wouldn't be too pleased for example :).
    Tusky wrote:
    Am I missing any ?
    From players that have moved on, how about Bellamy and Pellegrino?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

malice_ wrote: »
    My reservations about Keane are based around his performances for Ireland as I don't tend to watch full Spurs games :).

Honestly he is a completely different player for Spurs.
    Direct, full of energy, scores goals and creates a lot of chances for Berbatov
    with his passing and movement.
    Would be a brilliant foil for Torres IMHO, plus he would provide top class cover
    should the unthinkable happen and Torres was to get injured.
    Only thing im worried about is what happens if Gerrard got injured?
    Is lucas up to filling his boots? I certainly dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gucci wrote: »
    Ok I am way too lazy to look back over the thread, and I dont want to start back on the Gareth Barry Vs all of Man Utd recent purchases arguements. But does I think Deco moving to Chelsea for £8m (obviously not the same player and probably a colossal wage too) really puts the £18-20m for Gareth Barry in perspective.

To put it into perspective,

Deco is nearly 31 and unwanted by his club. Barry is 27, and captain of a Club who wants to keep him.
    There has to be a cheaper alternative to what we want out there.

Same arguement with the fuel crisis, at the end of the day thou you will have to pay the price for petrol. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Don't suppose there's any way Ramos would accept Kuyt in a cash-plus-player deal, so as we could keep Crouch as well.

Boggles wrote: »

Deco is nearly 31 and unwanted by his club. Barry is 27, and captain of a Club who wants to keep him.

Deco is a world class and has won almost every honor in the game.
    He is also 10x the player barry is.
    A better comparison is Lampards proposed £7m move to Inter.
    His club dont want to lose him, he is a 20 goals a season man and he is
    english, work out if you will how barry is worth 2.5 times what he is.

Same arguement with the fuel crisis, at the end of the day thou you will have to pay the price for petrol. :D

Insightful as always :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Deco is 31 and a consistent performing international for 5 years. Gareth Barry is breaking into the England team despite there being a media hype about the lack of decent English left sided players for last few years.

Deco was probably Portugals best performer in Euros, if England were there and Barry was the best performer his price would probably be £25m.

Deco was unwanted by his club, but if you were to believe speculation he was wanted by more than one club, where as we seem to be the only ones in for Garth Barry.
    There are alternatives to petrol, just like there are alternatives to G Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Personally I prefer that Keane stays at Tottenham where he is virtually a confirmed starter each game where as at Liverpool, it wouldn't be the same and in my eyes, it would be Ireland that suffers if that's the case although saying that, you have the robotic stick insect Crouch who lives on the bench and has scored a lot for England but then again, England do have a lot of quality players who can pass the ball for RoboCrouch to score.

I just wouldn't want to see Keane who is good at what he does for Tottenham ending up on the Liverpool bench and then being expected to score a plenty for Ireland when he is selected.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Deco is a world class and has won almost every honor in the game.

Yes 3 seasons ago, so has Henry doesn't make up for the fact that he is nearly 31.
    He is also 10x the player barry is.

A better comparison is Lampards proposed £7m move to Inter.
    His club dont want to lose him, he is a 20 goals a season man and he is
    english, work out if you will how barry is worth 2.5 times what he is.

I have already stated on another thread that I think Lampard is under valued, he is 30 thou and very little left on his contract.
    Insightful as always :rolleyes:

Careful.

There are alternatives to petrol, just like there are alternatives to G Barry.

Who have you in mind?

• Advertisement

Yes 3 seasons ago, so has Henry doesn't make up for the fact that he is nearly 31.

He is 30, is world class and has been for years.
    He was excellent again in the euros in case you didnt see the games.
    I have already stated on another thread that I think Lampard is under valued, he is 30 thou and very little left on his contract.

£15m for a 20+ a season midfielder is undervalued
    Careful.

Careful?
    Your posts in this thread at all times are border line trolling as has been
    pointed out to you many times by regular posters and mods.
    Im afraid it is you walking the line and should heed your own advice.

He is 30, is world class and has been for years.
    He was excellent again in the euros in case you didnt see the games.

He will be 31 when the season starts. Never doubted he is an excellent player, not the same player as 3 season ago thou.
    £15m for a 20+ a season midfielder is undervalued

What are you talking about, there is reports Lampard will go for 7-8 million.
    Careful?
    Your posts in this thread at all times are border line trolling as has been
    pointed out to you many times by regular posters and mods.
    Im afraid it is you walking the line and should heed your own advice.

And here we go again...

They should fit swings and a roundabout in here, it's getting more and more like a playground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lampard is in the last year of his contract which is why there are talks of this amount.
    He also has the option to buy himself out of his own contract which would work out even less than this.

Yes and im saying for a player like him even with 1 year left on his contract is worth 15m
    If crouch is worth 10m with 1 year left then lampard should be worth a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The Daily Star-Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is so keen to land Spain striker Fernando Torres that he would offer as much as £85million for the player, should Liverpool be interested in a sale.

These stories crack me up, yesterday it was Adebayor and now today it's Torres. The rags are so hit and hope that they are bound to get at least one thing right and be able to say "as exclusively told by [insert ****ty rag here....]".

The Daily Mail-Robbie Keane has stunned Tottenham by requesting a transfer after learning of a bid from Liverpool.

The Sun-Tottenham striker Robbie Keane wants to join Liverpool in a £5million deal with Peter Crouch moving in the opposite direction

After seeing Robbie Keane talking to Pat Kenny I know he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I don't think even he'd be dumb enough to hand in a transfer request based on a story in the, wait for it, News of the World:D

Yes and im saying for a player like him even with 1 year left on his contract is worth 15m
    If crouch is worth 10m with 1 year left then lampard should be worth a lot more

Crouch and Barry are 27

Lampard and Deco are 30, Deco almost 31.

In 2011 Crouch and Barry will still be younger than them 2 now, age is a factor along with contract length, players values are affected greatly by a players age..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As someone else here has already pointed out, resale value isn't really relevant.

It's commonly accepted that a player peaks at 27/28. Buying a player at their peak from another club is gonna cost you the most. Assuming you stick them on a 4 or 5 year contract, then yes, their resale value should be assumed to be nil. But at the end of the day, the real market is not in players, it's in trophies. Players are the currency.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    After seeing Robbie Keane talking to Pat Kenny I know he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I don't think even he'd be dumb enough to hand in a transfer request based on a story in the, wait for it, News of the World:D

You can't really believe that Robbie Keane only found out about the bid from Liverpool when he read it in the papers..?

There's no way Liverpool would have put in a bid (assuming they did), unless they had it on good authority that Keane would be open to the move..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

spockety wrote: »
    You can't really believe that Robbie Keane only found out about the bid from Liverpool when he read it in the papers..?

There's only way Liverpool would have put in a bid (assuming they did), unless they had it on good authority that Keane would be open to the move..

That's what I am saying though, I don't even think (and all I can do is guees) that we put in a bid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement