Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Keane has won the fans player of the year at every club he has been at bar Inter, thats not a bad record, shows you how hard he works on the pitch etc... i would be verry happy with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm not disputing that, he's a great player and if the Sun is to be believed a £5m plus Crouch deal would be good business for us. I'm just not putting much into any of it in this early stage where there are no direct quotes from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not a good morning for Spurs fans, everyone of there strikers linked with moves.

Keane - Liverpool
    Berbatov - United
    Bent - Sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    if the Sun is to be believed

in a Liverpool thread.

Nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

DesF wrote: »
    in a Liverpool thread.

Nice.

Better to educate than lambast .. i'd say a majority of Liverpool supporters world wide would not know what you're talking about .. spread the word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#The_Sun_newspaper_controversy

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The amount of times it has been mentioned here, im sure the majority of liverpool fans on this board know what its about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

any Liverpool fan over the age of 13 who does not know about it should be ashamed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

After seeing Robbie Keane talking to Pat Kenny I know he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer
    And Robbie's none too bright either ;)
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    any Liverpool fan over the age of 13 who does not know about it should be educated tbh.
    fixed that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Tusky wrote: »
    Worth noting

Keane - Ireland & Spurs captain
    Barry - Aston Villa captain
    Torres - A.Madrid captain
    Kuyt - Feyenoord captain
    Benayoun - Israeli captain
    Lucas - Under 21 Brazil captain

Simao - former Benfica captain (Rafa put in a few bids for him)

Am I missing any ?

Rafa obviously likes leaders.

whilst its an interesting point, keane is vice captain of spurs.

and regarding Deco going for so cheap, i think its because Barcelona wanted him gone as soon as possible

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    fixed that for you

i agree about the education, but it should be more of an old school education, ie: a quick clip around the ear before the lesson begins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Degen, Dossena and being linked with Barry and Robbie Keane. Really gunning for that 4th spot again this year.

Did Benitez not learn from Torres signing last year, and splash the cash on some real quality ?

Keane will be about 15-20 million, barry about 13-18 million, dossena was LB of the year in Italy.... wat more do you want from him?

Villa? who ballague says will go for about 45m euros?

go and ****e, Keane and Barry would be excellent purchases, both proven PL excellent players who will immediately make us better if they maintain the standards they showed with weak/weaker teams, if they improve (players do that you know!) skies the limit imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

raido9 wrote: »
    Degen, Dossena and being linked with Barry and Robbie Keane. Really gunning for that 4th spot again this year.

Did Benitez not learn from Torres signing last year, and splash the cash on some real quality ?

The money isnt there to spend apparently.

spockety wrote: »
    Better to educate than lambast .. i'd say a majority of Liverpool supporters world wide would not know what you're talking about .. spread the word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster#The_Sun_newspaper_controversy

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm

Don't patronise me, I am well aware of our club's history and it's stance against The Sun. If you must know, I read all the paper talk on teamtalk.com, I do not buy the Sun neither do I have anytime for it.

Pushing close to 20M for Barry apparantly, and 25M part transfer deal for Keane, if you believe the figures.
    Granted they are going to be slightly exaggerated but its still alot of money.

How much money do Liverpool need, they consistantly outspend everyone in the league (bar Abramovich's Chelsea) and still complain about not having the funds?

• Advertisement

Don't patronise me, I am well aware of our club's history and it's stance against The Sun. If you must know, I read all the paper talk on teamtalk.com, I do not buy the Sun neither do I have anytime for it.

I was actually defending you.

Pushing close to 20M for Barry apparantly, and 25M part transfer deal for Keane, if you believe the figures.

How much money do Liverpool need, they consistantly outspend everyone in the league (bar Abramovich's Chelsea) and still complain about not having the funds?

Oh. God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I think that the age of the internet means that anyone other than the most casual of folowers knows about the boycott.

Raido :confused: in one post you say he should spend and get quality in the next you say he's spending heavily and always has?

I was actually defending you.

Sorry but when I saw a row of posts lambasting me for something that was innocent I was simply shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Back up your 'consistently outspending' claim

• Advertisement

Care to show how we outspent United?

20m for Gareth Barry is a complete joke, far better players playing on the continent for half the price.

10m + Crouch IMO would be a great bit of business.

Melion wrote: »
    20m for Gareth Barry is a complete joke, far better players playing on the continent for half the price.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, lets avoid a transfer budget discussion. We've had it like 50 billion times. If you want to talk about it, start a seperate thread.

The change in currency rates will no doubt mean that its cheaper to buy English players when you take into account the change. If Liverpool got that full back, Keane, Barry and then added a world class winger, they'd have had a very very good summer. They would then have imo a front 4 in a first 11 who are capable of challenging for the league,

I think that the age of the internet means that anyone other than the most casual of folowers knows about the boycott.

Raido :confused: in one post you say he should spend and get quality in the next you say he's spending heavily and always has?
    I think he should be buying players that will push him to title winning level, thats what ye want at the end of the day. Are Keane and Barry the players to do this, I don't think so but thats only an opinion.

Benitez has spent heavily, but its been spread out on many average players. The squad is good enough now, he should be improving the first team. Barry is an improvement but the step is not big enough. Going backwards signing Keane imo.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Back up your 'consistently outspending' claim
    Not the most reliable source, but looks relatively accurate.
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

I think he should be buying players that will push him to title winning level, thats what ye want at the end of the day. Are Keane and Barry the players to do this, I don't think so but thats only an opinion.

Benitez has spent heavily, but its been spread out on many average players. The squad is good enough now, he should be improving the first team. Barry is an improvement but the step is not big enough. Going backwards signing Keane imo.

Was Carrick considered title winning level when he signed for United?

Was Carrick considered title winning level when he signed for United?

No, I still don't think he is.

And just to show how inaccurate that site you posted is. It says Torres cost us £26.5m

No, I still don't think he is.

2 Premier Leagues and a Champions League since he signed shows that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

keane is a backward step on who? what other link style forward do we have?

keane would be a great signing, premiership proven, always gets goals and has improved immeasurably over the past 3 seasons

and your comparison on spending is innaccurate

fergie added 4 players to his title winning side last season at a cost of €55m liverpool added 10 at a similar cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keane will be about 15-20 million, barry about 13-18 million, dossena was LB of the year in Italy.... wat more do you want from him?

Villa? who ballague says will go for about 45m euros?

go and ****e, Keane and Barry would be excellent purchases, both proven PL excellent players who will immediately make us better if they maintain the standards they showed with weak/weaker teams, if they improve (players do that you know!) skies the limit imo.

You keep saying that Dossena was left back of the year in Italy. Where are you getting it from ? Its not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Care to show how we outspent United?

10m + Crouch IMO would be a great bit of business.

There may be better players on the continent but Barry has proven he is capable of being a superb player in the premiership which is worth a lot imo.

And just to show how inaccurate that site you posted is. It says Torres cost us £26.5m

and Luis Garcia went for free as part of that deal... pretty sure it disnt work out that way..

I'd like to know who these players on the continent are that are readily available for 8 million? And are infinately better than Barry?

Deco is gone to Chelsea and Lampard won't join Liverpool I'd say.

Boggles wrote: »
    I'd like to know who these players on the continent are that are readily available for 8 million? And are infinately better than Barry?

Deco is gone to Chelsea and Lampard won't join Liverpool I'd say.

well thankfully Gareth Barry isnt an attacking midfielder so we wouldnt be looking at those players.

well thankfully Gareth Barry isnt an attacking midfielder so we wouldnt be looking at those players.

Barry is a versatile player, something that makes him even more appealing. He can play defence, midfield, and yes on more than one occasion an advance left sided attacker.

I think Senna could have been got for less than £15m before the euros.

Juninho, Frings, Seedorf, Albelda, Stankovic. Thats off the top of my head, or just be smart and keep Xabi Alonso

How much did he actually cost?
    Link please?
    He didn't make the difference, Improvements to our defence in my opinion made the difference (Van Der Sar, Evra, Vidic)
    Cyrus wrote: »
    keane is a backward step on who? what other link style forward do we have?

keane would be a great signing, premiership proven, always gets goals and has improved immeasurably over the past 3 seasons

and your comparison on spending is innaccurate

fergie added 4 players to his title winning side last season at a cost of €55m liverpool added 10 at a similar cost
    He wont do a better job than Gerrard last year.
    As I said its just opinion wrt Keane, I just know I wouldn't be happy if he was joining the club I follow.

Barry is a versatile player, something that makes him even more appealing. He can play defence, midfield, and yes on more than one occasion an advance left sided attacker.

yes and neither Deco nor Lampard are left winfers, or defensive midfielders or left backs. they both play in an attacking midfielder role like Gerrard. we dont need that position, if we decided not to buy Barry why would we look at Lampard or Deco, both of whom i would never want at this club.

why are you still here Boggles, no one appreciates or wants your contributions and you just get people angry....

why are you still here Boggles, no one appreciates or wants your contributions and you just get people angry....

Grow Up. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Grow Up. :rolleyes:

good response :rolleyes: your arguments make no sense what so ever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

A quick check on that site shows that it's wildly inaccurate/skewed. It shows Tevez' price as £10Million? It also lists Torres as £26.5 Million and justifies this as £20 million + Garcia, but then lists Garcia's sale price as £0?

Just correcting these two means that Utd spent more net than we did since 04/05, not the other way round.

Also they list Paletta's sale value as £0, because the fee was never disclosed. Surely it would be more accurate to make an assumption based on his current value at the time - probably around the £2million we paid for him, maybe more given his youth and potential.

Not the most reliable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I think Senna 32 in a few days could have been got for less than £15m before the euros.

Juninho 33, Frings 32, Seedorf 32, Albelda 31(almost), Stankovic 30(almost). Thats off the top of my head, or just be smart and keep Xabi Alonso

Wanna try again?!!!
    Gareth Barry is a much better option than any of the above.

A quick check on that site shows that it's wildly inaccurate/skewed. It shows Tevez' price as £10Million? It also lists Torres as £26.5 Million and justifies this as £20 million + Garcia, but then lists Garcia's sale price as £0?

Just correcting these two means that Utd spent more net than we did since 04/05, not the other way round.

Also they list Paletta's sale value as £0, because the fee was never disclosed. Surely it would be more accurate to make an assumption based on his current value at the time - probably around the £2million we paid for him, maybe more given his youth and potential.

Not the most reliable indeed.
    Why how much did Utd pay for Tevez?
    Link please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Who?

Am still intrigued by this myself.

Would also like to know who could stop in immediately without requiring 6 to 12 months to settle in.

Link please?

No idea but can you prove it's 10m? Stupid post!

• Advertisement

Am still intrigued by this myself.

Would also like to know who could stop in immediately without requiring 6 to 12 months to settle in.

That's the key. Not being required to settle would be huge. We need to start well and if we bring in 3-4 foreign players it's unlikely to happen. For every Torres there's a Veron (not a bash on United just we haven't had many big money foreign signings) afterall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Link please?

It's technically true but misleading to say Tevez cost £10 Million. That is all Utd have paid so far, but he is still on loan. They will have to pay at least another £10 million (up to another £20 million according to reports at the time of the loan deal) to keep him.

link
    (the conservative valuation is manc propaganda :D )

With the way Utd in particular structure their deals in terms of amount up front plus additional clauses it makes it hard to judge just how much their players cost. I'm sure they have had to cough up a lot of extra cash this season after winning the Prem and CL because of these clauses.

Wanna try again?!!!
    Gareth Barry is a much better option than any of the above.

Because he's younger?

I was asked who I thought would be a better option than Barry.

Because he's younger?

I was asked who I thought would be a better option than Barry.

But none of them are better options, and it's not just the age. Most of them are defensive midfielders. A position well covered by Mach and Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

If you put 10 of the world 11 in a side with Salif Diao they'd win the prem, that doesn't make him title winning standard. Just because a player is in a side that wins things does not make him a great player

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement