Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    He is what 28 next week or something, we could get a younger player from some far away land for cheaper.

could ye name him there please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Seriously if Rafa buys Keane the tiny shread of respect I have for Rafa will be gone.

this has got to be a pisstake??:eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rosboy wrote: »
    Robbie Keane's goalscoring record:

League
    FA Cup
    League Cup
    Europe
    Total
    Season -Games--Goals--Games--Goals--Games--Goals--Games--Goals--Games--Goals
    07-08----36
    06-07----27
    05-06----36
    04-05----35
    03-02----34
    02-03----29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane#Career_stats

fair fcks to ya, thats some typing! The only thing with that though is that it counts all sub appearances as Games, which distorts the figures a little against robbie, since most sub appearances are less then 30mins. Of those listed, 49 were appearances from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

event wrote: »
    could ye name him there please?

well to be fair he's right, we could get lots of younger cheaper players from abroad. But the question is, are they as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Maybe I missed the point that you were trying to make but I certainly understood exactly what you did say.

"better off spending the £18 million on areas that need more addressing"
    Apologies for the confusion. Still doesnt detract from the point that I feel an inform Alonso is a better player than Barry and Liverpool would be better off dropping the Barry interest and focus whatever transfer funds they have available on less strong areas of the team than centre midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    fair fcks to ya, thats some typing! The only thing with that though is that it counts all sub appearances as Games, which distorts the figures a little against robbie, since most sub appearances are less then 30mins. Of those listed, 49 were appearances from the bench.

....just an example of how anal I am:)

I agree with you on the start vs substitute arguement. A more accurate measure would be min played. I know for 07-08 that would be 2714min for the league. That equates to 1 goal every 180min. I don't have that info for other seasons/competitions

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    well to be fair he's right, we could get lots of younger cheaper players from abroad. But the question is, are they as good.

:)

well obviously, but i assume he means someone who is better, otherwise why would he bother to say it?

and id like to see players who are available and realistic transfers fees, not one he just pulls out of his ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I've never seen it on here. Its a video of Torres playing for Athletico Madrid at an under 12's tournament in Milan. I love his tackle at the 1 minute mark when the oposition player gets the better of him:p

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/videos-pictures/videos/liverpool-fc-videos/2008/07/01/brilliant-footage-of-liverpool-and-spain-star-fernando-torres-in-action-for-atletico-madrid-juniors-100252-21207387/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Surely anyone who thinks Robbie Keane wouldnt be an excellent addition to our ranks needs to think again.The lad is a consistent scorer in the league and thats playing for teams of average to poor quality.Id think and always have thought that he would flourish at the highest level and to see him in a Liverpool shirt will be brilliant.To those who think he's a poor mans Villa fair enough but look at the scoring and assits records of both and you will see that there isnt much in it between them,also villa has being playing for a team of far better quality than Robbie.Anyways if and when he does sign (fingers crossed) then time will tell if he turns out to be a liverpool great and Rafa knows best :)

• Advertisement

Do people want us to buy Robbie Keane? I find it embarrasing that we are even associated with him. Keane and Torres upfront dosn't sound good at all. It would cost us about 10 mil maybe 8 to get him that money could be so easily be spent on some that can actually kick a ball. Seriously if Rafa buys Keane the tiny shread of respect I have for Rafa will be gone.

Who should we sign instead? Also you say you have only a tiny shread of respect for Rafa....how come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

zing wrote: »

Interesting that they only deny Keane handing in a transfer request, but no that Liverpool made a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think you'd start to warm to him if he was doing his celebration in a Liverpool shirt 15-20 times a season :p

I'd warm to him more if he wasn't doing it, especially when he shook off his Ireland team mates to do a sh1te forward roll and wag his finger at the camera during the 2002 World Cup (v Iran??).
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    nail.the.****ing.head.the.on.hit.
    IrishMike wrote: »
    To quote Mr Alan Nail.hit.on.the.head

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has anyone got any stats that show the average number of goals conceeded with Agger in the team and goals conceeded when not in the team?

Has anyone got any stats that show the average number of goals conceeded with Agger in the team and goals conceeded when not in the team?

We have never conceded a goal while Agger was in the team. I dont even think we have lost possession while he was in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

With regards Rafa I have never liked him if I am honest, but he is too inconsistent he is finally starting to play the same team after 4 seasons of people telling him. Just look at thte amount of tosh he has bought that have done nothing for the club and their is only about 5-6 that will be at the club next season.

As for Robbie Keane I think we could sign Stevan Jovetić, Macauley Chrisantus or even Arda Turan all would cost less than Keane and much younger. TBH though at the moment I can't think of many off the top of my head. I just think it would be such a mistake to sign Keane, I would love to be proved wrong though if he does though.

With regards Rafa I have never liked him if I am honest, but he is too inconsistent he is finally starting to play the same team after 4 seasons of people telling him. Just look at thte amount of tosh he has bought that have done nothing for the club and their is only about 5-6 that will be at the club next season.

As for Robbie Keane I think we could sign Stevan Jovetić, Macauley Chrisantus or even Arda Turan all would cost less than Keane and much younger. TBH though at the moment I can't think of many off the top of my head. I just think it would be such a mistake to sign Keane, I would love to be proved wrong though if he does though.

What a post! Excellent stuff.

I agree with you about Keane - why on earth would we want one of the most consistent goal scorers in the premier league playing for us ? Ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Thanks for agreeing with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Tusky wrote: »
    What a post! Excellent stuff.

I agree with you about Keane - why on earth would we want one of the most consistent goal scorers in the premier league playing for us ? Ludicrous.

yep someone who will get us 15 goals a season and can play behind torres and unlock defenses or be our cf if torres were to get injured would be of no use whatsoever :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We're much better off taking risks on expensive young foreign imports who've never kicked a ball in the Premiership and have no record of goal-scoring at the highest level. In a couple of years, there is a chance that they might even begin to approach Keane's scoring ratio.

• Advertisement

We're much better off taking risks on expensive young foreign imports who've never kicked a ball in the Premiership and have no record of goal-scoring at the highest level. In a couple of years, there is a chance that they might even begin to approach Keane's scoring ratio.

no you are talking, preferably south americans who may or may not adjust to the premiership game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Come to mention it, I hear Boca Juniors have a 12 year old in their youth team who is destroying the Argentinian under-13s league. He's so developed he even trains with the under-15s, and he won the best player at the Evening Herald Beunos Aires mini-league last year. His mammy reckons he's the next Maradona, and I saw a video on youtube where he did 100 keepy-uppies in a row. His release clause is only 20 million too, so we should move in before Barcelona or Milan snap him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Dunno if im happy or sad about this
    Juventus are ready to raise their offer to £16.5m for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso after missing out on Roma's Alberto Aquilani. (Daily Mail)
    Liverpool have launched a new bid of £17m for Gareth Barry and told Aston Villa that it is to be their final offer. (The Sun)

reganio2-stop playing Football Manager. And have a bit of respect for the man who won us our 5th CL and made us a force in Europe again-giving the fans some of the best days/nights of our lives, and brought us quality quality players like Torres,Agger,Alonso,Mascherano and Reina please.

havent seen it mentioned here, but our pre-season friendly against Tranmere is on Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Are you aware that since Houllier left he has essentially rebuilt the entire first team squad bar Carragher, Gerrard, Finnan and Hyypia? The amount of tosh that he has bought has won the Champions League, finished runner up in the Champions League and finished with a points total good enough to win the Premier League on numerous occasions previously. Just for good measure the tosh also added an FA Cup and a European Super Cup into the mix.

As for only 5-6 being at the club next season, what kind of rubbish is that?

Seriously, I despair at posts like the above sometimes. Are the schools due back any time soon? maybe the quality of discussion will improve in this thread then :).

malice_ wrote: »
    Are the schools due back any time soon? maybe the quality of discussion will improve in this thread then :).

i really wish they were :(

there has actually been a noticable increase in the amount of childish ****e going on since they quit for the summer.

And Reganio:
    Reina
    Arbeloa
    Agger
    Skrtl
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Kuyt
    Torres
    Benayoun

are all excellent purchases by rafa that will still be hovering around our starting 11 next year. as well as the likes of Insua,Plessis and Nemeth who may make the step up to the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I see young Anderson penned a new 3 year deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Good move for him for the year too

Melion wrote: »
    Good move for him for the year too
    I wonder why he didn't go to Swansea rather than Forest? From that BBC article, they were both promoted to the Championship so they are in the sme division. Would wages have been that much of a factor?

Either way I hope the step up a division does him some good. If he gets plenty of games I'm sure Rafa and co. will have a better idea of whether he can make it in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Some reports said Forest were offering three times as much for his services as Swansea were. If so the decision may not have been entirely his.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I see young Anderson penned a new 3 year deal.

Yeah.Seen him play whilst at a youths tournament in France few years back and he looked even then like a good prospect.Hopefully he can have a great year with Forest and then step it up with us next season

On the subject of players goin' out on loan, how did Hobbs feature for Scunthorpe. Is he stayin' there on loan?

Well Jovetic signed for fiorentina in May, but i gues football manager still has him at Partizan, eh?

Macauley Chrisantus signed for HSV in October/November and has yet to make a first team appearance.

Arda Turan is a winger

So they are the players you want to sign instead of keane?

amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Is it really necessary lads to dismiss someone "as a child" and to tell him he plays too much Football Manager just because you disagree with his opinion?

Anyway back on topic, according to the papers Liverpool have made a final take-it-or-leave-it offer of £17m for Gareth Barry. I will be happy if it is accepted but I will be just as happy if they reject it and Rafa sticks the proverbial middle finger up at MON and leave him in the lurch with an unhappy captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hard to see any way back for Barry at Villa now, it's gone to far and I can't see how it's possible for Villa to say no. After all it's not like anyone else is knocking down teh door to pay more than us.

Hard to see any way back for Barry at Villa now, it's gone to far and I can't see how it's possible for Villa to say no. After all it's not like anyone else is knocking down teh door to pay more than us.

Agreed. I'm watching Sky Sports News right now and they just said that the bid is £15m plus add-ons so it doesn't seem like there is any exchange players involved.

Echo denies the increased bid. Link in the Barry thread.

Hard to know what that means, the Villa fans and MON certainly take it as gospel though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is Carson still a Liverpool player?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Is it really necessary lads to dismiss someone "as a child" and to tell him he plays too much Football Manager just because you disagree with his opinion?
    Assuming that's directed at me, yes it is necessary when the person posts rubbish like this re Benitez:
    he is too inconsistent he is finally starting to play the same team after 4 seasons of people telling him. Just look at thte amount of tosh he has bought that have done nothing for the club and their is only about 5-6 that will be at the club next season

I post in this thread to discuss topics such as young players coming through, transfer targets, expectations for the season (adjusted depending on results :) ) etc. I don't come here to wade through rubbish like that above.

On the subject of the Barry deal it will be interesting to see what happens because as I understand it, Alonso is on holidays and refusing to discuss his future until his return so I would have thought the Barry deal can't go through until then.

• Advertisement

Assuming that's directed at me, yes it is necessary when the person posts rubbish like this re Benitez:

I post in this thread to discuss topics such as young players coming through, transfer targets, expectations for the season (adjusted depending on results :) ) etc. I don't come here to wade through rubbish like that above.

Blame Sky Sports. They are the ones that hire the likes of Andy Gray, Paul Merson and the other clowns (2 ex-west ham players) who spout out sweeping and entirely inaccurate crap about our team. These guys are bound to influence a certain level of opinion.

On the subject of the Barry deal it will be interesting to see what happens because as I understand it, Alonso is on holidays and refusing to discuss his future until his return so I would have thought the Barry deal can't go through until then.

Meh, that's just the media portraying us as some kind of pauper who need to sell before they buy. I'm sure the Americans can stretch to £15m in the knowledge that Alonso will be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

zing wrote: »

I don't believe Keane has put in a transfer request. That's not to say he hasn't told Spurs that he would be interested in a move to Liverpool though.

I also don't believe Liverpool have made an official bid, but that's not to say that the Pool have not made it clear they are interested, perhaps in informal discussions between the clubs, or through agents acting for the clubs.

Transfers are nowhere near as formal as some would like (or think)

Rafa to Rick Parry: Boss, I would like that Oirish cabron Robbie Keane, he scored twice against us at Anfield last year and cost us 2 points. Viva Espana!
    Rick Parry on intercom to secretary: Dollface, can you bring in the official bid forms, we need to fax a bid to Spurs.
    Dear Spurs,

We would like to sign Robbie Keane.

We offer you £10m plus one of your former lot, Peter Crouch.

Love, Liverpool

Daniel Levy to Damien Comolli: Damo, we've an official bid in from Liverpool for Robbie. It's on the official bid form, what will we do?
    Damien Comolli to Daniel Levy: Mais oui! I have the perfect replacement, he will cost us only £32m on a six year contract, and nobody else is in for him so we're 45% likely to get him. I'll let Robbie know.

Damien Comolli on phone to Robbie Keane: Robbie, the Mickeys want you. Are you interested?
    Robbie to Damien: Yeah, sound. I don't have any official transfer request forms, can you bang one in for me?
    Damien to Robbie: Oui, ce n'est pas grave.

Juande Ramos: I don't want that long streak of p1ss.

Think that's how it's gone so far...:D

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Blame Sky Sports. They are the ones that hire the likes of Andy Gray, Paul Merson and the other clowns (2 ex-west ham players) who spout out sweeping and entirely inaccurate crap about our team. These guys are bound to influence a certain level of opinion.
    Agreed and I expect a lack of knowlege or inaccuracy of opinion from supporters of other teams. It's when you have Liverpool supporters coming out with tabloid-inspired rubbish it's quite frustrating.
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    Meh, that's just the media portraying us as some kind of pauper who need to sell before they buy. I'm sure the Americans can stretch to £15m in the knowledge that Alonso will be sold.
    So it's a smoke screen? I like it :D.

From the echo
    Former Villa stalwart Mark Delaney, now an academy coach at the club, has urged O’Neill to let Barry go.
    'He has to grasp this with both hands. The choice is Champions League and England with Liverpool or the InterToto with Villa.'
    Made me chuckle :)

I don't believe Keane has put in a transfer request. That's not to say he hasn't told Spurs that he would be interested in a move to Liverpool though.

I also don't believe Liverpool have made an official bid, but that's not to say that the Pool have not made it clear they are interested, perhaps in informal discussions between the clubs, or through agents acting for the clubs.

Transfers are nowhere near as formal as some would like (or think)

Rafa to Rick Parry: Boss, I would like that Oirish cabron Robbie Keane, he scored twice against us at Anfield last year and cost us 2 points. Viva Espana!
    Rick Parry on intercom to secretary: Dollface, can you bring in the official bid forms, we need to fax a bid to Spurs.

Daniel Levy to Damien Comolli: Damo, we've an official bid in from Liverpool for Robbie. It's on the official bid form, what will we do?
    Damien Comolli to Daniel Levy: Mais oui! I have the perfect replacement, he will cost us only £32m on a six year contract, and nobody else is in for him so we're 45% likely to get him. I'll let Robbie know.

Damien Comolli on phone to Robbie Keane: Robbie, the Mickeys want you. Are you interested?
    Robbie to Damien: Yeah, sound. I don't have any official transfer request forms, can you bang one in for me?
    Damien to Robbie: Oui, ce n'est pas grave.

Juande Ramos: I don't want that long streak of p1ss.

Think that's how it's gone so far...:D
    lol :D

DeadSkin wrote: »
    From the echo
    Former Villa stalwart Mark Delaney, now an academy coach at the club, has urged O’Neill to let Barry go.
    'He has to grasp this with both hands. The choice is Champions League and England with Liverpool or the InterToto with Villa.'
    Made me chuckle :)
    Didn't O'Neill have a go at Patrik Berger about basically saying the same thing? I wonder will he do the same with Delaney?

• Advertisement

Didn't O'Neill have a go at Patrik Berger about basically saying the same thing? I wonder will he do the same with Delaney?
    He did too, hmmm.

Agreed and I expect a lack of knowlege or inaccuracy of opinion from supporters of other teams. It's when you have Liverpool supporters coming out with tabloid-inspired rubbish it's quite frustrating.

What really gets me is that when journalists and pundits do lazy research. They are in a priviledged position where they can influence many. It gets to the point that everytime I turn on the tv or go on the net someone is mouthing off about Rafa's huge spending, while ignoring the fact of how much he has recouped in sold players and also the fact that Rafa is the only manager in the top 4 who has to sell in order to buy.

So it's a smoke screen? I like it :D.

I just find it comical when I read that we have to sell Benayoun to have £5m available or Finnan to have £2m available. If the Americans cannot give Rafa an "advance" (:rolleyes:) of £15m from the Alonso sale to buy Barry then it's just embarassing for everyone involved in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

AFAIK there is still money left over from the refinancing deal that was done last year, some money was earmarked for last January's transfer window and more was put aside for this summer. I'm sure the Barry deal is not being delayed because 'Liverpool must sell before they can buy,' but because Rafa and O'Neill can't agree on a valuation. Similarly Juve want to get Alonso for the best possible price. But it makes a better story to say that Liverpool can't afford Barry until Alonso comes back off his holidays :rolleyes:

AFAIK there is still money left over from the refinancing deal that was done last year, some money was earmarked for last January's transfer window and more was put aside for this summer. I'm sure the Barry deal is not being delayed because 'Liverpool must sell before they can buy,' but because Rafa and O'Neill can't agree on a valuation. Similarly Juve want to get Alonso for the best possible price. But it makes a better story to say that Liverpool can't afford Barry until Alonso comes back off his holidays :rolleyes:

+1 Exactly. I entirely support Rafa's refusal to be extorted and I believe also that this is the reason it has been delayed so long. O'Neil wants it both ways. He rates Barry at £18m yet he doesn't rate one of the most talented english goalkeepers around to be worth anything close to £8m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I wonder why he didn't go to Swansea rather than Forest? From that BBC article, they were both promoted to the Championship so they are in the sme division. Would wages have been that much of a factor?

Either way I hope the step up a division does him some good. If he gets plenty of games I'm sure Rafa and co. will have a better idea of whether he can make it in the first team.
    I recall reading recently that he preferred the Forest move because he's from that part of the country. Can't find the article now, but his profile on the LFC website says birthplace: Leicester, so it seems logical.
    Fingers crossed he gets lots of games and repeats his form for Swansea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement