Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Villa have rejected a bid from us today for Barry according to their official site.

I'd pull out now, put in 12m-ish bid in August and if they dont take it, tell them to to **** off, buy him next year at 28 for 5m.

There MUST be better alternatives out there for 15-17m. Dont ask me to name them, because I'm not a football scout. Theres has to be though. Barry is not up to the standard of Mascherano, Torres, Tevez etc yet the price they are asking for is around and about the same bracket as these players

Ive really gone off Villa as a club over this to be honest. The height of their season can be seen below.

Pos. Teams Pts.
    1 Arsenal 0
    2 Aston Villa 0
    3 Blackburn 0
    4 Bolton 0
    5 Chelsea 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Tusky wrote: »
    There MUST be better alternatives out there for 15-17m. Dont ask me to name them, because I'm not a football scout. Theres has to be though. Barry is not up to the standard of Mascherano, Torres, Tevez etc yet the price they are asking for is around and about the same price bracket.

Well, there is and he's already in our team but we're trying to sell him. Does anyone know exactly why we're selling Alonso? It can't just be because of a dip in form, does he want out himself or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

There MUST be better alternatives out there for 15-17m. Dont ask me to name them, because I'm not a football scout. Theres has to be though. Barry is not up to the standard of Mascherano, Torres, Tevez etc yet the price they are asking for is around and about the same price bracket.

i doubt united would let us get him but Veloso is available for about £20m, it would be a bit riskier than Barry though and i would be happier to just keep Alonso.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There MUST be better alternatives out there for 15-17m. Dont ask me to name them, because I'm not a football scout. Theres has to be though. Barry is not up to the standard of Mascherano, Torres, Tevez etc yet the price they are asking for is around and about the same bracket as these players

The valuation of 17m only becomes an issue for us if that is what Liverpool actually pay for him. Right now though it looks like the club are in agreement with most fans who think that 12m is probably a fairer reflection of his worth.

Ive really gone off Villa as a club over this to be honest. The height of their season can be seen below.

Pos. Teams Pts.
    1 Arsenal 0
    2 Aston Villa 0
    3 Blackburn 0
    4 Bolton 0
    5 Chelsea 0

Heh..

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Well, there is and he's already in our team but we're trying to sell him. Does anyone know exactly why we're selling Alonso? It can't just be because of a dip in form, does he want out himself or something?

this subject has been dealt with extensively a number of times throughout this thread i suggest you use the search function, rather the rehashing old arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

17 million is way of the mark.The general feeling im getting from the LFC sites is that Liverpool have offered Villa in and around the 13-14 million mark and refuse to deal with numbers higher than this.Proper order

maybe our move for barry has been a smoke screen for our apparent interest in Xavi. If it came down to a straight choice I know who I would pick.
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    Inter boss Jose Mourinho has told President Massimo Moratti he wants to sign Barcelona superstar Xavi, while Manchester United and Liverpool are also considering making a move. (Marca, 1240)

gixerfixer wrote: »
    17 million is way of the mark.The general feeling im getting from the LFC sites is that Liverpool have offered Villa in and around the 13-14 million mark and refuse to deal with numbers higher than this.Proper order

I reckon its closer to 15m at this stage. This is the fourth bid they have rejected and we started at about 10/11m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

this subject has been dealt with extensively a number of times throughout this thread i suggest you use the search function, rather the rehashing old arguments.

Oh i'm not looking to get into a big argument over it, i'm just wondering if anyone has an definitive answer on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Villa have rejected a bid from us today for Barry according to their official site.

I'd pull out now, put in 12m-ish bid in August and if they dont take it, tell them to to **** off, buy him next year at 28 for 5m.
    If true, I'd pull out now as well. I've said this before, I don't think the player is worth us paying that kind of money on. I had originally said if it goes above £14m I would be very disappointed. I stand by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The report in today's paper of a £17m offer for Gareth Barry is inaccurate. The club have received a renewed offer from Liverpool for the player but that still falls well short of Aston Villa's evaluation, and has subsequently been rejected.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...337748,00.html

Full statement from Villa website for increased clarity - I posted this already in the Villa tread but thought it deserved a mention here. My opinion on the price is that it has gone £10m, £12m, £13m and that this one is £15m

However I do think it makes more sense to keep all of the Barry talk over there[in the Barry tread], in spite of the fact that I just stupidly here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

maybe our move for barry has been a smoke screen for our apparent interest in Xavi. If it came down to a straight choice I know who I would pick.

I would not be able to control my joy if this was the case.
    Bigger signing than Torres and would be some statement of intent from Rafa.
    No chance in hell of Barca selling him though.
    None none none!

IrishMike wrote: »
    I would not be able to control my joy if this was the case.
    Bigger signing than Torres and would be some statement of intent from Rafa.
    No chance in hell of Barca selling him though.
    None none none!

i am not gonna hold my breath tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Em, not to burst the bubble lads, but there's no chance Xavi would even want to leave Barca and no chance Barca will sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

aye to back up PHB, Xavi was basically guardiola's prodigy at barca, i cant see him selling him

PHB wrote: »
    Em, not to burst the bubble lads, but there's no chance Xavi would even want to leave Barca and no chance Barca will sell him.

Dont think there is a bubble to burst.

The Xavi thing is never going to happen imo.

Not that pushed really given what would be the cost, his age and the fact that I don't think he would be suited to the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

PHB wrote: »

Do you honestly think either of those two points will stop people on thsi thread discussing/argueing over it? Facts and stats won't stop a hypothetical debate going here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

his age and the fact that I don't think he would be suited to the PL.

I think he would be perfectly suited for the PL.

He would cost a packet, as for his age, 28 so he is at his peak.

Please don't mention resale value. :(

rosboy wrote: »
    Do you honestly think either of those two points will stop people on thsi thread discussing/argueing over it? Facts and stats won't stop a hypothetical debate going here:rolleyes:

Given the flimsy nature of the rumour along with the apparent cold-hard reality of Liverpool's finances, the fact that Xavi has given no indicaton of any interest in moving plus the fact that there are a number of other players who we are much more strongly linked with, I doubt anyone any Liverpool fan would be daft enough to waste their time on this idle speculation.

In terms of how I felt when I saw this - I used it to ruin Xavi6's night sleep for the laugh (See Xavi tread for more) as opposed to bother mentioning it here, so worthless did I consider it.:):)

I'd rate it at the same pointless level of discussing a Christano Ronaldo to Liverpool rumour from one source. :p

Edit : Sorry Boggles - didnt see your post there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There's rumours on the bbc site about podolski moving from bayern. 15m apparently?! Hey'd be a great buy imo. He played in a similar formation that liverpool do, with germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There's rumours on the bbc site about podolski moving from bayern. 15m apparently?! Hey'd be a great buy imo. He played in a similar formation that liverpool do, with germany.
    If we're talking about German internationals I would prefer Bastian Schweinsteiger to play on the right but Podolski would certainly offer options both up front and on the left. Certainly I think he would be better value for money than Gareth Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

malice_ wrote: »
    If we're talking about German internationals I would prefer Bastian Schweinsteiger .

SCOOTER! BACK IN ANFIELD :)

Boggles wrote: »
    I think he would be perfectly suited for the PL.

He would cost a packet, as for his age, 28 so he is at his peak.

Please don't mention resale value. :(

Just to explain by post about resale value. It obviously wouldnt be as big of an issue if you were buying a 28-30 year old Xavi, Kaka, Zidane, Eto'o etc but it is an issue when you are buying someone like Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

have to say i think podolski would be a great signing for us and could be easily interchanged in any of our attacking positions.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    have to say i think podolski would be a great signing for us and could be easily interchanged in any of our attacking positions.

i agree....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd take Keane over Podolski, but they both seem very similar to me. I'd be delighted to see eithe in a Liverpool shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Sorry but, can you explain, please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahahaha. never thought of it that way. would love to see him there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dobsdave wrote: »
    Sorry but, can you explain, please

Scooter
    scooter.jpg

Schweinsteiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Ahh,I see now, thanks Rebel.

My thoughts on the Crouch plus £5m for Keane deal.

I’ve spoken before on my belief in the beauty of players plus cash. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Crouch plus £5m cash deal goes through, cos it would be a great bit of business. Even if we have to revise it to Crouch plus £8m I think it would still be a good bit of business. Crouch plus £10m wouldn’t even be the worst case scenario either. I can see getting Keane making a lot of sense from Liverpool’s side but the situation at White Hart Lane is a lot harder to figure out given the rumours about Berbatov and Bent leaving as well.

I can see Keane giving us great options as regards our attacking situations next year. People talk about formation and where would he play. Personally I think the whole formation is a lot of hoo-ha. They say 4-3-2-1 worked for us at the end of last season and that’s true. However it doesn’t automatically follow that playing this formation going forward will bring success.

My opinion is that you pick your first eleven for a particular game on the basis of who’s fit, what players are playing well and what you expect the opposition to do. Imagine a situation where you are playing Man Utd away at Old Trafford one week and playing Stoke at home the following week. Does anyone in the world think it would make any sort of sense to play the same teams in the same formation for these two games? :confused: I can see the possibility of maybe playing the same eleven but even in this unlikely case, the Liverpool eleven would surely not be playing in the same formation. As such I think what you need is options which are massively increased by having Keane in the squad. Also I think you are doing a massive dis-service to Rafa’s tactical ability to suggest there is only one perfect formation.

My own viewpoint is that we will see the standard goal-keeper and back four for a lot of games next season, with slight alterations in the wingback/full-back position depending on the opposition. However in front of this I would expect a lot more flexibility as regards formation. Sometimes we might see a 4-1-3-2, sometimes a 4-1-4-1, other times a 4-2-3-1, other times a 4-2-2-2. This sounds like a lot of switching but in most of these cases, I would expect the front six to come from a core of eight or nine players. Saw a statistic regarding the 06/07 season I think about the number of players Benitez used in the league being something like fifth lowest. [Not 100% on this stat and cant remember where I saw it] I’m pretty sure this was at the peak of the rotation brouhaha. This would lend credence to my theory of a limited rotation of a core number of players next season which makes a lot of sense in my eyes.

Keane is a proven goal-scorer, with PL experience, a hard worker, a vice-captain at his club, and most importantly with any of our potential signings has mates at the club.:D:D:D:):):P:P He would increase out goal threat without a doubt and the stat that impressed me most was that something like 50% per cent of his goals in recent seasons have come away from WHL which is one of the only areas where Torres could have improved last season. [The other being scoring more hat-tricks for the bonus points as my fantasy football captain:D]

On the Crouch plus £5m for Keane deal, I would be extremely pleased if this went through but I can well see Spurs looking for a fair whack of cash more than £5m, even if Keane hands in a transfer request. At one end of the valuation spectrum there is Rafa’s valuation of Crouch at £15m, which values Keane at £20m. However given that the most recent offer for Crouch was Portsmouth’s offer of £7m plus £2m, you could say that that the offer of Crouch plus £5m only values Keane at £12m plus £2m in add-ons. There is also the possibility of Spurs saying Keane is worth £25m and Crouch is only worth £8m, so they want £17m cash. However Rafa’s initial opening bid of Crouch plus £5m makes this an unlikely response from Spurs, which makes the opening bid look like such a smart play.

A few weeks ago I thought £8m to £9m maybe £10m would be the max we’d get for Crouch but I think Rafa has engineered a situation where we either end up getting Keane on the cheap (due to an inflation of Crouch’s valuation in the deal) or we get Portsmouth to up their initial bid quite a bit if they are so eager to get Crouch. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I think Rafa would make one hell of a poker player.

I can see this deal taking a bit of time to tie up but I’d be pretty optimistic that the whole thing can be handled a lot better than the whole Barry saga.

Good post, and I strongly agree about the flexibility of our attacking formation.

Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard, Keane and Benayoun are all capable of playing anywhere in our attack, and they offer a lot of flexibility while not chopping and changing players in and out of the squad. Trap has said recently that he sees Keano in a 'Totti' role, and I believe he's perfectly suited to playing in between the lines, as well as as an orthodox striker partnering Torres.

Spain showed the advantages of using versatile players up front in the Euros. Villa, Silva and Torres all swapped positions, dragged the defense around and found and created their own space, instead of playing on the defender's shoulder or taking them on. Babel, Torres and Keane could offer a similar system up front for Liverpool.

Crouch + 10 million would be a fair price for Keane, in my book. However, if Spurs won't budge, there are other options. Podolski has been agitating for a move from Bayern, and he supposedly has a price tag of 15 million. He's not proven in the Premiership, but he's produced the goods at both the European Championship and the World Cup, so there's no disputing his talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

I'd be happy signing Podolski and Keane and getting rid of crouch, voronin and Benayoun..

My thoughts on the Crouch plus £5m for Keane deal.

I’ve spoken before on my belief in the beauty of players plus cash. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Crouch plus £5m cash deal goes through, cos it would be a great bit of business. Even if we have to revise it to Crouch plus £8m I think it would still be a good bit of business. Crouch plus £10m wouldn’t even be the worst case scenario either. I can see getting Keane making a lot of sense from Liverpool’s side but the situation at White Hart Lane is a lot harder to figure out given the rumours about Berbatov and Bent leaving as well.

I can see Keane giving us great options as regards our attacking situations next year. People talk about formation and where would he play. Personally I think the whole formation is a lot of hoo-ha. They say 4-3-2-1 worked for us at the end of last season and that’s true. However it doesn’t automatically follow that playing this formation going forward will bring success.

My opinion is that you pick your first eleven for a particular game on the basis of who’s fit, what players are playing well and what you expect the opposition to do. Imagine a situation where you are playing Man Utd away at Old Trafford one week and playing Stoke at home the following week. Does anyone in the world think it would make any sort of sense to play the same teams in the same formation for these two games? :confused: I can see the possibility of maybe playing the same eleven but even in this unlikely case, the Liverpool eleven would surely not be playing in the same formation. As such I think what you need is options which are massively increased by having Keane in the squad. Also I think you are doing a massive dis-service to Rafa’s tactical ability to suggest there is only one perfect formation.

My own viewpoint is that we will see the standard goal-keeper and back four for a lot of games next season, with slight alterations in the wingback/full-back position depending on the opposition. However in front of this I would expect a lot more flexibility as regards formation. Sometimes we might see a 4-1-3-2, sometimes a 4-1-4-1, other times a 4-2-3-1, other times a 4-2-2-2. This sounds like a lot of switching but in most of these cases, I would expect the front six to come from a core of eight or nine players. Saw a statistic regarding the 06/07 season I think about the number of players Benitez used in the league being something like fifth lowest. [Not 100% on this stat and cant remember where I saw it] I’m pretty sure this was at the peak of the rotation brouhaha. This would lend credence to my theory of a limited rotation of a core number of players next season which makes a lot of sense in my eyes.

Keane is a proven goal-scorer, with PL experience, a hard worker, a vice-captain at his club, and most importantly with any of our potential signings has mates at the club.:D:D:D:):):P:P He would increase out goal threat without a doubt and the stat that impressed me most was that something like 50% per cent of his goals in recent seasons have come away from WHL which is one of the only areas where Torres could have improved last season. [The other being scoring more hat-tricks for the bonus points as my fantasy football captain:D]

On the Crouch plus £5m for Keane deal, I would be extremely pleased if this went through but I can well see Spurs looking for a fair whack of cash more than £5m, even if Keane hands in a transfer request. At one end of the valuation spectrum there is Rafa’s valuation of Crouch at £15m, which values Keane at £20m. However given that the most recent offer for Crouch was Portsmouth’s offer of £7m plus £2m, you could say that that the offer of Crouch plus £5m only values Keane at £12m plus £2m in add-ons. There is also the possibility of Spurs saying Keane is worth £25m and Crouch is only worth £8m, so they want £17m cash. However Rafa’s initial opening bid of Crouch plus £5m makes this an unlikely response from Spurs, which makes the opening bid look like such a smart play.

A few weeks ago I thought £8m to £9m maybe £10m would be the max we’d get for Crouch but I think Rafa has engineered a situation where we either end up getting Keane on the cheap (due to an inflation of Crouch’s valuation in the deal) or we get Portsmouth to up their initial bid quite a bit if they are so eager to get Crouch. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I think Rafa would make one hell of a poker player.

I can see this deal taking a bit of time to tie up but I’d be pretty optimistic that the whole thing can be handled a lot better than the whole Barry saga.

Probably the best post i have seen in this thread in months.
    Pure quality, hope to hell everyone else tries to step up to the mark and
    write insightful posts of this quality, myself included.

• Advertisement

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni says Tottenham striker Robbie Keane would benefit from joining Liverpool. (Various)

Trapattoni could land himself in hot water with Ramos for this!
    Spain and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres sent his English club team-mates, who were not at Euro 2008 after the national team failed to qualify, bottles of Spanish wine as he rubbed in his country's victory at the tournament. (Daily Star)

Torres scumbag ;);)
    /me runs away from Mr Alan who is brandishing an axe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LZ5by5 wrote: »

I said back when we played Inter that i thought Rafa was seriously unimpressed with Alonso missing the match for the birth of his child, people mocked and gave out at the time, but i stand by this.
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Trapattoni could land himself in hot water with Ramos for this!

Torres scumbag ;);)
    /me runs away from Mr Alan who is brandishing an axe!

Good work from both Torres and Trapattoni.

Trappatoni quote:
    Trapattoni said: ‘I don’t know what is happening with Liverpool at the moment but I would be very happy for him (to move). I hope it happens for him because it will be a big challenge. It would be important for him and important for us.’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think apart from the whole Barry saga what has dissapointed me the most this summer has been the lack of info regarding the expansion of the Liverpool FC brand abroad. This was yet another thing the Americans promised would change but as far as I can see we're doing nothing. No press releases... is there any tours this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

No tours for first team but I think that's partially due to the euros. Some players not back for another 3 weeks because of it, etc.. There'll be the usual training camp in .ch but that's about it

zing wrote: »
    No tours for first team but I think that's partially due to the euros. Some players not back for another 3 weeks because of it, etc.. There'll be the usual training camp in .ch but that's about it

Not to mention this, huge loss.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3770104,00.html

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »

Surely the Euros are no excuse. We could easily have put together a squad of 20 odd players and headed over to Asia for some PR work. We need to do these kind of things to get on a level where we can compete financially with the likes of United and Chelsea. It's more than just a matter of sorting out our stadium.

I swear to god in traveling Asia for the last 5 months i've seen more Spurs jerseys on kids than Pool ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

So Mascherano has been named in Argentina's Olympic squad and will miss both legs of the CL qualifiers. New Pool signing Insua remains on standby for a call up too.

Wouldn't say Rafa is too pleased considering Barry isn't signed and the uncertainty over Alonso's future looms on.

More young Hungarians come over (only on trial mind)...

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3770291,00.html

Tis a fair few now...

He's gonna miss 2 CL qualifiers and and games to Sunderland and Middlesboro.

If we can't navigate these fixtures without Macherano, we should give up all hope of doing anything this year.

We will have a midfield two from Gerrard, Alonso/Barry, Benayoun, Plessis and possibly Lucas. That's enough to get us through 4 games against comparatively weak opposition.

He's gonna miss 2 CL qualifiers and and games to Sunderland and Middlesboro.

If we can't navigate these fixtures without Macherano, we should give up all hope of doing anything this year.

We will have a midfield two from Gerrard, Alonso/Barry, Benayoun, Plessis and possibly Lucas. That's enough to get us through 4 games against comparatively weak opposition.

Depending who Liverpool get in the CL, I'd go along with that.

You can't dismiss the fact that spending a month in China won't necessarly be beneficial to him when he does eventual arrive back, so it might not just be those 4 games.

So Mascherano has been named in Argentina's Olympic squad and will miss both legs of the CL qualifiers. New Pool signing Insua remains on standby for a call up too.

Wouldn't say Rafa is too pleased considering Barry isn't signed and the uncertainty over Alonso's future looms on.

I was initially a bit concerned when I heard about the Olympics thing but after some investigating I don't think it's anything massively major to be worried about. I had a notion it went on a lot longer than it does. For some reason I had a month long scenario deal and in September as opposed to August.

The Olympic games for the soccer run from 7th August to the final on 23rd of August. While without a doubt Argentina would be one of the favourites, given the underage plus three overage players squad, it's hard to predict how far they will go. In Argentina's initial group there are Australia, Ivory Coast, and Serbia with two to go on. So it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Argentina might not go through (last group game is the 13th). Masch could be home in a week i.e. missing a league game against Sunderland and the first leg of the CL qualifier.

The dates of the CL qualifiers are the 12th and 27th of August - so I assume Lucas/Masch would have enough time to make the bench for the second leg if needed given the final is the 23rd?

As regards backup the fact that Lucas is more than likely going to be in the Brazil side is a bit of a nuisance. Brazil have China, New Zealand and Belgium in their group so I think it safe to assume they will go through from the group stages.

The PL fixtures around this time are Sunderland away on the 16th, and Boro at home on the 23rd which it has to be said are pretty favourable as regards this. As for the CL qualifiers, I think the question of who we get drawn against will determine how seriousof an issue this will be. Sure it's an annoyance [esp given that it looks like the two players we are losing are both CMs] but I would be hoping that it won't have any serious negative impact on the season. Only major worry would be injury that might have Lucas/Masch out longer term.

Worst case scenario (no Barry, no Alonso, no Alonso replacement, no Masch, no Lucas) we would have Gerrard and Plessis maybe. However I doubt the situation will arise that we wont have one of Barry/Alonso/Alonso replacement at worst.

I think it's at the case of something to keep an eye on as opposed to something to panic about.

The transfer window is only open 3 days and most players are on holidays.
    There will be no major transfers until the end of July because any player
    that has been playing in the Euros will be on holiday.
    Oh and im sure Rafa realised that Mascherano would be going to the olympics.
    Only worry would be he gets injured over there.
    Heres hoping the Argies get knocked out early ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You could always juggle the formation as well, you don't have to play with 2 * CM.

Reina

Finan--Agger--Carra
    Aurelio

Skrtel

Pennant---Gerrard----Babbel--

Kuyt
    Torres

For example

You could always juggle the formation as well, you don't have to play with 2 * CM.

Reina

Finan--Agger--Carra
    Aurelio

Skrtel

Pennant---Gerrard----Babbel--

Kuyt
    Torres

For example

I'd rather Agger in Skrtels position if we did go with that but i'd be worried by that formation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Thinking about it Carra would be better again - he played a bit as a DMC for us and (once, I think) for England.

It's not a great formation, lacks width for a start, but I'm just saying that even without new players we wouln't have to promote youths into vital games, we could also look at a formation shift to play with who we have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement