Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

You could always juggle the formation as well, you don't have to play with 2 * CM.

Reina

Finan--Agger--Carra
    Aurelio

Skrtel

Pennant---Gerrard----Babbel--

Kuyt
    Torres

For example

Skrtel as a holding midfielder, thats madness, we do have Lucas, Gerrard, Carragher and Plessis who have all played that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Skrtel as a holding midfielder, thats madness, we do have Lucas, Gerrard, Carragher and Plessis who have all played that position.

I corrected myself about Caragher and that post was on the assumption that Lucas was also in the Olympics. If you move Gerrard back then who do you put in central midfield, Benayoun? And I agree Plessis as a DMC is being played in his natural position but if we get a tough draw in the CL qualifiers then you may want experienced players in there. The point I was trying to make is that we don't have to promote inexperience because of Mascherano's Olympic trip.

The point I was trying to make is that we don't have to promote inexperience because of Mascherano's Olympic trip.

indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

from f365:

Liverpool have taken Hungarian teenagers David Kelemen, Norbert Ode and Zsolt Poloskei on trial, according to MTK Budapest.

The trio are reportedly due to train with Liverpool's reserves during a three-week trial.

Kelemen, 16, and Ode, 17, both play in defence while Poloskei, 17, is a midfielder.

It is claimed that Liverpool scouts were impressed with the trio's potential after watching them play for Hungary Under 17s.

Meanwhile, a decision from the Reds over the future of goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi, on loan from MTK, is expected in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As if MON couldn't sink any lower in my estimation.
    Gareth Barry left in cold at Villa over Liverpool switch
    Jul 3 2008 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

GARETH BARRY has been left to sweat on his future, after Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill fined him £84,000 and ordered him to stay away from training.

To rub salt into the wound, the Reds target only learned of his punishment by reading Aston Villa’s website which carried a statement from the Villa boss.

A letter was later delivered to the player’s home banning him indefinitely from training and all club facilities.

O’Neill decided to act after Barry gave an interview to a Sunday newspaper outlining his frustration at the Villa chief’s behaviour this summer.

He complained about O’Neill having time to talk to the nation on BBC about Euro 2008 but not to him about his future.

O’Neill said: “Gareth will not be returning to training tomorrow and he has been disciplined after giving an unauthorised interview to the News of the World.”

Barry must sit and sweat now as Villa head off to Switzerland next week for a training camp. Villa claim they knocked back another Liverpool bid on Tuesday, way below their £18m valuation.

The Reds are unlikely to pay more than £15m, leaving the player in the middle of an increasingly acrimonious wrangle.

O’Neill knows he can’t afford to let his prize asset kick his heels at home while Villa are still paying him more than £40,000 a week, but is determined to prise as much money as he can out of Liverpool.

With Rafa Benitez juggling his finances in order to fund other signings, he is equally determined that the Reds will not be held to ransom.

Villa’s rationale is that Barry is worth as much as Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves, who Manchester United bought for £18.6m and £17m respectively.

Liverpool, however, point out that Javier Mascherano cost them £18m, and he is three years Barry’s junior.

Mascherano has been formally named in Argentina’s 18-man squad for the Olympics and leaving the Reds short of midfield cover. He will miss the opening fixtures against Sunderland and Middlesbrough and the Champions League qualifiers on August 12/13 and 26/27.

Argentina face Ivory Coast on August 7, Australia on August 10 and Serbia on the 13th, with progress from their group taking them into the knockout stages. The final Gold medal match is on August 23rd – the day Liverpool entertain Middlesbrough.

Ironically Mascherano is likely to be available for the first time againstVilla on August 30. Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva is expected to be in their squad, adding to Benitez’s problems – especially if Xabi Alonso completes his move to Juventus.

Gareth Barry complains about MON not talking to him.
    What does he do, but ban him, fine him almost a hundred grand, and do it all behind his back, refusing to say it to his face!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Time for Liverpool to pull out and look elsewhere imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i dunno...if anything, the above story makes it even more difficult for Barry to stay there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

While Lucas & Masch are away for start of season

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Skrtel--Dossena

<new>---Barry*--Gerrard--Babel

Kuyt*--Torres

Barry or whoever else we buy. Kuyt could also play on the right with Benayoun playing behind the striker. Babel could also play up front and I assume we will sign a new striker, who could also play up front. Its only for about 4 games so we should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Couldnt agree more.Had a lot of respect for MON before this whole saga started but the man is a complete ****. I'll be delighted if we look elsewhere as Barry is not Liverpool quality anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Alonso vs Barry is an argument that goes round and round. Barry is a good player and would work well but what Villa seem to be missing is that they have conceeded control of this situation to LFC.

At the start of the entire situation Villa held all teh cards - we wanted thier club captain, an established international, and so would have to pay through the nose for him.

Now we are the sole bidders on a want away rebel who has been banned from training and is clearly not even on speaking terms with his manager.

How on eath can this do anything other than drive his price down?

Alonso vs Barry is an argument that goes round and round. Barry is a good player and would work well but what Villa seem to be missing is that they have conceeded control of this situation to LFC.

At the start of the entire situation Villa held all teh cards - we wanted thier club captain, an established international, and so would have to pay through the nose for him.

Now we are the sole bidders on a want away rebel who has been banned from training and is clearly not even on speaking terms with his manager.

How on eath can this do anything other than drive his price down?

That's why id be very surprised if we payed anything over 12 million for him now.Still think even twelve is way over the odds mind you.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gixerfixer wrote: »
    That's why id be very surprised if we payed anything over 12 million for him now.Still think even twelve is way over the odds mind you.:mad:

well prepare to be surprised then! not a hope in hell we'd get him for 12, id say 15ish is the absolute minimum possible at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The bid was raised yesterday. This being after all the events with the News Of The World. Hard to be sure but given what is being constantly reported it seems to be about 15 million. That was rejected. Liverpool know well that they certainly aren't going to get him for 3 million cheaper than that. They might get him for 16 million maybe, but I reckon the final fee will be 17 or 18.

There is absolutely no way Villa have played hard ball the whole way over this and rejected 15 million bids, just to suddenly decide 12 million will be enough. Won't happen. Nice wishful thinking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

DSB wrote: »
    The bid was raised yesterday. This being after all the events with the News Of The World. Hard to be sure but given what is being constantly reported it seems to be about 15 million. That was rejected. Liverpool know well that they certainly aren't going to get him for 3 million cheaper than that. They might get him for 16 million maybe, but I reckon the final fee will be 17 or 18.

There is absolutely no way Villa have played hard ball the whole way over this and rejected 15 million bids, just to suddenly decide 12 million will be enough. Won't happen. Nice wishful thinking though.

True, we won't get him for less than we've already bidded, id say if we left it a few weeeks and through in a pack of Tayto with our current offer they'd accept, otherwise I really think we should look elsewhere, we have to draw the line somewhere and the line is certainly not 18m in my mnd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

colly10 wrote: »
    True, we won't get him for less than we've already bidded, id say if we left it a few weeeks and through in a pack of Tayto with our current offer they'd accept, otherwise I really think we should look elsewhere, we have to draw the line somewhere and the line is certainly not 18m in my mnd

Can't see Benitez pulling the plug on the move. He knows having Barry in would be more than just for the players' ability. Morale would be hugely boosted as a result, especially with the Gerrard connection and thats invaluable. So its a good bit different to having to pay the extra million or 2, on some talented but yet raw player, which seems to be the type of player Benitez has been going for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Barry on the left of a 4-4-2 with keane and torres up front? id like to see that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jazzy wrote: »
    Barry on the left of a 4-4-2 with keane and torres up front? id like to see that :D

I really don't believe that this will happen. I am fairly confident that Rafa has settled on a 4-3-3, or 4-5-1 depending on how you look at it.

Keane is being eyed up as a player who can provide cover to both Torres and Gerard. When Torres is not playing, Keane will play up from with Gerard behind him. When Gerard is not playing, Keane will play behind Torres.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kuyt provide more cover for Torres and see Gerard on the inside right more often with Keane playing up the centre.

As has been discussed already, Rafa is defo setting up the forward line in a way that allows all the players to rotate between positions.

I think that we could find ourselves is a surprisingly similar set up to how Spain finished the recent Euro's. Torres leading the line, with 4 players sandwiched between a holding midfielder.

Torres
    Babel
    Barry
    Keane
    Gerarard
    Mascherano

Torres
    Silva
    Fabregas
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Senna

As with Xavi, Barry would go forward with attack but also sit deeper when needed.

The likes of Kuyt, Benayoun, Lucas and so on would be able to slot in easily.

bbc.co.uk wrote:
    Liverpool are set to rekindle plans to sign Espanyol winger Albert Riera. (Clubcall, 1430 BST)

thank god clubcall is a pi$$ poor source...

i would have imagined the line up as so:

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Masch
    Barry
    -Keane--Gerrard--Babel-
    Torres

We never bidded for Riera.
    Or Bentley, or Milner, or Downing etc...

Lots of stories, but not one bid.

Couple that with the implication of GB that Rafa is generating a smoke screen to hide his real target, who will make Liverpool fans really happy, is still making me think of the glass as half full.

Wait and see I suppose, although personally I think that Riera would be a good addition to the squad, and is under-rated here due to his time at Man City, and everyone ignores how he's improved since leaving.

We never bidded for Riera.

it doesnt say we did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

it doesnt say we did...

Not saying we did, I'm saying that it says we're rekindling our interest in a player that we have no interest in.
    Untill proven otherwise, I'm choosing to believe that it is all just a smokescreen like GB says.

Hey, I'm a born optomist!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hey, I'm a born optomist!;)

As us Liverpool fans need to be at times:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

zing wrote: »

Interesting to read that he has a twin who's also a professional footballer. Rafa's done well picking up 'relatively unheard of defenders' for good prices - Agger and Skrtel being the two obvious ones. I'm optimistic about Degen and Dossena from that perspective, especially since Rafa got them signed up very quickly without any fuss (touch wood).

The more I think about it, the happier I am with the Keane/Barry rumours. Both are proven Premier League quality and we already have plenty of potential coming through the reserves by all accounts. The best way of having a crack at the PL is with this kind of player. A bit disappointed not to get a 'big name' and I'll be very sad to see Xabi go, he was my favourite LFC player in the squad. However Rafa seems to have zoned in on these signings so I'll trust him on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can i just say its a mystery to me as to why rafa has stayed at Liverpool through all the ****e that has happened with us and our owners over the last year.
    telegraph wrote:
    Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) £4.5m
    Kevin Keegan (Newcastle) £4m
    Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) £3m
    Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth) £3m
    Avram Grant (Chelsea) £3m
    Roy Keane (Sunderland) £3m
    Rafael Benitez (Liverpool) £2.5m
    David Moyes (Everton) £2.5m

he earns the same as Moyes, and less than Keane for **** sake.

GIVE THE MAN A PAY RISE YOU THICK AMERICAN CLOWNS!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    GIVE THE MAN A PAY RISE YOU THICK AMERICAN CLOWNS!

I agree 100%,I could also never understand how Sir Alex never got a clause in any of his contracts that would make him at least be on a par with the top earning manager in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

That's crazy. Does Alex Ferguson get bonusses on top of that? How is KK worth more than Ferguson and Benitez:D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It is crazy .. Ashley must have loved Keegan as a player, cos his credentials as a manager aint up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

to be far i dont think benitez and ferguson are in it for the money!!

sure its a bonus but i get the impression that they'd manage anywhere for the love of the game!!

In other news Kewell has apparently signed for Galatasaray. Of all the places I half expected him to go to Turkey wasn't even on the list.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3772590,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

kevin keegan earning £4m a year? after admitting that he hadnt watched a game in 2 years. wat a crazy club the toon are

if he is half as popular with their fans as he was with us he'll end up strung from the goal posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

zing wrote: »
    Of all the places I half expected him to go to Turkey wasn't even on the list.

why not? Turkey's basically the last chance saloon of European football. look at the likes of Anelka, Kezman and co.

cant really argue with this tbh

http://www.football4u.eu/harry-kewell-signs-for-galatasary.html

Now Rafa never actually says the headline before any rival fans take a pop.

But i do agree that Agger was a massive loss last year and will be like a new signing this season.
    If we were to get Keane,Dossena,Agger,Barry and Babel/Kuyt were to have better/more consistant seasons, could that make an 11pt difference? quite possibly :D
    RAFA: AGGER LOSS COST US TITLE SHOT

The loss of Daniel Agger cost Liverpool a shot at the Premier League title last season, according to Rafa Benitez.
    The manager's words came as his Danish defender returned to pre-season training at Melwood having missed most of 2007-08 with a metatarsal break.

Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I think it cost us early in the season. We conceded goals at the end of games which finished as draws because Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher were playing too many games in a row.

"We were using Jack Hobbs in some games and Alvaro Arbeloa as a centre-back; clearly we missed Daniel Agger.

"He is a centre-back but good on the ball and a threat for the other team too. We missed Agger."

Benitez tried to sign Gabriel Heinze from Manchester United last summer as cover but the move proved impossible.

Instead Liverpool had to wait until January for top-class reinforcements by the name of Martin Skrtel.

The Slovak made an impressive start to his Anfield career and will ensure that competition is fierce for central defensive places this season.

Benitez added: "We knew this player when he was 18. It was funny because some people were going to see Everton against Zenit and were saying this player really has ability. But we already had four or five videos of him which we liked. We had already sent our people over there and we knew he was the player for us.

"It can be difficult to settle down in this country but Martin has been really good.

"We know the players we want whenever the window opens and we try to sign the players at the right price."

why not?

Dunno - whatever about him I just didn't see his missus being up for a move to there. Would have thought somewhere it Italy or Spain would have been more up her street (or London of course). But then it all depends on who was knocking on his agents door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

pongolle on the move

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3772523,00.html

good to see him get a big move. made a nice impact for recre and looked good whenever i saw him play for them.

would be nice to think we had some clause to get a percentage of any future sell on fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I think Kewell has done well to get a 3 year deal considering his injuries. Wouldn't surprise me if moves to Roma, Portsmouth etc were shorter term contracts with pay-as-you-play clauses.

Kewell just is going where the money is.3 year contract is a joke.Couldnt care less now.Good ridence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What kind of clown is giving Kewell a 3 Year contract ffs.

Anyway, question for all you Kopites.

Are Liverpool looking at any other Midfield players, in case the Barry transfer doesn't happen? (and don't say anything silly like "ah but, it WILL happen, wink wink)

Or will it just be a case of keep Alonso?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that Alonso would just be kept, and who knows, this incident might prove to be the kick up the arse he needed :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd imagine that Alonso would just be kept, and who knows, this incident might prove to be the kick up the arse he needed :)

Maybe that was the plan all along.. unsettle Villa, and have Alonso come back after the summer with an "I'll show Rafa" attitude. ;)

in addition to the "i am now one of the European Champions" attitude our Spanish contingent will have :)

that sould be a major confidence booster for the likes of Torres and Arbeloa next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine Alonso is pretty alienated at this point surely?

DesF wrote: »
    What kind of clown is giving Kewell a 3 Year contract ffs.

Anyway, question for all you Kopites.

Are Liverpool looking at any other Midfield players, in case the Barry transfer doesn't happen? (and don't say anything silly like "ah but, it WILL happen, wink wink)

Or will it just be a case of keep Alonso?

Im sure we have a back up signing or two but im hoping to god we keep Alonso. Tim cahill from everton ;)....i'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

One year today that his lad arrived.

Wat a ****ing player. And wat a year we've had with him.

Best player in the world within 3 years. FACT.

Fernando_Torres_narrowweb__300x416,0.jpg
    You think it'll take that long? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For the sake of the next ten pages, lets not even go down this road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paul Hassall 04 July 2008

Rafa Benitez has once again praised his scouting department for unearthing Bosman bargain Philipp Degen, a player the boss believes can aid a charge on the Premier League title in 2008-09.
    Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv as the new boy met his teammates for the first time today, Benitez explained what the defender could offer and shed light on how pre-season was going so far.

He also reflected on the signing of Fernando Torres – a deal completed a year ago today.

First of all, how pleased are you to welcome Philipp Degen to Liverpool?

I'm really pleased because we were working to try and find this kind of player in the full-back position with the ability to push forward, so I think he is a good signing. It was another good acquisition through the scouting department because it is another Bosman player.

What qualities do you think he will bring to the side?

He's very strong. He likes to go forward; he's very offensive and will give us options on the right-hand side. People talk about wingers but he will give us width from the full-back area and that is important too.

Was the right side an area you were looking to improve?

Yes, we were looking to improve some areas. On the right side we wanted to be more offensive and also on the left, and that is the reason we brought in Degen.

He'll face stiff competition from the likes of Steve Finnan and Alvaro Arbeloa, is that something you are looking for in every position?

Yes, clearly. It is important for me to have one, two or even three players who can play in one position or different positions and compete for their place.

When did you first become aware of him?

The season before last we were watching him and we knew he would be a good addition. But we made our move this year because it was a better situation in terms of the contracts, so it was straightforward.

You've been back in training a week or so now, how satisfied are you with things so far?

I'm really pleased. The commitment of the players is fantastic. Sometimes you need to stop them because they play with a very high tempo. I'm really pleased and it's normal at the start of the season for everyone to be eager to play. We also have players coming back next week, but with the ones we have here this week we are really pleased.

Today marks a year since Fernando Torres signed for the club. How would you reflect on his first year at Liverpool?

I think everyone knows he has been fantastic for us. We have our good memories about the day he arrived and how well he has done. I am really, really happy with him and hopefully he will be even better next season - if that is possible.

And finally, your thoughts on the first pre-season game at Tranmere next week?

The first game is always important. It will be close to our people and interesting for Merseyside, so we will try to do well.

Liverpool target £3m keeper Diego Cavalieri

LIVERPOOL are poised to land £3m Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri from Palmeiras.

The Reds confirmed today they are in negotiations with the player and his club and hope to announce his signing next week.

His arrival will signal the departure of Scott Carson, back at Melwood this week after a year-long loan at Aston Villa.

Rafa Benitez is trying to juggle his financial resources as the saga over Gareth Barry’s proposed transfer shows no sign of reaching a conclusion.

The sale of Carson could generate around £10m to boost his hunt for other players, while Portsmouth are believed to be ready to table an increased offer of nearer £10m for striker Peter Crouch.

But Cavalieri looks like he could follow Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena into Anfield even before those deals are done.

The 26-year-old is already in Europe to secure a work permit and hopes to sign once that paperwork is out of the way.
    Cavalieri is currently second choice goalkeeper to Palmeiras legend Marcos, but has made more than 100 first team appearances since his debut in 2002.

Standing six feet four, he was linked with a move to Inter Milan before the Nerazzurri opted for fellow Brazilian Julio Cesar instead.

Palmeiras coach Wanderley Luxemburgo has allowed him to miss his club’s pre-season training camp in order to travel to Europe.

Fabio Aurelio became the first Brazilian to play for the Reds when he signed from Valencia two summers ago.

Meanwhile, Charles Itandje’s briefly unimpressive stay at Liverpool is set to end with a switch to Galatasaray.

Benitez has struggled to find adequate cover for first choice Pepe Reina, with Itandje, Daniele Padelli and Nikolai Mihailov all enjoying fleeting careers at Anfield – and Scott Carson proving too good to spend his time in the reserves.

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That interview with Rafa is interesting. Particularly the part where he mentions the full backs providing the width. May lend credence to the idea of Keane being sought to play on the right side of a front 3 with the full back being asked to bomb on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

degan as our right winger?is it possible rafa see's him in that alves type role.

German pundits rate him as great going forward but cant defend for shi##

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement