Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It costs more to bring in a top-class attacker than it does a top-class midfielder or defender. When Rafa has been given the money to pursue his top targets, he hasnt disappointed.

Our whole summer spending seems to hinge on Alonso/Barry. Juve seem to be cooling on Alonso, whereas Barry is looking like a question of 'when', not 'if'. If we can shift Alonso, as well as Crouch, I'd be hopeful of another big attacking signing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Poyet - We can't lose Keane
    Tottenham Hotspur assistant manager Gus Poyet says the club 'can't afford' to lose Robbie Keane.

The striker has been linked with a move to Liverpool, with reports claiming Rafa Benitez wants to pair the Irishman with Fernando Torres.

Having sold Jermain Defoe to Portsmouth in January, Poyet is aware the club can not risk depleting their attacking options any further.

And Poyet admits it is vital that Keane is at White Hart Lane next season to continue his profitable partnership with Dimitar Berbatov.

"I was shocked when I heard him being linked with Liverpool - he's a very important player for us," Poyet told the Daily Star Sunday.

"We can't afford to let Robbie go.

"We have lost Jermain Defoe and, hopefully, Dimitar Berbatov will stay.

"If we lost Robbie it would be too much."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3784278,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Atlético Move For Silva And Van Der Vaart

Atlético de Madrid have made bids for David Silva and Rafael Van der Vaart and are waiting for a response after promising to make at least one surprise signing this summer.

Los Colchoneros have already added four new players to their ranks, but have yet to make their annual headline maker, but have now made their first move, according to El Mundo Deportivo.

Valencia have already stated publicly that Silva is not for sale, but given the financial difficulties at the club Atlético's reported €20m bid may make them think twice.

A campaign by ché fans to keep the Spanish international has been set up and selling to a club that are seen as equals would not down well with them.

According to the story, Atlético have also offered €15m to try and prise Van der Vaart away from Hamburg, but if that is accepted then a host of other clubs would also make their interest known.

The Dutchman has often said that a move to Spain, where he has family, appeals, but new Hamburg boss Martin Jol does not want to see one of his stars leave this summer.

Atlético's president, Enrique Cerezo, has announced that he wants to make a signing that will stir the passions of the fans and signal their intent to impress upon their return to the Champions League.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=765239

I really hope Van der Vaart signs for us........would love to see this and this on a regular basis at Anfield:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Unfortunately we have about as much chance of getting him at Anfield as we do Maradonna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Unfortunately we have about as much chance of getting him at Anfield as we do Maradonna.

Not sure if its that much off-the-walls. He's one of the players that we've been linked with over the summer (him and about 93 others!).

Anyways, my post was more about Silva, cos there's been a lot of talk about him on this thread over the last few weeks.

My desire for VDV is more to do with his better half:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I love this crazy ****er. imagine the craic if we win the league :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

can u translate that?
    thats mad.

supposedly, camarero means waiter, so he is calling a waiter, then ordering food, and making a song out of watever food it is. something like that.

Its a play on words. It doesnt make sense...or at least isnt funny, in English. Hes playing the part of someone eating at a restaurant. Hes ordering food and each order leads into a new song.

Definitely need a Reina Camarero song!

p.s Ronaldiniho spotted at Melwood :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Tusky wrote: »
    p.s Ronaldiniho spotted at Melwood :P

no way:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I'm in shock

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

he was looking for directions to Tranmere. Ronaldo also spotted, sure we might as well throw in Joey Barton as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

hamnegg wrote: »
    he was looking for directions to Tranmere. Ronaldo also spotted, sure we might as well throw in Joey Barton as well

Heard a rumour that Kaka was spotted drinking a pint of beamish in a pub in
    bootle with snoop dogg and shane mcgowen.
    Could be quite the attacking trio next season ;)

IrishMike wrote: »
    snoop dogg

get it right will ya?!

twas snoogy doogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So potentially we're looking at something like this for next season...

Reina

Arbeloa----Agger---Carragher---Dossena

Masch----Barry

Stevie

Keane
    Babel

Nando

as a starting 11...

To be honest it looks like a decent team and we'll have a very solid bench but once again I think we'll have a major lack of width. Arbeloa is ok going forward but his crossing is not exactly amazing. I've only seen Dossena play about 4 times and he looked decent. Not as quick as the likes of Evra or Clichy though.

In the middle of the park we're as good if not better than anyone else and obviously in Nando we have possibly the best striker on the planet but I just don't know if as a whole it'll be enought to really challenge for the league. We REALLY need Babel to keep improving to have a shot. He's the key in my opinion. Kyut got a lot of stick last year but we were decent on the rightside imo. It was the leftside that we struggled with, and it has been that way for a good while now. We need that outlet to compete in the big league games (where we slipped up last year, 4 points from a possible 18 is awful!)

Personally I think Keane would be excellent in the role Kyut played last year. He's more than willing to run his socks off and he certainly has more creativity than Dirk aswell. I'd also wager that, despite stats like that mad one from the Euros where Kyut was the fastest player on the park, that he'd bring more pace aswell. Defo upgrade if we could land him. One concern would be that Keane has a tendancy to drift around the park which wouldn't really be possible he played in this formation unless the others are all on the same page and cover when needed.

Who do you guys reckon will be our starting CB's this year? I reckon we start with Carra and Agger but by Jan I wouldn't be shocked if Skrytl has forced Jamie out of the side.

Regardless if we can demote the likes of Kyut to the bench then we'll have a lot more options for substitutions that can actually make an impact next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Reina

Arbeloa----Agger---Carragher---Dossena

Masch----Barry

Stevie

Keane
    Babel

Nando

the best thing about the above is that keane can push up top and kuyt/pennant/benny can play wide if torres gets a knock. Keane gives us a lot of options and with todays supposed sale of Crouch for £10m we should go all guns for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    by Jan I wouldn't be shocked if Skrytl has forced Jamie out of the side.

I would be. Carra brings a huge amount of experience to each game and is very vocal during games, organising the defence. Without him you'd have very little experience in the back line. Additionally he is a leader - his attitude drags players on and up with him. Besides, it's not like he relies on pace for his game anyway so another year at his age won't make much difference. I mean look at Paul McGrath - he couldn't really run from his late 20's on and he played on in teh EPL untilhis mid thirties. Carra is in good shape, no long term injury worries so he'll be good for a couple of years yet.

I'd imagine it'll be Carra & one of Skrytl / Agger for the big games with Carra rested for smaller stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I would be. Carra brings a huge amount of experience to each game and is very vocal during games, organising the defence. Without him you'd have very little experience in the back line. Additionally he is a leader - his attitude drags players on and up with him. Besides, it's not like he relies on pace for his game anyway so another year at his age won't make much difference. I mean look at Paul McGrath - he couldn't really run from his late 20's on and he played on in teh EPL untilhis mid thirties. Carra is in good shape, no long term injury worries so he'll be good for a couple of years yet.

I'd imagine it'll be Carra & one of Skrytl / Agger for the big games with Carra rested for smaller stuff

Agreed.Carra is going nowhere at the moment.He will be a first choice for the big games and will rest up for your wigan's,Newcastle's etc....Will be great to have Agger back next season.Here's hoping he comes back the same player he was before his terrible injury.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i wouldnt be totally surprised to see carra out of the team by this time next season.He had a poorer season by his high standards and the two others(agger and skertl)and very impressive.
    Its great to think that if anything happened to Carra that two of the leagues best defenders will just slot right in.
    Who makes the best partner for him...agger or skertl or will rafa go crazy and play a back 3 to still give gerrard a free role behind nando,just a thought.

I dunno, he needs to adjust his passing game a bit imo. I love Carra, I really do but his penchant for lumping the ball up top doesn't fit the current system. I still think he'll be in the team for the most part but I wouldn't be shocked to see him rotate between playing alongside Agger/Skyrtle and playing at RB. And in all fairness he's awesome but he's no McGrath.

I also expect Reina to be more vocal next season. It's something he improved on last year and clearly he's very well respected and liked in the dressing room. Defo need him to become a leader on the team.

• Advertisement

The idea of 3 CBs had crossed my mind as well, with wing backs adding the width. It would fit the players and teh things Rafa has been saying about the way he want's the full backs to play. I'm not convinced it'll happen but it's an option.

Carra being out of teh team ny the Xmas after next is a different thing - by then he'll be 32 (if I have my maths right) and Agger and Skrtyl will have a couple of seasons of PL fotball under thier belts so I could see him getting rested a little more often. I agee on Reina as well - big character and vocal on the pitch but you need a leader in the field as well.

As for Carra versus McGrath - oooo that's tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

As for Carra versus McGrath - oooo that's tough!

Paul McGrath?

Get a bleedin' grip would you.

McGrath was a hundred times the player Carragher is, even with a bottle of whiskey in him.

DesF wrote: »
    Paul McGrath?

McGrath was a hundred times the player Carragher is, even with a bottle of whiskey in him.

Oh lord i'm agreeing with Des... can I retract my statement... :)

Andy Reid is world class, he'd walk into the Pool team, we should buy him instead of Barry... dammit it's like ebola is spreading so fast I ca't stop!

El Cucho will appear in here now to agree with the above ^

Oh lord i'm agreeing with Des... can I retract my statement... :)

In time, everyone does. Don't fight it.
    Andy Reid is world class, he'd walk into the Pool team, we should buy him instead of Barry... dammit it's like ebola is spreading so fast I ca't stop!

I hope you aren't insinuating that I ever said that Andy Reid is World Class. Dude, I'm not estie.

Paul McGrath?

First up I thought we were supposed to argue posts not posters but I'll attempt to "get a bleeding grip" and answer you...

I wasn't talking about them just in terms of skill - McGrath was a fantastic ball player and undervalued his own ability hugely. Carra isn't in his league in terms of what he can do with a ball.

But I was (tounge in cheek) saying I wouldn't want to choose between them. Carra is immense for LFC and it's not just about what he does on the pitch. He's a local lad made good. he has no airs and graces, despite the plaudits he seems normal. Basically he is the sort of player you'd like to think you'd be if you had his talent and - like Fowler - he has a real empathy with the fans. When we won teh shootout in Istanbul Carra didn't run to his teammates, he ran to the crowd.

And on the field he works for the shirt - again he shows passion and commitment and pride and all teh old fashioned values that LFC used to be about, he embodies the club in a way that Torres - for all his talent and value and importance - never will.

McGrath is a legend, a great player and immense for Ireland. But he was a Utd player, he was a drinker and - as Alex Ferguson said you have to wonder how good he could have been. With Carra he has made the most of his gifts, so it's a choice between the talented but troubled or the honest but limited. In a different context it's Dalglish or Best. And that's why it's hard to choose between them.

In time, everyone does. Don't fight it.

I hope you aren't insinuating that I ever said that Andy Reid is World Class. Dude, I'm not estie.

No but you two confuse me with your similarities... :D I'm not mistaken in thinking you do rate Reid quite highly though right?? Or am I imagining stuff again?

No but you two confuse me with your similarities... :D

Reported.

I'm not mistaken in thinking you do rate Reid quite highly though right?? Or am I imagining stuff again?

No more highly than I'd rate any other Irish international.

ie, not very highly at all.

Reported.

No more highly than I'd rate any other Irish international.

ie, not very highly at all.

Man i'm getting old so... could have sworn... Can't believe i'm going to have to research before posting from no on... nah i think i'll just keep making bogus assumptions.

sorry about that one DeEsteban...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

So Crouch definitely goin to Portsmouth[pending medical].
    Portsmouth will pay £8m up front if the deal goes through as expected, and that figure could rise to £11m over the course of Crouch’s contract at Portsmouth with lucrative add-ons having been included in the proposed deal.
    Lucrative add-ons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

They probably mean should portsmouth win the league and or CL ;)
    In other words we get £8m and a few other quid if they qualify for europe again.

wohoo TB is back, no more of the Prentice clown!

I actually think Torres talks to the press too much. Theres a new interview with him every couple of days!

I actually think Torres talks to the press too much. Theres a new interview with him every couple of days!

in fairness, that wasnt true at all during the season, and he was obviously in demand after the Euros.

I think YOU talk too much ;)

• Advertisement

Its not the real press tho...

The guy is in demand, he's clearly being lined up to take Ronaldos position of Media darling should the Portugeezer saunter off to Madrid (fingers crossed!!).

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, that wasnt true at all during the season, and he was obviously in demand after the Euros.

I think YOU talk too much ;)

Yeah, but the journalists dont want to talk to me :(
    Its not the real press tho...

The guy is in demand, he's clearly being lined up to take Ronaldos position of Media darling should the Portugeezer saunter off to Madrid (fingers crossed!!).

Ballague is a journalist...a member of the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Is it just me or is it awfully poor journalism.

[What did you learn from] the man in the street?
    [What did you learn from] your dogs?

Come on, is that the best he can come up with?

i dont think he counts quite like a beat reporter and is seen more as a friend or something.Miguel Delaney mentioned this in the tribune,when the ordinary journo's looked for a quote they were blanked yet torres stopped after a game to sign two jerseys for balague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So farewell then Crouchy
    Your feet stuck out the beddy
    Your goals were scrappy or greaty
    We've sold you back to Harry at Pompey
    For about nine million pounds.

EJ Thribb (aged 17 and a half)

Mike.

• Advertisement

That is ****e mike :)

from the official

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160437080707-1240.htm

hopefully we get barry sewn up asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One of the best ITKs on the Spurs sites saying Keane is staying at Spurs.

No firm bid in from Liverpool, though related discussions did take place where Spurs priced Liverpool out of the move. Keane said to be happy to accept decision and continue at WHL.

There is a suspicion that the Keane story was used to push Pompey along on Crouch deal.

Take it as you see fit.

Sorry what I meant by that was it's a fluff piece. Basically a chit chat with a mate which means nothing and adds nothing new to anything we should care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not a bad price imo at 10 million considering he only has a year left on his contract. Benetiz must be looking at at least another attacker now, realistically 2.

i see rafa only buying one more attacker and instead a decent winger...but personally im worried seeing us linked with riera and downing

I wouldnt mind Downing tbh.

just listening to the world football podcast and tim vickery says that the keeper from brazil we are after reminds him of paul robinson....:eek:
    described him as good not great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On that link I posted earlier, it also says
    Meanwhile, Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri has arrived on Merseyside as Benitez edges closer to tieing up a deal which will see the 25-year-old become Pepe Reina’s understudy.

Cavalieri was given permission to miss Palmeiras’ league match against Atletico Mineiro at the weekend after Liverpool agreed a £3m transfer fee with his club.
    Looks like Carson will definitely be moving on so, just hope he's sold, not another loan deal. Any one know what's left on his current contract?

that'll do me, good not great is wat any backup keep will be. with the exception of Cudicini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

that'll do me, good not great is wat any backup keep will be. with the exception of Cudicini.

Cudicini is in no way great, he is probably the best backup keeper i can think off though and i would say most clubs would take him as their no. 1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement