Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus have you got 50 million handy?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Let me ring the credit union and ill get back to you on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, he's about the only one who could save Liverpool now alright. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No but I still expect aboput 50m worth of players to come in this summer..

No but I still expect aboput 50m worth of players to come in this summer..

Me too but i also expect at least 30m of players to leave with crouch(10m) and
    Alonso (15m) being the big casualties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Considering Barry may be 15million or so, how come there's not more interest in Lampard at 6.5million (according to todays Herald am!)? Is it that the price would be much higher if it was to an English club, or that Chelsea wouldn't sell him to an English club? Or is it just the wages would be too high? I know Lamps may not be able to play with Gerard, but for only 6.5million what a back up player to have if Gerard was to get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Considering Barry may be 15million or so, how come there's not more interest in Lampard at 6.5million (according to todays Herald am!)? Is it that the price would be much higher if it was to an English club, or that Chelsea wouldn't sell him to an English club? Or is it just the wages would be too high? I know Lamps may not be able to play with Gerard, but for only 6.5million what a back up player to have if Gerard was to get injured.
    But think how much he would cost in catering. The LFC canteen staff would be run off their feet :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

get real :p, do you honestly think that

a) there is any chance chelsea would sell him to a top 4 rival

b) there is any chance he would join liverpool to play 2nd fiddle to stevie G

Chelsea may be prepared to let him go abroad on the cheap as he has one year left on his contract and he is 29 now, but he wont be playing for another premier league side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Shamrok wrote: »
    Alonso is reported by the Italian press tonight as saying he does not want to leave Liverpool, that he is happy there and he wants to win the Premier League - that's his only goal.

Source

Excellent news.Now lets get on and sign a winger and a striker and push for the league next year

malice_ wrote: »
    But think how much he would cost in catering. The LFC canteen staff would be run off their feet :).

roffle :D

piesmall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Cyrus wrote: »
    get real :p, do you honestly think that

a) there is any chance chelsea would sell him to a top 4 rival

b) there is any chance he would join liverpool to play 2nd fiddle to stevie G

Chelsea may be prepared to let him go abroad on the cheap as he has one year left on his contract and he is 29 now, but he wont be playing for another premier league side

Completely agree. Just seems wrong from a business sense that Barry and Lampards values can be so different. Imagine if Xavi and Iniesta were valued at 15 and 6 mill, if you were having difficulty getting the one for 15, wouldn't you go for the one for 6?

Completely agree. Just seems wrong from a business sense that Barry and Lampards values can be so different. Imagine if Xavi and Iniesta were valued at 15 and 6 mill, if you were having difficulty getting the one for 15, wouldn't you go for the one for 6?

chelsea dont have to take financial considerations into account, if they dont need him makes sense to get a few quid and sell him abroad, plus legally he could buy out the last yr of his contract for around that price

Remember madrid getting owen for 8m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

no thanks to lamps btw!

how come Milan dont have to release Kaka for Brazil and we have to lose Masch and Lucas?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW13177080708-0927.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

barry is no way worth 15 million,sure alonso was bought for 10 and hes twice the player barry is,granted his form has diped..but c'mon villa wanting 18mil is ridiculous

scruff321 wrote: »
    barry is no way worth 15 million,sure alonso was bought for 10 and hes twice the player barry is,granted his form has diped..but c'mon villa wanting 18mil is ridiculous

Jesus **** this has been addressed a thousand times. Every argument possible for and against it have been done to death.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

people are still entitled to voice their opinion, especially now that it looks like a deal is imminent. I didn't voice my opinion much about the issue up to this point because to be honest there is no point until a bid is accepted. Rumours are that it has been so now my 2 cents.

Barry is a good player, but seriously, "if" we turn out to be as strapped for cash as we are being lead to believe, I will be extremely pissed off that we paid 18m sterling for Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Rafa Benitez tells Liverpool youngsters: Show me you're ready for first team

Jul 8 2008

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA Benitez today challenged his promising youngsters to use Liverpool's pre-season programme to prove themselves ready for first team football.

The Reds boss has been impressed by the progress made by reserve team starlets such as Krisztian Nemeth, Damien Plessis, Emiliano Insua and Dani Pacheco over the last 12 months and now he is throwing down the gauntlet to them to make the next step up.

Both Plessis and Insua have already tasted first team action towards the end of last season and Benitez believes they must now show they are ready to build on their hitherto limited experience.

And he has given teenage forward Pacheco a vote of confidence by including him in the early stages of his pre-season training programme at Melwood.

Nemeth has already trained with the first team but his preparations for the season with Liverpool have been complicated by a call up to the Hungary squad for the European under-19 championships in the Czech Republic later this month.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-tells-liverpool-youngsters-show-me-you-re-ready-for-first-team%26method=full%26objectid=21304076%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

dardoz wrote: »
    Barry is a good player, but seriously, "if" we turn out to be as strapped for cash as we are being lead to believe, I will be extremely pissed off that we paid 18m sterling for Barry.

15m with a further 500k in add ons.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    15m with a further 500k in add ons.

Well it is reported as including Finnan in the deal. Based on that I think it still works out at a value of around 3m

• Advertisement

you cant realistically expect to buy the captain of a club, standout english international, who featured in the PL team of the year, his club trying to catch up with you, his owner not needing to sell, his manager not wanting to let him go.....for less than 15.5m?

Finnan is very expendable to us, he would be on decent money and would have gotten **** all, if any game time next year.

you cant realistically expect to buy the captain of a club, standout english international, who featured in the PL team of the year, his club trying to catch up with you, his owner not needing to sell, his manager not wanting to let him go.....for less than 15.5m?

Finnan is very expendable to us, he would be on decent money and would have gotten **** all, if any game time next year.

Standout English international?
    Are you serious....
    Against who Trinidad?
    Unproven international to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IrishMike wrote: »
    Are you serious....
    Against who Trinidad?

To be fair he's played most of Englands games over the last 6 - 8 months, and done better then most of the 'stars'.

Are you serious....
    Against who Trinidad?

That unproven that one of the most regarded managers in the world him captain and is considering him for the position permanently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

standout english international.

He has 20 caps over his 8 years as an English International. Thats 2.5 apperances a year. A lot of them would have been substitute apperances. He has never played in a world cup or european cup.

Please tell me how on earth he is a stand out English International ? Hes about as much a standout English international as Clinton Morrison is a standout Irish International! Mr Morrison has almost twice as many International caps than him!

That unproven that one of the most regarded managers in the world him captain and is considering him for the position permanently?

Please god tell me you are joking?
    There is a better chance of Mr Alan becomming the England captain.
    Not gonna happen when Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, G Neville etc are all still alive.
    He hasnt even cemented down a regular starting position for crying out loud.
    Tusky wrote: »
    He has 20 caps over his 8 years as an English International. Thats 2.5 apperances a year. A lot of them would have been substitute apperances. He has never played in a world cup or european cup.

Please tell me how on earth he is a stand out English International ? Hes about as much a standout English international as Clinton Morrison is a standout Irish International! Mr Morrison has almost twice as many International caps than him!

Couldnt have put it better myself

• Advertisement

Compare the oppurtunities that he has got to those that Carragher got..

Do you think Carragher is good enough? Pretty sure Villa fans regard Barry in the same way that we regard Carra..

The deal is going to happen. Rafa knows what he is doing. Can we please stop going around in circles and move on.

Do you think Carragher is good enough? Pretty sure Villa fans regard Barry in the same way that we regard Carra..

The deal is going to happen. Rafa knows what he is doing. Can we please stop going around in circles and move on.

Ive accepted the deal is going to happen, but I cant just sit here and let Mr Alan call him a standout English International! :P

p.s even Jamie Carragher has 34 caps.

Someone_Is_Wrong_On_The_Internet.jpg

Please god tell me you are joking?
    There is a better chance of Mr Alan becomming the England captain.
    Not gonna happen when Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, G Neville etc are all still alive.
    He hasnt even cemented down a regular starting position for crying out loud.

The fact that he was given captain is comclusive proof of how highly Capello regards him... Are you disputing that fact?

It has also been reported in the papers that is is one of four being considered with the four being Gerard, Ferdinand, Terry and Barry.

If I am not mistaken, he is also 1 of 4 players to have been given the captains arm band since Capello took over.

All the above are reasonable assertions and the 1st and 3rd cannot be disputed at all.

Couldnt have put it better myself

Wouldn't expect any better to be honest.

Compare a players oppurtunities in one of the most talented midfields in the world consisting of Gerard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Carrick, Beckham, Cole and god knows who else to a players oppurtunities in a forward line that had one player that was of any real quality and had the likes of Gary ****ing Doherty in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Someone_Is_Wrong_On_The_Internet.jpg

Brilliant:D

Compare a players oppurtunities in one of the most talented midfields in the world consisting of Gerard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Carrick, Beckham, Cole and god knows who else to a players oppurtunities in a forward line that had one player that was of any real quality and had the likes of Gary ****ing Doherty in it.

The comparison to Clinton Morrison was a joke. I just dont think Gareth Barry has done enough on the international scene to be called a stand out international. As Ive said, hes never played in a tournament, never scored a competitive goal...and never really done anything really.

Hes played well in friendlys recently and may go on to do good things with England but you cant call him a standout International. I would also bet my house on him not being chosen as captain of England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

He's not worth anything over 10 million IMO. The fact he's an England international always adds to the asking price. Short Sighted O'Neill is just playing silly beggers at this stage because he's dellusional that Villa are actually gonna break into the top 4.

Look at Crouch, 11 million !? For a useless lanky streak !

Aldini98 wrote: »
    He's not worth anything over 10 million IMO. The fact he's an England international always adds to the asking price. Short Sighted O'Neill is just playing silly beggers at this stage because he's dellusional that Villa are actually gonna break into the top 4.

Disagree with all of the above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads in all fairness... whatever happened to "In Rafa we trust"?????

Okay, with Lucas and Masch going to the olympics we need a central pairing and that IMO will be Alonso and Barry. Maybe Alonso might play well with Barry but maybe not.

Either way we look at it Barry's price is set so we can either buy him or not and that is what Rafa is trying to do and get the best deal possible for him. In all fairness he is a better player than Bent who went for 16Mill and never done too much. I think Barry will make a very good imediate impact on the first team with him being a solid performer so only when we get through at least part of the season can we judge if he is worth the money we paid or not.

No carragher was not up to international level and was not good enough to
    dislodge Ferdinand or Terry and as a result he didnt play much international
    football. The same is true of Barry. He is not better than Hargreaves, Gerrard
    Lampard etc and as a result he has played very little for England.
    He is on a par with Carrick IMHO who i think is an average player.

If Alonso doesnt go to Juve, the deal will not go through.
    The fact that he was given captain is comclusive proof of how highly Capello regards him... Are you disputing that fact?

Wes Brown played every game under Capellos reign, do you think he is an
    international class player? I sure dont.
    It has also been reported in the papers that is is one of four being considered with the four being Gerard, Ferdinand, Terry and Barry.

If I am not mistaken, he is also 1 of 4 players to have been given the captains arm band since Capello took over.

He is one of the 4 to get the armband, for half a game against Trinidad.
    Beckham got it for the 2nd half, neither of which will be England captain.

He has had limited opportunities because those players are better than him.
    He is not world class, he is just starting to find his feet at international level
    despite being 27.
    Do you not think that tells you something about him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Aldini98 wrote: »

Crouch, a useless lanky streak?? Sorry, have you actually woken up from a coma that you fell into when Crouch was playing under David O' Leary??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Egads! Parry is on the council of the new G14 thang - the ECA. How does he keep getting these gigs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7494348.stm

One of the first steps will be "re-branding" the UEFA Cup as the Europa Cup. Am I the only one who thinks that's an infinitely tackier and worthless name?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Crouch, a useless lanky streak?? Sorry, have you actually woken up from a coma that you fell into when Crouch was playing under David O' Leary??

22 goals in 85 games for liverpool of which 30 were appearances a sub is a damn fine record.
    His england record is almost unrivalled with 14 goals in 28 appearances.
    I wish i was as usless as that lanky streak
    Also wish i had his missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

22 goals in 85 games for liverpool of which 30 were appearances a sub is a damn fine record.
    His england record is almost unrivalled with 14 goals in 28 appearances.
    I wish i was as usless as that lanky streak
    Also wish i had his missus

Yeah, i agree. It wasn't actually me who was calling him that, i was just responding to the poster who did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He did go something like 19 games without scoring though, didnt he?

11 million is a great price for him, considering that he's in the last year of his contract. Look at Lampard going for a rumoured 6.5, or Mickey Owen going for 8 million.

He did go something like 19 games without scoring though, didnt he?

11 million is a great price for him, considering that he's in the last year of his contract. Look at Lampard going for a rumoured 6.5, or Mickey Owen going for 8 million.

Makes his record seem even better than Nekkid when you exclude his first 20 games.
    £11m is an outstanding price for a player looking for a move and in the last year of his contract.

• Advertisement

Those slaggin GB by the way over his standout performances for England...anyone who has seen his his last number of performances for them can only attest to how good he has been. I dont give a **** about the opposition, half the **** in the PL that we drop points to?! Reading?!Blackburn?!Fulham?! someone who performs consistantly well against poor opposition will be a step up for us. Barry has the added bonus of playing well against good teams too for Villa over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

barry fee agreed

£15m plus finnan

Helix wrote: »
    barry fee agreed

£15m plus finnan

source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

already done - PHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    source?

a reliable itk

give it an hour or 2 and im sure itll be leaked in right style

Those slaggin GB by the way over his standout performances for England...anyone who has seen his his last number of performances for them can only attest to how good he has been. I dont give a **** about the opposition, half the **** in the PL that we drop points to?! Reading?!Blackburn?!Fulham?! someone who performs consistantly well against poor opposition will be a step up for us. Barry has the added bonus of playing well against good teams too for Villa over the years.

He was ****e against France.
    Played well for 45 mins against Trinidad against a midfield to which
    Dwight Yorke is normally a regular.
    He is not the international player you are making him out to be by a long shot.
    Oh and if carrick and hargreaves were fit he wouldnt have started those 4
    games as he is not first choice in the England midfield despite being 27.
    Not really sure why you are so excited about this transfer al :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Who cares if he playes well for england once he plays well for liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

id be willing to say that if all players are fit and if gareth barry is playing football (ie wiht liverpool) he will start fabio capellos first competitive game

to me, that would prove he is an england regular under capello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't forget Gareth Barry is left footed. Given that Kewell and Riise are gone, Aurelio is injury-prone, Leto is having passport problems and Insua is pretty much unproven, we don't have many options at all for that side of the pitch. I'm pretty sure Barry used to play left back and probably has played left midfield so I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in those positions rather than central midfield especially if Alonso stays.

Fingers crossed as well that Lucas and Mascherano both get through the Olympics safely. Hopefully both Brazil and Argentina get knocked out in the first round :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

malice_ wrote: »
    Don't forget Gareth Barry is left footed. Given that Kewell and Riise are gone, Aurelio is injury-prone, Leto is having passport problems and Insua is pretty much unproven, we don't have many options at all for that side of the pitch. I'm pretty sure Barry used to play left back and probably has played left midfield so I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in those positions rather than central midfield especially if Alonso stays.

Fingers crossed as well that Lucas and Mascherano both get through the Olympics safely. Hopefully both Brazil and Argentina get knocked out in the first round :).

we have dossena and Arbeloa and Degen can play there if required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement