Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Liverpool are interested in signing Valencia's Spanish international winger David Silva. (The Sun)

Reds manager Rafael Benitez has turned his attention to Silva after baulking at Valencia's £32m valuation of striker David Villa. (The Sun)

Benitez's transfer plans have taken a further knock after Juventus hinted they will not pay £15m for midfielder Xabi Alonso.

That could affect Liverpool's chances of raising the cash to sign Aston Villa's Gareth Barry. (The Sun)

****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm sure a lot of Liverpool fans would be unhappy for Rafa to spend 18 million pounds on Barry if Alonso was still in the squad.
    Personally I would be unhappy spending £18 million on Barry full stop :).
    It also leaves Barry and Aston Villa in a quandry, should we choose not to buy. By all accounts, Barry is a professional and maintains a good relationship with the Aston Villa squad, but how is his relationship with O'Neill? There was some pretty harsh criticism from both sides, and it could make things awkward if they're both still there next season.
    That would actually be quite funny, especially if Villa go and get Sidwell as Barry's replacement.
    Guillem Ballague also reckons that Rafa name-dropping Villa was simply a smokescreen to distract attention from Keano. I'm not sure what to make of this. Every other player we're linked with is labelled a "smokescreen", it's getting quite tiresome!
    Interesting theory. Maybe Ramos would be willing to let Keane go if he is certain that Berbatov will remain at Spurs? That's the cue for Berbatov's transfer to Man Utd. to go through this afternoon of course :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Or perhaps Rafa is playing games with Spurs. Spurs are supposedly after Villa, so he may be trying to force Spurs into doing a deal for Keane,or face competition for Villa. That's all conjecture though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

barry,xabi,masch with gerrard playing as a second striker.Be nice to have that possibility but is very unlikely.
    The silva link is nice but i'd be a little worried about his size in the premiership.

I personally would be very happy if we got keane and downing/an other decent winger.Im not a huge fan of downing but he is a step up from what we have out wide.

A total of keane,downing,degan,dossena and barry would be great summer for us.Its not about signing the big players as rafa says its about the right players.Hopefully all the above come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Shamelessly stolen from ynwa.tv

Basically depending on your mood today, select from the wide array of differing opinion :P
    Gareth Barry is "set to finally secure" his £18m move from Aston Villa to Liverpool "in the next few days" after the two clubs re-opened negotiations yesterday. Neither of the issues still to be resolved - Steve Finnan's valuation & the timing of the payments - "are insurmountable". Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to resolve the matter "as quickly as possible" & wants to draw a line under it - he is also "more relaxed about the situation" now that Villa have signed Steve Sidwell to replace Barry. Liverpool also "feel they are in a position to push ahead" with the deal, having sold Peter Crouch. Charles Itandje is "on the verge of being sold to Galatasaray for around £2m". Although Valencia "are willing to sell" Liverpool target David Villa, he "appears to want to remain in Spain".
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...eal-863767.html

Negotiations for Barry "remain deadlocked" over the valuation of Finnan & may not be resolved this week. With Crouch's sale Liverpool "could easily bow to all of Villa's demands", but they "insist" that Villa must meet their valuation of Finnan. However, Rafa "remains optimistic" that Barry will sign, but "the delay in his arrival is a cause of frustration". Diego Cavalieri should complete his move from Palmeiras "within days".
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...0/sfnast110.xml

Villa are "awaiting a response from Liverpool" to their letter valuing Barry at £18m or £17m, payable over the course of 12 months, plus Finnan.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/ju...a.premierleague

Barry "could be on his way to Liverpool within days".
    http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-bir...65233-21315507/

Liverpool "are seeking a swift conclusion to the Gareth Barry transfer saga, although Xabi Alonso’s future is in limbo with Juventus considering their interest in the Spanish international". Rafa is also tracking Robbie Keane & David Silva.
    http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverp...64375-21315668/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'll eat my hat if Spurs sign Villa.

Mike do you really need to quote 4 transfer rumours from that poxy paper?

No i dont need to, and it was only 3 ;);)
    Rumours are rumours, its better to discuss off the wall transfer happenings than another 15
    pages about barry will he or wont he dont you think?

I'm sure there is rumours is plenty of other papers that are worth discussing.

****-i'll make rumours up daily if you like, probably be more accurate that that ****ebag paper.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'll eat my hat if Spurs sign Villa.

/QUOTE]

What kind of hat?

In fairness to the sun, their £32m was probably was I was expecting for Villa
    Benitez's transfer plans have taken a further knock after Juventus hinted they will not pay £15m for midfielder Xabi Alonso. That could affect Liverpool's chances of raising the cash to sign Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

However this one is so vague as to be effectively meaningless. ^^^
    Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is ready to offload a whole team of players - plus five substitutes. Sixteen players, including Robbie Keane and Pascal Chimbonda, could be sold as Spurs look to raise £15m to sign Blackburn's David Bentley. (The Sun)

The positive to take out of this was they mentioned Keane and not Berbatov.

However this is my favourite
    Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate insists he can lead the club into the Champions League. (The Sun)

I think Boro are likelier to get relegated than get in the CL. Was Southgate having a laugh or is he delusional?

I'm sure there is rumours is plenty of other papers that are worth discussing.

****-i'll make rumours up daily if you like, probably be more accurate that that ****ebag paper.

Cool
    Let me know when you start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

will we be able to subscribe alan?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

IrishMike wrote: »
    No i dont need to, and it was only 3 ;);)
    Rumours are rumours, its better to discuss off the wall transfer happenings than another 15
    pages about barry will he or wont he dont you think?

No i dont think so.The *** is a piece of sh*t of a paper and please refrain from quoting it on the Liverpool thread.It's disgusting:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jimmy Rice 10 July 2008

Philipp Degen has revealed he's been getting the lowdown on Scousers from an unlikely source – former Kop idol Didi Hamann.
    The right-back got to know Hamann through his agent in the summer and has since gleaned advice on the locals and where he should live in the city.

In his first interview in English football with Liverpoolfc.tv, Degen said: "Didi and his wife gave me a very good report on Liverpool. They were here for seven years and they told me that the people were really good, open and friendly. They said I'd settle in very quickly.

"They've been telling me about the Albert Dock. I have been there but am looking at three or four places to live. The club helps with that kind of thing.

"I also know Stephane Henchoz from the international team but I haven't spoken to him about his time at Liverpool.

"But my first impressions of the city have been great from the start. I am very happy here. Now I am looking forward to success on the football pitch."

Much has been made of Liverpool improving the wide areas this summer to add to a spine which many consider one of the best in Europe.

The challenge of rising up the assist charts is not one that Degen shies away from, however.

Asked what he can add to the squad, he replied: "I have got pace, technical ability and like to think I'm strong going forward. I have to say that I've also already learnt a lot here from Rafa Benitez about how I can develop my game.

"Obviously it's true that I've been brought here as an attacking full-back. Part of my game is to create chances and I'm fully committed to doing this and giving my all to the club.

"I am going to do everything I can for this club and the fans. Hopefully I can help bring them some success this season."

Degen, who has 30 international caps to his name, began training with his new teammates a week ago, including two of those potentially vying for his position: Jamie Carragher and Steve Finnan.

Another right-back, Alvaro Arbeloa, has yet to return to Melwood after Spain's Euro 2008 triumph but Degen is in no doubt about the challenge he faces to nail down a regular first-team slot.

"I've come from playing in Germany so I know about competition for places but I have to look forward to that challenge," said the 25-year-old.

"In comparison to Borussia Dortmund the competition is stronger because maybe there were only two players who could play in a position. But I've not come here to sit on the bench. I'll do everything I can in training to get my place in the team.

"People in the Bundesliga look up to the Premier League, with its speed, aggressiveness and hard tackling. It's a faster game. Every player sees the Premier League as the top league.

"I've only been here a week but I can already see that there is a lot more training with the ball, whereas in Germany it is run, run, run. It's a faster approach here."

Degen may be settling into a new life in a foreign country, but that's not to say everything is new to him.

In fact, he has already experienced the famous Anfield atmosphere on a European night having travelled with the Basel squad which drew 1-1 in the 2002-03 Champions League.

The Swiss defender added: "It's great to be here. This is a great club with great fans. One of the main things for me is being at a club that is always challenging in the league and other competitions.

"I didn't have to think twice about coming here. I played here five years ago with Basel and realised Liverpool were a great club with fantastic fans and a brilliant atmosphere in the stadium.

"I follow the Champions League and you see Liverpool in semi-finals and finals. This has made a big impression on me but it's also about the team, the whole club and the challenge of playing for Liverpool."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

if we sign Silva and Keane it would be the best summer ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hmmmm, dunno to be honest.. it would be hard to top the summer of 2002...

spockety wrote: »
    Hmmmm, dunno to be honest.. it would be hard to top the summer of 2002...

Sorry, if we signed Silva and Keane, and then resigned Salif Diao (we could do with some midfield cover), THEN it would be the best summer ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahhh, to be young!

Summer 1987, John Barnes (£900,000 from Watford) and Peter Beardsley (a record £1.9 million from Newcastle) signed. No disrespect to Silva and Keane but neither rates as highly as those two did at the time, the equivalent would probably be signing Ronaldo and Robiniho today.

Joined in October by Ray Houghton (£825,000 from Oxford) and John Aldridge had joined (also Oxford, £750,000) in Jan '97 to make probably the best 12 months of transfer activity of them all (certainly that I can remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ahhh, to be young!

Summer 1987, John Barnes (£900,000 from Watford) and Peter Beardsley (a record £1.9 million from Newcastle) signed. No disrespect to Silva and Keane but neither rates as highly as those two did at the time, the equivalent would probably be signing Ronaldo and Robiniho today.

Joined in October by Ray Houghton (£825,000 from Oxford) and John Aldridge had joined (also Oxford, £750,000) in Jan '97 to make probably the best 12 months of transfer activity of them all (certainly that I can remember)

87-97, the best 12 months Liverpool ever had!!!;)

Very encouraging article with Rafa in the Echo...
    Rafa Benitez: Title triumph is our top target now
    JUL 10 2008 BY DAVID PRENTICE, LIVERPOOL ECHO
    RAFAEL BENITEZ has won the Champions League and the FA Cup in his four years at Anfield, and just missed out on the League Cup.
    But the Reds boss confirmed today that the one trophy missing from that list, the Premier League title, would be his priority this season.
    “At a club like Liverpool you want to win every trophy. If you said to me to put them in an order of priority, I’d say the Premier League, then the Champions League, the FA Cup and the League Cup,” said Benitez, adding: “We’ll try to win all of them.”
    The Reds finished 11 points adrift of champions Manchester United last season, but Benitez believes that his squad is already better equipped to overhaul that deficit in the coming campaign, with more arrivals imminent.
    “I’m confident this is our best squad we’ve had during my time here,” said the Anfield manager. “We were looking for players to improve our weaknesses. I think we have found some of them, hopefully we can find some in a few days or a few weeks.
    “We have enough confidence. We are hopefully going to be better than last season. We must try to work as hard as before and get as close as possible. If we can challenge, then why can’t we do something more important?”
    New signings Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen were unveiled at Melwood today, and Gareth Barry’s arrival looks increasingly imminent. With Peter Crouch and John Arne Riise heading in the opposite direction, Benitez feels he has changed the balance of his squad for the better.
    “Everyone agreed that we needed to improve in the wide areas,” added Benitez. “We are looking for wingers and we’ve brought in two offensive full-backs in Degen and Dossena, who can go forward and give different options to the strikers.
    “We are working really hard and are close to finishing some deals. We are hoping to progress with some big names and players who can improve us in the future.”

Sounds very positive. Big names? Wingers? League champions? Yes, yes, yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Ahhh, to be young!

Indeed a great 12 months of transfers for Liverpool.....in retrospect. At the start of that season I'm sure few people would have said making those signings would be the best ever 12 months of transfers for Liverpool.

We could sign Dossena, Degen, Barry, Keane and Silva this summer, and could end up winning every trophy there is to win for the next 4 years and dominate club football in Europe! (A little hyperbole people....please no revolts :p). Then you could argue that this summer was our best ever summer of transfers.

Or we could sign Dossena, Degen, Barry (& keep Alonso), Keane, Villa & Silva and still end up finishing in 4th!

The point I'm trying to make is that we can't judge a summer's signings before they've ever played a game for the club.....history will be the judge of that!

....sorry amadeus, not really argueing with your point, more the negativity of some posts here on Rafas signings (and potential signings).

In Rafe We Trust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

rosboy wrote: »
    The point I'm trying to make is that we can't judge a summer's signings before they've ever played a game for the club.....

You cant judge a summers signings before they have signed!

Tusky wrote: »
    You cant judge a summers signings before they have signed!

:P

Signings...or potential signings:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

In Rafa We Trust!

indeed, i <3 Rafa :D

In the most recent twelve month period

Torres 4th July 2007
    Babel 13th July 2007
    Mascherano 20th February 2008
    Skrtel 11th January 2008

Barry 11th July 2008 ?
    Keane 14th July 2008 ?

Even without the last two that's four great signings there.

Throw in the buses full of promising youngsters we've also hoovered up in the last while, things do look bright for the future.

The 6th of July 2007 signing of Voronin we'll skip over for the moment

Just imagine what Benitez could do if he had better funds :cool:

In the most recent twelve month period

Torres 4th July 2007
    Babel 13th July 2007
    Mascherano 20th February 2008
    Skrtel 11th January 2008

Barry 11th July 2008 ?
    Keane 14th July 2008 ?

Even without the last two that's four great signings there.

Throw in the buses full of promising youngsters we've also hoovered up in the last while, things do look bright for the future.

The 6th of July 2007 signing of Voronin we'll skip over for the moment

Just imagine what Benitez could do if he had better funds :cool:

Babel has a bit to do before he can be called a great signing. He did cost 11m. He has the potential, but he hasnt effected the results of games enough to be called a great singing.

• Advertisement

Dossena puts to bed rumours of a 3-5-2 system for next season by saying...
    "The talks I have had with Benitez have mostly been about tactics. He has explained that he wants a four-man defence but that the most important thing is that the balance on the pitch is never broken. There must be balance between the left and right-backs."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/10/andrea-dossena-i-ll-be-so-proud-to-wear-liverpool-shirt-100252-21319149/

Babel - fair enough but I'm expecting big big things of him this season.

Also check out the psycho eyes of Dossena in the pic with Rafa and Degen on the main www.liverpoolfc.tv site. :mad::mad::mad:

Never did think there was much of a chance of a back three - makes sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Advertisement

to be honest, i'd rather saw off my own bollox

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160483080710-1342.htm

Interesting words from Rafa.

Villa is a target but not an option at the moment.
    Keane is one of his other "names". Don't know if by that he means he is also not an option at the moment or not.
    It's all hotting up, that's for sure.

to be honest, i'd rather saw off my own bollox

Get yourself a girlfriend!
    In my experience it only takes them about 3 weeks for them to do it for you!!!!!! :o

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160483080710-1342.htm

Interesting words from Rafa.

Villa is a target but not an option at the moment.
    Keane is one of his other "names". Don't know if by that he means he is also not an option at the moment or not.
    It's all hotting up, that's for sure.
    "We needed full-backs with different qualities and these two players could be good for us. Afterwards maybe you can sign big names and maybe people will be happy, but the priority is to sign the players that you want and need - in this case two full-backs who can give something more to the team."

Sure as hell like the sounds of that!

But wait theres more .....
    £10million ‘Hurricane’ on his way to Liverpool?
    08:32 July, 10, 2008
    Liverpool Football Club are set to make an offer for Juan Arango, according to reports.

The Real Mallorca winger, dubbed ‘The Caribbean Hurricane’ by ESPN’s Luis Omar Tapia, had a fine season last term and admits he is pleased to be linked with the Reds.

"The transfer window will close his doors in two months and many things can happen," he told ABN. "I am aware of many rumours but nothing has been decided yet.

"I owe respect to my current club; as a consequence, speaking of my preference would not be correct. The English league is the best in the world, and I would welcome moving there if it's good for me."

Arango, who has nearly seventy caps for Venezuela, is rated at around £10million by the Spanish club, and this is a fee well within Rafael Benitez’s budget.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=187509

Good player who i really rate.
    Would love to see both him and capel join, combined fee would be around €25m
    which for me would be much better for the team than buying silva or villa for similar amounts.

Oh and just for you Al its a rumour thats not from the sun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PiE wrote: »

Oh man!!!! They probably sell a sh!tload of that sh!te.

Mr.Alan, did you buy all of these http://store.liverpoolfc.tv/products/inthehome/bedroom/torres-kit-cushion-0810/pid-26317 :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dossena puts to bed rumours of a 3-5-2 system for next season by saying...

i'm surprised people even thought those rumours to be true. 3-5-2 is completely obsolete. was useful in the days when two out and out strikers
    were the norm. but nowadays if you play a 3-5-2 you're buggered. you're midfielders need to sit really deep or else the number 10 almost every team plays with now runs rampant in front of the back 3 and tears them to shreds. us football fans are mentalists at times with our gullibility.

which for me would be much better for the team than buying silva or villa for similar amounts.

Spurs seem to be interested too.....

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/tottenham-linked-arango-real-mallorca-st-5511906.html

Holy ****
    Luis garcia linked to spurs!

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/tottenham-agree-deal-luis-garcia-5511939.html

I would be a very very unhappy panda were that to happen :(

is that Luis Garcia the former Liverpool player or the other one?

edit: it's the other one. Luis García Fernández and not Luis Javier García Sanz. were ye linked with Luis García Fernández?

• Advertisement

Holy ****

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/tottenham-agree-deal-luis-garcia-5511939.html

it's a different Luis Garcia, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Holy ****

luis garcia, ex liverpool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Javier_Garcia_Sanz

Luis%20Garc%C3%ADa.jpg

luis garcia, espanyol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Garcia_Fernandez

n_rcd_espanyol_luis_garcia_fernandez-24.jpg

different players, dont worry

Holy ****

Its a done deal according to some reports:

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=770606

....but its not the one who played for us:)

Edit: beaten to it by a few posters:)

Its a done deal according to some reports:

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=770606

....but its not the one who played for us:)

Edit: Event beat me to it:)

He is, by all accounts, better than ours was. Though not as lovely of course.

Thank **** for that!
    Mr Alan would have had a minor stroke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hate when other clubs bring in Spanish players. That's our market, head off!!

He is, by all accounts, better than ours was.

Lies!

No one is better than ours was :cool:

No one is better than ours was :cool:

except for 99% of the footballing population 99% of the time :p

Espanyol's Luis Garcia is more of an out and out striker i thought than the real Luis Garcia? not that it matters of course...

Could be robbie keanes replacement perhaps?

• Advertisement

Rafa saying we are in for Keane but not Villa.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3802081,00.html

Juan Orango, what a name. Know nothing of the guy though. Whats he like ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement