Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

except for 99% of the footballing population 99% of the time :p

Espanyol's Luis Garcia is more of an out and out striker i thought than the real Luis Garcia? not that it matters of course...

I love that, the real Luis Garcia. You better believe it!!! All others are just imposters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Villa is a good player but I am not overly fussed on him for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Villa is a good player but I am not overly fussed on him for some reason.

I think he is as good as any striker around...including Torres, Drogba, Eto'o or Horseface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

IrishMike wrote: »
    Could be robbie keanes replacement perhaps?

Possibly. Berbatov and Bent are linked with moves away too. Could be replacement for either of those two.

REDS CONFIRM DUTCH SIGNING
    Jimmy Rice 10 July 2008

Liverpool Football Club have announced the signing of 17-year-old Dutch forward Vincent Lucas Weijl.

The teenager, who came through the academy at AZ Alkmaar, will battle it out for a place in Gary Ablett's reserves after signing a three-year deal.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160490080710-1647.htm

Another young hotshot for Rafa.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    I think he is as good as any striker around...including Torres, Drogba, Eto'o or Horseface.

I don't actually disagree. I just don't see where he would play without disrupting what seems to be a settled system i.e. it makes obvious sense to return to a 4-4-2 if he was signed. This negates a large amount of the impact that Torres can have on a game.

I don't actually disagree. I just don't see where he would play without disrupting what seems to be a settled system i.e. it makes obvious sense to return to a 4-4-2 if he was signed. This negates a large amount of the impact that Torres can have on a game.

You could say the very same could be said about Keane. Keane and Villa are very very similar players in my opinion. Villa has alot more class while Keane is tried and tested in the premiership.

Rafa talks about signings.

Summary:

moneys tight but there will be one big name striker signed, possibly two.
    We have also signed that Brazilian keeper.
    He doesnt know when Barry saga will end
    Alonso may not go to Juve
    Barry signing is not dependent on Alonso sale
    We will sell to buy
    Rafael Benitez has promised there will be at least one new big-name striker at Liverpool before the start of the season but admits he has no idea when the Gareth Barry saga will be concluded.

The Liverpool boss has admitted his exasperation at the drawn-out campaign to prise Barry from Aston Villa, which shows no sign of ending.

And the Spaniard has also revealed the growing financial problems he is having in the transfer market.

He admits that Tottenham skipper Robbie Keane is a target, but although he is also a big fan of Valencia and Spain striker David Villa, a move seems unlikely.

Benitez unveiled two new full-backs today, Swiss international Philipp Degen and £6million Italian defender Andrea Dossena, and expects to formally announce a £3million deal for Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri in the near future.

But it has become increasingly obvious that Benitez is working with a much smaller budget than was expected at the end of last season when figures of £25-30million were being suggested as a potential kitty.

He admitted: "We know the situation regarding what we can spend, and we are trying to find solutions if we do not have enough money.

"And we will still try to sign players that will make us better. But if you do not have too much money, and that is clear, we will have to have a little bit of imagination to progress in the market.

"Everyone knows what our ideas are and what players we want. We are working hard with different names now, and at the moment that is not (David) Villa.

"We will have another main striker before the season starts, maybe two."

He added: "We had our ideas at the end of the season. We have tried to use players to raise money for business in the past, sometimes selling players who have not settled down.

"This summer it is very much the same idea. We know we will have to sell some players if we want some cash. So we have to do that.

"The fans must trust us, we are working hard during the summer with a lot of people in different countries working for us.

"We have a new keeper. And we are looking for a lot of players for the right price.

"Now if we want to spend we can do it. But we have to be careful what we do spend."

There have been rumours for weeks that Benitez is working with very little money, although sources insist that he can complete the deal for Barry without selling Xabi Alonso.

That deal - with Juventus - has also gone cold and Benitez revealed: "The situation with Alonso has not changed.

"Juventus made an offer that was not good enough and now we are just waiting. I do not know, really, whether that will go through.

"Xabi wants to stay because he is happy here but he also knows that Juventus is a top side. I have talked to him, he knows my ideas and he knows why. So we will try to find a solution for him, for us, and the best for the club."

Liverpool have been linked continually with Irish striker Keane.

Benitez said: "David Villa is one of the players on our list, but at this moment I do not see it being an option for us.

"Keane is also one of the names we are interested in, and we are still working on other possible situations.

"There has been some contact (over Keane) but we will have to see how things progress."

On Villa, he added: "We know he is a very good player, we know the price, and we know the players we have. At this moment he is not our target.

"We are still waiting on Gareth Barry. I prefer now not to say anything and to wait."

Sources at the club claim the price for the Villa midfielder could have risen above the £18million the midlanders’ manager Martin O’Neill was believed to want.

There is a growing frustration at Anfield with the continual shifting of the position, and the elimination from the deal of several Reds players who initially interested Villa, but who are now not on O’Neill’s wishlist.

And now the fact that Barry is banned from Villa’s training ground and has already missed a week of vital pre-season work is also worrying Liverpool and could, it is claimed, affect their willingness to meet Villa’s demands regarding the fee.

With Aston Villa away at a Swiss training camp, and Liverpool soon to be in the same country next week at their own base, the conclusion of the Barry saga looks some way off.

Liverpool have announced the signing of 17-year-old Dutch forward Vincent Lucas Weijl.

The teenager, who came through the academy at AZ Alkmaar, has signed a three-year deal and will go into the reserves squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd love Rafa to say why he belives Barry would be better for Liverpool than Alonso, also the way he talks you'd nearly think if neither deal went through he'd just shrug and say "so be it".

As for Keane 4-4-2 is a no-no-no for me

Riena
    Deggan-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Masch
    "Alarry"
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Torres

If a formation looks messy, is it A, fluid or B, unworkable?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Rafa seems to be getting at theres a few strikers on his list, please let one of them be arshavin, him and Torres would be immense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd love Rafa to say why he belives Barry would be better for Liverpool than Alonso, also the way he talks you'd nearly think if neither deal went through he'd just shrug and say "so be it".

As for Keane 4-4-2 is a no-no-no for me

Riena
    Deggan-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Masch
    "Alarry"
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Torres

If a formation looks messy, is it A, fluid or B, unworkable?

Mike.

Alarry looks quality in fairness, should set the premiership alight this season ;)

• Advertisement

Has anyone esle noticed something about Liverpool players names?

Mike.

Is it they sound **** in a scouse accent ?

Its a little quirk that relates to proximate letters.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Diego Cavalieri has signed. Brazilian press reporting tonight that the lad himself says the contract is signed. Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Mike.
    Double letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Shamrok wrote: »
    Diego Cavalieri has signed. Brazilian press reporting tonight that the lad himself says the contract is signed. Source

Hrmm that is an interesting signing for them. I'm not sure I understand the logic.

Regarding Barry, I think it has become farce at this stage, I'd understand Villa not wanting to sell him, least of all to Liverpool who are effectively the team they are aiming to catch. I can't understand how he can stay at this stage.

Keane may or may not make a good foil for Torres. I still don't like him. His quality is undeniable, but for me he just doesn't look up enough with the ball and loses possession too often. Although he has improved this season.

I can't see Spurs selling unless it is for mammoth money. The lastthing Spurs need is to be selling their top players and really, the revolving door of their forwards the last few seasons is not going to help them improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Syke wrote: »
    I still don't like him. His quality is undeniable, but for me he just doesn't look up enough with the ball and loses possession too often. Although he has improved this season..

Hahahahahaha!!!

Understatement of the year.

I've never heard any player get as much abuse as you give Keane.

Why do Liverpool need him? They should be looking for strength in depth.

GuanYin wrote: »
    Why do Liverpool need him? They should be looking for strength in depth.

Sort of answering your own question there.. That is exactly why they are buying him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sort of answering your own question there.. That is exactly why they are buying him..

I think Kuyt is a better foil for Torres and I don't see Keane sitting on the bench.

I think Kuyt is a better foil for Torres and I don't see Keane sitting on the bench.

As is, we only have one clinical striker, Torres. Keane would make it two.

• Advertisement

I think he is being signed as an alternative to both Torres and Gerard. He is capable of playing as a striker but he is more than capable of playing in the hole behind Torres as the link to the midfield. Realistically speaking, we are far too over dependent on both players so Keane would be a good addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kuyt has played his best football as the right-sided player of the attacking-midfield 3. He hasn't been anywhere near as good playing up-front with another striker.

I think Keane will work well with Torres. He can play a little deeper, and he's very mobile. He'll commit defenders and give Torres space to work in. He's played well with a variety of strikers at Spurs, and gets bags of assists each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Kuyt has played his best football as the right-sided player of the attacking-midfield 3. He hasn't been anywhere near as good playing up-front with another striker.

I think Keane will work well with Torres. He can play a little deeper, and he's very mobile. He'll commit defenders and give Torres space to work in. He's played well with a variety of strikers at Spurs, and gets bags of assists each year.

well analysed dude,
    another great post.

Tottenham should complete the signing of Espanyol striker Luis Garcia over the weekend in a £10m deal that could pave the way for Spurs forward Robbie Keane to move to Liverpool. (Various)

Heres hopin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Is there the chance that the Keane link could turn into another 'Barry Saga'?

I'm a little bit disappointed in Rafa goin' public saying Keane is one of the players on our list, specially with the current Barry debacle.
    Obviously Spurs ain't gonna be happy and they can slap a big fee on him, just like the Barry scenario.
    I'd like to see Keane at Anfield, I'm sure he could do better with better players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Has anyone esle noticed something about Liverpool players names?

Mike.

Mike.
    I'm curious as to the answer. Originally I thought it was just going to be that all the best ones have an 'e' in there: Torres, Gerrard, Babel, Mascherano, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Reina. Kewell and Riise would have messed that theory up but they are no longer at the club :).

I assume that's not the answer though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

malice_ wrote: »
    I'm curious as to the answer. Originally I thought it was just going to be that all the best ones have an 'e' in there: Torres, Gerrard, Babel, Mascherano, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Reina. Kewell and Riise would have messed that theory up but they are no longer at the club :).

Fowler signs for Blackburn, wonder how this move will work out? does he still have it for the PL? Good luck to him anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

malice_ wrote: »

Double letters;

Liverpool

Finnan Carragher Agger Dossena

Gerrard Plessis Barry (?)

Villa (?)

Torres

with Riise and Kewell just gone. Looks like a pattern alright. ;)

We just one need one more and a keeper - is Buffon available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I assume it's to do with repeated letters and specifically a double r?

Agger
    Carragher
    Gerrard
    Torres
    (maybe) Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Fowler signs for Blackburn, wonder how this move will work out? does he still have it for the PL? Good luck to him anyway....

Apparently Cardiff jersies with Fowler on the back sold more than all other named Cardiff shirts put together!

I can't believe anyone would rate Keane ahead of Kuyt. Ability wise there is no comparison between the two. A few good games at the end of a season doesnt make up for a season of shiiite. I'm not sure about Keane being the correct option for Liverpool, but I am sure he'll play a lot better for Liverpool (surrounded by good players) than he does for Ireland (where he thinks he has to do it all himself because he's captain and (rightly or wrongly) he seeems to think his playing colleagues are muck).

The way Kuyt performed in the second half of the season and at the Euro's, i'm really interested to see if he can keep that going throughout the whole of the season.
    I think Keane would be a superb addition as he would provide a great variety to the squad. He could play up front if Torres is out, where Gerrard plays just behind, on the right where Kuyt plays or up front alongside Torres. What the hell is not to like?
    As for Fowler (two b's in Robbie) joining Blackburn, i'm absolutely delighted for him to be back in the Prem. Strange signing for them. Didn't see that coming. Ince obviously knows him from his 'pool days. Great for the rest of the Blackburn squad to have a player of his experience in the squad. Can't see him reaching double figures, but i hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

is this cavalieri guy any good?

i aint seen much from him.

RAFA: WE CAN ADAPT TO ANY FORMATION

Steve Hunter 11 July 2008
    Rafael Benitez believes he has a squad that is capable of adapting to any formation and said the acquisitions of Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena will make the team stronger in the wide areas.
    The Reds boss said he has an idea about various formations he will use during the forthcoming season, and it is likely he will experiment with that during the pre-season programme which kicks-off against Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

"We want to use two or three systems during the season," said Benitez. "The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts.

"At the beginning of last season we were doing well with 4-4-2, so if the players can read the game and understand things, then it's easier to change the system.

"Now we have more options at full-back, with Degen, Finnan and Arbeloa on one side and Dossena, Aurelio and Insua on the other. We have players with different qualities.

"You can't use too many systems - two or three maximum - and the key is to teach the players how to adapt to each system.

"We will continue looking for good players but not necessarily a 'proper' winger. We'll look for good players and maybe adjust the system. Don't forget, we have some very good players here already, players we have signed over the last 12 months.

"We knew we were creating a lot of chances last season but everybody was talking about the wide areas. If you go to the market and want to sign a top-class right-winger, they will be in the top sides and the price will be crazy. To sign two full-backs with an offensive mentality can give us more quality out wide."

Meanwhile, new boy Dossena said he can't wait to get started and is concentrating on trying to adapt to the English game as quickly as possible.

"Even from training, I realise English football is different," said the Reds number two. "It's all about possession and the ball seems to move quicker.

"There is also a great determination among the players in training, but these are all qualities that are characteristic of me too. In this way, I feel half English, half Italian.

"I have been very impressed with the facilities and also with the very good atmosphere in the dressing room.

"The talks I have had with Benitez have mostly been about tactics. He has explained that he wants a four-man defence but that the most important thing is that the balance on the pitch is never broken. There must be balance between the left and right-backs.

"Of course I’ll feel very strong emotions when I wear the shirt at Anfield for the first time but after the first few seconds these will be replaced by a focus on what I am doing.

"I must admit I enjoyed their win over Inter Milan in the European Cup last season, and I definitely believe this team can challenge for the title. I believe Liverpool played the best football in Europe last season."

The left back also believes his move to Anfield can only help his international ambitions with Italy.

"The Premier League is followed and it will be up to the national manager to watch the players abroad," he added. "I am aware, though, that I am at the most prestigious team in England. There are other players who play abroad who are getting caps, like Luca Toni."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

pompey to unveil Crouch at 1 today...

Yep its double letters, most have been mentioned add Didi Hamann

Mike.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    RAFA: WE CAN ADAPT TO ANY FORMATION

Steve Hunter 11 July 2008
    Rafael Benitez believes he has a squad that is capable of adapting to any formation and said the acquisitions of Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena will make the team stronger in the wide areas.
    The Reds boss said he has an idea about various formations he will use during the forthcoming season, and it is likely he will experiment with that during the pre-season programme which kicks-off against Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

"We want to use two or three systems during the season," said Benitez. "The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts.

"At the beginning of last season we were doing well with 4-4-2, so if the players can read the game and understand things, then it's easier to change the system.

"Now we have more options at full-back, with Degen, Finnan and Arbeloa on one side and Dossena, Aurelio and Insua on the other. We have players with different qualities.

"You can't use too many systems - two or three maximum - and the key is to teach the players how to adapt to each system.

"We will continue looking for good players but not necessarily a 'proper' winger. We'll look for good players and maybe adjust the system. Don't forget, we have some very good players here already, players we have signed over the last 12 months.

"We knew we were creating a lot of chances last season but everybody was talking about the wide areas. If you go to the market and want to sign a top-class right-winger, they will be in the top sides and the price will be crazy. To sign two full-backs with an offensive mentality can give us more quality out wide."

Meanwhile, new boy Dossena said he can't wait to get started and is concentrating on trying to adapt to the English game as quickly as possible.

"Even from training, I realise English football is different," said the Reds number two. "It's all about possession and the ball seems to move quicker.

"There is also a great determination among the players in training, but these are all qualities that are characteristic of me too. In this way, I feel half English, half Italian.

"I have been very impressed with the facilities and also with the very good atmosphere in the dressing room.

"The talks I have had with Benitez have mostly been about tactics. He has explained that he wants a four-man defence but that the most important thing is that the balance on the pitch is never broken. There must be balance between the left and right-backs.

"Of course I’ll feel very strong emotions when I wear the shirt at Anfield for the first time but after the first few seconds these will be replaced by a focus on what I am doing.

"I must admit I enjoyed their win over Inter Milan in the European Cup last season, and I definitely believe this team can challenge for the title. I believe Liverpool played the best football in Europe last season."

The left back also believes his move to Anfield can only help his international ambitions with Italy.

"The Premier League is followed and it will be up to the national manager to watch the players abroad," he added. "I am aware, though, that I am at the most prestigious team in England. There are other players who play abroad who are getting caps, like Luca Toni."

Thanks Monkey9. Interesting article.

Some interesting points:

1. Rafa see's us using 2-3 formations next year:
    a. 4-4-2
    b. 4-3-3
    c. 4-2-3-1
    2. Rafa mentions Insua as one of the options for left back. We could see more of him that we may have thought this season.

3. Rafa won't be going for "proper" wingers this summer. More players that can adapt to a few systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Oh dear.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_3761154,00.html

What we need, apparently:
    A striker or a withdrawn attacker to play alongside Torres would help ease the burden on the young Spaniard's shoulders after he exceeded all expectations in his first year at Anfield... It would allow skipper Steven Gerrard to move back into his preferred position of midfield from where he could drive the team forward.

"Fan View" not much better:
    Would like to see an attacking full-back brought in and would love to see Phillip Lahm at the club

What happened to quality control.

Laziest article I've seen all summer (which is quite an achievment). And a shame they don't say who the "Fan View" fan is actually a fan of (I doubt it's LFC, reading his comments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts."

Thank you Rafa
    2. Rafa mentions Insua as one of the options for left back. We could see more of him that we may have thought this season.

Fingers crossed the seven sub rule will see himself and any of the other young fringe first-squad players (i.e Plessis and Nemeth) get more game time.

All other things being equal this could be a great way to blood players into the first team. Far prefer to see young players with future potential get some game time as opposed to limited more experienced players (Voronin I'm looking at you)

Slight rumours that Blackburn are looking at Carson for a possible loan deal and also that we are trying to flog Pennant to Newcastle, to raise more funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Welcome Diego
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160491080711-1129.htm

i'm starting to think that we have more money than everybody is thinking

• Advertisement

SKY IN POOR ANALYSIS SHOCKER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Fan's view - Jake Abbey

diego_text_0708_3.jpg

He looks like Jamies latin cousin!

Miek.

The news that Peter Crouch is set to join Portsmouth does not surprise me. He could be the perfect partner for Jermaine Defoe, but at Liverpool he was always going to be behind Torres when it came to team selection.

I am a big fan of Crouch, but I also understand why he fell down the pecking order at Anfield. Benitez did a lot for the striker's career, sticking with him through a very lean start, but the arrival of Torres made Crouch an option rather than a regular.

If Crouch had pace, I feel he'd be unplayable. But without pace, which is so essential in the modern game, he needs a partner who has it; someone to get behind defences. But that then forces a manager into a more rigid 4-4-2.

I imagine Rafa would have loved to have kept the striker as something different to call upon, but Crouch wants regular football. And on that score I can't blame him; the difficulty of managing a top club is keeping 25 international footballers happy when some won't feature as often as they like.

You don't want players who are only too happy to be on the bench or not even in the 16, but you need those who are willing to accept it. It's where Manchester United got so lucky with Ole Gunnar Solksjaer.

I still see an obsession with finding another out-and-striker to play alongside Torres, with fans mentioning the names of players who, like Peter Crouch, are what I call 'spearhead' strikers. But the very reason Crouch didn't play as often last season was because two spearhead strikers just aren't part of the game anymore.

These days, teams rarely play 4-4-2 with a 'flat' front two, and Liverpool's history going back 50 years has few examples of such partnerships - which makes the desire for two up front all the more baffling. Emile Heskey and Michael Owen were one such pairing, but when Rush and Aldridge were at the club together, the latter was quickly sold due to their similarity.

In their later years together, Ian St John played off Roger Hunt. Kevin Keegan roamed all over the attacking third, behind target-man John Toshack. Kenny Dalglish was a master at dropping deep to find space, and to thread balls through to Ian Rush. Then came Peter Beardsley, with a vaguely similar style to Dalglish, creating for John Aldridge and then Rush. And in the '90s, when Stan Collymore had his head together, it was his work in wide areas that stands out in his setting up Robbie Fowler for hatfuls of goals.

Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton were the last two out-and-out strikers I can think of in a successful Premiership side. Yet some fans want to pair two leaders of the line together.

It's an easy trap to fall into, and I do it myself from time to time. We see two strikers capable of scoring goals, and think that they will provide a prolific solution. But put them in the same team together, and their styles might clash. It's no use having two strikers who take up the same positions and make the same kind of runs.

While Crouch and Torres never duplicated each other's movements, both need to be as far up the field as possible. You want Crouch using his height as near to the opposing penalty area, but you want Torres up against the last defender, threatening to get in behind all the time. So in that sense they clash. Their styles differ, and in some ways they'd make a nice partnership; but the shape of the team would suffer.

While they may have been the Reds' two strikers capable of scoring the most goals as individuals, that doesn't mean they'd do so when in the same team together. And even if they did, it's how playing them together affects the team as a whole. With two out-and-out strikers, the play has to be more direct, with neither coming to the ball.

I've seen it mooted that in the future there will be no strikers on the pitch, and that a series of attacking midfielders will flood the box. At times Manchester United remind me of this theory, with neither Rooney nor Tevez an out-and-out striker, and Ronaldo drifting all over the attacking third. But at the very least, top teams tend to have just one striker, such as Adebayor or Drogba, with others joining from deep.

Spain played two 'forwards' this summer, but it was really a split-striker system, with the small, mobile David Villa dropping deep and playing like Peter Beardsley. Or if Villa went forward, Torres drifted wide - which helped Villa, but reduced Torres' effectiveness somewhat.

Of course, the overall result was winning football, with Torres' effectiveness also inhibited by the midfield's reluctance to release and early pass.

The Liverpool striker's best two games were when Villa was injured and Fabregas played in a free role; Torres ran Russia ragged in the semi-final, coming close on about five occasions, and then scored a sublime winner against Germany, where he showed immense strength and pace and a delicate finish, and also hit the bar with a thumping header. But as a pair, Torres and Villa terrorised Russia in the opening game.

With Crouch heading out, I expect to see Liverpool in the market for a mobile striker who can score goals, but who can also drift deep and wide, to create space and to also create chances. Villa can do this, and so can Robbie Keane, another player the club have been linked to in the papers.

As fans, we obsess about individuals, and covet the most exciting players; hence some desiring a move for Samuel Eto'o. But a manager has to deal with the realities of balance. For years Gerrard and Lampard were seen as England's dream midfield pairing, but it never quite worked as anticipated. It's almost as if team selection is largely seen by fans and media as rewarding the best players, or 'most deserving', when it should be about winning football matches.

People kept telling me last season that Crouch 'deserved' to be in the side ahead of Kuyt, but Torres was massively appreciative of what Kuyt was doing for him.

While any two top players can perform together, it's about getting the most from the team as a whole. It's only recently that successive England managers have opted for Gareth Barry alongside Gerrard on account of the balance he provides. There has to be that mix of match-winners with those who help them perform at their optimum level. Or, if someone has to play out of position or alter their natural game, then it needs to be seen as for the benefit of the team and not about 'wasting' their talent.

If a new striker were to stop Torres scoring as many, but the team as a whole score more, that's a good thing - providing it's not at the expense of the hard work the forwards do to protect leads.

In a few games last season Andrei Voronin was brilliant in the role of second striker; early in the season Kenny Dalglish was singing his praises, and in the game against Besiktas the Ukrainian was heavily involved in five of the goals. But a loss of fitness and confidence has left him needing to answer some questions. We've seen he has talent, but succeeding at the top level is about confidence and consistency.

Dirk Kuyt, meanwhile, offered great toil and support for Torres in the first half of last season, but lost his goalscoring touch and his confidence suffered.

Too many people miss the intelligence of his movement - for me, it's not just his limitless energy, but it's how clever he is when he hasn't got the ball, whether it is knowing when to track back, or making runs to create space for others. I thought he was generally excellent on the right of midfield in the second half of the season, and it may be that it's a role that suits him better in this team. Time will tell.

Ryan Babel is another option as a second striker, and one who may grow into the role. We've yet to see him play off Torres, but it's his preferred position. He's ended several games as the lone forward, using his pace to kill teams off on the break. But at the moment I'm just looking forward to him taking what he's learned into the new season.

And there's always the partnership of Torres and Gerrard, which helped the Reds thrive in the last few months of the season. The thing with Gerrard is that he can excel in any number of roles, and in certain games it might be more beneficial to have him playing deeper.

As individuals, they are arguably the best striker and best all-round midfielder in the world; they are certainly not far off. And as a partnership they were often hugely effective.

But there might be times, particularly against the top teams, when someone more used to the second striker role can offer even more, thus allowing the captain to spring more unpredictably from different areas of the field. For Benitez, it's all about options and alternatives, and I imagine that's the thinking with his transfer targets this summer.

Then there's one player yet to feature in the first team, but whose development has excited the fans.

Whether it happens sooner or later, Krisztian Nemeth has a real chance of succeeding because not only is he a natural finisher, he also has great awareness for his age of what's going on around him. He seems happy to drop deep and feed balls through, and in time could be someone who thrives playing just behind Torres. But there's a big gap between reserve and first team level, and it may take him time to bridge it.

Whoever Liverpool sign, my desire is always that the manager gets who he wants. He is the one who has to find the blend, and he is the one who has the world-class football knowledge. He, and his army of scouts and analysts, know how to assess players more expertly than me, and spend far more time doing so. They are aware of what the team lacks, and who they believe can offer the missing ingredients.

Whether it's world-class individuals or players who make others tick, I trust the squad will be stronger going into the new campaign, and the blend that bit better.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG160485080711-1034.htm

Paul Tomkins new atricle on LFC.tv

If there is only 20 million to spend (excluding sales) then it seems a bit mad to spend 3 of it on a reserve keeper. Either Rafa is very confident of the sales going through and raising more cash or we have more money than we thought

From liverpoolfc.tv
    REDS CONFIRM CAVALIERI DEAL
    Jimmy Rice 11 July 2008
    Liverpool have today confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri from Brazilian outfit Palmeiras.
    The 25-year-old has penned a four-year contract with the Reds and will act as understudy to Pepe Reina in the Liverpool goal.

After becoming the third major arrival at Anfield over the summer, Cavalieri - who was born in Brazil but holds an Italian passport - is now looking forward to the chance of establishing himself in the Premier League.

"I know it won't be easy to get into the team," he told Liverpoolfc.tv in his first interview since arriving in England. "I watched some Liverpool games in both the Premier League and Champions League last year and I know Pepe is a very good goalkeeper. But everyone has to fight for their place and I'm sure we will have a healthy rivalry.

"I know I will have to be patient and work very hard to achieve my aims – but it is always like that when you come from another country. You have to adapt inside and outside of the pitch and get used to the way things work. But with hard work you get there.

"My confidence has got me where I am today and maybe people are aware of what I did at Palmeiras in Brazil. I am sure that one day I can get the number one position but that will only come with hard work."

Cavalieri, who cites countrymen Taffarel and Marcos as his role models, admits he hasn't had much time to dwell on his dream move to Europe, with everything happening in the space of a week.

Despite the haste in which his life has been turned upside down, the shot-stopper claims he didn't hesitate to pack up his gloves once Liverpool showed an interest.

"I feel very privileged and happy to have signed for Liverpool because everyone knows they are one of the top clubs in the world," he explained. "The name 'Liverpool' is known all around the world. It's an honour to wear this shirt.

"It was a dream for me to come to Europe, though I was taken aback by how quickly everything happened. It's all been sorted out in one week.

"But I have been given a very good welcome from my teammates and the manager, so I'm very happy to be here. I just hope I can respond to all this.

"Rafa and I spoke for a long time on the day I arrived. He explained to me how the football is here and the differences from Brazil. He also talked to me about the responsibilities of representing a club like Liverpool."

Cavalieri is now the third Brazilian at Melwood alongside Fabio Aurelio and Lucas.

The pair have already offered their services in helping the new boy settle into the English way of life – not that the move to Europe is as daunting as it once was.

Ever increasing numbers of South Americans are now cutting their teeth in the Premier League, a trend Cavalieri doesn't expect to change.

He explained: "I had an opportunity to talk to Lucas and Fabio when I arrived and they have welcomed me with open arms. They said that if there is anything I need they will help me. I'm very pleased that I'll be playing alongside some Brazilians.

"I think the quality of the Brazilian players means they can come to Europe. Every day you hear about new players coming through. Also, the European market is very strong and it's very difficult for the Brazilian market to compete."

Saying all the right things in the interview - interesting to see that the whole thing seems to have be completed in a week.

Like the bit about Lucas and Aurelio as well - I'm sure they'll be best of mates in no time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

He looks like Jamies latin cousin!

Miek.

I think Jamie's auld man may have been a Brazilian milk man back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Keane will fit perfectly into your new 4-2-3-1 system, and will fit into it in pretty much any of the front four positions.

I don't agree that Villa would result in a change of system, Torres can drop deeper and Gerrard can be pushed to the right if necessary. Thing is though, these systems are so fluid, it's not hugely important what position they are in, except for defensive reasons.

I also can't see Rafa swapping away from this 4-2-3-1, because its a system that finally, finally, gets the best out of Gerrard. Gerrard can play as any of the 3, and the problems in his game (his wastefulness) won't result in the attack breaking down anywhere near as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB-i missed you when you were doing your exams. Just so you know ;)

If there is only 20 million to spend (excluding sales) then it seems a bit mad to spend 3 of it on a reserve keeper. Either Rafa is very confident of the sales going through and raising more cash or we have more money than we thought

Given it seems like Itandje is on the verge of joining Galatasary for £2m and the continued interest in Carson (loan deal at very worst) it looks pretty certain that neither of them will be at the club next season.

£3m for a dependable younish keeper with potential seems like a very sensible investment to me.

Imagine Pepe picks up an injury that keeps him out for a month or two.
    What would we have done then?

We've hopefully upgraded out Number 2 position and depending on what we eventually get for Carson look to have made a tasty bit of profit. If we had gone out and spent £10m on a backup keeper that might have been a bit mad but £3m is nothing for a top-flight keeper these days.

Jul 11 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

SCOTT CARSON is set to depart Anfield as Rafa Benitez attempts to raise the funds he needs to make an offer for top target Robbie Keane.

The England international keeper is likely to follow Danny Guthrie through the exit door after Liverpool accepted an offer from Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle for the midfielder, who spent last season on loan at Bolton.

Guthrie will now hold talks with Keegan and if personal terms can be agreed the deal will give the 21-year-old the first team football he craves but was unable to secure at Anfield.

Liverpool have two offers on the table from rival Premiership clubs for Carson, who is keen to quit the Reds after spending last season on loan at Aston Villa, and Benitez is happy to do business.

New £3m signing Diego Cavalieri will provide back- up to Pepe Reina in the coming season, making Carson surplus to requirements.

Carson joined Liverpool from Leeds for £750,000 in January 2005 after being earmarked as a potential England keeper of the future.

He has since gone on to win international honours for his country but has found his progress at Anfield thwarted by the presence of Reina, who has developed into one of Europe’s most highly rated keepers.

Villa paid a fee in the region of £2m to loan Carson last season, but Martin O’Neill has not followed up his initial interest in making the deal permanent and the 22-year-old will now move elsewhere.

Without having a substantial transfer kitty at his disposal, Benitez knows he must sell a number of fringe players if he is to be able to come up with the kind of offer which would tempt Spurs to do business for Keane.

Spurs boss Juande Ramos is not looking to sell his captain, who is a hero to the White Hart Lane fans, but with Keane looking to make a move to the club he supported as a boy he may have no option but to do a deal if Benitez makes a sizeable offer.

Benitez, though, is not willing to offer the £20m Ramos is believed to be holding out for and has other targets in mind should Keane’s price tag prove prohibitive.

The Reds boss is looking for a traditional “number seven” to provide a link between his midfield and front man Fernando Torres and believes Keane has the game intelligence to fill such a role.

“Keane is clearly a player that has game intelligence,” said Benitez. “We're looking for players with the right quality and I think we'll find some in the next few days, although not necessarily the names that everybody knows.”

Peter Crouch, who partnered Torres on occasion last season, will today complete his £11m move to Portsmouth.

Meanwhile, Liverpool’s reserve team ranks have been supplemented by the signing of another youngster from abroad.

Vincent Lucas Weijl, a 17-year-old forward who came through the academy at AZ Alkmaar, has signed a three year contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement