Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

joe123 wrote: »
    Liverpool are bad in the transfer market...

Torres, Mascherano, Skrtel, Agger, Babel etc would kinda disprove that remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Every team makes bad signings in the transfer market. No team is immune from getting it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I would say Keane is very very far from a done deal tbh.

and maybe give Barry a break until he actually kicks a ball for us yea?

No.I dont rate the fella.Is that ok then al :)

If we buy robbie keane I would say its a good buy....if we spend 20 million on getting him I will get sick. No way is he worth 20 million. Hes worth about 10-12. Barry isnt worth 18 hes worth about 12 also.

Liverpool are bad in the transfer market...

If i see villa in an english jersey (taking it liverpool arent getting him) i will also get sick unless chelsea have spent crazy money say over 30. But if hes bought below that and we buy keane for 20 and barry for 18 its bad business.

Keep alonso and buy villa. Alonso is better than barry. And Cheaper it looks like.

I dont feel like posting but blah il be off and see how the summer dealings pan out.

Will have to disagree with you there man.liverpool imo are not bad in the transfer market.Will agree with the Barry comment mind you.Alonso is by far the better player but hey there's a reason Rafa is the manager of my beloved club and not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gixerfixer wrote: »
    No.I dont rate the fella.Is that ok then al :)

i look forward to your "i was wrong, Barry is deadly" thread before the start of Oct ;)

i look forward to your "i was wrong, Barry is deadly" thread before the start of Oct ;)
    Here's hoping:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

IrishMike wrote: »
    Torres, Mascherano, Skrtel, Agger, Babel etc would kinda disprove that remark

There's been a few shockers in there too (they're just forgettable) but ye overall I think we've done well. This season though were spending a fair bit but im not convinced we're getting great value for money.
    I heard we're paying nearly 18m + Finnan for Barry, I like Barry but thats way overpriced.
    I don't mind you can put being ripped off behind and say well we got the player we wan't and he'll improve our squad (he will), but we can't piss away the guts of 25m for Keane, I like him as a player buts thats around what we paid for Torres (who's younger and better). If we pay that for Keane along with what we paid for Barry we really got fleeced this year

colly10 wrote: »
    This season though were spending a fair bit but im not convinced we're getting great value for money.
    I heard we're paying nearly 18m + Finnan for Barry, I like Barry but thats way overpriced.
    I don't mind you can put being ripped off behind and say well we got the player we wan't and he'll improve our squad (he will), but we can't piss away the guts of 25m for Keane, I like him as a player buts thats around what we paid for Torres (who's younger and better). If we pay that for Keane along with what we paid for Barry we really got fleeced this year

torres was exceptional value for 21m, he is the exception, not the rule.

if barry and keave were to improve us and we pushed on for title paying 35m for them would be very worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if barry and keave were to improve us and we pushed on for title paying 35m for them would be very worth it :D

exactly. remember the kerfuffle over Carrick? people thought United were mad to pay 18million (or whatever it was). but Fergy deemed it a price worth paying for a player who ultimately became the tipping point to them winning the title again.

and now some of the same feckers who lambasted Fergy for it are the first ones to over hype him these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Gets madderer and madderer....

Berbatov to Man U, Barry to Arsenal, Poulsen to Juve (and not Alonso).

!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Juve sign Poulsen. Uh oh. Please Rafa, keep Alonso, forget about Barry.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calciomercato/Primo_Piano/2008/07_Luglio/11/poulsen.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if they now have Poulsen and Sissoko in the middle they clearly need some added culture! :p

Mike.

shayser wrote: »
    Gets madderer and madderer....

Berbatov to Man U, Barry to Arsenal, Poulsen to Juve (and not Alonso).

!!

link for Barry to Arsenal please.....

link for Barry to Arsenal please.....

there hasn't been a mention of Arsenal in relation to Barry since around early May. dunno what he's on...

there hasn't been a mention of Arsenal in relation to Barry since around early May. dunno what he's on...

There has. The paper that shall not be named is running with it tomorrow.

well that is good enough reason to assume its ****ing ****e anyway.

Tusky wrote: »
    There has. The paper that shall not be named is running with it tomorrow.

lol, how do you know this?

anyway, as Alan says nothing but trash talk on a slow news day by the sounds of it. Wenger wont enter into a bidding war someone who's already overvalued, pretty darn sure of that. i'd like to see Barry at the Gunners, but the best i can see happening is Wenger waiting to see if the proposed move to Pool falls apart and then getting him at a reduced price on d-day or in January.

lol, how do you know this?

anyway, as Alan says nothing but trash talk on a slow news day by the sounds of it. Wenger wont enter into a bidding war someone who's already overvalued, pretty darn sure of that. i'd like to see Barry at the Gunners, but the best i can see happening is Wenger waiting to see if the proposed move to Pool falls apart and then getting him at a reduced price on d-day or in January.

I iz journalist, hear me roar.

• Advertisement

Sky sports was on in the background. Couldn't hear what they were saying but they were looking at tomorrow's back pages. United bid for Berbatov was on a couple of them and Arsenal in for Barry was on at least one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If we buy robbie keane I would say its a good buy....if we spend 20 million on getting him I will get sick. No way is he worth 20 million. Hes worth about 10-12.

Yet a player who has sat on the bench for the best part of 18 months is worth £12 million of Portmouth's money?? When Liverpool sell players for that amount, they are directly contributing to the inflation of British (and Irish) player's value, and can have no complaints being asked for £20 million for Keane.

If Crouch is worth £12 million, with one year left on his contract, then Robbie is definitely worth 20.

Yet a player who has sat on the bench for the best part of 18 months is worth £12 million of Portmouth's money?? When Liverpool sell players for that amount, they are directly contributing to the inflation of British (and Irish) player's value, and can have no complaints being asked for £20 million for Keane.

If Crouch is worth £12 million, with one year left on his contract, then Robbie is definitely worth 20.

the man speaks sense

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

to a degree - the other side of the argument is that you have to look at each case separately - and last season He sat on the bench because Fernando Torres was keeping him there - and still over the last 2 seasons he's scored a lot of goals - even setting a record for the most goals in a 12 month period for the england national team I think.
    You might say that's not a whole lot better than keane and you'd be right so they should both be 10-12ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

mayordenis wrote: »
    to a degree - the other side of the argument is that you have to look at each case separately - and last season He sat on the bench because Fernando Torres was keeping him there - and still over the last 2 seasons he's scored a lot of goals - even setting a record for the most goals in a 12 month period for the england national team I think.
    You might say that's not a whole lot better than keane and you'd be right so they should both be 10-12ish

Or you could say that Keane has scored over 100 premiership goals, and in less than 7 years for Tottenham, over 100 goals for the club.
    That he's scored consistently with every English club he's been with.
    Also that he's his countries top goal scorer ever and captain, as well as his clubs vice captain.
    What about the fact that Crouch publicly wanted to leave, but Keane has said nothing publicly.

All that could intimate that Keane is indeed worth £20,000,000, by your reckoning.

• Advertisement

In the real world Keane is worth no more than 10m but we dont live in the real world when it comes to stupid fees for players so i guess if bent was worth 18m Keane is worth at least 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Haven't seen this posted here yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbqz85gPsA

The lad at 12 banging them in!! I doubt that Milan keeper ever made it though... :)

On the Keane transfer, i'd take him for 20m. There comes a stage where we need to buy some proven quality to actually compete and the likes of Keane and Barry are proven commodities. We're gonna be paying over the odds in terms of actual valuations but that what being a big club entails. Are we a big club or not? We have to expect to overpay if we are, whether we actually have the cash or not is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

teamtalk:
    Liverpool and Villa reportedly spent all of Friday talking about Barry's valuation, with the latter still unwilling to accept anything less than £18million and Liverpool offering nothing more than £15million and Steve Finnan.

And according to The Sun, 'Gunners boss Arsene Wenger declared his own interest in midweek and Arsenal officials have contacted Villa to find out the latest position'.

The Gunners are in dire need of midfield reinforcements with Mathieu Flamini already gone and Gilberto Silva likely to exit within the next few days.

They could offer cash plus former Villa target Justin Hoyte for Barry, who has set his heart on a Liverpool switch but could be diverted towards London and the promise of Champions League football

i know the original source is not exactly very trust worthy but if in fairness they did break the liverpool-barry story also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Táck wrote: »
    teamtalk:

i know the original source is not exactly very trust worthy but if in fairness they did break the liverpool-barry story also...

And not a quote to be seen... No way
    Wenger spends anything near what we will for Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Seems Juve have done a deal for Poulsen. However this report - the only one in English from a reliable source does seemto indicate that this doesnt mean that the deal for Xabi is off. It does weaken Liverpool position though.:(
    Poulsen pens Juve deal - report Saturday 12 July, 2008

Juventus will reportedly announce the arrival of £6m signing Christian Poulsen over the weekend.

According to several newspaper sources in both Italy and Spain, negotiations with Sevilla were concluded late last night.

The 28-year-old Dane is expected to put pen to paper over the next few hours on a four-year contract worth £2.5m per season.

Poulsen is notorious in Italy for the coming together with Francesco Totti during a 0-0 draw in Euro 2004.

Totti claimed he had been repeatedly provoked when he was caught on camera spitting at the midfielder.

The Danish international’s arrival bolsters the collection of pugnacious defensive midfielders at Juventus, joining the likes of Cristiano Zanetti and Momo Sissoko.

A creative figure is still required, so talks for Xabi Alonso could well be revived despite his £15m price-tag.

The Liverpool star had seemed on the verge of a switch for most of the summer, but veering towards Poulsen scuppered those negotiations.

It is now reported that the Bianconeri are happy to splash out on both Poulsen and Xabi Alonso for their Champions League campaign.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul12d.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Smacks to me of agent or Villa leaks trying to resolve the transfer quicker

As for Keane, you have a 28 year old, club and country captain, at the peak of his game, top goalscorer in England in the year 2007, in a club thats stated goal is to try and beat you to fourth.

What price do you think he'll be? Some people are just delusional if they think he's not worth 20 mill.

On the Arsenal linked to Barry thing, it seems the basis of this report is the report in the Sun. Everywhere else seems to be quoted the Sun report as it's source, even going as far as to use "According to the Sun" in their reports. Check out the Telegraph article to see exactly what I mean.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/07/12/ufnbarry112.xml

I honestly don't put a whole lot of stock in the report as it just ticks too many of the speculative tabloid story boxes i.e. basically manages to put a new spin on the Barry saga when theyhave no news by dragging Arsenal into the mix cos they have lost Flamini and it looks like Hleb is gone as well, so they need midfielder replacements. Also didnt Hoyte come out previously and say he want interested in a move to Villa? FFS Arsene has previously come out and said that English players are over-priced and this is the perfect example of it. The thing that annoys me is that this might possibly weaken Liverpool's bargaining position. I just don't buy that Arsenal have a serious interest at the prices quoted.

On the Guthrie deal - saw prices of £1m(Guardian), £2m(Daily Mail) and £2.5m (Times & Liverpool Daily Post) Given the fact that there was a reported bid of £1.5m from Bolton turned down a while back, I'm think it looks likely that adeal was done for an amount of £2.5m.

A bit of talk that Utd have bid £20m for Berbatov. If the signing of imitation Luis Garcia goes through I think Spurs would probably prefer to lose Keane over Berbatov if an equal price was on offer. However I can see this one being awkward.

Penannt to Blackburn - Fingers crossed - Think it would depend on Bentley moving to Spurs but I think this is pretty likely(Bentley Spurs). Min of £4m, hopefully somewhere around the £6m mark - can't see us making a profit on him though. It does mean that there isnt a traditional out-and-out winger type in the squad unless someone new comes in, which seems unlikely given Rafa's recent statements

From the BBC website
    Newly-promoted West Brom and Hull are locked in a battle to sign Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson. (Daily Mail)

Come on show us the money. The sooner we tie up a deal for Carson and Itandje the better.

Anyway roll on Tranmere at 3 - in a Times report said we should get out first look at Degen and Dossena - be interesting to see the lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Problem is though, Berbatov really wants to leave. So if Spurs have to keep one, they'll let Berbatov go, also because he'll get them more money.
    I just don't buy that Arsenal have a serious interest at the prices quoted.

I don't think anyone does to be honest. If Arsenal had a serious interest, they would have moved for him by now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yep, tis just the tabloids (the sun) trying to make the Barry saga interesting again

PHB wrote: »
    Problem is though, Berbatov really wants to leave. So if Spurs have to keep one, they'll let Berbatov go, also because he'll get them more money.

Don't know if I can agree with the rational that if Spurs have to leave one go it will be Berbatov.

If Spurs have reportedly bought imitation Luis Garcia for £8m ?
    A player who looks a hell of a lot more like a Keane replacement than a Berbatov or Bent.

As for the Berba really wanting to leave thing - I'd say Keane is pretty interested in a move to Liverpool too, just doesnt have Berbatov's agent talking to the press every second day.

According to reports the initial refused Keane offer was Crouch plus £5m (say £15m total) therefore the minimum Spurs would be looking for Keane would be £17m (and even then I'd be surprised a deal is done at that) and reports seem to be indicating a valuation of £20m for Keane.

Given it looks like Spurs have a potential replacement for Keane lined up I think they are more likely to let Keane go and replace him with imitation Luis Garcia, netting £12m to balance against their other expenditure, than sell Berbatov for anything less than £30m given what it would cost them to obtain an equivalent replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Tranmere line up

team

Martin
    Hobbs-Darby Agger-Carragher
    Pennant-Plessis-Lucas-Insua
    Benayoun
    Pacheco

Subs:
    1 Cavalieri 4 Hyypia 3 Skrtel 19 Degen 20 Kelly 12 Aurelio 8 Gerrard
    14 Spearing 10 Voronin 9 Flynn

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    20 Kelly 9 Flynn

Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    What price do you think he'll be? Some people are just delusional if they think he's not worth 20 mill.

i would have said £18m :p

but yeah ur right. saying hes worth 10-12m is just idiotic tbh

Des wrote: »
    Irish?

English and Scotish. No doubt they qualify under granny rule

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Tranmere line up

team

Martin
    Hobbs-Darby Agger-Carragher
    Pennant-Plessis-Lucas-Insua
    Benayoun
    Pacheco

Subs:
    1 Cavalieri 4 Hyypia 3 Skrtel 19 Degen 20 Kelly 12 Aurelio 8 Gerrard
    14 Spearing 10 Voronin 9 Flynn

Mike

I think Darby is right back, and Hobbs in the center.

Great to see Pacheco start.

Yep of course. In my haste... etc

Its online here

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=14510&part=sports

http://www.justin.tv/mstv_2

Benny on the left, Darby on the right, Pennant in the hole.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rosboy wrote: »
    I think Darby is right back, and Hobbs in the center.

Great to see Pacheco start.

Eh more than likely more like this lads:

Martin
    Darby-Agger-Carragher-Insua
    Plesis-Hobbs
    --Pennant-Lucas-Benayoun
    Pacheco

I am shocked as to how you ended up with Carra at left back and Insua as the left winger actually.

Eh more than likely more like this lads:

Martin
    Darby-Agger-Carragher-Insua
    Plesis-Hobbs
    --Pennant-Lucas-Benayoun
    Pacheco

I am shocked as to how you ended up with Carra at left back and Insua as the left winger actually.

Official Liverpool website:
    Agger, who has recovered from the metatarsal problems which ruined his season last year, will be partnered by Jack Hobbs in the heart of the defence with Jamie Carragher likely to begin at left back.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160503080712-1354.htm

That must have been some lunatic writing that..

Just bought the e-season ticket so I could watch the match and Carra is defo at centre back with Insua at left back.

Great to see Agger back.

ooooooooh we've missed Agger.

Mike.

Just bought the e-season ticket so I could watch the match.

Is t streaming ok for you? Keeps breaking up on me. Had to turn it off.

rosboy wrote: »
    Is t streaming ok for you? Keeps breaking up on me. Had to turn it off.

Streaming perfectly. Am using the media player stream at 450kbps.

http://www.justin.tv/mstv_2 watchable picture

yay! we score! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

That must have been some lunatic writing that..

Just bought the e-season ticket so I could watch the match and Carra is defo at centre back with Insua at left back.

Great to see Agger back.

LFC TV show all the pre season games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement