Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zing wrote: »
    Carson/Crouch/Pennant and maybe Riise too.

Pretty sure no one knows who the players were.

O'Neill refering to them as no name players would lead me to believe that it wouldnt have involved Crouch. Purely my own speculative minds work of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pretty sure no one knows who the players were.
    Think they were named in the Echo. Defo read the names somewhere but how accurate it was is another story.
    O'Neill refering to them as no name players would lead me to believe that it wouldnt have involved Crouch. Purely my own speculative minds work of course.
    Carson was almost certainly one of those players and if so he referred to his own no #1 keeper as a no name player. If he'd do that then I doubt if he'd be overly bothered about referring to Crouch in the same way.

EDIT: Found the story
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-offers-aston-villa-choice-of-riise-pennant-or-carson-to-help-get-gareth-barry%26method=full%26objectid=20858038%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    Was Carson/Pennant/Riise offered to Villa. Crouch apparently wasn't part of the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Riera not moving just yet ...

www.skysports.com

Espanyol have snubbed an offer from Liverpool for Spanish international Albert Riera.

The Reds are believed to have tabled an offer of around 12million euros (£9.5million), but that falls considerably short of the Primera Liga club's valuation.

Riera enjoyed a successful loan spell at Manchester City in 2006, but has flourished since returning to his homeland.

He has missed out on Luis Aragones' squad for Euro 2008 but has impressed when given a chance with the national side, scoring a spectacular debut goal against Denmark in October 2007.

The winger has recently expressed his desire to secure a move to a bigger club but, along with club-mate and fellow Liverpool target Sebastian Leto, has been told in no uncertain terms that he will be going nowhere unless a substantially higher bid is received.

Price tag

"We are very disappointed with the quotes made by the player last week," said Espanyol president Daniel Sanchez Libre.

"If a player wants to leave then they should speak with the club, not the press.

"If a club wants to sign Riera then the price will be 24million euros (£19million), and that figure will not change."

Riera has a contract at Montjuic Stadium until 2011 and could now be punished for his outspoken comments.

Espanyol are contemplating fining the player, but as he is currently on holiday they are trying to resolve the situation with his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

evil_seed wrote: »
    just as a matter of interest where do people use for their rumours re the pool?
    In no particular order
    1. Google news,
    2. Official Pool website + those unofficial fans ones and of course
    3. Mr Alan and mike65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This picture springs to mind.

Yes, and it's only too apt for me... 10pm local time and I've an early start tomorrow! :)

Anyway, Villa has a good goal scoring record. However, I still think that he is, to an extent, living off his debut season with Valencia. That season he was undoubtedly one of the top strikers in the world. However, since then has he really done any better than any number of strikers playing in similar teams? My reservation with Villa is not his quality - it's his price tag, especially in relation to other players.

How much would you be happy for Liverpool to pay for Villa? For me, 15 million is reasonable, all things considered. I'd hate to see Liverpool held to ransom and pay 25 million or so on him - though I think that's fairly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The very fact that they name Leto as a "Liverpool target" makes me doubt the validiy of most of that!:p

Riera must really want to jump ship if he's making noises like that. Usually there's a contract bonus if players get transfered without filing a request with the seller club or fueling the media (at least that's what the RTE commentators said before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

We're about to sign our most expensive defender ever, Garath Barry would be our second most expensive midfielder ever, and are supposedly in talks with Valencia about buying our second most expensive attacker ever!

Says who?
    Some random guy on RAWK?
    There has been no talk of a move for Villa, in the same way there has been no move for Van Der Vaart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yes, and it's only too apt for me... 10pm local time and I've an early start tomorrow! :)

Anyway, Villa has a good goal scoring record. However, I still think that he is, to an extent, living off his debut season with Valencia. That season he was undoubtedly one of the top strikers in the world. However, since then has he really done any better than any number of strikers playing in similar teams? My reservation with Villa is not his quality - it's his price tag, especially in relation to other players.

How much would you be happy for Liverpool to pay for Villa? For me, 15 million is reasonable, all things considered. I'd hate to see Liverpool held to ransom and pay 25 million or so on him - though I think that's fairly unlikely.

We will have to agree to disagree. He has scored 20+ goals in all competitions every season he has been at Valencia and pretty much a goal every two games. The only thing that has changed is that Velencia have gone a bit ****.

I think a fair price for him would be around 20m. If a 27 year old Gareth Barry is worth 15m, a 26 year old David Villa is definitely worth 20m.

Heres a compilation of his 06/07 season.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/714208/david_villa_06_07/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Can I ask where is it recently that we have been linked to David Villa?

I saw today that we were linked with James Millner!!!

• Advertisement

Can I ask where is it recently that we have been linked to David Villa?

I saw today that we were linked with James Millner!!!

We havent been linked to Villa at all actually. He said in an interview that he had friends at Liverpool and liked the way Arsenal played. This was a couple of months ago.

Someone on RAWK has said that we are in talks with Valencia but that is hardly a link.
    Would you have liked to have been trained by Benitez?

- Yes, from the comments of my Liverpool mates or the ones here in Valencia who played for him. They tell me that they’ve learned many things from him. It’s a pity that we didn’t coincide.

Are you compatible with Torres?

- Yes, both on and off the pitch. We like playing together. I don’t want to disrespect Atletico but Torres has been through some tough times and now he feels liberated. And the way Liverpool play suits his abilities, which are up there with the best in the world.

Would you adapt to English football as well?

- I think so. Their football is fast, counter-attacking, which is the best for my qualities. Of course it’s a different story to get there and be successful. As a fan, I like Arsenal because they play one, two touch football and they’re very good at it. And because of my mates, I like Liverpool.

You spoke of a pact with Valencia’s majority owner, Juan Soler, about your Valencia exit. Do you trust him?

- When some clubs expressed their interest in me, he told me that he didn’t want to negotiate and that we would discuss it next year.

You mean this summer…

- Yes but if an offer arrives for me I will have to speak to the president [Agustin Morera], not with the majority owner.

Where do you see yourself playing in the future?

- I’m currently under contract for five years and a very high buyout clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Tusky wrote: »
    Someone on RAWK has said that we are in talks with Valencia but that is hardly a link.
    In fairness that someone seems to have some very good connections within the club and is considered to be a very reliable source. Obviously not everyone is right all the time though and no one persons word should be considered as definitive.

zing wrote: »
    In fairness that someone seems to have some very good connections within the club and is considered to be a very reliable source. Obviously not everyone is right all the time though and no one persons word should be considered as definitive.

ShanksLegend ? Yeah..he has been right before but he has also been wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Perhaps Torres may have a cupla focal with a few of the boys over the summer...on the other hand so may Alonso

Alonso loves Liverpool, if he had anything to say, it would only be good.

IrishMike wrote: »
    [quote=Karmafaerie
    We're about to sign our most expensive defender ever, Garath Barry would be our second most expensive midfielder ever, and are supposedly in talks with Valencia about buying our second most expensive attacker ever![/quote]

Says who?
    Some random guy on RAWK?
    There has been no talk of a move for Villa, in the same way there has been no move for Van Der Vaart[/QUOTE]

You did see that right?!

Yes it's all rumours and hearsay, but there are some very strong indications that Rafa is in talks with Valencia about somebody.
    I've heard that from a number of places (again nothing overly reliable).
    No idea whether it's Silva, Villa, or even Jauquin!
    Either one though, would be our second most expensive attacker ever!
    All I know is that chances are it won't be Morientes!!!:p

On point though, I did clearly say supposedly.

So Rafa is in talks with Valencia over somebody. How do you know it will be out second most expensive attacker ever then ? :pac:

probably end up being their reserve goalkeeper or something :)

So Rafa is in talks with Valencia over somebody. How do you know it will be out second most expensive attacker ever then ? :pac:

The three most likely are those I mentioned.
    You think that we'd get Villa, Silva, or Jauquin for less than £12, million?!!!

• Advertisement

You think that we'd get Villa, Silva, or Jauquin for less than £12, million?!!!
    Rafa knows how to drive a hard bargain :p.

Rafa knows how to drive a hard bargain :p.

So you're saying that we might even get a can of Coke for Voronin, as well as the Mars bar and packet of Tatyo's!!!!!:D

So you're saying that we might even get a can of Coke for Voronin, as well as the Mars bar and packet of Tatyo's!!!!!:D
    I said Rafa could drive a hard bargain. I didn't say he was a miricle worker. Everyone knows we'd be chancing our arm trying to get anything more than a crappy can of diet coke for Voronin :(. We can dream though...

i enjoy slaggin Voronin as much as the next man....

but we are wayyyy too harsh on him tbh

i still want him to get the boat, but he is a decent player

he is a decent player

No he is an average player.
    A journeyman type player.
    Could do a job for a div1 team but is out of his depth at premiership level.
    Not his fault though
    To quote popeye "You is what you is!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he wouldnt make the first 11 of many teams in the prem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I said Rafa could drive a hard bargain. I didn't say he was a miricle worker. Everyone knows we'd be chancing our arm trying to get anything more than a crappy can of diet coke for Voronin :(. We can dream though...

more like that crappy cola that tescos and dunnes make. he's a kvi/yellow pack striker, worst we've had since speedie

hence the reason he is our 4th choice striker.

who is the mancs 4th choice striker? that Dong lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he has a goal every 3 games in the bundesliga with bayer leverkeusen and over 50 intl caps.

he isnt world class, but he is more than a journey man imo

Harry Kewell's representative has refused to comment on claims that the Liverpool winger is set to sign for Celtic. (Press Association, 1308 BST)

If the gimp could stay fit he would be an absolute revelation in scotland.
    Cant see sheree, or whatever the attention loving tart he married is called, agreeing to
    move to Glasgow though.
    Farewell to c.60k a week of disappointment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

If the gimp could stay fit he would be an absolute revelation in scotland.
    Cant see sheree, or whatever the attention loving tart he married is called, agreeing to
    move to Glasgow though.
    Farewell to c.60k a week of disappointment :(

40k a week is what is being mentioned

• Advertisement

emc2 wrote: »
    40k a week is what is being mentioned

Was talking about his wages at Liverpool
    Wasnt he on 57k a week or something astronomical like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Sorry no 40k is what he's looking for from Celtic.

People are definitely too harsh on Voronin. I dont like him and I dont think he is good enough for Liverpool but is definitely good enough for a mid table team.

5 goals in 19 apperances (alot of which would have been subs) in your first season in the premiership isnt all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It's harsh to judge a player who predominantly comes off the bench / plays in nothing matches imo

I do agree though.

I often deffend him to friends.
    If you look back over his records, he's assists and buildup play is great.

Look at the Besiktas game for instance.
    He was involved in the buildup of 5 of the 8 goals!

Some reports estimate as high as 75k at the pool and if Celtic get him it would go down to 40k. Link:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/article3747574.ece
    75k looks way too high to be true. I know is not a done deal with Celtic, but I can still see a team like Newcastle or Sunderland moving in for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

75k looks way too high to be true. I know is not a done deal with Celtic, but I can still see a team like Newcastle or Sunderland moving in for him.

He could be on 75k,when you get a player for cheap as we did with Harry there wages tend to be a good bit better because of the low/no transfer fee.

Dub13 wrote: »
    He could be on 75k,when you get a player for cheap as we did with Harry there wages tend to be a good bit better because of the low/none transfer fee.
    That makes sense and with a big 4 team involved the wages go a level higher. I guess a comparable example would be Duff going to Newcastle and maintaining a similar paypack (also around 70k).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Jazzy wrote: »
    on behalf of everyone on this board - shut the f**k up. villa came 6th last season and seem to be on the way up, whereas liverpool should be higher but are struggling to keep up with the other top 3.
    u sound so pompus in that post its unbelievable. gives all us other pool fans a bad name

Doesnt matter what result they get,they are a small club compared with Liverpool.So on behalf of me - you shut the f**k up!,I was drunk when posting so I wasnt gona bother checking the replies but I thought I would reply to yours.

dc69 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what result they get,they are a small club compared with Liverpool.So on behalf of me - you shut the f**k up!,I was drunk when posting so I wasnt gona bother checking the replies but I thought I would reply to yours.To55er

Learn to take some constructive criticism
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Learn to take some constructive criticism
    :rolleyes:

I would usually agree but in fairness the criticism wasnt constructive from Jazzy,it was abuse if anything.

I would usually agree but in fairness the criticism wasnt constructive from Jazzy,it was abuse if anything.

Your original post was fairly ridiculous though. You'll look quite silly if Barry chooses to stay at Villa..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dc69 wrote:
    To55er

pots and kettles eh?

not my fault that ur pomposity shone through on ur original post about villa being "small" compared to Liverpool. they are the biggest club in Birmigham which is the second biggest city in the UK. are they really that small?
    they also finished 6th last season in the self proclaimed "best league in the world". they have a huge fanbase and a deep history. who exactly are u to call this team small?
    ok so u support liverpool, the most successful team in the UK but that doesnt give u the right to look down ur noses on other teams with a vast history and call them small. u have the right to look down on those teams anyway, whether u choose to or not is entirely up to u tho :)

of course.... some would claim that u would have absolutely no dignity in doing so. some would....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

May I ask how many of you are from Liverpool?

Jazzy wrote: »
    pots and kettles eh?

not my fault that ur pomposity shone through on ur original post about villa being "small" compared to Liverpool. they are the biggest club in Birmigham which is the second biggest city in the UK. are they really that small?
    they also finished 6th last season in the self proclaimed "best league in the world". they have a huge fanbase and a deep history. who exactly are u to call this team small?
    ok so u support liverpool, the most successful team in the UK but that doesnt give u the right to look down ur noses on other teams with a vast history and call them small. u have the right to look down on those teams anyway, whether u choose to or not is entirely up to u tho :)

of course.... some would claim that u would have absolutely no dignity in doing so. some would....

Do you expect me to be embarresed that I look upon other clubs with a pompose attitude.I was drunk last night but I will openly say that thats my general view anyway and its not something I am ashamed of,I see no reason as to why I should be tbh?

They are a well supported club,so I shouldnt have called them small but Liverpool are a bigger club,one of the big clubs in europe,so I would still hold the view that we should be getting players if we want them.

As for the last comment,I apologise.
    hunter164 wrote: »

I would say 0,but then its an Irish forum so demographics would generally suggest this anyway.Are you a hunter?
    Your original post was fairly ridiculous though. You'll look quite silly if Barry chooses to stay at Villa..
    Its been said now,so I will have to pray:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well, none - obviously! :pac: Since when did that sort of thing matter?

Mike.

Well why are youse all having Mickey fits when a fella slags Liverpool??

Well why are youse all having Mickey fits when a fella slags Liverpool??

No one is having fits.I think you should read back,to the post very late last night to understand,what I have been posting about.It was a drunken comment from me but its all done with now.

Anyway as Liverpool fans,you dont need to be from Liverpool to defend the thing you love.

Some reports estimate as high as 75k at the pool and if Celtic get him it would go down to 40k. Link:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/article3747574.ece

The £75,000 was how much he cost LFC per game played.
    It takes into acc his wages, and transfer fee, divide by his number of caps.

He made about £50,000 a week in wages before taxes.

• Advertisement

Anyway as Liverpool fans,you dont need to be from Liverpool to defend the thing you love.

Jesus, get out a bit more will ya.Where you from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement