Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 88 - 2 Great Goals; 1 Dodgy Song (Help Wanted).

• 24-05-2008 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

As another Ireland-less Euro champs rolls around misty-eyed nostalgia has recently begun to rear its misty head. So off I went to have a trawl through YouTube for the following items:

1) Ray Houghton's goal against England in Stuttgart (with commentary by George Hamilton)

2) Ronnie's scissor-kick shinner from outside the box against the USSR in Hanover (with George again - "Ohh! Whheeeeelllann!!")

Though I've found highlight reels and other bits and bobs I can't find an actual video for either of these that just runs as it would have on RTE (without irritating music etc). Pain in the hole.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I have a dim memory of the Irish team on The Late Late just before leaving for Germany singing some dreadful official tournament song or other. Was it "We are the Boys in Green"? I know that the tune got trotted out again at Italia 90 but am I wrong in thinking that it made its debut for Euro 88?

Any video/audio evidence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I see what you mean. Alot of those old tribute videos have blotted over the match commentary with background music. Just a suggestion. Would it be on the Jack Charlton: glory years dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Will try the DVD, but was really hoping for something online that I could embed on the old blog. Really surprised that there aren't more relevant uploads on YouTube.

A friend has confirmed that the official song was, indeed, "Boys in Green". "Germany" was changed to "Italy" for its Italia 90 re-release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Scissors kick ?

Sideways volley with his shin is more accurate

BolBill wrote: »

But less catchy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

BolBill wrote: »
    Scissors kick ?

Ah yes, but what a shin volley!

I remember trying the same move out repeatedly in football matches for months afterwards. I don't think I ever managed to even get the ball on target :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think that was George Hamilton commentating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DesF wrote: »
    I don't think that was George Hamilton commentating though.
    The video I posted isn't him, that's for sure. Unless George was a lot more German-sounding in those days :).

A very, very kind board member (MicDestroyer) is sending me some relevant DVDs free of charge. What a legend.

Spam.

Reported.

Spam.

Reported.

Er...what?:confused:

• Advertisement

Spam.

Reported.

If you're referring to the bit of self-promotion in the previous post then I've taken it out. Didn't realise I was contravening rules. You could have just asked!

omg, sorry.

I was joking.

Sorry.

omg, sorry.

I was joking.

Sorry.

Ah. I see.

Your "mod" status led me to take you most seriously.

No harm done.

Your "mod" status led me to take you most seriously.

:pac:

lol

Put the link back will you? I've a quiet afternoon in work ;)

:pac:

lol

Put the link back will you? I've a quiet afternoon in work ;)

Ok. After some confusion (!) here's the (George-Hamilton-less) Ronnie vid on me new Euro 2008 blog (Super Euro Soccer Party):

http://www.fustar.info/category/euro2008/

Join in the chatter if you fancy it. Plenty more to come over the next month.

Advertisement