Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age of taxis

• 24-05-2008 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have been in a few conversations here about taxis and being in town something has occurred to me. All this talk of age of taxis is stupid. I saw two taxis beside each other on College Green. One an 01 Corolla, the other a 97 Lexus LS400. One would be suitable under new regulations, the other wouldn't. I know which of the two I'd rather travel in. And all this talk of safety equipment in newer cars is nonsense. I'd say the older car mentioned above would have a better safety spec than the newer one, or even a brand new Corolla or even an Avensis. Thing is, I don't know how this can be enforced. I reckon that the revenue should write off nct and vat on brand new E-classes, let them run for as long as is possible, prosecute anyone using them in the bus lane when they are do not have the meter running. Link them to individuals so if someone's wife is using it; fine the registered keeper. Have them painted in a certain colour with the metal license attached to the bonnet with a big bolt. And finally, have the taxi regulator encourage people to take another taxi if they feel the one they're getting into is substandard.

The result: The public get a nice car. The driver gets a nice working environment. The part time crowd have to put a minimum level of investment and those with decent cars of a certain age can continue to operate them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

PRND wrote: »
    And finally, have the taxi regulator encourage people to take another taxi if they feel the one they're getting into is substandard.

I heard the previous regulator John Deering encouraging people to do this, it's your right to pick the first or last or whatever Taxi you want from the rank, it's just the driver may not take you as there's an unwritten rule between them that first car takes first passengers but no such law exists.

I agree with you that there's plenty of fine cars on the road some over 10 years that have plenty of years left in them for Taxiing, enforcing a rule on what consitutes a good or bad one would be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PRND wrote: »
    The result: The public get a nice car. The driver gets a nice working environment. The part time crowd have to put a minimum level of investment and those with decent cars of a certain age can continue to operate them.
    ...........and it would be more difficult for commercially taxed vehicles to be used as private family transport when off duty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bklack cabs would be a better solution I think....and would instantly be recognisable as different to unlicensed vehices...

.i dont think age of vehicle should be a concern...conditon and suitablilty to carry 4 passengers and their luggage should and CLEARLY a Coroola is NOT suitable to be a taxi (and Ive seen smaller than that too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And any chance you can go and convince Kathleen of those simple facts anyone can see ?
    Last time I heard her waffling she badly needed a reality check.

Advertisement