Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Believing in god doesn't explain the beginning

Options
  • 24-05-2008 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

You all know the argument about the beginning of time etc. The thing that strikes me about the argument that god started it all is the fact that the proponents of this argument usually say that we can't have come from nowhere, something does not come from nothing.

Most of these people would realise it's too hard to argue against evolution and simply say that something had to start the evolutionary cycle, and that evolution doesn't explain the beginning. They say something had to start it all... yet they accept that god just was... he has always been there. They will more easily accept that a supernatural being was always there rather than the matter that might have been there which kicked off the evolution of our species.

I don't know, I mean I know it's a slightly obvious point but, the bottom line is they will not accept that something could just be (like whatever was there before the big bang) but yet they say that god just was. I say, if you'll accept that something just was, why not let that be the substances that could possibly have exploded into other things to set off this whole cycle as opposed to a god who we are seemingly in the image of, so a human-like god that just floated around with nothing to do. I know I'm preaching to the converted here and I'm not trying to be a smart ass but it seems the argument that god gives us an explanation of creation is at least as "weak" as any scientific theory.

Also, on an unrelated note... Was it only Joseph and Mary's word that Mary was a virgin or did the people who wrote the bible have any evidence? lol that just popped into my head.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

What on earth does evolution have to do with the beginning of the universe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

prob means the evolution of the planets and universe, not evolution through natural selection but still evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You're assuming god is governed by time but we don't know if time exsists or how it "flows" outside our universe ;)

prob means the evolution of the planets and universe, not evolution through natural selection but still evolution.

Thats what I thought until I read 'evolution of our species', but maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

God is omnipotent, he doesn't have to make sense, heretic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Indeed. One of the most striking moments in the God Delusion (ofr me anyway) was the mathematical demonstration of how much more improbable the existence of god was than the the existence of the universe and the development of advanced life within it without his help.

God just replaces a question with a question.

Oh, and in a culture that stoned adulterers, you'd probably say pretty much anything if you'd gone and got yourself pregnant with the wrong guy ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What on earth does evolution have to do with the beginning of the universe?
    He refers to theists who accept evolution, but who then go on to assert God must exist because we can't explain who invented the 'matter' that we all evolved from.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zillah wrote: »
    God is omnipotent, he doesn't have to make sense, heretic.

Actually, christians do impose one restriction on gods omnipotence, the principle of 'non-contradiction' (some also say he can not lie, but that's just something they made up to try and avoid the argument 'what if god is just fuking with us')

God can do anything he likes as long as he doesn't contradict himself.

Which is pretty wierd because humans who are far less than omnipotent are full of internal contradictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Akrasia wrote: »
    Actually, christians do impose one restriction on gods omnipotence, the principle of 'non-contradiction' (some also say he can not lie, but that's just something they made up to try and avoid the argument 'what if god is just fuking with us')

God can do anything he likes as long as he doesn't contradict himself.

Which is pretty wierd because humans who are far less than omnipotent are full of internal contradictions

Hmm, is this a misunderstanding or a misrepresntation of the principle of non-contradiction? The issue is not whether God could contradict Himself as a person does, but whether something can be both x and y where both x & y are mutually exclusive terms. For example, the principle of non-contradiction says something can not be both circular and square at the same time.

One of the funny things about the principle of non-contradiction is that in order to refute it you must assume it in the first place. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Dades wrote: »
    He refers to theists who accept evolution, but who then go on to assert God must exist because we can't explain who invented the 'matter' that we all evolved from.

I don't think much of that argument either, but sometimes a follow-up argument comes from atheists along the lines of, ''Well, what came before God then? No answer to that? See, your talking ****e.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

You all know the argument about the beginning of time etc. The thing that strikes me about the argument that god started it all is the fact that the proponents of this argument usually say that we can't have come from nowhere, something does not come from nothing.

Most of these people would realise it's too hard to argue against evolution and simply say that something had to start the evolutionary cycle, and that evolution doesn't explain the beginning. They say something had to start it all... yet they accept that god just was... he has always been there. They will more easily accept that a supernatural being was always there rather than the matter that might have been there which kicked off the evolution of our species.

I don't know, I mean I know it's a slightly obvious point but, the bottom line is they will not accept that something could just be (like whatever was there before the big bang) but yet they say that god just was. I say, if you'll accept that something just was, why not let that be the substances that could possibly have exploded into other things to set off this whole cycle as opposed to a god who we are seemingly in the image of, so a human-like god that just floated around with nothing to do. I know I'm preaching to the converted here and I'm not trying to be a smart ass but it seems the argument that god gives us an explanation of creation is at least as "weak" as any scientific theory.

Also, on an unrelated note... Was it only Joseph and Mary's word that Mary was a virgin or did the people who wrote the bible have any evidence? lol that just popped into my head.

There was no "before" the big bang. Asking what was before the big bang is the same as asking what is north of the north pole. It doesn't make sense as time was created along with the big bang. Time is not merely a backing track to which life plays out, it is a physical part of our universe that is affected by gravity. In order for something to be before something else you must have a timeline, but with the big bang, the timeline started at the same time the big bang occurred. It is natural for us humans who have taken time for granted to always think there must be something before something else, there must be a cause to an effect, but in a place where time does not exist the normal rules do not apply.

Its is hard to comprehend a place where time does not exist, and it is equally perplexing to imagine how from absolute nothingness came the Universe. But all that we can say for sure about the big bang is that something happened. That is it! We just have to accept that at this moment in time we do not know how something came from nothing in the form of the big bang, and as we know from our history it has always been the norm to fill in the incomprehendable gaps in our knowledge with god. In this way, one could define god as "that which is incomprehendable". So if you define god in that way, you could say god did create the universe and still be an atheist. If I am not mistaken, I think Einstein used god in this way, something that religious people often use to promote their creation bull****.

PDN wrote: »
    Hmm, is this a misunderstanding or a misrepresntation of the principle of non-contradiction? The issue is not whether God could contradict Himself as a person does, but whether something can be both x and y where both x & y are mutually exclusive terms. For example, the principle of non-contradiction says something can not be both circular and square at the same time.

One of the funny things about the principle of non-contradiction is that in order to refute it you must assume it in the first place. :)

The principle also becomes increasingly irrelevant as knowledge improves. Quantum mechanics shows that things can in fact be both x and y... e.g. light which behaves as both a wave and a particle depending on the circumstances and/or method of observation. The principle of contradiction only really reflects humanity's limited perspective - the filters through which we view the world are necessary for our survival but don't show us anything like 'the truth'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Akrasia wrote: »
    Actually, christians do impose one restriction on gods omnipotence, the principle of 'non-contradiction'
    Not all christians do impose restrictions. AFAIR, there's at least one poster in the Other Place who does believe that god can create square circles and the like, were he of a mind to. Apparently, the understanding is that it's only impossible right up until the time at which it happens, at which point it becomes possible (or something like that; I couldn't quite follow it). I seem to remember that Lewis Carroll sat down and had a good think about omnipotence and categorized the various classes. Can't remember what he decided and too lazy to google it.

And while I'm rambling, I turned on the telly one sunday morning a month or two back and got to hear a choir of kids -- and adults, mind! -- singing "My God Is So Big".

Anyhow, I can't help but wonder if all this talk of deistic omnipotence hides a fear of sexual impotence? I'm sure Freud had something to say about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

One important point that theists sometimes overlook has to do where theories like "Evolution" and "Big Bang" came from. It's hard to get through to them that they started with observations of the world and the universe. They did not start as abstract philosophical experiments, or expressions of human preconceptions and desires.

Evolution: Charles Darwin's observations on the Galapagos Islands lead him to examine the effect that differing isolated environments play in the development of physical features, such as the beaks of finches.

Big Bang: Edwin Hubble observes the Red Shift in the spectra of remote stars, and finds a correlation between their distances and the magnitude of the shift. Theory: the universe is expanding. Corollary: it was once smaller. Much smaller.

There's no point in attacking the people behind these ideas, or other people who agree with them. You could replace Darwin and Hubble with aliens, and it would not matter, because it starts with the observations, not with the specific people and their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd be atheistic with regard to all human religion and interventionist god and agnostic with regard to a deistic creator of the universe. I don't believe there was a god creator of the universe but we can never know.

What always gets me though is how so many of the non fundamentalist moderate religionists, ie those that see the bible as metaphorical, allegorical etc who actually believe the bible is quite fallible and wrong in so many ways, who even accept it as a flawed book written by men.ie. those most likely to fall back on, 'but who created the universe if there were no God'.

Well I just can't understand how one extrapolates from a position of not being able to comprehend the existance of the universe without a god creating it, to believing in the christian god and his son who died for our sins on a cross in a backwards desert country on the eastern mediterreanian circa 2008 years ago. How are they connected. How is the former a justification in believing in the latter??

Calibos wrote: »
    Well I just can't understand how one extrapolates from a position of not being able to comprehend the existance of the universe without a god creating it, to believing in the christian god and his son who died for our sins on a cross in a backwards desert country on the eastern mediterreanian circa 2008 years ago. How are they connected. How is the former a justification in believing in the latter??

They aren't connected at all. There's no justification whatsoever, it's usually just an unfortunate coincidence between an accident of history and an accident of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea, to clarify, what I'm basically saying is that these people are willing to accept that a god can either come from nothing or just always existed, but will argue to death that it isn't possible in the case of scientific theories like the big bang.

Yea, to clarify, what I'm basically saying is that these people are willing to accept that a god can either come from nothing or just always existed, but will argue to death that it isn't possible in the case of scientific theories like the big bang.
    Yes. There's a strong tendency that would be irritating (were it not quite funny too) to deny to the arguments of others, the infinite structural flexibility they permit in their own -- they're not called "holey" for nothing.

God is the exact same shape as the gap in our knowledge.

God is the exact same shape as the gap in our knowledge.
    Aye, and he no like the things that the religious no like either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Could this thread (and most other threads in this forum) be a little less snipey? I don't see any anti-atheist/anti-agnostic threads descending into such spiteful digs by a few cranks. And TBH, I like reading the threads here otherwise, except the utter self-righteousness that quite a few regulars express. Its worse than the damn christianity forum!!

How can anyone be so utterly full of themselves? Its a real turn off when people try to read about the information posted here!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

maoleary wrote: »
    Could this thread (and most other threads in this forum) be a little less snipey? I don't see any anti-atheist/anti-agnostic threads descending into such spiteful digs by a few cranks.

You should check out that Creationism thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Could this thread (and most other threads in this forum) be a little less snipey? I don't see any anti-atheist/anti-agnostic threads descending into such spiteful digs by a few cranks. And TBH, I like reading the threads here otherwise, except the utter self-righteousness that quite a few regulars express. Its worse than the damn christianity forum!!

How can anyone be so utterly full of themselves? Its a real turn off when people try to read about the information posted here!

Totally agree. There seems to be a definite belief in some here that those with faith are somehow lesser people. Essentially, we will never known the answer to this question. And discussing it here, seems to be little more than an excercise in how much knowledge some people have on the topic and how to go about lording this knowledge over others.

Ive seen this topic on other Forums discussed rationally, fairly and with people in mind.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Totally agree. There seems to be a definite belief in some here that those with faith are somehow lesser people. Essentially, we will never known the answer to this question. And discussing it here, seems to be little more than an excercise in how much knowledge some people have on the topic and how to go about lording this knowledge over others.

Ive seen this topic on other Forums discussed rationally, fairly and with people in mind.

+1

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy debate, I enjoy reading what the regular posters write. I hate the supremacist thinking displayed. I hate the foreboding arrogance that they must be right because they think the Roman Catholic Church didn't satisfy their curiosity, as though no other Christianity existed.

People who avoid the idea of God, don't like the idea of being in subjection to a higher authority. The idea that they might be subject to rules that mean they need to change their behaviours. There's a certain arrogance on this forum. And that needs to be changed.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out lads...

Rather than a general rant, you could be more specific regarding what you have read and disagree with.

For example, I disagree with this:
    People who avoid the idea of God, don't like the idea of being in subjection to a higher authority. The idea that they might be subject to rules that mean they need to change their behaviours.
    You are suggesting that people's beliefs are based on something other than simply what they believe to be the truth, in this case a preference to not be subject to a higher power. While maybe your own beliefs are tempered by a more agreeable outcome, I assure you a genuine atheist does not concern themself with questions of what believing one side over the other entails when looking for 'truth'.
    There's a certain arrogance on this forum. And that needs to be changed.
    The is undoubtedly an air of self-assuredness which sometimes crosses the line. But it is public forum and posters can express their views however they see fit, as long as it doesn't get personal.

But to me arrogance would be believing that, by an accident of birth, you are one of Gods chosen people and will have eternal life while the rest of the worlds population burn in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

disagreement-hierarchy.jpg

See you at the top, chaps.

(And yes, I realise I've just compounded the impression of snideness, and I don't care.)

Sapien wrote: »
    disagreement-hierarchy.jpg

See you at the top, chaps.

(And yes, I realise I've just compounded the impression of snideness, and I don't care.)

Didn't mean to come across so badly! :pac:

Don't get me wrong, I like the forum. It just gets a bit wearing. There's a lot of intolerance here at times, like the inquisition or something. :D

But to me arrogance would be believing that, by an accident of birth, you are one of Gods chosen people and will have eternal life while the rest of the worlds population burn in hell.

Well that's utter roman catholic hogwash.

Hell was never described as a real place in true word for word translations of scripture. You have to earn your salvation, you cannot be born into it. Roman catholics are nuts for baptising babies that cannot possibly make such a decision in their lives.

You should not judge all religion by one wishy-washy "We can't explain it, thus its a mystery" crackpot group.

• Advertisement

Didn't mean to come across so badly! :pac:

Don't get me wrong, I like the forum. It just gets a bit wearing. There's a lot of intolerance here at times, like the inquisition or something. :D
    It's all good. :)

I think people do like to blow off a bit of steam in here. 'Questioning' religion has been taboo for so long people get excited when they come across somewhere that doesn't really hold them back. TBH I thought this thread was fine - there are definitely worse ones.
    You should not judge all religion by one wishy-washy "We can't explain it, thus its a mystery" crackpot group.
    Not sure it's just the RCs who think that way! Anyhoo religions are judged one at a time here. ;)

Advertisement