Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Problem

Options
  • 24-05-2008 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi folks

Probably stating the obvious here but have I have a Sony LCD television - Purchased about 18 months ago. Anyway over the last week or so a green line is appearing down the left hand side of the screen - It goes from top to bottom - Would I be correct in assuming this is the tube and if so any recommendations as to corrective action to take ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

LCD's don't have Tubes, they are ink based so it doesn't look good.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 7croghan

Thanks for that - Time for a new TV in your opinion then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

7croghan wrote: »
    Thanks for that - Time for a new TV in your opinion then ?

I'm no expert in this field but I believe that they don't really every fix them they only replace them under warranty, outside of that it's get a new one.

I was recently in the market for one & put the issue of repair to the dealer (Know him well) so he basically said the above to me & that they were a bit like the kettle & toaster scenario, throw away items.

He also told me if I bought of him he would be fairly reasonable with regard to the time frame on Warranty. He more or less said that if the screen went anytime up to 6 months after warranty he would get it replaced for me.

I know how these LCD screens are manufactures & the actual screens can't be repaired, only replaced.

I still think that for the money these sets cost it's a very bad deal to think that technically you could shell out anywhere between 1200 -1500 bucks & within 13 months you could be left with a brick. (I didn't purchase)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you have the time and the determination , you should be able to get the unit replaced for free under the sales of goods act , A TV should last more than 18 months , that would come under the " reasonably durable " part of your rights.

Take it to the seller first and see if they will replace the item , if not , for a small nominal fee , you can take them to court , tell them that , and see what they say , if they still wont replace it then do it , take them to court.

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

Its only nine euros to bring a claim to the court , the link is the same site , found here ,

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_smallclaims.html

You can register your complaint here as well.

Advertisement