Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillary Does it Again!

Options
  • 24-05-2008 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Boy there are some thing you don't say.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3994999.ece
    Hillary Clinton rushed out an apology last night after citing the 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy as a reason for her to remain in the race against Barack Obama — an extraordinary admission which caught her campaign aides off guard.

Mrs Clinton, dismissing the idea of abandoning her increasingly longshot attempt to win the Democratic presidential nomination, said in South Dakota: “My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. You know I just, I don’t understand it.”

She added that she did not understand why, given this history, some Democrats were calling for her to quit. The former First Lady had been responding to a question from a newspaper editorial board.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

With Clinton's latest gaffe one would almost think that is the only way she is going to get the nomination by the other candidate being shot. Is that what she is expecting? It is not the first time she has said this either. This is the woman who would obliterate Iran. Time to quit Clinton nobody takes you seriously and your big mouth is all you have left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can see what she was trying to mean, about the fact that the Democrats have often before not had a nominee in June and that people should stop criticising her for not withdrawing by now, but it was perhaps not the best example to support her statement.

Her damage control has been pitiful though. "With Kennedy's tumour, the family has been in my thoughts much recently and this may have led me to make a Kennedy reference which was inappropriate." My arse.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is she hoping ted will die before june too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

It's quite sad to see her campaign disintegrate like this, but these comments really mean the end for not only her presidential, but vice presidential campaign as well.

The comment was supposedly to demonstrate that campaigns go on until June, but if that's the case her examples are bizarrely selected. Clinton had it wrapped up long before June, and that campaign started in March. Bobby Kennedy only entered the race in May. She should/could have mentioned 1972, or perhaps 1980.

But all this pales in comparison to this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis not loading.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

mike65 wrote: »
    Tis not loading.

Mike.
    it's the emerging story about fox contributor Liz Trotta joking that it would be good if both Osama and Obama were killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYpkvcmog0

Fox have really hit a new low. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i'm not so quick to jump on Clinton about this one. She said the same thing to Time magazine back in March and there was no furore and little negative comment. Ted Kennedy wasn't in the news then and i suppose a lot of people weren't thinking sbout the fortieth anniversary of RFK's murder that's upcoming next week.

Still, she showed bad judgement in her choice of words, particularly the use of 'assassination'. Everyone seems to accept that Obama is at a higher risk of it and that's why he got the Secret Service protection ages ago, well before McCain. Hopefully they'll do their job.

The cynic in me (and i suspect others on this forum) wants to believe that she was doing this to imply that there is at least a possibility that he might get whacked, which would hand her the nom. To be honest though, i don't believe she's that evil. It seems more likely that she was just pointing out that these things have run on in the past and this year really isn't exceptional.

She could have instead invoked the memory of the 1980 Democratic convention, when the aforementioned Senator Ted Kennedy only failed in his bid to beat the incumbent, but unpopular President Carter to the nomination, on the floor of the convention. This would have been a less egregious link, but wouldn't have been so memorable.

Meh, i dunno. Maybe she is Machiavelli incarnate afterall.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

norbert64 wrote: »
    it's the emerging story about fox contributor Liz Trotta joking that it would be good if both Osama and Obama were killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYpkvcmog0

Fox have really hit a new low. :eek:

Pretty nasty & distastful stuff

Advertisement