Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MP4 trimmer?

• 24-05-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought the Pinnacle Video transfer that can encode any video input signal to MP4. For the most part when I'm using this device I just leave the thing recording overnight and in the morning I have the programme I want to see. PVT works by continually increasing the file size of the recording until the file hits 4gigs and then it just continutes recording with a second file until that reaches 4gigs and so on.

The problem is that now I have a lot of 4 gig files that can be as much 90% wasted space because I may for example only have wanted 30mins out of the 7hour (4 gig) recording.

I need a program that can trim off the "fat", the before and after and leave me with just a 30min (500meg) file.

I found a programme that was ideal by a company called Allok but the only problem is that it can't handle 4gig files. :(

So basically what I'm looking for is a user friendly program that trim Mp4 files that are as large as 4gig in size.

All recommendations gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does Windows Movie Maker do that? I'm on linux atm so can't check, but i thought you can do stuff like that easily enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just bumping this in the hope that someone knows a good prog that could help me. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Dvdshrink use to do this type of thing. Not sure what formats are supported anymore ,I haven't used it in years.

dvdshrink32.exe is the filename.

Heres a link http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Thing is does it (as the name suggests) just shrink a big file down to a smaller?

HDD storage or file Size is not a particular problem for me. I just don't want a seven hour file where only 30mins is relevant irrespective of the filesize.

Its for cutting up the file without altrering the bitrate. It's been so long since I used it though ,not sure of the ins and outs of it.

• Advertisement

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Tried dvdshrink. It appears to be purely for compressing DVD data and will not accept mp4 files.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry bout that ,thought it was for mpeg files.
    Maybe try the HTPC forum or the portable media player forum.
    Sometimes lads use convertors and video tools for mobiles/media players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

http://www.virtualdub.org/ will do the job
    but its a manual process you have cut to pits you dont want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, dvdshrink isn't intended for anything like that.

I haven't used it but I've seen Blender recommended for this very thing (using the video sequence editor part of the app).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

ImTOO Video cutter works for mp4.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

try doom9.org

Advertisement