Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair practice of lecturers in UCC

• 24-05-2008 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I happened upon a bit of information that really annoyed me. A person I know is renowned for living in the offices of lecturers around exam/assignment time but someone I know accomponied him on one occasion and found that the lecturer, after some persuasion practially gave them the upcoming exam, told them what answers to prepare and even said he would review the answers before the exam takes place! I had often wondered just how the person involved was getting high marks across the board when he didnt come across as being particularly bright to me. Now I know why.

I think this is really unfair practice on the part of lecturers, what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I happened upon a bit of information that really annoyed me. A person I know is renowned for living in the offices of lecturers around exam/assignment time but someone I know accomponied him on one occasion and found that the lecturer, after some persuasion practially gave them the upcoming exam, told them what answers to prepare and even said he would review the answers before the exam takes place! I had often wondered just how the person involved was getting high marks across the board when he didnt come across as being particularly bright to me. Now I know why.

I think this is really unfair practice on the part of lecturers, what do you think?

You're only finding this out now :)

Why do you think mature students etc get such great marks. They get friendly with the lecturers and go for pints with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d_tobin1

I don't know what lecturer of subject this relates to but I can only comment on my own course. I regularly talk to my lecturers about what I'm studying or focusing on at the time and I've nver been given any advantagous information with regards to exams or assignments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Well I'm not going to name names, for obvious reasons. But I thought I would vent my frustration nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Department so??

I would rather not name depts either, the last thing I need to do is rattle a few cages at this stage of things. As I said, I just felt the need to vent my annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Why do you think mature students etc get such great marks. They get friendly with the lecturers and go for pints with them
    I thought the exact same when I read the first post...definately a mature student

I thought the exact same when I read the first post...definately a mature student

He is, but so am I! I don't blame yer man at all though, do what ye can to get ahead and all, but it just annoys me that this kinda thing goes on. I know another group of lads whos coach for their sports team was dishing out exam questions to members of the team as well. I know this goes on in all walks of life but it still pisses me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Or they've grown out of the childish taking the piss stage that most young people are at? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

i would like to know the department so i dont apply to it

was interested in

chem science
    biochem
    commerece & german
    BIS
    computer science

cuz i live in cork, doing leaving

There'll be no naming and shaming of departments on this forum. Also, I would take anything I read on here with a pinch of salt, it's not like you can tell who is who.

• Advertisement

As I said, Im not naming anyone. Nor will I respond to PM's asking me for this. I was just having a rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

don't let something like that influence your decision. it's more important that you chose the course you want. you can deal with possible issues later on.
    college is a big place and there's no guarantee you'll have any lecturers that anyone else has.

If anything this thread should be a positive lesson to those who heed it. Pester the **** out of your lecturers for hints on exam papers.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

At least they brought in the anonymous marking system anyway; we'd be worse off without it.

adamd164 wrote: »
    At least they brought in the anonymous marking system anyway; we'd be worse off without it.

I disagree, from the majority of lecturers I talked to names on papers was a way of more genuinely rewarding people's work during the year. People were more likely to be marked up than down, which is opposite to the reason for bringing it in (i.e. that lecturers could fail people they'd a set against). From thinking of their essays handed in or other work a lecturer might be better able to make sense of exam answers.

They still had to justify all marks to the externs, it's not like they could randomly distribute marks according to whim and get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

This is a pile of ****e, I'm a mature student and never had any lecturer tell me anything or treat me like i wasn't like the younger students. This is made up by younger students who can't get past 55% and blame some kind of unreal situation which does not exist rather than facing the fact that you are not competent.

eternal wrote: »
    This is a pile of ****e, I'm a mature student and never had any lecturer tell me anything or treat me like i wasn't like the younger students. This is made up by younger students who can't get past 55% and blame some kind of unreal situation which does not exist rather than facing the fact that you are not competent.

No, it's someone from five years ago doing some trolling.

Advertisement