Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Borealis

Options
  • 24-05-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Can you see this on transatlantic flights at night or am I being stupid???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You can see it pretty much anywhere, I've never seen it unfortunately, far north is most likely where you'll see it. If you're travelling to LAX/SFO on the northerly NATS' theres a good chance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Traveling to BOS from SNN. I'd love to see it out of the window in a serene night sky...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Fabio wrote: »
    Can you see this on transatlantic flights at night or am I being stupid???

Yes it can be seen on cloudless nights over the Atlantic,more chance in winter months as its dark for longer on your trip. And assuming the lights are dimmed in the cabin.However it can difficult to see from the cabin due to the smaller windows and as its mostly overhead,you really have to be lucky to glance out during the small window that it may be visible. As stated above a northerly track from LAX/SFO or even ORD gives the best chance of seeing it.
    It can easily be seen from the cockpit with large windows and wide field of vision. have never got a photo of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its possbile......would not be flying very far north in that case but it is possbile. Keep the fingers crossed..!!!

If I happen to catch any photos I'll have them up here...thanks lads.

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    If I happen to catch any photos I'll have them up here...thanks lads.

WHile it may sound stupid: a window seat on the left of the airvcraft would be your best spot. facing north on the return.

Anytime I have seen it from the cockpit it has been more evident to the 11 o'clock high position.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Yes, back in March SFO - DUB over Greenland. I was actually on the right (facing South). A sublime show.

Cooooool!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

you do know you can see it in Ireland if conditions are right?

I've seen it in Athenry around January 2004 (11pm), Bray October 1992 (around 3.30am on way home from work) and Dec 1992 (around 2:am)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

amen wrote: »
    you do know you can see it in Ireland if conditions are right?

I've seen it in Athenry around January 2004 (11pm), Bray October 1992 (around 3.30am on way home from work) and Dec 1992 (around 2:am)

Saw it myself in Dublin, either late 1991 or early 1992. Would have been relatively early (before midnight anyway).

• Advertisement

peter1892 wrote: »
    Saw it myself in Dublin, either late 1991 or early 1992. Would have been relatively early (before midnight anyway).

Does anyone know if you can get info on predicting its appearence. Are there actual factors in its visibility and strength. Sunspot activity,ambient temp, angle of Earth, recent weather events. I overlook a park and its great at night for seeing stars,less ambient lights from nearby buildings. Obviously a clear sky is good so in theory cloudless winter (darker for longer) nights would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Bramble wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get info on predicting its appearence. Are there actual factors in its visibility and strength. Sunspot activity,ambient temp, angle of Earth, recent weather events. I overlook a park and its great at night for seeing stars,less ambient lights from nearby buildings. Obviously a clear sky is good so in theory cloudless winter (darker for longer) nights would be best.

Didn't read this myself but there might be some info you will find useful :)

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/

Advertisement