Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quinn direct open policy

• 24-05-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

hi,

im 20 and im insured with quinn direct on a 1.4 golf. i have a learners permit at the moment but i was told that when i get a full licence i can get an open policy with quinn direct which would allow me to drive any car. i though you had to be at least 24-25 to use this? is this true and if so what are the conditions?

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

only way to know for sure is to ring them. i was with them last year with a full license for 2 years and im 24 and they wouldnt give me open insurance.

with ryanair / FBD now though who do :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

what ur talking about is a 3rd party extension, if ya get full licence it will cover ya to drive any private vehicle not owned by u or hired to u, open drive covers any one from 25-65 with a full licence to drive ur vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

guil07 wrote: »
    what ur talking about is a 3rd party extension, if ya get full licence it will cover ya to drive any private vehicle not owned by u or hired to u, open drive covers any one from 25-65 with a full licence to drive ur vehicle

I'm with quinn myself, as are several mates of mine.

Once you have a full license, you are covered to drive any vehicle with the owners consent regardless of your age ( I'm 18 ). I have confirmed this with quinn as have most people I know with quinn.

Most policys you do need to be between 25-65 to drive any car, but with quinn its different.

The down side is, I am only covered 3rd Party in that car. ( 3rd party extension )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

tdc wrote: »
    hi,

im 20 and im insured with quinn direct on a 1.4 golf. i have a learners permit at the moment but i was told that when i get a full licence i can get an open policy with quinn direct which would allow me to drive any car. i though you had to be at least 24-25 to use this? is this true and if so what are the conditions?

thanks

To clarify,

You will not have an open policy, you will have driving of other cars.

Driving of other Cars; Allows you to drive anyones car with the owners permitition. There are restrictions on this with some companies you wont be allowed drive anything passed a 2.5ltr or a car thats worth more than 60k (current market value). also the car has to be insured by the owner, this stops ppl buying 5 cars insuring one and then claiming they are covered on all of them as they own them. A lot of companies apply this automatically when the insured passes their test at no extra/minimul cost.

Open Policy/ Driving; Allows other people to drive your car under your policy, this largely apllies to over twenty fives with a full licence. There is certain criteria for this but i am not entirely familiar with it. I do know that there is a a charge for this and it is not automatically applied it has to be requested and there is a (sizeable) charge.

P.s I hate that term "open policy" so vague and is usually used by scummers who insure a ****box 205 but also run a Pulsar Gti-r completely uninsured but claim they are insured because a cust rep in an insurance company may have mentioned the two words "open" and "policy" in the course of the call. And yes i am talking aboput a certain individual that is inclined to drink and then drive home from knocklyon to clodalkin...in the GTI-R /// rant

Sorry for the rant the first half of the post is certainly relevant...

I wish the companies would take the ambiguity out of insurance.

I used to work in insurance and confusion over terminology is widespread and in some cases has left people without coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DaveyGem wrote: »
    And yes i am talking aboput a certain individual that is inclined to drink and then drive home from knocklyon to clodalkin...in the GTI-R /// rant

why dont you report this driver to the gardai ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

draffodx wrote: »
    why dont you report this driver to the gardai ??

you actually want this geezer to get ripped off by the insurance industry of ireland like the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Quinn do an open policy but it's on the car not the driver. I got it for my Dad, once the driver is over 25 and has a full licence anyone can drive his car. It worked out cheaper than putting me as a named driver on his policy.

Edit, Just read DaveyGem's post, I think it added another 200 to my dad's policy.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

yes sorry, open policy was the wrong choice of words. 3rd party extension is what im talking about. thanks for all the help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skree

i was wondering if this 3rd party extention is possible to use as a way to drive a car bigger than a 1 litre coming off a ban.

I myself am coming off a drink driving ban. It was unfortunate as it was the morning after and i had slept and did think that i would be alright but obviously not.

so i was wondering if anyone knew do quinn allow this for people with a ban?

also what is the differance between an endorsment on your lisence and a ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

skree wrote: »
    i was wondering if this 3rd party extention is possible to use as a way to drive a car bigger than a 1 litre coming off a ban.

I myself am coming off a drink driving ban. It was unfortunate as it was the morning after and i had slept and did think that i would be alright but obviously not.

so i was wondering if anyone knew do quinn allow this for people with a ban?

also what is the differance between an endorsment on your lisence and a ban?
    If you want a definite answer then you'll have to ask the ins co in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Driving of other Cars; Allows you to drive anyones car with the owners permitition. There are restrictions on this with some companies you wont be allowed drive anything passed a 2.5ltr or a car thats worth more than 60k (current market value). also the car has to be insured by the owner, this stops ppl buying 5 cars insuring one and then claiming they are covered on all of them as they own them. A lot of companies apply this automatically when the insured passes their test at no extra/minimul cost.

Someone on here claims to have a letter from their insurers (Quinn, I think) stating that they don't require the other car to be insured by its owner. But the owner categorically cannot be yourself obviously; or a spouse. Now, the letter could be non-existent or written by a customer support rep who doesn't actually know the details properly, obviously!

Advertisement