Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing From UTV to Eircom - Whats best procedure?

Options
  • 24-05-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm with UTV Broadband for a long time and plan to move to Eircom. My line rental is with Eircom so a package with them works out far cheaper.

Basically, I need to know the steps I need to take. Presumably UTV will insist on 28 days notice of cancellation.

Eircom say on their website that it takes 10 days to deliver broadband.

So this would mean ordering Eircom 18 days after I tell UTV to cancel.

Seems straightforward enough? Or should I place order with Eircom as soon as I tell UTV I'm cancelling.

Has anyone here gone thro' this procedure already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Firstly make sure your not in contract with UTV. If you've changed package or anything like that with UTV it'll be another 12 month contract so be careful. They do have a cancellation fee as well. Find out if you or UTV own your curent modem. A lot of providers only rent it to you and will charge you if you don't return it. Eircom will give you a free one anyway.

Importantly don't cancel UTV just ring Eircom and wait for them to have your broadband setup before you cancel UTV. Should be a seamless transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Thanks for that advice. I'm not under contract with UTV. I made sure that I never changed package.

When will I know Eircom is set up? Will Eircom just transfer my UTV connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Leeside wrote: »
    When will I know Eircom is set up? Will Eircom just transfer my UTV connection?

You'll know when your BB stops working, at which point you log into your modem, delete the UTV username/password and enter the Eircom details. They are:
    Username - eircom@eircom
    Password - broadband1

Thats the only downtime you should have. It's all the same broadband so it's only really an administrative change. Make sure you ring UTV after you go live with Eircom (not before) and cancel your subscription or they'll keep billing you.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Make sure you ring UTV after you go live with Eircom (not before)

This effectively means that I'll be paying UTV - €51 - for the months notice they probably require, without using their service? Daylight robbery.:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Make sure you ring UTV after you go live with Eircom (not before)

This effectively means that I'll be paying UTV - €51 - for the months notice they probably require, without using their service? Daylight robbery.:(

There used to be a 'form' which added the smooth transfer between isps - anyone know if this is still in operation?

Knowing UTV I would be inclined to formally give them - in writing! - a months notice then they can have no reason for charging you. Also UTV have an exit charge irrespective of the length of time you have been with them. However as you say that you have been with them a long time and have never changed packages it may not apply to you. Make sure you check your specific set of terms and conditions to see how you are fixed.

http://u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/ClicksilverBroadband/legal_information.asp#termsConditions

• Advertisement

Indeed. Still it's better than 6 or 8 weeks downtime.
    dub45 wrote:
    There used to be a 'form' which added the smooth transfer between isps - anyone know if this is still in operation?
    It was called the DTAF (DSL Transfer Authorisation Form). Nearly all the providors used it. Oddly enough, you never needed one when switching to eircom.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

My line rental is with Eircom so a package with them works out far cheaper.

Just put your line rental with UTV and it will be cheaper and few issues with changeovers etc.

Yes, it may be a little cheaper but I'm fed up with the UTV service. I'm paying €45 for their 3mb service but only getting 2mb since end Feb. They won't reduce my rental down unless I sign up for a new contract. I've been with them for maybe five or six years and this is just not good enough. Its an easy choice to make -I'm walking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Yes, it may be a little cheaper but I'm fed up with the UTV service. I'm paying €45 for their 3mb service but only getting 2mb since end Feb. They won't reduce my rental down unless I sign up for a new contract. I've been with them for maybe five or six years and this is just not good enough. Its an easy choice to make -I'm walking!!

Damn right UTV have a terrible reputation for this. By the way what are your line stats like? Personally you'll be better off with Eircom as they will at least be able to fix the problem if there is one with your line contrary to what Mr UTV might have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

More likely a wireing issue than an issue with UTV, post up your line stats. If its the case that your line has gotten more noise on it for whatever reason, moving to Eircom isn't going to do much.

• Advertisement

Stats are:

Downstream:

Connection Speed: 2048

Attenuation: 24

Noise Margin: 22

Upstream:

Connection Speed: 256

Attenuation: 7

Noise Margin: 20

Could my line support more than 2mb?

They're excellent line stats and would support waaaayyy more than 2meg. It also looks like your line is incorrectly set up at the exchange or by UTV.

You're right to walk. Thats the exact reason I left them 3 years ago so they are still at it.

BTW, ring Eircom and ask about the procedure for switching. There seems to be a new way of doing it. It looks like you have to ring your current provider and get a cancellation number and give that number to the new provider when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Definitely looks a UTV problem with those stats, In this case jumping ship is the right option, though I would personally give out to UTV first to see if you could get them to refund some of the extra money you have been paying them before jumping ship.

I called UTV many times during March/April. First couple of times they said they were checking with Eircom and then said that Eircom had come back to say line would not take 3mb.

I then asked for a refund of the difference between 3mb and 2mb since Feb and to put me on a lower tariff.

Reply was that I would have to sign up for a new contract for the 2mb and that any request for a refund would have to be passed on. Last time I called was about three weeks ago - they promised me faithfully they would call me back with a decision. This has happened on three occasions and no call back.
    It sure looks like they don't want my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I'm paying €45 for their 3mb service

While UTV very much suit themselves with this contract business rather than the customer, I wouldn't object too much to a new contract since 3mb is presently €26.99, so you'd save €18/month.
    A new 2Mb contract would be less again, especially if you also give them the phone, and will be upgraded to 3Mb in June again anyway.

I agree that UTV would be a cheaper option if I transfer my line rental to them as well. My calls are already with UTV. But I'm very slow to do that considering their lack of enthusiasm to sort out my problem.

I contacted them yesterday yet again to sort out my refund query. They promised to call me back today.

Advertisement