Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT - Wiper Linkages

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bbam wrote: »
    Ok I know this is a huge bunch of text but there is a great point here...
    the EU directive only requires 2 checks on a vehicle, breaks and emissions..

the other 398 checks are there to catch you out and cost you money..

IRISH DRIVERS ASSOCIATION
    C/O 1, ABBEYVILLE, ENNIS, CO.CLARE

Giving Irish Drivers A Voice!

www.irishdrivers.org

We, as an Association are requesting the JOC to consider the removal of NCT by not renewing their contract and giving the consumer a better choice by enabling major and local garages to be allowed to become designated vehicle testing centres as per Article II of Directive 96/96. We also consider that without these measures, the Directive is improperly implemented and if necessary we will consider taking this matter up with the European Parliament.

This is the worst possible suggestion IMO. Years ago I was chief tester in a UK MOT test centre owned by a county council, of which I was also the Pricipal Mechanical Engineer and therefore responsible for a large fleet of vehicles and acting as adviser to the police and the MOT. In acordance with the regulations, we had to provide MOT inspections to all comers, which we did, but we wouldn't do repairs since we didn't want the business. We were flooded with MOT requests and so I did regular spot checks by anonimously putting some of our vehicles through local garage's MOTs after my examiners (who were all qualified automotive engineers, not mechanics) had passed them. You would be amazed at the inventive reasons for failures that were selected -- faulty tyre repair on a tyre that had never been punctured, steering column bearing failure on a car that didn't have one of that type, etc etc. When I got a female member of staff to take a car in for test, the results were often even more ludicrous. It used to give me great pleasure to go and talk to the service managers in each case:)

The moral here is that if you combine the test with the offer of repairs, you immediately have a conflict of interest. I would suggest that a better alternative would be to legislate that if a car is presented for test and the owner can produce a service report from a registered garage showing that the car had just received a full service to makers specifications, then an NCT certificate is automatically granted. Chance of that being accepted by NCT or the government? A big NIL:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many cars that have been fully dealer serviced still fail the NCT. A service does not guarantee a car is road worthy! So of course its a non-runner, and rightly so.

My car hasn't been "serviced" in 20,000 miles. It has been maintained, however, and passed the NCT with no work required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In Germany it used to be one single company that did the NCT, and sometimes they could be right officious little assholes, failing you for stupid things (similar to the missing county thingy here) and some of them were acting like demi-gods. Sometimes it was more like going for an interview than a car thest.

For the last few years they have got competition, and these days they will adjust the lights for you if they're misaligned, replace a broken bulb or even tune the engine for you, all for a nominal fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MYOB wrote: »
    Many cars that have been fully dealer serviced still fail the NCT. A service does not guarantee a car is road worthy! So of course its a non-runner, and rightly so.

My car hasn't been "serviced" in 20,000 miles. It has been maintained, however, and passed the NCT with no work required.

NCT failure isn't always an issue of road worthiness, number plates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BostonB wrote: »

There are legal requirements for number plates. Whats the problem with simplifying things and including it with the NCT. Would you prefer there was a 2nd test that had to take place every 2 years at a Garda station aswell to make sure your car was legal? or do you think it's easier the way it is.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »

Its also a test of legality, and modified registration plates are illegal - not having the county is modification off the standard. First time you get stopped by an overly officious Garda you've got a summons on your hands for them - so its just as well the NCT checks for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Stekelly wrote: »
    There are legal requirements for number plates. Whats the problem with simplifying things and including it with the NCT. Would you prefer there was a 2nd test that had to take place every 2 years at a Garda station aswell to make sure your car was legal? or do you think it's easier the way it is.

My comment was in context of road worthiness, not about doing a job the Guards should be enforcing. All you have to do is swap the plates for a NCT. I can't imagine people not realising custom plates are not legal is a big issue of road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Re the reg plate criteria...pre 91 you can have just white plates with black print.....they cant touch you....its in the SI's and I keep a copy in my 930.

I've an NCT 2m and I am sure they'll find something.....and it wont be 50euro in the ash tray.:D Have done everything to ensure a pass but the lads tell me they'll hit me for something, esp when its a bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Stekelly wrote: »
    Plus can anyone confirm the wiper linkage is a full retest and not just a visual?

Visual check only.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leeside wrote: »
    Visual check only.

So towels whole rant about it being a scam and them failing you for no reason than to get money out of you is just blown out of the water. Thought as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

MYOB wrote: »
    Faded indicators are dangerous as you can't tell precisely what they are - turn signals are required to be orange in Ireland and a faded housing means they're not orange.

What else would be flashing on a car though, nothing.

What else would be flashing on a car though, nothing.

You've quite clearly never seen a 5+ year old Renault...

I've seen reversing lights, fog lights, headlights, positional indicators flashing on Renaults at various times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

grrr ..I just moved the post that resurrected this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement