Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever

Options
  • 24-05-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was responding to a post the other day and Stephen Donaldsons "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever" came to mind as part of the response. Must be 20 years since I read the first chronicles and it was the first "real" book that I ever read. I thought it was immense and so were the second chronicles. In my opinion it is a far superior series than "Lord Of The Rings" (which I later read). I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were and also wondering why nobody ever made a film of it (at least as far as I know).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I read the first book a couple of years ago and wasn't overly impressed.
    Covenant was a bit of a prick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My younger brother read these and thought they were good but not brilliant. I tried reading them and got bored after about 150 pages into the first book and never returned to them.

On the other hand I loved the Lord of the Rings and have re-read it a few times now.

The motto of the story is: You can't please all of the people, all of the time. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Its one of the very few books that I couldn't finish, which was a pain especially as I heard a lot of good things about it.
    I've also re-read LOTR multiple times.

P.S. I've heard rumous of film adaptions, but can't see them being close to the book. Too many things that wouldn't be allowed.
    Rape scene followed by him falling in love with his daughter/granddaughter from the rape??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I thought it was a load of tripe TBH, could not stand Covenant as a character. The whole series did my head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ooops. Looks like I'm the only one who liked it.

Perhaps its because I read it before LOTR and it created an impression on me because it was not like anything I'd read before.

There's no doubting the fact that Covenant was a dark character alright. I think thats why I liked him (in spite of all the messed up stuff that went on in the book) - because he had many character flaws, unlike many other "hero/heroines".

He certainly wasn't the kind of guy a person would want to go for a few drinks with if they were feeling down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Ooops. Looks like I'm the only one who liked it.

It seems to be a love it/hate it type of book.
    Plenty of people have it in their top 10 books, and lots hate it with a passion!

Advertisement