Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question About Turnabout in Test

Options
  • 24-05-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Just have a quick question...

My driving instructor has told me that in the turnabout I can have the wheel locked in the direction I want to go before I take off the handbrake and start moving. However, another instructor told me that the car must be moving before you can move the steering wheel and other people have told me this too. Does anyone know are you allowed lock the steering?

My instructor gets me to lock the steering to the right, pull forward, lock the steering to the left, then reverse, lock it again to the right and pull forward to go but it makes it ten times easier. Are you definitely allowed do this?

I can also do it where I start moving a little and quickly move the steering but its harder than having the steering locked already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

as far as i was told, you can lock the steering before you start to move

i did this in my test, and it was fine

however, id wait to see what others have to say too, dont take it as gospel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

There's no problem with locking the wheel before you turn but it's not good for your tires. You already said the solution yourself... move slowly and turn the wheel quickly. Might be a harder way to do it but with practice it will become second nature and it will make you look like a more accomplished/confident driver on the test day. Good luck with the test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yep I was told to turn the wheel only when you were moving but that you should be moving slowly and turning quickly!
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would ensure that the wheels are moving a little before putting on the full lock, as it's less stressful on the steering components. With most vehicles now equipped with PAS, drivers do not appreciate the pulling forces involves. It was different in the pre PAS days when a lot of effort was required to put on the full lock in a stationary vehicle and it was frowned upon, to do so, during a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

my ancient car doesn't have power steering and its a pain in the ass to do any turns. Locking the wheel before moving off half the time the engine would stall - up grading to Land Rover Discovery in August can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I had a terrible habit of locking the wheel before moving but my instructor pulled me up on it. He said to only move the steering wheel when I move the car. It took a bit of practise to perfect it for the test, but I'm back to the old lazy way of doing it now that I've passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

Hi People

I'm a driving instructor so would like to give some advice regarding "locking the wheel before you move the car for turnabout manoeuvre"

The rule is yes you can lock the wheel before you move off but it is more skillful to be able to control the speed of the car and have the car moving as you lock the wheel. If you lock the wheel to the right moving off then fully to the left b4 you reverse and then to the right again, it does make it easier but you're putting more strain on your steering column. This is the mechanism that you can't see which makes the wheels turn. It is called a "dead turn", locking the wheels when the car is stationary. You can hear the strain on the steering as you lock it. In a test situation it is ok to do this and you will not be docked marks. Do it like this:

TURNABOUT MANOEUVRE:
    Check rear-view and right wing mirror then indicate right.
    Check up and down the road that it is clear & ooking over your right shoulder, weight of your foot on the accelerator,
    Bringing up the clutch and left hand ready to take off the handbrake
    Start turning the wheel & take off the handbrake.
    SLOW WITH THE CAR & FAST WITH YOUR HANDS!!
    Lock the wheel to the right feeding the wheel through your hands.
    Hold the wheel fully locked to the right and stop the car as close to the path on the far side as possible without hitting it. (Use the space provided by getting close to the path on move off and reverse. This will allow to have a better chance to complete it in 3 steps and take the pressure off having to reverse the car twice)
    Look up the road in both directions and over both shoulders BEFORE YOU REVERSE!!
    Looking right over your left shoulder, bring up the clutch and release the footbrake and locking the wheel to the left as you look over your right shoulder, back to your left shoulder and finish looking over your right shoulder. (This is because if you are at the correct angle your back right hand wheel will hit the path first so if you finish looking over your right shoulder makind sure not to hit the path)
    Stop the car and look left and right as you go into first gear.
    BEFORE YOU MOVE DUCK YOUR HEAD PAST THE TESTERS EYE-LINE TO HAVE A FULL VIEW OF THE ROAD TO THE LEFT.
    Looking to the right turning the wheel fast to the right as you bring up the clutch, weight of your right foot on the accelerator and you should have lots of room to spare.

PEOPLE REFER TO THE TURNABOUT AS A 3-POINT TURN BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING! You may reverse more than once if you feel you need to so make sure to reverse the car again if you think you won't be able to finish the turnabout without clipping the path. If you can see the top of the path on the opposite side of the road before you move the car then you should be able to finish it with good quick steering and clutch control.

Hope this clears up this issue
    Any queries about learning to drive or driving tests, mail me
    All the best
    CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

coolshark wrote: »
    Check rear-view and right wing mirror then indicate right.
    Are you sure about the indicating? Don't remember being taught/tested like this...4 months ago.
    ...weight of your foot on the accelerator,
    Bringing up the clutch and left hand ready to take off the handbrake
    Start turning the wheel & take off the handbrake.
    How about adding "find the biting point" and clutch control? I am sure you mean to include those.
    Hold the wheel fully locked to the right and stop the car as close to the path on the far side as possible without hitting it.

Don't one have to steer the wheel left as the car gets within a few feet of the kerb on the other side?
    PEOPLE REFER TO THE TURNABOUT AS A 3-POINT TURN BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING!
    Yes, there is - if one manages to complete in 3 steps. For a wide road, the tester will expect completion of this manoeuvre in 3 steps; otherwise a fault on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya do have to indicate when movin off from a stop no matter what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    Yes, there is - if one manages to complete in 3 steps. For a wide road, the tester will expect completion of this manoeuvre in 3 steps; otherwise a fault on progress.

When doing my test last week the tester asked me to complete a turnabout on the road in 1 or more manoeuvres. I did it in 5 and got no marks for it. My instructor told me that it is no longer a 3-point turn and if one even goes over 5, there are no marks deducted, that its all about control of the car and observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

did my test last month and took 5 moves on a wide road and got no faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Complete and utter rubbish, the name of this manoeuvre is the Turn About, not the three point turn, to pin it down to 3 turns of the wheel is ridiculous. There are numerous factors that will contribute to the number of turns of the wheel. For example, car length, road width, car turning circle.

Complete and utter rubbish, the name of this manoeuvre is the Turn About, not the three point turn, to pin it down to 3 turns of the wheel is ridiculous. There are numerous factors that will contribute to the number of turns of the wheel. For example, car length, road width, car turning circle.

Hysterical outburst over choice of words. If the road is wide enough, you'll get a fault for non-progress if this turn-in-the-road take 5 steps. We seem to see parallel in some ways since you quote car length, road width etc. One ain't foolish to drive a MPV and attempt such a turn in a test - or have I not seen one yet? I understand that a turn-in-the-road or turn-about is appropriate in general but any instructor will dress you down for a road wide enough for a 3-point turn.

Lucky you if you manage to get away in a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Ive never heard any of any instructor or tester saying you would be docked for 5 point turnabout. I was told by the tester that I could take 5 or 7 if need be... it was a road of normal width
    And everything Ive read about the turnabout says it doesnt have to be in 3 points

Hysterical outburst over choice of words.
    I would rather you kept comments like that to yourself.
    If the road is wide enough, you'll get a fault for non-progress if this turn-in-the-road take 5 steps. We seem to see parallel in some ways since you quote car length, road width etc. One ain't foolish to drive a MPV and attempt such a turn in a test - or have I not seen one yet? I understand that a turn-in-the-road or turn-about is appropriate in general but any instructor will dress you down for a road wide enough for a 3-point turn.

Lucky you if you manage to get away in a test.

At this point i have to ask you to quote your reference for such information. You will be marked down for progress if you take a ridiculous number of turns for the given road width etc, but there is no 3 turn limit. As i stated in my previous post car length can play a large role in this. Some people may only have an estate car/mpv etc to do a test in so your point concerning car size really is irrelevant.

I would rather you kept comments like that to yourself.
    Well, I shall be pleased if you withdraw yours first. But, don't change the subject.
    At this point i have to ask you to quote your reference for such information. You will be marked down for progress if you take a ridiculous number of turns for the given road width etc, but there is no 3 turn limit. As i stated in my previous post car length can play a large role in this. Some people may only have an estate car/mpv etc to do a test in so your point concerning car size really is irrelevant.

First of all, google is your partner. Next, help yourself to these:
    - RAC
    - TheTimes

I agree and iterate again that the width of the road, size of the car, etc., play a part. I just haven't seen a test taken with the cars of your choice - it is just me.

- RAC
    - TheTimes

I agree and iterate again that the width of the road, size of the car, etc., play a part. I just haven't seen a test taken with the cars of your choice - it is just me.

They are both related to the UK driving test.... not really relevant here :)

Well, I shall be pleased if you withdraw yours first. But, don't change the subject.

- RAC
    - TheTimes

:confused:
    There was nothing personal in stating your supposed "facts" are rubbish.

As stated, you're quoting references from a uk based site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

- RAC
    - TheTimes

As Yellow Snow said, those are the rules for the UK driving test. Nothing at all to do with the Irish driving test. Next you'll be telling us that you can pick up faults for not being able to parallel park!

guil07 wrote: »
    ya do have to indicate when movin off from a stop no matter what
    Except when reversing! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i got marked down for a 5 point turnabout in my test a few months back. I think it's down to the discretion of the tester. They might have felt that I could or should have done it in 3 and marked me down.

comer_97 wrote: »
    i got marked down for a 5 point turnabout in my test a few months back
    Perhaps it was for the way you performed the procedure rather than the numbers of manoeuvres you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

do you get bonus points for doing the turn in two moves:p

do you get bonus points for doing the turn in two moves:p
    That would be impossible to do legally. It has to be 3,5,7,9,11 etc.

That would be impossible to do legally. It has to be 3,5,7,9,11 etc.

It's possible to do it safely without mounting the footpath.
    i did it today in two moves without the wheels touching the footpath but they were very close. My friend was wondering how i managed it.

i did it today in two moves without the wheels touching the footpath but they were very close. My friend was wondering how i managed it.
    I'm listening................

EDIT: re my prevoius post - it is also possible to do it in 1 manoeuvre - i.e. a u-turn.

I'm listening................

EDIT: re my prevoius post - it is also possible to do it in 1 manoeuvre - i.e. a u-turn.

on the test route, in our aera, there is no way, given how narrow the road is, that anyone could turn the car right around in one move without mounting the foothpath.

anyway, it doesn't matter whether you can do it in two or three or five moves. i'll most likely fail my first test as my clutch work when starting off isn't the best. i was not being boastful with my first comment- just making an attempt at humour to reduce the stress around my test which is in a few weeks time.

....I'm hugely confused by what you just said... :D

You cant (as far as I can see) do the turnabout in an even number of moves.

Can you explain what exactly the two moves you did were?

1 move - basically a u-turn

3 moves - drive forward, reverse back, drive forward completing turn

but 2 moves?? - drive forward, reverse..... ???

Sorry for sidetracking, I just cant see how you did it in two moves??? :D

Good luck with your test by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The only way I can think of is from starting position: reverse, then drive forward. But you'd have to have been stopped in the middle of the road for that to work...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement