Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd love to take up cycling

Options
  • 24-05-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Hi cycle enthusiasts,

In case you've forgotten the thread title already: I'd love to take up cycling :) - just as a hobby/means to keep fit if it's ok to start such a thread here.

I loved it when I was a kid but then got lazy. Now I'm anxious to take it up again, but all I'm getting is "the roads are too dangerous". Now I know it's quite a while since I last went cycling (around 1993 I'd say :eek:) but it's not as if that was the 50s when there really were far less cars on the road. Does anyone from the Cork area know of any good off-road places for cycling? Or is it really so inadvisable to cycle on the roads? (I don't know of any horror stories myself).

Also, what price would a basic, no-frills bike be?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

pLEASE ADVISE WHAT TYPE OF CYCLING YOUR WANT TO DO

lEISURE
    tOURING
    CHARTITY CYCLES
    COMPEDITIVE

tERE ARE CLUBS BUT THEY ARE MAINLY COMPETITIVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    as a hobby/means to keep fit.
    Leisure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I took it up a few years ago for leisure purposes but to be honest I got oranges, bottles and jeers thrown at me from passing cars. Kinda took the fun out of it. Good hobby though............so long as you have some quiet back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

so take it up then. hint: refer to previous threads, and buy a bike.

Could anyone answer my questions though? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Or is it really so inadvisable to cycle on the roads?

That's the best place to cycle :) Get out into the countryside, there will be plenty of nice and quiet roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cycling board is strangly quiet today :confused:

What would you be cycling on? You mentioned off road, did you mean canal paths/forest trails or going up the mountains?

You'd probably be looking at a minimum of €300 but looking at about €500 for something that lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Stick to the roads tbh. If you're alert and don't take risks you'll be fine.

There are different types of bikes. For off road as you suggest, the bikes are heavier and have knobbly tyres and sometimes suspension. That's great for off road but on the road and over long distances it will be slow and tiring.

Other types are road bikes and hybrids.

Road bikes are lighter and have the dropped handle bars and thin slick tyres which make them faster.

Hybrids are a cross between mountain bikes (off road) and road bikes. You can get them with a flat handle bar or riser handle bar. These are generally more comfortable to ride than road bikes because of the more upright riding position and you can use thin road tyres or thicker tyres for more comfort. Either way use slick tyres rather than mountain bike tyres on the road. (the bike rolls much easier).

I'd recommend a light hybrid rather than an off road bike (unless you really want to use it on off road trails). I use mine for commuting to work and it's light and fast enough to take on 100km spins at the weekend too.

Thanks a mil guys. I'm talking pathways, walkways, that kind of thing - nothing hilly or rocky. Therefore no need for me to splash out on an all-terrain type dealie so. Seeing as this is a new thing for me and I'm not interested in the competitive side of things, I'd really prefer if I didn't have to spend too much money. So, and sorry if this is a lazy, ignorant question but anyway :): what's the cheapest, most basic but sturdy bike there is? And how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I was in your boat a couple of weeks ago, my brother had a bike so I don't know anything about prices etc. but the most important thing about cycling on the road seems to be: ABC - Always Be Seen. If a driver can see you, very few of them will run you down! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Cycling board is strangly quiet today :confused:

What would you be cycling on? You mentioned off road, did you mean canal paths/forest trails or going up the mountains?

You'd probably be looking at a minimum of €300 but looking at about €500 for something that lasts.

it migt be something to do with people being out cycling? ..... the silence...... :D what a day in the hills !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

... In case you've forgotten the thread title already: I'd love to take up cycling :) - just as a hobby/means to keep fit if it's ok to start such a thread here.

I loved it when I was a kid but then got lazy. Now I'm anxious to take it up again, but all I'm getting is "the roads are too dangerous". Now I know it's quite a while since I last went cycling (around 1993 I'd say :eek:) but it's not as if that was the 50s when there really were far less cars on the road. Does anyone from the Cork area know of any good off-road places for cycling? Or is it really so inadvisable to cycle on the roads? (I don't know of any horror stories myself).

Done this recently myself and must say the feel-good factors were there for days after ...

I forgot, seriously forgot how much fun it was just hopping on a bike and cycling ... and the scenery and views down my way were spectacular ...

I used to work in a job promoting the tourism areas of The Kingdom eventhough i wouldn't have seen or visited the places myself in over 10years but now after seeing them again, after so many years i have a renewed sense of pride in the area :)

Glad i got the notion to pull the bike out, get it checked-over, pack my bag and take off for hours on end for days at a time ... defo recommend it :)

Are you City Based or country

If you are city based the blackrock to rochestown footpath is always good for leisure. Buy road tyres (not racing) for a better spin. You can go on as far as passge west over on the ferry (they usually do not charge cyclists) over to Cobh.

If you were to to outline an approximate location from where you could start or how far you would be prepared to travel to then begin a spin. Also outline what would be a comfortable distance and an approximate time you would like to take.
    Example I circled cork harbour tis morning and it was a very good spin.

There are also Charity cycles from time to time where like minded peolpe meet and cycle together. No matter you have to be careful, assertive and seen. When cycling on roads always wear highly visibile colour and a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cork is a great place for cycling, it's quite small and easy to get out of. A loop around by Blarney or Kinsale and back are good options for the future if that might be too much for now (Blarney isn't too far though.) In Cork, you will probably have to learn to appreciate the hills. Take it easy, gear down and just get up them slowly. Then wheeee down the other side ;-)

roadmanmad wrote: »
    Are you City Based or country
    City. But you know Cork: countryside is only minutes away.
    If you are city based the blackrock to rochestown footpath is always good for leisure. Buy road tyres (not racing) for a better spin. You can go on as far as passge west over on the ferry (they usually do not charge cyclists) over to Cobh.
    Excellent. Sounds great thanks!
    If you were to to outline an approximate location from where you could start or how far you would be prepared to travel to then begin a spin. Also outline what would be a comfortable distance and an approximate time you would like to take.
    Example I circled cork harbour tis morning and it was a very good spin.

There are also Charity cycles from time to time where like minded peolpe meet and cycle together. No matter you have to be careful, assertive and seen. When cycling on roads always wear highly visibile colour and a helmet.
    Thanks so much for that.
    blorg wrote: »
    Cork is a great place for cycling, it's quite small and easy to get out of. A loop around by Blarney or Kinsale and back are good options for the future if that might be too much for now (Blarney isn't too far though.) In Cork, you will probably have to learn to appreciate the hills. Take it easy, gear down and just get up them slowly. Then wheeee down the other side ;-)
    Yeah, Blarney's only up the road from where I'm from. That's superb guys - much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It can get a little quiet around here on weekends, but wait till everyone gets in the office on Monday morning, and it's a thread explosion!

Ah you've all been great. Any more info on prices? Types of bikes? As I said: the cheapest, most basic but sturdy bike possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ah you've all been great. Any more info on prices? Types of bikes? As I said: the cheapest, most basic but sturdy bike possible...

If that's all you're willing to fork out on, then it's going to be a heavy, clunky, unenjoyable cycle. Invest a little more - and get something like what I have

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=17876

You can get last years model for about 400 or 425 - it's red! :)

It's light enough to be maneagable, has thinner tyres to make the cycle easier (less resistanec), and the handlebars are adjustable so you can have a more upright stance or a lower one depending on your preference.

I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Got myself a bike for 25 euro in a sale in Bray...best bit of business ever.

Sure, the breaks don't really work, the wheels are about to collapse, the saddle is particulary uncomfortable and the back wheel as the habit of stopping while in full flight, but still I wouldn't change it for the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Glowing wrote: »
    If that's all you're willing to fork out on, then it's going to be a heavy, clunky, unenjoyable cycle. Invest a little more - and get something like what I have

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=17876

You can get last years model for about 400 or 425 - it's red! :)
    !
    Something like THIS might be worth a look. It's not as sporty as the lap above but it would probably suit if you're going for leisure spins rather than trying to break speed limits.

It's a Giant CRS 3.0 Womens Bike '08. Tyres are 700x35mm so it will be more comfortable than the 700X25 and they're also puncture resistant. It has riser handle bars so should be a really comfortable upright riding position. There are cheaper versions of this bike (CRS 4.0 FS )but they come with suspension which will only slow you down and tire you sooner than a bike without suspension. It should be light and fast enough to take on decent spins and will take rough road / the odd pot hole better than the racer styled bikes. Where you lose out is aerodynamics, but unless you're racing or cycling around in strong winds it shouldn't be a problem. The next version up on this bike has front suspension, but with a lock out which means you can switch the suspension on and off. Might be worth a look too. It's the CRS 3.0 FS

If you only intend to use your bike on the roads and want to push yourself for speed, or if you plan on climbing a lot of hills then you should probably go with the Lapierre. Ladies version LINKED HERE.

As the poster above pointed out, if you go any less you're likely to end up with a heavy bike which will be tough to take on long spins. A little more for a lighter bike you'll enjoy is much better value for money. I think the Giant CRS 3.0 is a good compromise, coming in at €385.00 for the 2008 version. You can use it on the roads and within reason on a bit of a park trail / gravel canal bank once the terrain isn't too rough and bumpy.

Maybe go into 2 or 3 local bikes shops, explain what your looking for and see what they recommend. You can then post your options and some of the posters here will help you choose the best deal.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil again guys. Ooh, so it's gonna be the bones of €400 whatever I get? Very expensive... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Thanks a mil again guys. Ooh, so it's gonna be the bones of €400 whatever I get? Very expensive... :(

I spent 700 on the Lapierre RCR 500 last year and my mates thought I was crazy. I've been on it nearly every day since and have done a number of 100km+ spins on it.
    I am very happy with the money I spent.

Conversely I bought a bike 3 years ago for 300 in a rush (bike stolen and needed a replacement) never liked it and eventually gave it to my mum.

Spend the money on a good bike. You'll end up on it nearly every day and never regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

as dub_skav says, think of it spread over the numbers of days you use it -spending a bit more will get you a nicer, more comfortable, more trouble free bike that you may well use more, thus making it cheap in the long run!

Other cycles

Old mallow road? relatively quite

Out to Coachford Macroom - busy enough route but usually a reasonable amount of cycling traffic

Out as far as Grenagh: Turn right up towards Bottle Hill scenery is nice on a good evening. very little traffic up there.

I personally prefer head toward midleton,tallow,lismore over the vee, clogheen mitchelstown and back. But it can be tedious at times.

Go to Glanmire - back road to Carrigtwohill - quite road - down to the ferry and back via douglas. or take cut over to carrigaline and on to ballihassig. this road can be busy.

I know that I am outlining some and you may not be up for the distance, but see which suits.

I do have a guideline, always go out against the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The roads are dangerous, but if you remember that you'll be fine. Wear a helmet and be careful don't wear ipods etc. If you are thinking of off road you'd be better going with some people. Mountain biking on your own can be hard work. This seems like a nice place to try it out though ballyhoura trails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I was in your boat a couple of weeks ago, my brother had a bike so I don't know anything about prices etc. but the most important thing about cycling on the road seems to be: ABC - Always Be Seen. If a driver can see you, very few of them will run you down! :P

And I add, always assume they haven't seen you..if you can make eye contact, good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

roadmanmad wrote: »
    I personally prefer head toward midleton,tallow,lismore over the vee, clogheen mitchelstown and back. But it can be tedious at times.
    To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, if a man is tired of cycling over the Vee, he is tired of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Hi cycle enthusiasts,

In case you've forgotten the thread title already: I'd love to take up cycling :) - just as a hobby/means to keep fit if it's ok to start such a thread here.

Also, what price would a basic, no-frills bike be?

Cheers...

I'd love to take up cycling myself.

I bought a bike over a month ago. Just after it arrived I went on holidays and since I got back I've been sick.

I've recovered now so hopefully this weekend I'll get out for a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I want to say thanks very much to anyone who contributed a little informed opinion to this thread, I've found it all very useful. I've been without a bike now for probably about a year, if not more, after having one stolen and despite probably having the means to buy another I just never have for whatever reason. I've been trying to pick something up as cheap as I possibly could but thanks to you guys I've realised now that's probably not the best way to go, if I'm looking to use the bike all the time and enjoy riding it. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement