Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recurring dreams

Options
  • 24-05-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

anyone ever had a dream over and over again? for some reason ive been having this recurring dream for the past 3 years or so. Not every night but a couple times a month. Its not always the exact same but its always about the same people and places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i used to have the same nightmares, exactly the same when i was sick as a kid, but i outgrew them it seems, i havent had a recurring dream since, i've had a premonition dream which did come to pass, exactly as i dreamt it.

Strange but true :)

there's a very good chance that a lucid memory of the dream you are experiancing could be playing on your mind throughout the day, stress, health, blood pressure, indigestion etc.. an all play a part in how you dream, or what dreams you remember.

there's a couple of decent cheap books you can buy pretty much anywere on dream interpretation, but generally i've found that only one person can tell you what your dreams mean, and thats yourself. once the reason for the dream/nightmare has been found it should be easier for you to fix that area of your life. finding the meaning is the difficult part, and explaining dreams to others can be embarrasing too :)

hope this is of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Did you ever return to the dream and pick up where you left off? Or did you ever know during the dream that you're dreaming and don't want to wake up because you want to find out whats going to happen next? Or be in the dream, and be in control, in other words change its direction?

Dreams - fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    Did you ever return to the dream and pick up where you left off? Or did you ever know during the dream that you're dreaming and don't want to wake up because you want to find out whats going to happen next? Or be in the dream, and be in control, in other words change its direction?

Dreams - fascinating.

its called lucid dreaming and it can be a powerful tool if you can control most dreams!

its called lucid dreaming and it can be a powerful tool if you can control most dreams!

Cool! I'd love to be able to control ALL dreams. But have controlled some in the past, but it's not always possible. It's a different kind of dreaming (or so it feels). Had a dream where I was at a family removal, and walking towards the coffin I decided I didn't want to know who was in it, and there was a moment where I could have kept going, but decided not to, and just sat down and observed the other people there. I knew I was dreaming and was getting upset and woke up. That funeral happened 3 months later. It wasn't until I was in the situation walking towards the coffin I remembered the dream, and as I remembered the dream I knew what was going to happen next. I knew who was going to arrive, and what they would be wearing, and who was going to break down uncontrollably etc. It was an amazing moment, but doesn't happen too often. Best thing was I had told some one about the dream after it happened, and they were at the funeral just looking at me - remembering what I had said. I didn't feel like I was going mad then.

yeah wow,i never had that in a dream and for it to happen afterwards. i have been able to lucid dream since i can remember, i can fly from people if they are trying to cause harm or if im liking the dream and feel that i cant do something i think 'hey its a dream i can do whatever i want!'. there was an instance where i dreampt of my parents garden,in the garden there is a dark shed,i was dreaming something else but was spirralled into this shed for some reason and something came over me to think 'someone was killed in here' and as i was in control i was willing to find out where and who etc,but it got a little too creepy so i backed out and asked to be taken out of the dream. but i always knew there was something very wrong with the area around my parents and am now convinced there is someone beneath that shed floor.....:eek:

• Advertisement

yeah wow,i never had that in a dream and for it to happen afterwards. i have been able to lucid dream since i can remember, i can fly from people if they are trying to cause harm or if im liking the dream and feel that i cant do something i think 'hey its a dream i can do whatever i want!'. there was an instance where i dreampt of my parents garden,in the garden there is a dark shed,i was dreaming something else but was spirralled into this shed for some reason and something came over me to think 'someone was killed in here' and as i was in control i was willing to find out where and who etc,but it got a little too creepy so i backed out and asked to be taken out of the dream. but i always knew there was something very wrong with the area around my parents and am now convinced there is someone beneath that shed floor.....:eek:

Jeasus! I'd still look into that. scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 edelgkgeraghty

mazr wrote: »
    anyone ever had a dream over and over again? for some reason ive been having this recurring dream for the past 3 years or so. Not every night but a couple times a month. Its not always the exact same but its always about the same people and places.

Yes, very annoying and am still waiting for the reason that this particular dream keeps occurring. Its in relation to a previous job.... im still working there but in my dream i know that i have left and move on to another job. Im in the very same building with the very same people and doing the very same work that i use to. Love my new job so cant make sense of it.

There is one other reoccurring dream that i have and within the last few months it has become known to me why i dream it.... however i still dream it..... not a nice dream.

not a nice dream.
    Death? about you, about others??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

generally reoccuring dreams happen as there is an unresolved issue.
    try to work it out so it goes away. ask yourself how you felt in the dream or was it unemotional,what are the reoccuring trends, you say most details stay the same but some things change? does it update to fit in with your current lifestyle? if you can remember the type of people in the dream try to relate their personalities together,do they all have something similar about them? does the dream happen after any particular occurance in your waking life? does it happen when changes occur? simple questions like this can bring you to understand the meaning behind it all.if the people stay the same and the places ,are these people from your past or unknown to you.
    i keep a dream journal and write all mine down,it helps to remember and understand trends.
    your the best judge of your dreams but if you need any help PM me and i will try give you key pointers.
    ive had some dreams this way but they stop as soon as i resolve the issue.
    what i have learnt is that if i dream without any emotion in it then its generally a pre cognitive dream and comes true but if i dream all full of emotion then its a dream that has to do with my waking life.
    best thing is try not to dwell on the dream and understand that if in your waking life you find it hard to face or address certain things then they work into your dreams where sense can be made of them or you can let them go,remember,dreams of being inside buildings represent an area of your mind.,thus the state of the building relates to your mindset at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

i had the same dream a few times and in it i could fly, anyone know what this is supposed to mean :confused:

• Advertisement

[WoW] wrote: »
    i had the same dream a few times and in it i could fly, anyone know what this is supposed to mean :confused:

"I'm Flying"

Flying dreams fall under a category of dreams where you become aware that you are dreaming, known as lucid dreaming. Many dreamers have described the ability to fly in their dreams as an exhilarating, joyful, and liberating experience.�

If you are flying with ease and enjoying the scene and landscape below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation. You have risen above something. It may also mean that you have gained a different perspective on things. Flying dreams and the ability to control your flight is representative of your own personal sense of power.�

Having difficulties staying in flight indicates a lack of power in controlling your own circumstances. You may be struggling to stay aloft and stay on course. Things like power lines, trees, or mountains may further obstruct your flight. These barriers represent a particular obstacle or person who is standing in your way in your waking life.�You need to identify who or what is hindering you from moving forward.

If you are feeling fear when you are flying or that you feel that you are flying too high, then it suggests that you are afraid of challenges and of success.

In reality, we do not have the ability to fly. Thus such dreams may represent that which is beyond our physical limitations. In your mind, you can be anybody and do anything. Another way of interpreting flying dreams is that these dreams symbolize your strong mind and will. You feel undefeatable and nobody can tell you what you cannot do and accomplish. Undoubtedly these dreams leave you a great sense of freedom.

i got this from www.dreammoods.com , it is an excellent website!!!

Yes follwer, ive heard that before about dreams where you can fly, ive had them a few times and its an amazing experience. One time i flew over my home, and around my home town, and funny thing is years later an aeriel shot of our home and town was taken by some guys selling in the area, and when i saw it, i swear i knew id seen it before, and remembered my dream.

And at the time i was dreaming of flying, my life had changed career wise and was doing the most amazing job, which at the time felt so exhilerating, so that matches what was said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

Anybody have a dream where you are falling off a cliff but you never reach the bottom because you wake up suddenly.

Any meaning to it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

I heard you can never die in a dream - you always wake up before! Not sure if it's true though.

I used to have this re-occuring dream (stopped around 2 years ago) that these boys came in, painted are hall, stairs and landing black, so my dad burned down the house. Really a very odd dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NicheG

karynp wrote: »
    generally reoccuring dreams happen as there is an unresolved issue.

I think this so true (or now beginning to think it is)

Just stumbled across this thread and find it very interesting.
    I have had this recurring dream all through my twenties where I'm late for one of my leaving cert exams.

Just some background first. I was in college till I was 23 and have spent the last 7 years trying to complete professional accounting examinations and combining work at the same time. Although admittedly I have'nt really put in the required effort to complete these exams; I am desperate to get them consigned to history.

The dream can take many twists. I recall one dream where I was traveling to my exam (btw my old secondary school is the venue and I happen to live not a million miles away after moving out of the family home) I managed to get totally distracted and hopped on a bus with some foreign tourists to show them where the airport was and somehow managed to board a flight to Australia. Weird I know. Its almost like a scene from Planes, Trains and Automobiles (with Steve Martin and John Candy) where as hard as I try to get to the desired venue, I just keep getting sidetracked, obstructed, kidnapped or whatever else.

Its almost surreal at this stage. I also don't nescessarily have this recurring dream close to my accounting exam time. It can happen at any point in the year.

NicheG wrote: »
    I also don't nescessarily have this recurring dream close to my accounting exam time. It can happen at any point in the year.

Yes because you're subconscious mind is probably constantly aware of your anxiety or desperation to have the exams over and done with, so now and again it comes out in your dreams... Issue not resolved! etc etc.

Dreams can be the path to the subconscious mind ! a bit like when your drunk, people say you show your true colours, as in - "whats in you when you're sober comes out when your drunk", and so dreams i think at times can show another side to you. Maybe we can learn from our dreams. I really believe in keeping diaries of dreams especially when i felt ive had premonitions through dreams. So maybe dreams can tell you more about yourself, they can possibly predict things for you??,... give you a sense of power that you don't have when awake? manifest in ways which mirror you true feelings of the day etc etc ?? am i making sense here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

:o
    NicheG wrote: »
    I think this so true (or now beginning to think it is)

Just some background first. I was in college till I was 23 and have spent the last 7 years trying to complete professional accounting examinations and combining work at the same time. Although admittedly I have'nt really put in the required effort to complete these exams; I am desperate to get them consigned to history.

Hi,youve answered your own query as to why you dream this way in your statement above.Its simply because you feel disappointed in yourself for not getting your finger out regarding your studies,but the little things instiled in us from childhood always linger in the back of our minds,in otherwords,you know that you SHOULD complete what you started but theres an air of defiance also within you and this part stops you putting in the effort to push yourself to complete the studies,and the result is the dreams you have. Think back to your childhood and i wonder if your parents or family pushed you to do things that you didnt really want to do thus how your behaving with the exams you avoide so much,as the dream is also to do with leaving cert exams maybe theres a hidden fear of growing up?
    i dunno,just my thoughts,maybe totally off track.

Advertisement