Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any firetwirlers out there?

Options
  • 24-05-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Afternoon all. I'm an aussie currently living in Galway and am surprised that a town with such a large student and alternative population doesn't seem to have any regular gatherings of firetwirlers. I've seen a few of ya round and asked about (I've even been asked myself) but there is either some deep hatred for australian's in the firetwirling community here or there truly aren't any get togethers.

Does anyone know of any such gatherings, or if not are there any other twirlers (/jugglers/"poiers"/devel stickers et al) out there that would be keen to meet up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You came to the right town...

Try the Galway City forum etc.

You should see them along shop street and anything to do with Macnas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 -PhreaK

Yeah, I've occasional seen a few solo twirlers about but back home they tend to congregate... not to busk, just to chill, have fun and learn new tricks etc.

Btw... what's a Macnas?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

macnas are the group behind the arts festival. they are an arts and theatre group. as far as i know they used to be situated in dominick st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Majority of crusties left Galway long ago so you've missed the boat by about ten years.Try county Clare, plenty down that neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

Macnas is a community based theatre group that often have classes to teach people skills such as fire-twirling. Their offices are in the Black Box on Dyke Road and they work out of Fisheries Field which is across the road from the Cathedral before the university

they are all very friendly so just go talk to someone there and they'll know everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Was that you letting fireworks off in Salthill earlier?? Whats the occassion??

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

The way I read the title of this first, I thought "wonder what a firet wirler is...."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

juggling soc in nuig, they meet on tuesdays/thursdays at 5 outside the college bar. they're more into clubs, only one fella regularly does poi at the class but its good craic and welcome ppl. pm me if you want the societies presidents number, he might know where other ppl meet during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

poier here :) but only in my garden, moved over from england and haven't really mingled

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ChristOnAStick

I do rope dart myself, think I was talking to you one night on quay street...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Would be good if a club for poi and staff would be set up. I would love to learn how to do it from people that know.

like i said there IS a club. juggling soc do all of that stuff and its open to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I work nights so it would only be the weekend I could do anything.

I do rope dart myself, think I was talking to you one night on quay street...

Tops, thats on my list of things to learn after meteors. I don't seem to remember a conversation... had I been drinking by any chance? :)

I've got tomorrow off work so I might drop by and say hello at the juggling soc. Apart from that I don't suppose anyone would be keen to meet up on the weekend?

theres some group connected to juggling soc that meet up in the weekends, i'm 99%. ask for brendan, the societies president. he should be able to tell you if he knows of anywhere else people meet. I'm pretty sure they're still running during the summer but if they're not there thursday, pm me and i'l get you the number of one of them so you can meet up with them when they are about.
    The juggling soc also go on trips to conventions and the like. oh and they have wonderful hoodies. And i'm not just saying that because i designed the back of it this year ;) they don't mind helping beginners either. they have equipment ranging from sticks to unicycles so you can pretty much learn whatever you want.

No problems. I'll drop round the uni on thursday and see if anyone's around. If not I'll grab that number off ya and be at the next meet with bells pants on.

Advertisement