Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Sack Grant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Expected...Anything about moving him back on some director place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Very harsh but it was expected. Be interesting to see who they bring in. I can see the whole Abramovich experiment imploding soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just breaking on SSN now.

Its a joke really.

Discuss.

I think no matter how well chelsea did, Avarm Grant was always going to get the sack. They are becoming the Real Madrid of england at the moment the way they carry on sacking managers. I was reading Bruce Buck saying that finishing 2nd is not good enough for Chelsea, so what happens to the new manager if they finish 2nd & empty handed again next season?

I would expect the announcement of a new manager in the week which will then see the mass exodus of players leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, just seen it there on the BBC.

Mancini to Chelsea and Mourinho to Inter mebbe?

Or what about auld Gus to Chelsea once he's finished at the Euros...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Harsh.

He seems like a decent guy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I saw just that on SSN, very harsh indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

dublindude wrote: »
    Harsh.

He seems like a decent guy too.

He does actually. I think he was silly to take the full time job at Chelsea though. They are not doing themselves any favours the way they are treating managers these days.

It's well beyond a joke at this stage.

I think no matter how well chelsea did, Avarm Grant was always going to get the sack. They are becoming the Real Madrid of england at the moment the way they carry on sacking managers. I was reading Bruce Buck saying that finishing 2nd is not good enough for Chelsea, so what happens to the new manager if they finish 2nd & empty handed again next season?

He gets sacked?

Jesus the statistical evidence is there that u eed to give managers time.

How the hell was Avram ever supposed to do a good job? The board never once gave him their support publicaly to shut the papers up. He came in after the transfer window so he couldnt buy the type of players to fit his system and philosophies..

Absolute joke. I like Avram. The level of abuse he's gotten this season is totally unwarranted. And he did a great job IMO.

2nd isnt good enough? Im sorry Buck, but 10th was good enough not so long ago. Jesus should Benitez and Wenger be sacked now? Should Fergie have been sacked 3 years ago? Hell even Milan havent sacked Carlo (yet) and he had 100 times a more rubbish season than Avram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Surprised. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This is a disgrace. We made brilliant strides under Grant. Players like Ballack and Cole were reformed under him while Jose's pet project lost none of his gravitas.

I actually fear who we are going to get in. Mancini is useless. Everything he won bar this seasons title was effectively gifted to him and he barely won it this year. I also think very very little of Rijkard but from what I've heard from the Barca fans on this board such as eze he makes a good team with Ten Cate. Unless we get someone like Lippi we will be behind where we were last season with Jose. Ancellotti would be welcome as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Inevitable.

The first sign of a blip next season and the rumours would be out in force again. He's better off really. That's no way to live life and do your job.

Best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

That Chelski managers job is just a joke tbh, I mean lets face it, lose a game and its 'crisis' situation, lose two on the trot and its p45 time.

phfft, good riddance tbh.

Im sure someone will get the green eyes and take it but thsi kind of **** from Chelsea doesnt attract the top managers. Its kinda the same as when Scolari said no to England cos life just wouldnt be worth it even with all the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Absolute joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Im sure someone will get the green eyes and take it but thsi kind of **** from Chelsea doesnt attract the top managers. Its kinda the same as when Scolari said no to England cos life just wouldnt be worth it even with all the money.

Someone will always take a top job like that though. Madrid always get a manager despite their revolving door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the fact is, avram grant isnt exactly a name the worlds top superstars see and think "oh yes id love to play under him", i think this is very much chelseas rationale here

hed have gotten the bullet had he done the double anyway imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

SofaK wrote: »
    Yeh, just seen it there on the BBC.

Mancini to Chelsea and Mourinho to Inter mebbe?

Or what about auld Gus to Chelsea once he's finished at the Euros...

I feel sorry for the man, took nothing but abuse most the of the season and apart from a bit of luck, he could have had a more successful season then Jose ever did with Chelsea.

I actually think Mark Hughes is going to be the next manager, you heard it first ;)

Mark Hughes 25/1, worth €10 me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

If I was grant I would tell Chelski to shove it up their hole, he has been treated like dirt during his tenure almost non stop.

Lets see the get a manager who can do as good as what he did this season, finishing 2nd and getting to within a whiskers of a CL trophy is no mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was expected.Most fans dont like him and I'd say it was always going to happen no matter how Chelsea did

not a chance in hell

theyre not gonna replace someone with no name in europe with someone with no name in europe. if that wasnt an issue grant would still have a job. theyre going for a galactico manager, thats why grant was turfed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barcas manager may need work soon.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think this better from Avram Grants point of view in the long term... Ive heard about him receiving death threats and his whole family being threatened, including threats of rape towards his wife... Its ridiculous that a nice quiet man has to go through sh*t like this just because a minority of Chelsea supporters start getting too big for their boots. Apparently he even received a package with white powder in it(read that from wikipedia so it might be bullsh*t)... I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, thank god he won't have to put up with ridiculous sh*t like this anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I actually think Mark Hughes is going to be the next manager, you heard it first ;)

Your odds of winning that bet are still the same even if you give the tenner to a homeless guy instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I don't think its that much of a joke tbh, i always got the impression that with Grant it was a temporary thing.As someone has mentioned, he's not really goin to attract top players and despite his promises we seldom played good attacking football.He rarely got the best out of his players, only until the end of the season did this start to really happen, a top manager should do this.How many Chelsea players made it into the teams of the season etc? Despite the fact that we have one of the worlds best squads.

Personally I would like to see Rijkaard or Hiddink in charge, i think both would bring a more free flowing style of play and they would have more money at their disposal then they have ever had before.As far as rebuilding goes,we really don't need that many new players in, the back five are perfect (presuming Boswinga lives up to expectations), the midfield could perhaps do with a Kaka like player(perhaps Giovanni could be this player) but apart from that we are fine there, but up front I think we need to bring in 2 strikers,as I think Drogba,Shevchenko and Anelka should leave.I would bring Di Santo in from the reserves, and a top young striker ala Benzema/Huntelaar/Villa.This is presuming we will be playing a 4-4-3 system though.

I mean I can appreciate people defending Grant but lets be honest, i'm sure man united and arsenal supporters would prefer Grant to be in charge than a manager of top credentials like Hiddink.There was also talk on the chelsea chat page of Jose returning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Daemonic wrote: »
    Very harsh but it was expected. Be interesting to see who they bring in. I can see the whole Abramovich experiment imploding soon.

+1. I really feel sick at the way Abramovich has entirely disregarded fans of his team and made it his own perverted little project. He's embarrassing the club.

Madrid always get a manager despite their revolving door.

That's 9 times European champions Madrid??? Who have ... Schuster? What's his pedigree? Getafe???

If Anyone takes the Chelsea job, they're desperate? The Mourinho episode has ended their chance of picking up a truly ambitious manager, who isn't chasing the money. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Anam is right, he was installed as a temporary measure, I for one always had the feeling he was going in the summer no matter what we won, so its not that much of a joke. I dont understand why the hotseat at Chelsea is under such intense speculation either? We all seen this sacking coming and its clear Jose and RA simply didnt see eye to eye, its not exactly a revolving door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good news. Can we have him back please?

Does make you think, when he took over their season looked like it would be over by Easter, suddenly they finis second and get to their first CL final.

What's a guy got to do eh?

topnutz wrote: »
    so its not that much of a joke. I dont understand why the hotseat at Chelsea is under such intense speculation either? We all seen this sacking coming and its clear Jose and RA simply didnt see eye to eye, its not exactly a revolving door.

You're right, it's just the punchline of the saga arising from the sacking of Chelsea's Most Successful Manager EVER!
    Who in their right mind will take that job knowing if they don't achieve success (and next season will be tougher than this one, for Chelsea), they're out? A manager of ambition, or one who will gladly accept a nice payout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

davyjose wrote: »
    That's 9 times European champions Madrid??? Who have ... Schuster? What's his pedigree? Getafe???

If Anyone takes the Chelsea job, they're desperate? The Mourinho episode has ended their chance of picking up a truly ambitious manager, who isn't chasing the money. IMO.
    I would disagree with that tbh.Abramovich wants Chelsea to be a big "brand" like united etc are, to get this, you don't just need trophies, you need attacking entertaining football, which did not fall in line with Mourinhos winning comes first mentality.A top manager who knows gets Chelsea playing attacking football and can attract the Kakas and Giovanni type players will be given more time imo.And really, for all the talk of needing time to adjust to new styles of play, I think its an overrated concept tbh, look at the influence international managers can have on a style of play in a short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If I was grant I would tell Chelski to shove it up their hole,.

Shove what up their hole? They sacked him.

Anam wrote: »
    I would disagree with that tbh.Abramovich wants Chelsea to be a big "brand" like united etc are, to get this, you don't just need trophies, you need attacking entertaining football, which did not fall in line with Mourinhos winning comes first mentality.A top manager who knows gets Chelsea playing attacking football and can attract the Kakas and Giovanni type players will be given more time imo.And really, for all the talk of needing time to adjust to new styles of play, I think its an overrated concept tbh, look at the influence international managers can have on a style of play in a short time.

Two things:

1) I disagree with the point you are making. Trophy's get you a name. Playing pretty football will help, but a couple of Champions leagues will override any roadblocks between being a big brand. For instance Liverpool in the 80's were brimming with ability, but not necessarily flair.

2) The only way to get instant results is to play tough football. They will NOT win anything by changing their entire style over the course of a summer - it's especially difficult if you want to play attractive football.
    Now, you might say "fair enough", as might any Chelsea fan. But Roman A does clearly not like to wait around for anything.

You're right, it's just the punchline of the saga arising from the sacking of Chelsea's Most Successful Manager EVER!
    Who in their right mind will take that job knowing if they don't achieve success (and next season will be tougher than this one, for Chelsea), they're out? A manager of ambition, or one who will gladly accept a nice payout?

I completely agree that sacking Jose was a joke, I only wish he would come back. But that was clearly a personal thing between RA and the larger than life character that is Jose, that doesnt mean that every manager who gets the job will come to blows at some point with RA. The owner needs to realise that managers need control over their team, that for me is the key to success at this club, its a simple concept to fans, but never owners. IF the next manager is allowed this freedom, I dont see why we cant attract some of the more ambitious managers out there. Where else do they get a ready made World Class squad, and seemingly limitless funds?

Regarding Grant, yes its harsh, but we all knew it was coming. He was employed as a temorary manager(regardless of what was said in the papers) and now his term is over. I dont think much more needs to be said on the matter, its harsh, but theres a lot of overreacting going on here.

topnutz wrote: »
    I completely agree that sacking Jose was a joke, I only wish he would come back. But that was clearly a personal thing between RA and the larger than life character that is Jose, that doesnt mean that every manager who gets the job will come to blows at some point with RA. The owner needs to realise that managers need control over their team, that for me is the key to success at this club, its a simple concept to fans, but never owners. IF the next manager is allowed this freedom, I dont see why we cant attract some of the more ambitious managers out there. Where else do they get a ready made World Class squad, and seemingly limitless funds?

Can you honestly not see what is wrong with the highlighted sentence? Do you not think that the problem here is that RA should let Chelsea's most successful manager ever do his job?

Can you honestly not see what is wrong with the highlighted sentence? Do you not think that the problem here is that RA should let Chelsea's most successful manager ever do his job?

Like I said, "a simple concept for fans". I completely agree with what your saying here, but notice the big IF a few lines later. Ive expressed my disapproval of his treatment of Jose, but people are making out like because Grant got sacked that hes making a habit of it and are completely writing him off as a heartless cnut who demands success or your sacked. What im saying is, this wasnt the case with Grant, he was never going to be in charge next season, regardless of success. As much as I dont like the idea of choosing style over success, thats what hes after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Grant is not one of the top managers in europe, and so sacking him to get one is understandable.
    The mistake for chelsea was that they had given him a 3 year contract (afaik)

Grant was not foolish for going there, in the slightest. Very clever, he'l get paid off the most of the money owed to him, and the only one who is left looking silly is the chelsea money men, and Abramovich (who doesnt really care what people think anyways)

Theyl bring in a top coach in the next month or so. This was all expected, and no injustice at all.

semibluff wrote: »
    Abramovich (who doesnt really care what people think anyways)
    more specifically, the fans
    Theyl bring in a top coach in the next month or so. This was all expected, and no injustice at all.
    I question the motives of ANY manager that takes the job. My 2c

I question the motives of ANY manager that takes the job. My 2c

managers take jobs like that coz theyre no lose jobs

you go in and win stuff, giving the team sustained success and youre a god

you go in and do ok but dont win anything and youre kicked out first time round, but you have the excuse that you didnt have enough time and nobody thinks any less of you

its all an ego thing. they all want to be the one to show the others who failed how its done

The mistake for chelsea was that they had given him a 3 year contract (afaik)

+1

It might have been a 4 yr contract even:confused:

But yes, we all knew it was inevitable, or so i thought anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Chelsea are a shambles of a club-this season wasn't good enough? Thats just insulting to any football club. First they sack the best manager they ever had and then they sack the man who managed to help get the egos to cop on and play a bit after it looked like it would fall apart. Whatever about Grant been sacked but being so blunt 'second place finishes is just not good enough for us' is just pure arrogance considering what he took over and the fact that he got them to a CL final! People are right, they're exactly like Real Madrid and have absolutely no moral integrity as Ferguson said. If I was a Chelsea fan i'd be pissed of not with the sacking but the manner in which they do business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This does seem harsh, but if Chelsea pull off a good appointment who gets them to win stuff again, it will seem like the right decision.

Remember the same thing happened with Ranieri, were Chelsea fans complaining 1 year later as prem champions?

Equally though they could appoint the wrong manager and they would look a complete shambles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So it's all over for Avram Grant. He's gone. Sacked by Chelsea and rumour has it with a £5.2m pay off.

Who will take over? The bookies have Frank Rijkaard as the early favourite with Guus Hiddink, Roberto Mancini and Sven-Goran Eriksson also in the frame (1945 BST)

But what price for Jose Mourinho? Well, actually his odds tumbled from 20/1 down to 8/1 on Saturday after the sacking - surely that's not going to happen?

Talking of Mourinho The Observer have talked to the Special One who will reveal on Sunday that this was a "really bad season" for Chelsea because the club didn't win anything. Apparently Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich gifted Mourinho a £2m Ferrari back in February after the Blues lost the Carling Cup final to Spurs.
    ----
    Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and former coach Jose Mourinho have shared three "cosy chats" in the last six weeks, but Frank Rijkaard remains favourite to replace Avram Grant. (The Sun)

dont think anyone could really see Mourinho returning as Chelsea manager but it makes for interesting reading. Would also give new meaning to "The return of the messiah" a la Keegan this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

So mourinho gets the sack for being successful but playing boring football.Grant get the sack for being unsuccessful during an eight month period during which he had no opportunity to shape the team in his own making. So whoever comes in is going to have to win trophies in their first season, playing attractive football , using players largely bought by other managers. Sounds like they'll be queunig up then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Shame, he seemed like a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Who will want to come in and manage Chelsea now when finishing second in the league and reaching the CL final doesn't guarentee your job next year?! What big name manager would be prepared to take that risk?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    What big name manager would be prepared to take that risk?!

any of them given enough cash and ego stoking

theyll all want to be the one who did enough to keep the chelsea job. its no risk at all to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

You havce to also take into account that any manager will have an unlimited transfer budget! why are you in management if you don't believe that with unlimited funds you can win trophies!?!?

For as long as this debate rages on, I think this fact needs to be posted as a realitly check every now and then.....

"Grant was going regardless of results or trophies"

The next manager will not be treated the same.

Helix wrote: »
    any of them given enough cash and ego stoking

theyll all want to be the one who did enough to keep the chelsea job. its no risk at all to them

Rijkaard <sp> might go, but I can't see any other "good" manager going. How long would Ferguson or Wenger have lasted at Chelsea?

We're all very quick to point out how money has corrupted football, but it hasnt corrupted the managers?

Honestly, if the wages are there, they will come.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement