Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about post

Options
  • 24-05-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Ok, mods please move if this is not in the right place....

So, does anyone know what the law is as regards opening post belonging to someone else? I can't find anything on the An Post website.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

nothing wrote: »
    Ok, mods please move if this is not in the right place....

So, does anyone know what the law is as regards opening post belonging to someone else? I can't find anything on the An Post website.

I think it's illegal.

from the POSTAL AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES ACT, 1983

84.—(1) A person who—

( a ) opens or attempts to open a postal packet addressed to another person or delays or detains any such postal packet or does anything to prevent its due delivery or authorises, suffers or permits another person (who is not the person to whom the postal packet is addressed) to do so, or

( b ) discloses the existence or contents of any such postal packet, or

( c ) uses for any purpose any information obtained from any such postal packet, or

( d ) tampers with any such postal packet,

without the agreement of the person to whom the postal packet is addressed shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subsection (1) shall not apply to any person who is acting—

( a ) in virtue of any power conferred on the company by section 83, or

( b ) in pursuance of a direction issued by the Minister under section 110, or

( c ) under other lawful authority.

http://www.ispai.ie/legal/ie/1983-pt-act.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Thats what I think too, but I can't find anything concrete on it. I know it's illegal in America, and maybe thats why I think it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I understand that to be the case too....Probably under privacy law.

Thanks silverfish, that's really helpful. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thanks silverfish, that's really helpful. :)

So you opened and read my post? :pac:

• Advertisement

No, someone I know has been opening my post and shredding it without me ever getting to read it. And now I can tell them to stop, without it sounding like I'm just moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

jeepers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

inform the post office and the guards as this would appear to be an offence even if it is someone that lives/shares an address with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

What is the law as regards still receiving post two years down the road after previous occupant moving out? Is it ok at this stage to just bin it, or is it best to write on envelope "not at this address" or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No, someone I know has been opening my post and shredding it without me ever getting to read it. And now I can tell them to stop, without it sounding like I'm just moaning.
    Why would you need a law or anything for this? Give them a stern talking to! It's your bloody post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is this a piss take? "just" moaning. FFS they could be locked up!

How could the person say "ah you're just moaning, all I am doing is shredding your letters":confused:

Some of the longest prison sentences in the US are based around the post, e.g. postman failing to delivery, messing with post is treated almost like treason there, and rightly so.

I would get the person arrested if I was you.

Is it a controlling partner or lunatic flatmate? Might be a case for the personal issues forum! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What is the law as regards still receiving post two years down the road after previous occupant moving out? Is it ok at this stage to just bin it, or is it best to write on envelope "not at this address" or something to that effect.

Aye, just write
    "Return to sender, recepient no longer at this address"

Grawns wrote: »
    Is it a controlling partner or lunatic flatmate? Might be a case for the personal issues forum! :confused:

Um, actually it's my parents, which is why I'm reluctant to report it yet, and why they wouldn't listen to me! I moved out fully 5 years ago, to a different county, but still get post to their house, including statements from the credit union where I still save.

Course you can't report them but geez! Get your mail forwarded for a year then contact anyone who has posted to your parents address within that year with your new address abroad. ( perhaps you have a friend or sibling in Ireland if your address abroad is transitory.)

Here is the an post link

well as it is post arriving at their address they are entitled to open it and examine the contents for illicit material afaik

foggy_lad wrote: »
    well as it is post arriving at their address they are entitled to open it and examine the contents for illicit material afaik

No, not if it's not addressed to them.

@Grawns - I said county, not country. As a student I can't afford €100 to have my post forwarded to me just because my parents are won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Have you considered contacting the credit union to get the post redirected to your current address?

No, not if it's not addressed to them.

@Grawns - I said county, not country. As a student I can't afford €100 to have my post forwarded to me just because my parents are won't bother.
    afaik they are entitled as the householders to examine anything that enters their house including post addressed to others in the household? can someone correct me if i am wrong, it is the same in employment if you recieve post in your place of work your employer is entitled to examine it.

I gather from the law mentioned that no, thats not the case, with the exception of when the person gives them express permission. I mean if that was the case, then I could open my housemates mail without their permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you considered contacting the credit union to get the post redirected to your current address?
    That would indeed seem to be the obvious solution.

Unfortunately the credit union is only open for 2 hours on Thurs night, which I work, and 2 hours on Sat morn, which I also work... :( But, you're right, it would be the obvious solution for one proportion of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would a phone call not suffice with a follow up letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

As a worker of An Post HQ I can tell you that it is indeed illegal to open post addressed to another person, even if you share an address. Having said this, its very common for people to open others post for a number of reasons - want to know where to redirest it to etc and its never really taken very seriously. We get so many questions on this matter! However, I noticed someone said that someone was shredding their post - now that would merit some sort of telling off!

Advertisement