Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another non booting PC after Bios upgrade.

Options
  • 24-05-2008 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My P.C. was occasionally freezing and all I could do was powercycle it. I decided to upgrade the bios to see if that would fix it but unfortunately it crashed whilst writing the new Bios. It never occurred to me that it would only have room to store one Bios image at a time.
    From then on switching on the PC would result in a blank screen. I could hear the hard drive start up, the DVD drive would power up but there were no diagnostic beeps and nothing on the screen. I tried connecting to both the onboard graphics and the graphics card but there was no signal.
    I assumed that I'd broken the motherboard so I tried to get a replacement for it. The only place in Ireland that I found selling the K9AGM3-FIH was Dabs but unfortunately my paypal account wouldn't work on that site and their customer serices was upto the usual standards. So I got a second hand board off of Ebay.
    Unfortunately I have the same problem with the new motherboard. I have the bare minimum connected, hard drive CPU and memory. I can hear the hard drive starting up, power is getting to the keyboard, mouse and USB ports, but I get nothing from the on board graphics ( or the graphics card if I connect it). I've even tried resetting the motherboard and replacing the battery.
    I'm a bit stuck now, hence the post. To test this properly I think I'd need a new motherboard, PSU, CPU and memory to swap out individual parts, but I don't want to end up with loads of parts I don't need.
    I've tried phoning a few of the companies that advertise home PC repairs but none of them seemed to want to know when I mentioned motherboard problems. Any suggestions on how to fix the system.

My system is :-
    Case – Silverstone SG01B
    Motherboard – MSI K9AGM2-FIH (replaced with K9AGM3-FIH)
    CPU – AM2-X26000
    Memory – 2X DDR2 800 1Gig
    Graphics – fanless MSI 7300GS
    PSU – Corsair CMPSU-520HX
    Screen – Samsung syncmaster 226BW
    Cheers :confused:

Comments

Advertisement