Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer bubble burst...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Not all public servants earn 50k. I know because I'm one of them. Some of my workmates do but they're well into their 40s and bought their houses years ago. Also, not all places hand out promotions willy nilly. Don't tar us all with the one brush. :mad:

I'm also convinced that the people who love telling us stories about people who should've bought years ago (and look how wrong they were, the houses kept going up nah nah nah nah nah) and that we should dash out now and buy have a vested interest in house prices rising. The same as the rest of us sad renting scum have a vested interest in them dropping so that we have a chance of buying something near where we work that isn't a shoebox or 30 miles from work.

No matter what anyone says, houses in Ireland are extremely over-valued. That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

IT is booming... Im in it too. You need to go contracting :-)

Ok I am in IT but don't see this great boom.
    Can someone point it out to me and can biggles give me the name of his company with the vacancies ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 adam.number3

jmayo wrote: »
    Can someone point it out to me and can biggles give me the name of his company with the vacancies ?
    Well IT is a big field I suppose and it probably depends on your skill levels and area. I'm in middleware development and had no problems getting contracts for the last 5 years... having said that, contracts up in 1 month! Maybe i'll post back then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Information Technology (IT) is mostly a service to business. Its already been through the dot com bust, and was contracting when the construction sector was going ballistic.
    In the current environment there are opportunities for IT personnel, the banks (London) are currently looking for programmers as they race to develop new models to handle the current crisis.
    Rising energy costs are driving consolidation of existing infrastructure to realise costs savings (the downside is that less administrators are needed, but if you are upskilling yourself then you should be OK for work)
    In telecoms the model is changing with even small medium enterprises using broadband and switching to voice over IP (VOIP). The high price of oil is driving the demand for remote working.
    IT is one of the few areas being utilised at the moment to automate and improve productivity (e.g. moving front ends of companies to web based).

However when you get a prolonged contraction/recession/depression in business IT eventually gets it in the neck as well, so there may be a lag before we seen large scale redundancies in this area.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

What exact field are you in?

• Advertisement

Information Technology (IT) is mostly a service to business. Its already been through the dot com bust, and was contracting when the construction sector was going ballistic.
    In the current environment there are opportunities for IT personnel, the banks (London) are currently looking for programmers as they race to develop new models to handle the current crisis.
    Rising energy costs are driving consolidation of existing infrastructure to realise costs savings (the downside is that less administrators are needed, but if you are upskilling yourself then you should be OK for work)
    In telecoms the model is changing with even small medium enterprises using broadband and switching to voice over IP (VOIP). The high price of oil is driving the demand for remote working.
    IT is one of the few areas being utilised at the moment to automate and improve productivity (e.g. moving front ends of companies to web based).

However when you get a prolonged contraction/recession/depression in business IT eventually gets it in the neck as well, so there may be a lag before we seen large scale redundancies in this area.

I guess you're right. IT will be hit too when the "Great depression" comes :) Along with everything else.
    Roll on the great depression

If by IT, you mean hooking up networks, reseting passwords, installing software, fixing printers, stuff like that... then yes, your job is not so secure. But if you mean development, systems analysis/optimizatation, data modeling, etc then you're safe enough. IT is too wide a term to be honest... a lot of what is termed IT is monkey work.

Calina wrote: »
    No one has an issue with this. What I have an issue with is the idea that it might be automatically assumed that this is the norm for people in particular sectors, eg nursing, and that this is why their basic salaries do not need to be adjusted - ie they can make it up on overtime. My point is why the hell should they have to? Is their free time worth less to society or something? Mostly it appears that it is.

As for your four friends that you don't really know all that well...what it boils down to is this: they are waiting because they know the property market is in trouble and it's in trouble in a bad kind of way for people on that salary bracket: anything they buy even now will require a trade up in a few years time. One year actually, knowing some of the entry level properties in Dublin. No one can remain sane in some of the small apartments that have been built as so called starter homes in this city.

So I'm willing to be that they have made the following call: they are renting shared which means their rental cost is not extortionate per person. They are saving. The more the save, the more of a deposit they will have. Prices are falling. As long as they continue to fall while their savings are increasing, the position of your friends continues to improve vis a vis the type of property they are looking to buy. I can see this because it's happening to me, you see. Their options are probably far, far better now than they were 12 months ago, and they are still improving.

Not only that, rents are falling too so actually, they might even be in a position to save even more for a while into the future, improving their options still further.

Ultimately, the game we are in now is no longer how high can they go, but how low can they go.

I know a lot of people who bought while the market was rising. They are commuting infrom Navan and places in Carlow. Apparently they did what the smart money was doing because you couldn't lose.

I don't know how they feel about that now, given that it's getting harder to sell property at a price which sellers feel they deserve, their fuel costs are up 30% in the last 18 months at least, traffic is getting worse, inflation is rising. I could have bought a house any time since 2004 or so, but I'd have had to do the commuting too. Most people I know thought I was mad for exactly 10 minutes until I sat them down with a piece of paper and did the maths.

It doesn't a matter a damn how much your property is rising by if you're not going to be cashing it in. It does matter how much your petrol is costing. I live five minutes from work. I don't think I'd be happy right now if I'd capitulated two years ago and bought in Slane and had to commute 30 miles to work every day.

There you go. You're doing it again.
    Putting words in peoples mouths.
    Is there really a need to do this here? Is it so hard to quote people properly without making stuff up? Why do you do this?

Where did i say the 4 people in the example i was talking about are my friends? I believe i only said i work with 2 of them. Also its just one example that i was talking to someone about. I'm sure there are many, many more for or against any arguments in here.

Didnt i say that people dont have to do overtime to make nice money. I just pointed out that its not unusual for people to do overtime if they want. It seems to come as a shock to you that people do indeed do overtime and always have done.

I know you disagree with me and quite frankly im just wasting my time answering you anyway so and we're just going around in circles with the misquoting and nit-picking.

You dont need to convince me of anything. I believe what i believe and have checked it out for myself anyway. I may be right or wrong, but i have checked it out enough that i am satisfied. You will believe what you want but i dont think you've really checked it out at all. You cant even read a post without changing the post around to suit yourself.

All the evidence is there for you to figure things out yourself. You just dont want to look at it. And i couldnt be arsed going getting links for you because there are links to support any point of view on the net and mine will be no more accurate or reliable than yours.

So How about this
    Figure out for yourself what you want to know. Decide where you can get reliable information to form an informed opinion on it and then check it out for yourself.

for example
    Just look at the point scales on Public jobs (and dont lose sight of the fact that public jobs NOT are the only jobs out there either) that have been posted here, or look for some more, and work it out for yourself. Pay close attention to how long it takes before they are on a significant salary.

It may come as a shock to some of us that property in Dublin IS justifiably expensive. Maybe a little too expensive right now, but nevertheless, its going to be expensive always (apart from when the great depression hits), then noone will have a job anyway.

And it may come as a shock that people arent as badly off as we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

So no links and a personal belief that Dublin is more or less fairly priced.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm sold by his arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

beeno67 wrote: »
    Gurramok, are you stil at this? At least you now agree I was right all along about public service pay and pay in general in Ireland.

No, you were not. We were discussing about nurses and gardai and we found out that the average nurse does not earn 56k pa. I dug up proof of that from various govt depts and you still rubbished it.

And pay in general for the entire workforce in Ireland is not the same as an average of 49k in the public service.
    If we had the MEAN pay of the public service or pay in general for every worker, it will be lower, thats guaranteed.

I'm still waiting for you to disprove the 78% earn under 35.4k figure the Govt have released.
    You should know that public service jobs all have pay scales which means every year they get pay rises just for staying in the same job.
    By the way , As I already told you nurses do not do overtime in general in Ireland. You really should listen to me more

Yes i do know that about public service pay scales.

But guess what, the public service encompasses around 256,000 or so jobs(according to Irish Times) and by focusing on them as the most highly paid and most secure sector, we are missing what the other 1.9m or so workers earn.

That other 1.9m also buy and sell houses as well as rent them and they are the vast majority of the workforce.

Maybe you should re-read and understand when real hard facts are stated and proved(the nurses part, 78% figure of workforce earning below 35.4k part) instead of ignoring them. (this applies to Biggles as well, waiting for concrete proof that the govt stats are wrong, a govt link ain't just any old link on the net Biggles :D)

Biggles, from reading your post the following jumps out.
    Just look at the point scales on Public jobs (and dont lose sight of the fact that public jobs are the only jobs out there either) that have been posted here, or look for some more, and work it out for yourself. Pay close attention to how long it takes before they are on a significant salary.

It may come as a shock to some of us that property in Dublin IS justifiably expensive. Maybe a little too expensive right now, but nevertheless, its going to be expensive always (apart from when the great depression hits), then noone will have a job anyway.

And it may come as a shock that people arent as badly off as we think.

The above seems to contradict each other.

First you state that public jobs are the only secure jobs out there, your not stating that the public sector is the only sector keeping property prices expensive in Dublin? :D

How justifiably expensive should property be in dublin?

I'll take a snapshot of working class areas for example:

Should a 3bed hse in Crumlin always cost 350k+?

Should a 3bed hse in Darndale always cost 250k+?

Should a 2bed apt in Ballymun always cost 230k+?

Should a 3bed hse in Finglas always cost 300k+?

Considering no professional couples who are the only ones able to afford would even consider buy in these areas, who should and can?

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    First you state that public jobs are the only secure jobs out there, your not stating that the public sector is the only sector keeping property prices expensive in Dublin? :D

Sorry mistyped. I think thats an obvious mistype there. You dont seriously think i meant that there were no jobs but public jobs do you - or believe that they could possibly be or that anyone would say they are. cmon.

But at least you quoted correctly :)

Let me put the 'not' in the post.

How justifiably expensive should property be in dublin?

I'll take a snapshot of working class areas for example:

Should a 3bed hse in Crumlin always cost 350k+?

Should a 3bed hse in Darndale always cost 250k+?

Should a 2bed apt in Ballymun always cost 230k+?

Should a 3bed hse in Finglas always cost 300k+?

Considering no professional couples who are the only ones able to afford would even consider buy in these areas, who should and can?

Any particular reason why you picked only areas in Dublin where you require a tank to commute?

As far as i'm concerned property in those areas isnt even worth the effort it takes to ring an estate agent. And anyone who buys there only have themselves to blame when their cars get stolen or burnt.

But as i've said before, in general prices are too expensive and need to come down. The point i continue to make in this thread is that Dublin prices will not fall as much as people seem to think (Hope).

Just on your 78% earn under 35.4k figure.
    If you read the pdf you linked "Paying tax at the
    standard rate*
    (including those whose
    liability at the higher
    rate is fully offset by
    credits
    )"

Would you not read from this that there are people on the standard rate who earn more than 35.4k? Dont ask me how many, i have no idea.

I would imagine married persons make up the majority. One half of a married couple with one person working can earn about €45k without hitting the high tax rate.

A married couple with both working ( i think there is a minimum amount that has to be earned by the lower earning half) can earn about 70k between them without going onto the high rate, and 1 half can earn the vast majority of that total. And thats even before any other tax credits are taken off.

Have a play around with this.
    http://www.taxcalc.eu/

Now, before we get into more arguing here i'll just try to clarify my position as it seems to be getting lost in all the arguments here.

1 - I think property IS overvalued throughout the country.

2 - I think Dublin is so much more insulated than the rest of the country and not as overvalued (rents and purchases). I cant tell you by how much because it would only be a guess. (to clarify, Dublin includes anywhere with a good transport link to the city center (and now that its been mentioned, i dont include the undesirable parts of dublin in that insulated area))

3 - I dont believe that we are headed for a great depression (though we do have a correction to go through)

4 - I dont think that people can always afford to live where they want to, especially in the center of not just a capital city, but the only significant work pool (by which i mean if you lose your job, you're more likely to get a similar job close by) in Ireland. So if you want you buy in Dublin you better be on a high salary, relative to any competition you may have for the property you want.

5 - I think People in Ireland earn more than most people here believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

At the risk of being flamed by the Dublin posters you've picked some fairly undesirable areas.

But yes, many professionals would consider those areas.
    I've seen plently of threads about Premier Square,Finglas and East Finglas and "New" Ballymun here.
    Recent thread about a poster looking for a house to rent and wanted opinions on Drimnagh vs Crumlin in Dublin forum

I know 3 "professional" people who bought in Drimnagh and some in East Wall.
    People in good jobs will consider those areas (well, maybe not Darndale).

Any particular reason why you picked only areas in Dublin where you require a tank to commute?

Because it's one edge of the coin where no-one wants to live bar low earning locals and you need high earning people to afford to live there.(before any backlash occurs, i grew up in one of those areas and know whats its like to have lived there)

But as i've said before, in general prices are too expensive and need to come down. The point i continue to make in this thread is that Dublin prices will not fall as much as people seem to think (Hope).

Why not, in case you have not noticed, not everyone earns near to 50k a yr to afford to live anywhere in Dublin(city and suburbs)! :D
    Just on your 78% earn under 35.4k figure.
    If you read the pdf you linked "Paying tax at the
    standard rate*
    (including those whose
    liability at the higher
    rate is fully offset by
    credits
    )"

Would you not read from this that there are people on the standard rate who earn more than 35.4k? Dont ask me how many, i have no idea.

Fair enough, we dont know how many.
    I would imagine married persons make up the majority. One half of a married couple with one person working can earn about €45k without hitting the high tax rate.

A married couple with both working ( i think there is a minimum amount that has to be earned by the lower earning half) can earn about 70k between them without going onto the high rate, and 1 half can earn the vast majority of that total. And thats even before any other tax credits are taken off.

Are the numbers we do not know of, is it sufficient enough to bring that 78% to even 50%?

Being pedantic, 70k divided by 2 is 35k which is under the higher tax rate burden :)
    Point being in the overall sense, thats a difference of some 600,000+ taxpayers, i seriously doubt the married tax credit helps that much.

We do know nearly 40% pay no tax at all due to low wages so the numbers affecting from the married scenario wouldn't be much.
    Now, before we get into more arguing here i'll just try to clarify my position as it seems to be getting lost in all the arguments here.

1 - I think property IS overvalued throughout the country.

2 - I think Dublin is so much more insulated than the rest of the country and not as overvalued (rents and purchases). I cant tell you by how much because it would only be a guess. (to clarify, Dublin includes anywhere with a good transport link to the city center (and now that its been mentioned, i dont include the undesirable parts of dublin in that insulated area))

3 - I dont believe that we are headed for a great depression (though we do have a correction to go through)

4 - I dont think that people can always afford to live where they want to, especially in the center of not just a capital city, but the only significant work pool (by which i mean if you lose your job, you're more likely to get a similar job close by) in Ireland. So if you want you buy in Dublin you better be on a high salary, relative to any competition you may have for the property you want.

5 - I think People in Ireland earn more than most people here believe.

Have you not noticed that Dub prices actually went up the highest?
    An you know what goes up the furthest will fall the hardest(Price drops have been noted for this)

Again, how do you define Dublin, is it everywhere? Is it everywhere bar the undesirable parts? (Note: Dublin and suburbs, not city centre exclusive)
    micmclo wrote:
    At the risk of being flamed by the Dublin posters you've picked some fairly undesirable areas.

But yes, many professionals would consider those areas.
    I've seen plently of threads about Premier Square,Finglas and East Finglas and "New" Ballymun here.
    Recent thread about a poster looking for a house to rent and wanted opinions on Drimnagh vs Crumlin in Dublin forum

I know 3 "professional" people who bought in Drimnagh and some in East Wall.
    People in good jobs will consider those areas (well, maybe not Darndale).

To be fair, mickmclo, i did pick those areas as an example of how ridiculous pricing has become.
    The professionals have often picked new gated communities on the fringe of so called dodgy areas and i know that the likes of Premier Sq which is gated and more towards Glasnevin like Finglas East would be more desirable.

What i had pointed out was that there is a vast amount of housing in old corpo estates all over the city which not a single local(in emphatic terms) could not afford to buy locally and no professional would buy either, thats if they have aims in life like not watching over their back constantly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To be fair, mickmclo, i did pick those areas as an example of how ridiculous pricing has become.
    The professionals have often picked new gated communities on the fringe of so called dodgy areas and i know that the likes of Premier Sq which is gated and more towards Glasnevin like Finglas East would be more desirable.

For the second time today, I have a short username but everyone misspells it! Sure I'm here since 2004 :(

And come off it, Premier Sq is in Finglas. Didn't I read about some development (not Premier Sq) advertised as "close to Glasnevin" lol :D

Sorry offtopic and good post otherwise

Ooops micmclo :).

Yeh the thing about gated communites(usually apt blocks cordoned off from corpo housing estates) is that it reminds me of a certain post i made before on Premier Sq.
    me! wrote:
    Regarding Premier Sq, it 'used to be' in Finglas East until the developer changed the address to get that sale higher price on the Glasnevin address.

Still, your across the road(literally) from Finglas South, your local supermarket is in Finglas beside you(Tesco) plus your petrol and your bus is the 40, all Finglas for Premier Square but not in name

Still, when you leave this world in donkeys years time, you'll be in Glasnevin permanently

PS - I could of picked 'decent areas' where people view as desirable and those same professional couples could still not afford to buy there.

Anyone disagee and point out where anywhere is affordable for these people? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

there are corpo estates where 90percent of houses are owned by the occupiers ,most people are over 30, not many kids round or teens to cause trouble ,these estates tend to be quiet ,or at least as quiet as the private estate down the road.then there are estates with alot of single mothers ,kids ,young teens, most houses rented out, they are the areas which tend to more dodgey or dangerous ,since most crime in dublin is commited by people under 25.
    IN most areas of dublin you need an alarm or security device on your car,i know private estates where car theft was common.
    to describe every corpo estate as the same is like saying paris is a city ,beirut is a city ,so they are both identical.I,D feel a lot more at ease in paris than beirut.
    THERES very wide variation from 1 estate to another to do with many factors ,like average income, the size of the estate ,the no of teens living there
    i think its a sad fact that many locals can,t afford 2buy in their area, but its a free market ,i dont think the government can control the whole property market.

I'm a professional... bought in Crumlin. I know a few others who did similar. Its a great place to live... once you get over the social welfare fraud!

i grew up in one of those areas and know whats its like to have lived there)

Me too

Fair enough, we dont know how many.

Are the numbers we do not know of, is it sufficient enough to bring that 78% to even 50%?

Wont you even agree that there are a hell of a lot of married couples?
    And it is enough to make a significant dent in the 78% that you are clinging onto for dear life.

Being pedantic, 70k divided by 2 is 35k which is under the higher tax rate burden :)
    Point being in the overall sense, thats a difference of some 600,000+ taxpayers, i seriously doubt the married tax credit helps that much.

Are you moving the goal posts now?
    But werent we talking about your method of "Proof" that 78% are paying tax at the lower rate?
    Exactly how few people do you think are married in Ireland anyway?

We do know nearly 40% pay no tax at all due to low wages so the numbers affecting from the married scenario wouldn't be much.

Could it be that there would be a higher proportion of people on low wages who arent married, younger age profile?
    There are more tax credits too you know. Read all about it. I'm sure there is more up to date info on tax credits somewhere too.

http://www.ireland.com/focus/election2007/features/features15.html

Have you not noticed that Dub prices actually went up the highest?
    An you know what goes up the furthest will fall the hardest(Price drops have been noted for this)

Have you noticed that no of jobs, incomes, population, etc in Dublin actually went up the highest?

Again, how do you define Dublin, is it everywhere? Is it everywhere bar the undesirable parts? (Note: Dublin and suburbs, not city centre exclusive)

Read my last post.

All im saying here is that your method of calculating that 78% of the workforce are on less than €35.4k, which we've wasted so many posts arguing, is flawed and so of no use to us at all, I think even you have to agree this.

Wont you even agree that there are a hell of a lot of married couples?
    Yes there are.
    And it is enough to make a significant dent in the 78% that you are clinging onto for dear life.
    Are you moving the goal posts now?
    But werent we talking about your method of "Proof" that 78% are paying tax at the lower rate?
    Exactly how few people do you think are married in Ireland anyway?
    Alot of course are married.

One thing you assuming is that all these married couples even qualify for the maximum married tax credits and other credits, wreckless assumption.
    Could it be that there would be a higher proportion of people on low wages who arent married, younger age profile?
    There are more tax credits too you know. Read all about it. I'm sure there is more up to date info on tax credits somewhere too.

http://www.ireland.com/focus/election2007/features/features15.html
    Yes i know about the tax credits, i even claim the max myself :)

So we know that around 850,000 do not pay income tax, thats a wage if i remember correctly of below 21k pa. We agree :D

I'd agree that older people generally earn more, its common sense as they have more job experience built up over the years.
    As we know the average FTB is about 32 yrs of age, what you just said above concurs that they don't really by large be raking it in on 50k each(some do, most don't) unless you think 32 is old?!

Lets see from the link. 2 income married couple tax band raised to 68k. One income married couple tax band raised to 43k

In order for the numbers to be sufficient to bring that 78% down by even 10% or 20%, you're going to need each person/couple of a marriage to be of lower pay(that shoots down your lots do earn 50k point), you cannot be saying that the vast majority of married couples are high earners?
    Thats just laughable, you have to agree there.

EDIT:Here's the 2007 link http://www.budget.gov.ie/2007/downloads/TechnicalAnalysis.pdf
    It looks as if around 11.5% of all types of people fall into the tax credit category to bring them down from higher rate of tax, still thats around 67% earning below 35.4k pa.

Have you noticed that no of jobs, incomes, population, etc in Dublin actually went up the highest?
    We know the jobs and population part, can you prove that incomes went up highest in Dublin to justify every single dwelling to go up in price too? (every single dwelling went up in proportion no matter where it was located(around 300% in 10yrs), on your logic, everyone's incomes went up by the same amount? :D
    And then we haven't even considered rental yields yet!
    All im saying here is that your method of calculating that 78% of the workforce are on less than €35.4k, which we've wasted so many posts arguing, is flawed and so of no use to us at all, I think even you have to agree this.

It ain't that flawed, i had suspected the married tax credit would bring that 78% down a few percentage points.
    It still proves that most people, and i mean the majority do not earn nowhere near 50k or even 40k.
    Even the only reliable figure for industry states an average industrial wage of 33k pa.
    Of course if we knew what the average or the fairer measurement called the MEAN wage of the workforce, then we could settle this for all but hey this is Ireland, the land of secret stats :D

• Advertisement

Yes there are.

Alot of course are married.

One thing you assuming is that all these married couples even qualify for the maximum married tax credits and other credits, wreckless assumption.

Yes i know about the tax credits, i even claim the max myself :)

So we know that around 850,000 do not pay income tax, thats a wage if i remember correctly of below 21k pa. We agree :D

I'd agree that older people generally earn more, its common sense as they have more job experience built up over the years.
    As we know the average FTB is about 32 yrs of age, what you just said above concurs that they don't really by large be raking it in on 50k each(some do, most don't) unless you think 32 is old?!

Lets see from the link. 2 income married couple tax band raised to 68k. One income married couple tax band raised to 43k

In order for the numbers to be sufficient to bring that 78% down by even 10% or 20%, you're going to need each person/couple of a marriage to be of lower pay(that shoots down your lots do earn 50k point), you cannot be saying that the vast majority of married couples are high earners?
    Thats just laughable, you have to agree there.

EDIT:Here's the 2007 link http://www.budget.gov.ie/2007/downloads/TechnicalAnalysis.pdf
    It looks as if around 11.5% of all types of people fall into the tax credit category to bring them down from higher rate of tax, still thats around 67% earning below 35.4k pa.

We know the jobs and population part, can you prove that incomes went up highest in Dublin to justify every single dwelling to go up in price too? (every single dwelling went up in proportion no matter where it was located(around 300% in 10yrs), on your logic, everyone's incomes went up by the same amount? :D
    And then we haven't even considered rental yields yet!

It ain't that flawed, i had suspected the married tax credit would bring that 78% down a few percentage points.
    It still proves that most people, and i mean the majority do not earn nowhere near 50k or even 40k.
    Even the only reliable figure for industry states an average industrial wage of 33k pa.
    Of course if we knew what the average or the fairer measurement called the MEAN wage of the workforce, then we could settle this for all but hey this is Ireland, the land of secret stats :D

Ok, so w're agreed you were wrong. And you've made a few mistakes in your last post too as usual, but i couldnt be arsed arguing with you. Its like talking to a brick wall. So you win if it means that much to you. I'm just wasting my time. Good luck on buying that house in the center of Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The bulls who two years ago argued that 'there won't be a housing price correction, but even if there is, it will be a soft landing where houses only go up by 5% a year instead of 15%, and even if there is a hard soft landing where prices decline, Dublin won't feel the effect, but even if house prices in Dublin do go down, the expensive D4 and D6 redbricks definitely won't go down...' have already been proven WRONG, as we've all seen in the papers and on the property asking price watch websites. How can anyone still argue that Dublin prices will be insulated from the ongoing crash in residential property values? If the value of 2-bed apartments (that no-one has or will ever probably live in) in Carrick-On-Shannon declines by 50% over the next 3 years and Dublin 3-bed semi-detachs only decline by 25%, does this count as 'showing resiliance'?

Ok, so w're agreed you were wrong. And you've made a few mistakes in your last post too as usual, but i couldnt be arsed arguing with you. Its like talking to a brick wall. So you win if it means that much to you. I'm just wasting my time. Good luck on buying that house in the center of Dublin by the way.

From 78% to 67%, that does not mean i was wrong as the vast majority of the workforce still do earn under 35.4k and thats the crux of the issue.
    At least we established that it is the real figure after tax credits have been included.
    I have stated the 67% figure before on boards last year and the year before when it came out so nothing new there on my part as the new 78% figure was released only 6 months ago.

It's not about winning and losing like throwing your toys out of the pram. Its about getting real facts out about the situation unlike your boasting about the 50k earning issue without figures to support it, i had to get the figures for you to disprove your ranting.

Don't get upset when facts and figures discredit your opinion :D
    ionapaul wrote:
    The bulls who two years ago argued that 'there won't be a housing price correction, but even if there is, it will be a soft landing where houses only go up by 5% a year instead of 15%, and even if there is a hard soft landing where prices decline, Dublin won't feel the effect, but even if house prices in Dublin do go down, the expensive D4 and D6 redbricks definitely won't go down...' have already been proven WRONG, as we've all seen in the papers and on the property asking price watch websites. How can anyone still argue that Dublin prices will be insulated from the ongoing crash in residential property values? If the value of 2-bed apartments (that no-one has or will ever probably live in) in Carrick-On-Shannon declines by 50% over the next 3 years and Dublin 3-bed semi-detachs only decline by 25%, does this count as 'showing resiliance'?

Thats because bulls have been living in ivory towers and as each bit of reality hits home, some do still be in denial despite facts and figures discrediting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

ionapaul wrote: »
    The bulls who two years ago argued that 'there won't be a housing price correction, but even if there is, it will be a soft landing where houses only go up by 5% a year instead of 15%, and even if there is a hard soft landing where prices decline...

No-one (or certainly no-one serious) was saying that a 5% increase instead of 15% would constitute a soft landing. That would be a continued boom! They were saying, from my memory that around a 20% drop would be a soft landing. The bears were and continue to,(ref:McWilliams Sunday Business post 1-Jun-08) say that a 50% drop is on the cards. Crazy talk. Interestingly the McWilliams article was also saying that negative sentiment would cause prices to be undervalued on the way down, just as things were overvalued on the way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

brendan4 wrote: »
    They were saying, from my memory that around a 20% drop would be a soft landing.
    This would have been a very bearish prediction in 2006. The standard bull prediction of that time varied between a) continued boom (though possibly at a reduced rate), b) some sort of levelling off (i.e. the soft landing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

No-one (or certainly no-one serious) was saying that a 5% increase instead of 15% would constitute a soft landing. That would be a continued boom! They were saying, from my memory that around a 20% drop would be a soft landing.
    Your memory serves you badly. The following quote is from less than a year ago and can be found here: http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=mhideykfey
    One of the keynote speakers was Ballyhaunis-born Marie Hunt, Director of CBRE, who is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s leading property experts.

Ms Hunt gave a fascinating insight into the current state of Ireland’s property industry and expressed confidence that the oft-predicted bust would not occur at any stage in the near future. While there would be a slowdown she was confident that the property sector was destined for a ‘soft landing’.

“There has been a definite slowdown in the residential sector and that was to be expected. We were never going to have a sitaution where property prices would continue to grow by up to 20 per cent per annum.

“Looking back on the last ten to twelve years it is clear that we did not provide sufficient residential accommodation in the past and we were playing catch-up for most of the boom years.

“We were building more houses per capita than any other country in the world and a lot of people made big money from the residential property explosion. That’s over now and I think it’s safe to say that the boom is not going to be repeated again.

“Property will continue to appreciate but it will be at far more moderate levels and there is likely to be less investment amongst speculators in the residential property sector.”

The bears were and continue to,(ref:McWilliams Sunday Business post 1-Jun-08) say that a 50% drop is on the cards. Crazy talk.
    While there may not be a widespread fall of 50% across the market, the possibly of some property falling 50% from the peak is most definately on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

If the value of 2-bed apartments (that no-one has or will ever probably live in) in Carrick-On-Shannon declines by 50% over the next 3 years and Dublin 3-bed semi-detachs only decline by 25%, does this count as 'showing resiliance'?
    Whatever about the price of apartments in Carrick on Shannon, the price of 3 bed semi detached in Dublin has only fallen 1% in last 12 months so maybe "this counts as showing resiliance"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the value of 2-bed apartments (that no-one has or will ever probably live in) in Carrick-On-Shannon declines by 50% over the next 3 years and Dublin 3-bed semi-detachs only decline by 25%, does this count as 'showing resiliance'?

Well- nationally prices have only fallen by 9.8% in the year to the end of April (and in April they fell by .9% on the previous month), so, this is relatively speaking an unusual degree of resiliance, particularly considering the current economic climate. New developments aside (some of which have had over 20% reductions in asking prices and are selling, others of which are still relying on free cars and other silly offers- and are not), the falls in Dublin 3-bed semis are for the most part theoretical in the current market- as the secondhand market has largely dried up (particularly with the insistence on a maximum of 92% mortgage which is excluding the average FTB from these- though some are managing to squirrel away surprisingly large deposits). If people really want to sell, they will have to drop prices. Now that rental yields are also falling- it stands to reason that the rent-it-out instead of selling it mentality will be revised in the months to come. Given that you cannot remortgage an investment property to release equity for the purchase of a PPR (as I discovered :(), if people are serious about moving house, they will just have to bite the bullet eventually. Interesting times.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Whatever about the price of apartments in Carrick on Shannon, the price of 3 bed semi detached in Dublin has only fallen 1% in last 12 months so maybe "this counts as showing resiliance"

The PTSB figures released last week showed a very slight increase in the 3-bed semi in dublin last month, somewhere around 1% or slightly less I recall. Although as pointed out, given the lack of volume in the market at the moment all such increases are largely illusory (not to mention the lack of visibility in the numbers anyway).

• Advertisement

And those figures are not even sales prices and they lag.

Think it was in the other bubble thread where other posters proved the figures were meaningless as they were based on very strange methods to calculate them.

A national sale price index like in other countries would be hell of alot more reliable.

Advertisement