Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds v Donny Rovers

• 24-05-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

The REAL showpiece playoff final:D

Watch the mighty white gods take another step closer towards re-capturing their former glory by beating some sh*t pub team from a small town in yorkshire

K.O 3pm Sunday

Expected Leeds XI

Casper Ankergran
    Frazer Richardson
    Lubomir Michalik
    Paul Huntington
    Bradley Johnson
    David Prutton
    Johnny Howson
    Jonathan Douglas
    Neil Kilkenny
    Jermaine Beckford
    Dougie Freedman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Come on Doncaster!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come on Leeds! No streams up at the moment. Fingers crossed for one closer to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come On Donny!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Come on Leeds....?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Come on Leeds.

So we can pick up 6 points next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Come on Doncaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

1-0 Doncaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LMAO at Sky Sports calling these teams ''passing sides'' They're ****ing rubbish.

What a crappy game.....typical 'up an at em' stuff.

Kieth Fahey is a better player than any of these jokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leeds staying where they are. Thought there'd be more activity on this thread. The Leeds thread didnt even get a bump.

30 secs left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Makes you wonder what the activity on the Leeds thread is going to be after this!

• Advertisement

And it's all over. Another year in the doldrems for Leeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Oh Well there's always next year, and at least we wont have a 15pt deficit to start with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They'll do it next year.

Mike.

deswalsh wrote: »
    Oh Well there's always next year, and at least we wont have a 15pt deficit to start with!

assuming theres no mo dodgy dealings course.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Last time Manu won the CL, Man City won the div 2 play off to ease their wounds slightly.

Poor Leeds supporters.

astrofool wrote: »
    Last time Manu won the CL, Man City won the div 2 play off to ease their wounds slightly.

Poor Leeds supporters.

:confused: What wounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I suspect he meant troubles of being in Division 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cruijff wrote: »
    I suspect he meant troubles of being in Division 2.

while seeing their bitter rivals win the biggest club cup competition.

Xavi, you have said you take great delight in seeing United fail, so seeing them succeed on such a level must hurt, or how else can you feel elation at failure.

Lol it certainly doesn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

Leeds staying where they are. Thought there'd be more activity on this thread. The Leeds thread didnt even get a bump.

30 secs left.

Most of the users on the Leeds Thread are at the game. Like real fans should be. At least those of us that can afford it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Stekelly wrote: »

30 secs left.

heaven forbid we actually watch the game without the need to post updates here every 5 minutes
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder what the activity on the Leeds thread is going to be after this!

well considering we have average home gates better than some premiership teams, our fans wont just leave when things get tough
    assuming theres no mo dodgy dealings course.:)

care to explain what "dodgy" dealings you are referring to that we got deducted 15 points for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol it certainly doesn't hurt.
    how can you feel elsation at failure if success doesn't effect you?

event wrote: »
    heaven forbid we actually watch the game without the need to post updates here every 5 minutes

well considering we have average home gates better than some premiership teams, our fans wont just leave when things get tough

care to explain what "dodgy" dealings you are referring to that we got deducted 15 points for?

Touchy much?

Dont see any Doncaster fans giving out.

I would consider any dealings that result in points deductions dodgy btw.

Tauren wrote: »
    how can you feel elsation at failure if success doesn't effect you?

Way OT but anyway, quite easily really. When United lose it's fantastic and when they win it's "meh". Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

event wrote: »

here here.

There is regularly United, Liverpool and Arsenal posts DURING big games watching streaming games on their laptops in their bedrooms.

Proper fans go to the games.

Just back from the stadium, gutted.

quarryman wrote: »
    There is regularly United, Liverpool and Arsenal posts DURING big games watching streaming games on their laptops in their bedrooms.

Have you travelled from Ireland to every Leeds game? (or even from wherever you live in the UK? I assume i's close enough to Wembley if your home)

I would have been posting here throughout the game but unfortunately there were no streams available on either sopcast or tvu player.

Have you travelled from Ireland to every Leeds game? (or even from wherever you live in the UK? I assume i's close enough to Wembley if your home)

I'm a season ticket holder living in Dublin. I'd say I've been to more games this season than Liverpool games you've EVER been to, never seen you posting about being at a game.

When did I say I was at home, you can get the internet in hotels you know.

Go back to your hole.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm numb. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Attacking Man u fans for not going to games!!

A) Its quite hard to get tickets for most leage games at old trafford
    secondly you say your a leeds season ticket holder and have gone to alot of games this season. Well not everyone can afford to go over to to the Uk games let alone get a ticket. If you have done your research you would know its quite difficult to get a season ticket for Man Utd

B) Some people prefer to see games on TV. I was at the Ireland game last nite..awful game but I was more inclined to look a the big screen at croker to see whats going on as I was in a **** part of the Hogan Stand. I also got that ticket free..it quite expensive to go to every game and I dont see why you have to be at the game to support or care about your team. Dont get me wrong if I could get a ticket and money/time was no object I would try and get to most games but I know people who can get tickets for united games but prefer watching it on the box and they live in manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Attacking Man u fans for not going to games!!

secondly you say your a leeds season ticket holder and have gone to alot of games this season. Well not everyone can afford to go over to to the Uk games let alone get a ticket. If you have done your research you would know its quite difficult to get a season ticket for Man Utd

B) Some people prefer to see games on TV. I was at the Ireland game last nite..awful game but I was more inclined to look a the big screen at croker to see whats going on as I was in a **** part of the Hogan Stand. I also got that ticket free..it quite expensive to go to every game and I dont see why you have to be at the game to support or care about your team. Dont get me wrong if I could get a ticket and money/time was no object I would try and get to most games but I know people who can get tickets for united games but prefer watching it on the box and they live in manchester.

Oh lord, every Eircom League vs Foreign Clubs argument justified in 1 post.

I'm a season ticket holder living in Dublin. I'd say I've been to more games this season than Liverpool games you've EVER been to, never seen you posting about being at a game.

When did I say I was at home, you can get the internet in hotels you know.

Go back to your hole.

But surely your not a real fan unless you go to them all. Or is there a quota (I'm guessing it'll be set somewhere below the amount of games you go over to) that you have to be above to be a "real" fan.

How do you know how many games I've been to ?

Plus I dont have the option of just buying a season ticket, I'm on a several year waiting list.

BTW what part of me saying I expected more traffic on the thread was an invite to you venting your frustrations at loseing to Doncaster at me? The CL & FA cup final threads were not exclusivly populated by Utd/Chelsea/Cardiff and Pompey fans. Meh, maybe people just dont care about the lower leagues.

Either way, cop on and grow up, you lost. If you want to take your mood out on someone , look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Rovers were by far the better team.
    O'Connor and Sullivan in particular stood out for me.
    It's tough for Leeds fans, but they got beaten on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I would consider any dealings that result in points deductions dodgy btw.

well then you'd be wrong

BTW what part of me saying I expected more traffic on the thread was an invite to you venting your frustrations at loseing to Doncaster at me? The CL & FA cup final threads were not exclusivly populated by Utd/Chelsea/Cardiff and Pompey fans. Meh, maybe people just dont care about the lower leagues.

Either way, cop on and grow up, you lost. If you want to take your mood out on someone , look elsewhere.

After some contemplation I agree my response was a bit harsh. I guess it was a bad time for me to post.

I just don't understand the mentality of Leeds' old rivals, United, Liverpool fans etc celebrating Leeds' not getting promotion. Regardless of my bias to some teams more than others I would always want to see the biggest clubs up competing where they belong.

Can you honestly say you would be happier to Hull City in the Premiership rather than Leeds?

A Leeds/Man United Leeds/Liverpool game was as good as it got in terms of rivalry. Anybody who doesn't want that back is not a fan of football as far as I'm concerned, they're bitter.

I know plenty of people that regularly go over to United games. The tickets are there if people really want to get them. I know a lot more people that support their club from their armchair despite having the money to do otherwise.

No arguement from me here. On the balance of play I would say Doncaster deserved it.

It is just so frustrating looking at the potential of a club and seeing them languishing in the 3rd division. :(

Next year lads, next year.....

• Advertisement

Delighted Doncaster won the game. They deserved it and nothing to do with me hating Leeds at all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leeds dominated for at least 60 minutes of that me, but just couldnt get the finish in. I wont deny Doncaster, as they do play some nice football at times, but Leeds were better today. Didnt show in the scoreline, but as I said in the Leeds thread, win ugly would be fine...thats what Doncaster did!

MOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Congratulations to Doncaster, great achievement for them being in the 2nd tier of English football. I always like seeing the samller clubs do well.
    Hard luck to Leeds, but it is only a matter of time before they are back in the Championship, and possibly Premiership within the next 10 years.
    Quarryman wrote:
    Can you honestly say you would be happier to Hull City in the Premiership rather than Leeds?
    Yes. Delighted for Hull, first time there in 104 years. And with the way they're playing at the moment, they could very well stay up.I'd certainly fancy them over Stoke (just my opinion)

Anyways commiserations to Leeds, probable League 1 champions of 2009!* ;)

*on second thoughts, Leicester will probably win. Leeds might come second though...

It's funny how some Leeds supporters think the club has every right to be in the Premiership. Hull have earned their way to the Premiership in a fair manner.

Yeah that is really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

kensutz wrote: »
    It's funny how some Leeds supporters think the club has every right to be in the Premiership. Hull have earned their way to the Premiership in a fair manner.

Me aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrssssssssseeeeeeeeeee.

Leeds fans, like fans of any team who have been relegated, just want them back up.

Hull have every right to be in the Premier League and good luck to them. But any Leeds fan would naturally feel a bit hard done by about the 15 point deduction this season. Were it not for that they would have gone up.

As glorious as Hull V Stoke in the Premier League may sound I'd agree that the league is better with some of the "larger" clubs in it, e.g Man City and Sunderland. These clubs have a much better chance of actually staying up as they can spend a bit of cash. Instead of doing a Derby and getting slaughtered by everyone on a weekly basis.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Were it not for that they would have gone up.

Debatable. Of course if the 15 points were reinstated now they'd be up as a result, but if the 15 points hadn't been taken away in the first place, its highly probable that Leeds wouldn't have been galvanised by that us vs. the world attitude and mightn't have gone on the same amazing run they did at the start of the season. That might easily have been worth 9 points to the side. Especially considering the amount of late goals Leeds got. Its utterly useless to say what would have happened because none of us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

As a Forest Fan:pac: Hard Luck Leeds .... I know how it feels.

I wouldn't kid yourselves into thinking 'Ah sure, we'll win it easy next year" ....because it's not that simple after you stay down a couple of seasons.

There will be major job cuts at Leeds now, wage bill slashed, sponsorship money reduced, season ticket sales down, moral decimated....and there's a few handy teams in that Division next year with a few quid to spend....so it's no done deal that you will go up next year either. #every club in the division will have you marked down as their 'cup final'.

Forest got lucky this season....Doncaster and Carisle couldn't fall over the line and they let us in the back door......thanks be to jaysus, because watching Div 1 football tripe is depressing stuff.

DSB wrote: »
    Debatable. Of course if the 15 points were reinstated now they'd be up as a result, but if the 15 points hadn't been taken away in the first place, its highly probable that Leeds wouldn't have been galvanised by that us vs. the world attitude and mightn't have gone on the same amazing run they did at the start of the season. That might easily have been worth 9 points to the side. Especially considering the amount of late goals Leeds got. Its utterly useless to say what would have happened because none of us know.

Balls. You can speculate all you like how they would or would not have performed. Its a bit like saying that Chelsea would have won the Champions League if Terry had not played because he would not have slipped and someone else would have taken the last penno. However, IF someone had dried out the penalty spot MAYBE he would have scored.

Stick to the facts. Leeds finished 1 point less than the team which won the league. Effectively, over 46 games, they were the 2nd best team in that division.

Now, the business about the 15 point thing has been discussed to death but that league table speaks for itself in terms of which teams performed well over the whole season. Teams rally for a game or two, not 46.

"Utterly useless". Indeed.

Anyway, good luck to Donny. Three promotions in five years is a fantastic achievement.

Culchie wrote: »
    As a Forest Fan:pac: Hard Luck Leeds .... I know how it feels.

I wouldn't kid yourselves into thinking 'Ah sure, we'll win it easy next year" ....because it's not that simple after you stay down a couple of seasons.

There will be major job cuts at Leeds now, wage bill slashed, sponsorship money reduced, season ticket sales down, moral decimated....and there's a few handy teams in that Division next year with a few quid to spend....so it's no done deal that you will go up next year either. #every club in the division will have you marked down as their 'cup final'.

Forest got lucky this season....Doncaster and Carisle couldn't fall over the line and they let us in the back door......thanks be to jaysus, because watching Div 1 football tripe is depressing stuff.

Actually I don't think it's quite as gloomy as that. A lot of trimming was done at the start of the season due to the well publicised financial issues, so I don't think there'll be a major cull. I also reckon that because of the 15 points deduction quite a few of the players who signed at the start of the season may have been told that promotion would be a more realistic aim for year two, and a bonus if we went up this season. The signing of Andy Robinson from Swansea, who turned down guaranteed Championship football next season, underlines this. Average attendances might drop a little, but the club was the 14th best supported in England, and I think the majority will continue to go to Elland Road. And while there are tough teams in the division, it'll be arguably weaker next season with Swansea, Forest and Doncaster not there, and only really Leicester coming down that should cause any concern.

That said, I do realise that it took Forest 3 years to get out of the pit, and I was genuinely glad for them that they did, but with a level playing field next year and a couple of decent signings I'm in the unusual position of being optimistic about a coming season.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Stick to the facts. Leeds finished 1 point less than the team which won the league.

The facts are actually that Leeds finished 16 points behind them. You're speculating just as much as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Zaph wrote: »
    Actually I don't think it's quite as gloomy as that. A lot of trimming was done at the start of the season due to the well publicised financial issues, so I don't think there'll be a major cull. I also reckon that because of the 15 points deduction quite a few of the players who signed at the start of the season may have been told that promotion would be a more realistic aim for year two, and a bonus if we went up this season. The signing of Andy Robinson from Swansea, who turned down guaranteed Championship football next season, underlines this. Average attendances might drop a little, but the club was the 14th best supported in England, and I think the majority will continue to go to Elland Road. And while there are tough teams in the division, it'll be arguably weaker next season with Swansea, Forest and Doncaster not there, and only really Leicester coming down that should cause any concern.

That said, I do realise that it took Forest 3 years to get out of the pit, and I was genuinely glad for them that they did, but with a level playing field next year and a couple of decent signings I'm in the unusual position of being optimistic about a coming season.

tbh, i hope you're right. I'm probably just scarred from the whole experience.

It's not a pretty place to be.

Culchie wrote: »
    tbh, i hope you're right. I'm probably just scarred from the whole experience.

It's not a pretty place to be.

It certainly isn't.

DSB wrote: »
    The facts are actually that Leeds finished 16 points behind them. You're speculating just as much as me.

I'm aware of Leeds being deducted 15 points. What I'm trying to say to you here is that like every other team in that league they played 46 games. Those 46 games give a good indication of which team is either good or bad.

Swansea played 46 games. They won 27 and drew 11. Total points: 92.
    Leeds played 46 games. They won 27 and drew 10. Total points: 91.
    Leeds were deducted 15 points by the FA.

Where exactly am I speculating about any of the above or are you going to give me more IF/WHAT/MAYBE/PERHAPS/ spiel?

By the way, if I had known Saturday's Lotto numbers before hand I would have won.

Advertisement