Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psi ?????

• 24-05-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,

I am doing an honours degree in psychology. An application has not yet been sent in to the Psychological Society of Ireland for recognition. I've checked their website and I can see our course fits the rules to be accepted by the PSI. An application is being sent in by our college very shortly. The course is also in its first year.

How worried would you be about this matter. We have been told that our hons degree in psychology should be acknowledged and accepted by the time or before we have finished our degree.

What do you think :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I'd be slightly worried - you're a bit screwed if your course ends up not being accredited.

How come you didn't do an accredited course?

You might be all right if the course seems to fit the criteria, but it's definitely a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

seems risky. may i ask where you're studying? - curiousity

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

i was actually in a similar situation (thankfully we got it), but yea do be worried...the psi weren't exactly quick to send someone out and verify that the course fit all the criateria or whatnot. and you might even get a nice little wine reception when you do get it.

on a slightly similar note, is it worth my while applying for membership to the psi. i'm a postgrad student with high-flying ideas of becoming a doctor some day and i know it looks good on the CV but is it worth my while at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

Ye, why not apply! I know someone who applied for membership years after finishing study. I hear you have to gather together everything that you've studied and worked at from the time you finish your degree onwards and it takes awhile.

theres also student subscribership for undergrads. the SAG, (student affairs group) of the psi are hoping to increase links between students in different colleges. there however has been an increase in the student subscribership from 10 euro to 40 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

theres also student subscribership for undergrads. the SAG, (student affairs group) of the psi are hoping to increase links between students in different colleges. there however has been an increase in the student subscribership from 10 euro to 40 euro.

I'm on the SAG commitee, Here's my email Emmet.C.Clarke AT gmail.com and you can email me any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them with the other commitee members.

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm on the SAG commitee, Here's my email Emmet.C.Clarke AT gmail.com and you can email me any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them with the other commitee members.

im the SAG rep from Galway, I'd say i meet you in Mary I. i actually have something i meant to mention to you, i'l pm you.

I'm trying to get the messsage out to this new course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Personally i'd be more worried if the course wasn't accredited by the BPS. To me the PSI recognition isn't worth much. Considering for a lot of post-grad psych courses you will probably end up needing to study in the UK, you're screwed if your course only has PSI accred...such as with DBS's degrees. And from what i've seen, there's no way their current psych degree would be accredited by the BPS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

Oh right, I was under the impression that the PSI had similar guidelines to that of the BPS and the APA. Basically, if your accredited by the PSI, then you should be accepted by the BPS. Maybe I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NaoiseC

eth0_ wrote: »
    Personally i'd be more worried if the course wasn't accredited by the BPS. To me the PSI recognition isn't worth much. Considering for a lot of post-grad psych courses you will probably end up needing to study in the UK, you're screwed if your course only has PSI accred...such as with DBS's degrees. And from what i've seen, there's no way their current psych degree would be accredited by the BPS!

Hi Eth0,

I don't know where you get your information, but from the BPS website:
    "The Psychological Society of Ireland accredits courses in the Republic of Ireland and a list of these may be found at www.psihq.ie"

From the PSI accreditation page here:
    "The Psychological Society of Ireland and the British Psychological Society signed a memorandum of agreement in October 2006, whereby the two Societies agreed to recognise each other’s undergraduate accreditation procedures."

Both the full time and part time DBS Psychology degrees are listed as PSI accredited, therefore they are recognised by BPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Didn't know about that agreement Naoise, thanks for the info.

Advertisement