Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Script Installer

Options
  • 24-05-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool for making a PHP installer. What I mean is, I've made an application in PHP and if I could avoid going through the tedium of writing an installer for it, that would be awesome. Need the usual stuff, check for features installed in the server, check for (some) directory write permissions, allow the user to enter their database username/pass/location and then create the tables.

I found a website http://www.buildexec.com/ that does it, but if there was a Windows program I could use instead, I'd be really happy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

I dont follow, what do you need installed?

Cant you just run the php file?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

It's a complicated application so an installer would do the following:

Check the server for specific requirements, in my case I need PHP5 with MySQLi extensions and MySQL with InnoDB enabled. If a user tried to run the application with these, it would just fail.

Check directory and file permissions and indicate to the user if they need to be changed.

Setup database tables (empty, naturally. But they still need to exist). This would also mean getting the username/password/database too.

Take initial configuration variables from the user. Naturally I could default these and have them change them later in some configuration interface, but it's usually nice to get the raw variables which define this instance of the application. In my case, it would be asking them for a project name.

See what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Can that not be all done from a browser?
    A simple php page could do all of that and you could import other pages to bulk it up into an application.

The most common application i can compare to what you are describing is the installation of any php forum, its all installed from a php page includin gthe checks and DB structures you suggest.

Maybe im still missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Er... yeah... a utility to generate one?

Did you even look at the website?

Advertisement