Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John terry issues open letter to fans

• 24-05-2008 10:22pm

Wow....seriously this isnt a joke. From their official website.

Linky

John Terry wrote:
    I am and ALWAYS will be Chelsea through and through. I will give my all on and off the pitch to win this trophy as a player and one day as a manager. And I am sure we will win it.

:eek::confused:

Didn't Anelka miss the crucial penalty? Did Shevchenko issue an apology letter for missing a penalty in 2005?

Honestly, my sympathy for him is on the wane, this stinks of attention whoredom and drama queen-dom. I ask anyone who disagrees tho think about how they;d react if Terry had scored and Cristiano Ronaldo issued this letter.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ah... it's a sincere apology.

I don't think we should give him a hard time for it. He obviously feels he has let everyone down.

IMO it's nice to see... most players don't give a **** these days.

dublindude wrote: »
    Ah... it's a sincere apology.

I don't think we should give him a hard time for it. He obviously feels he has let everyone down.

IMO it's nice to see... most players don't give a **** these days.

I know it is but c'mon.

He doesnt need to apologise FFS. Why should he? He missed a penalty, it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

fairplay to Terry, i'm not suprised by his letter, he was one of the few people i had respect for but he lost some that when i read what he did to Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He wasn't Chelsea through and through till Abramovich and his massive wages arrived at the bridge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

astrofool wrote: »
    He wasn't Chelsea through and through till Abramovich and his massive wages arrived at the bridge :)

Ouch, ive a feeling you might pay for that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

astrofool wrote: »

I'd imagine he was. He has been there long before Abramovich came along with his money truck. With Terry, I really don't think it comes down to money. Sure, he wants top dollar, as to get anything less would be a sign of disrespect, but I do get the impression he bleeds the blue.

I could never see him pulling the antics Gerrard did a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

TBH John Terry is a scumbag, his off pitch antics are a disgrace and I have to say I almost felt sorry for him until I seen the Tevez spitting incident.

The man deserves everything he gets. "I wear my heart on my sleeve" Gimme a break....

wingnut32 wrote: »
    TBH John Terry is a scumbag, his off pitch antics are a disgrace and I have to say I almost felt sorry for him until I seen the Tevez spitting incident.

The man deserves everything he gets. "I wear my heart on my sleeve" Gimme a break....

You must have seen something no one else has, as I don't think anyone has seen Terry spit on Tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Linky

Didn't Anelka miss the crucial penalty? Did Shevchenko issue an apology letter for missing a penalty in 2005?

Honestly, my sympathy for him is on the wane, this stinks of attention whoredom and drama queen-dom. I ask anyone who disagrees tho think about how they;d react if Terry had scored and Cristiano Ronaldo issued this letter.....

He feels he had a chance to win the trophy. He blew it. For that he has the humility to apologise.

Fair play to him.

Why choose his honesty as another excuse to attack him?

Anelka's penno wouldn't have won anything.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    He feels he had a chance to win the trophy. He blew it. For that he has the humility to apologise.

Fair play to him.

Why choose his honesty as another excuse to attack him?

Anelka's penno wouldn't have won anything.

And Terrys penalty in the same way didnt lose anything.

Im not attacking him btw, im bringin this to the boardsies attention and then I gave my opinion on it. I also asked you to imagine if Ronaldo had issued this had Terry scored...he'd be getting slaughtered for it, and possibly rightly so.

• Advertisement

You must have seen something no one else has, as I don't think anyone has seen Terry spit on Tevez.

[IMG]http://[/img]aylrn6.gif

aylrn6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It looks like he was going to spit on him, then realised the ref was there, so changed it into some kind of mouth wiping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Don't think he needs to apologise but in a footballing world where a lot of players have loyalty only to the highest bidder (not saying that this is wrong btw) it is refreshing that he has shown how much this has hurt him. I think that if you have even a passing interest in football you will recognise that he is CFC through and through
    TBH John Terry is a scumbag

Quite like the offside rule I'm never quite sure about the alledged rule the boards.ie has about personal abuse towards players. Perhaps somebody will be kind enough to explain it to me (not the offside rule - nobody seems to gree on that one)

dublindude wrote: »
    It looks like he was going to spit on him, then realised the ref was there, so changed it into some kind of mouth wiping.

Watch tevez wipe the back of his neck, also try and read Terry's lips, looks like he's saying " you f***g argie b****d"

aylrn6.gif

And your point is? I cannot see any spit leave Terry's mouth, nor any spit hit Tevez' neck.

Now I know you'll saw, 'but look at Tevez rub his neck neck!'. If that is the evidence that is required, than trial by media and all that has gotten way out of control.

I do see Tevez rub his neck, and I also see that he appears to react as if he found nothing. Surely if there was spit there he would have rubbed it, gone mental, and shown the ref. In that clip, I also see the ref looking directly in between Tevez and Terry, exactly where said spit would travel. Again, I see no reaction by the ref.

This video that has been doing the rounds is doing my nut in. People try and use it to prove Terry spat on Tevez. Yet, if anything, the footage disproves such allegations.

I am surprised these threads haven't been locked, as stating that someone spat at another person, in my view, is libellous, and could constitute defamation if pressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's a sincere apology to all the Chelsea fans but I for one don't think it's needed. All of us know he saved us by turning the goal bound shot over the bar in extra time. Had it not been for him we wouldn't have gotten to penos.I don't think any true Chelsea fan begrudges him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I presume if he really is saying 'you fu*king argie bastard', then he got the spit out somewhere between the 'bas' and 'tard', what a multi-tasker that Terry... I can't believe people are putting Terry to the sword on that innocuous clip...

He spat on him, and my point is as previously stated Terry is a scumbag. This guy cheats on his wife, has been accused of racist slurs against fellow proffesionals and has been involved in countless bar brawls.

Not exactly a role model never mind a captain of his country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He spat on him, and my point is as previously stated Terry is a scumbag. This guy cheats on his wife, has been accused of racist slurs against fellow proffesionals and has been involved in countless bar brawls.

He is a bad sport on the pitch too.
    Always surrounding referees and trying to intimidate them.
    He is very sly player,very fond of grabbing players .
    Himself and Carvalho are master cheats.
    Masters of pulling,grabbing ,obstruction etc.
    How they get away with some of their antics is frankly baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

now i'm not saying i disagree with you but you're not gonna last long here :D

I am surprised these threads haven't been locked, as stating that someone spat at another person, in my view, is libellous, and could constitute defamation if pressed.

This is an open forum where people are entitled to express their views, its not a courtroom, far from it....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ahahaha

Laters Wingnut32....

Mess with the best, die like the rest....

terry.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol. <3 it wingnut32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If you look at the full vid of that incident it looks more like Drogba spat on him! Just before Drogba's face goes outta view beind Terry's head you can see him hocking up and then when it comes back into view it looks like he's just finished the spiting motion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont think he has to apologise in fairness. its a little weird but nothing to really talk about imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I know it is but c'mon.

He doesnt need to apologise FFS. Why should he? He missed a penalty, it happens.

My opinion of utd fans decreases by the day. Of course Ronaldo would owe the fans an apology. Grow up. Of course, the fact he (from memory) blocked at least one shot that would have been a goal buys him some credit, but still.
    TBH John Terry is a scumbag, his off pitch antics are a disgrace

Name one thing he has done off pitch since the assault case or the September 11th business to make him a scumbag.

7 years is a long time, get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

SCULLY wrote: »
    Quite like the offside rule I'm never quite sure about the alledged rule the boards.ie has about personal abuse towards players. Perhaps somebody will be kind enough to explain it to me (not the offside rule - nobody seems to gree on that one)

yeah thats a breach of the rules allright. Got an infraction for a similar incident about gary neville. Two weeks on the bench for that comment i'd say.

Terry is heart-broken, cut him some slack.And ronaldo would not have issued such a letter had they lost cos he would be over having contract talks in madrid :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I like to park in handicapped spaces while handicapped people makes handicapped faces ...I'M AN AS*HOLE!

Good player, Chelsea through and through.

Agressive, moaning, characterless, git.

I mean you only have to look at the Chelsea reactions to Tevez kicking the ball out instead of returning it to the keeper, a tactic that they started using against Arsenal and Man U,k to see that they think they've a devine right to get away with more - one rule for us, another for everyone else IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gosplan wrote: »
    I like to park in handicapped spaces while handicapped people makes handicapped faces ...I'M AN AS*HOLE!

Mother of jaysus :eek: :eek:

Joey Barton should be released immediately and his cell given to Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I say lock this up before it becomes(even more so) another witch hunt on John Terry, i dont fancy getting myself banned today.

Re Terry: He has absolutely nothing to apologise for, hes a legend, and we wouldnt have even got to penos without him. If anybody should apologise, its Drogba, he really pissed me off with his childish antics and i for one will be glad to see the back of him.

I can't quite believe I'm defending John Terry but...

Fair play for that letter. What harm can it do? The guy blames himself for losing the shoot-out. He IS Chelsea through and through, been there since he was a kid and has said numerous times he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I've great eyesight and I can't see him spitting on Tevez.
    AFAIK the ref's match report hasn't been made public yet and as for the lip-reading experts out there, you really should all consider making money on those skills because I can't see what he's saying.

Finally, I work in the media, have done for years.
    Believe me if there was a sniff of PROOF that Terry had made racist comments the media would be down on it like a ton of bricks.

And find me a team that doesn't feature hooker-paying, wife-beating, boozing, 4x4-driving, referee-roaring players....

shane86 wrote: »
    My opinion of utd fans decreases by the day. Of course Ronaldo would owe the fans an apology. Grow up. Of course, the fact he (from memory) blocked at least one shot that would have been a goal buys him some credit, but still.
    Oh no...oh wait, i could care less what u think of me. Who do u support so I can make sweeping generalisations about your clubs fan base based on what a few people on an internet forum say?

U quoted me saying this:
    I know it is but c'mon.

And then u say your opinion of all United fans goes down cos of that? Sounds like u had a low opinion to start with cos if that lowers your opinion of someone then u have some problems. fact is he doesnt owe any fans anything. Fans should be big and mature enough to know that there must be a winner and a loser. They shouldnt demand an apology...the onyl person(s) that he MAYBE should apologise to (in private) is his team mates.

Why dont u grow up, thats absolute nonsense that ronaldo would owe an aplology. The guy scored 42 goals for us this season, was our best player, got us out of some games where we may not have won otherwise....he doesnt owe fans an apology. he might owe fan an interview where he commits to the club yea, but not an apology (had his miss cost us).

The fact that u think he needed to make an apology shows how ludicrous some fans can be. there has to be a winner and a loser. Normally the loser has one member of their team who was at fault for the decisive goal. Should they come out and apologise every week?
    shane86 wrote:
    Name one thing he has done off pitch since the assault case or the September 11th business to make him a scumbag.

7 years is a long time, get over yourself.

The worst for me was the rumours of him insisting that his latest contract include a clause allowing him to become the manager.....hence why I highlighted that quote.

i never said he was a scumbag though, and i knwo u arent quoting me there.

Frankly the main reason i lack sympathy is the quote from that apology where he says "I'm a big man".....who the hell says that. It just reeks of arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Frankly the main reason i like sympathy is the quote from that apology where he says "I'm a big man".....who the hell says that. It just reeks of arrogance.

You've taken that slightly out of context there, he says it in the sense that "Im a Big Man, I can admit it was my fault" and so forth, as opposed to "I wasnt sufficiently warmed up to take a peno in the CL final"

EDIT:Although Im not implying hes taking a dig at Anelka before he gets accused of that too lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

stick-dan wrote: »
    yeah thats a breach of the rules allright. Got an infraction for a similar incident about gary neville. Two weeks on the bench for that comment i'd say.

We'll just have to watch and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Am I the only one who is more shocked at the fact as the OP highlighted he is stating he will be Chelsea manager in the future. Now that is coming across as a bit arrogant,

" one day as a manager . I am sure we will win it. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is more shocked at the fact as the OP highlighted he is stating he will be Chelsea manager in the future. Now that is coming across as a bit arrogant,

Way to change his words to suit your point.He only says he'd like to win it as a player and a manager, NOT as a chelsea player and chelsea manager.

This is just another shining example of people looking to nitpick and fault a player who they dislike.Just like all of the people saying he spat and that they can lip read what he said, you've no solid proof, just believing what you want to believe, because you dislike John Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Your from Dublin. You don't know Terry so why do you get so upset by it?

Anam wrote: »
    Way to change his words to suit your point.He only says he'd like to win it as a player and a manager, NOT as a chelsea player and chelsea manager.

This is just another shining example of people looking to nitpick and fault a player who they dislike.Just like all of the people saying he spat and that they can lip read what he said, you've no solid proof, just believing what you want to believe, because you dislike John Terry.

Following is Copied and pasted from OP......

riginally Posted by John Terry
    I am and ALWAYS will be Chelsea through and through. I will give my all on and off the pitch to win this trophy as a player and one day as a manager. And I am sure we will win it.

Where have I CHANGED WORDS !
    Just noticed I left out one word "AND" a honest mistake
    But if I put it back in .It helps my case of arrogant IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol bit of ownage there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Nothing wrong with JT wanting to one day become Chelsea manager, just like Bruce, Keane and Hughes would love to maybe one day return to United as managers.

selpher wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with JT wanting to one day become Chelsea manager, just like Bruce, Keane and Hughes would love to maybe one day return to United as managers.

Thats true . But I was saying it just sound a bit arrogant and reads like he thinks the job will automatic be his. Bruce, Keane and co have stated when asked by reporters etc yes someday they would love to manage Utd if they where approached . a bit different IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Linky

I bet it was written for him by Brooklyn Beckham!!!?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Following is Copied and pasted from OP......

riginally Posted by John Terry

Where have I CHANGED WORDS !
    Just noticed I left out one word "AND" a honest mistake
    But if I put it back in .It helps my case of arrogant IMO

I didnt mean literally change his words, rather take your own meaning from them.Perhaps "put words in his mouth" would have been a more apt thing to say.You said that he stated he will be chelsea manager in the future.He DIDNT say this, he said he hopes to win the CL as a player and manager, never does he say Chelsea manager.

Also to the person who said "Your from Dublin. You don't know Terry so why do you get so upset by it? "

Indeed I am from Dublin for what its worth, "so upset" might be a bit of an overstatement.I find it annoying for people to villify the captain of my club and one of my favourite players, without in my opinion,just cause.By all means, continue the Terry bashing if it makes you feel better
    but its really quite petty to jump on every word he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

TBH John Terry is a scumbag.

That's not a very nice thing to say. I like John Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

why are people calling him arrogant. get a grip folks. i dont like chelsea or terry. but i can appreciate what a rock he has been. for him to say he will win the champions league as a player or manager is not arrogant. it is confident!!!
    when william gallas showed his negative emotions after the birmingham game he was ripped to shreds for it. he shouldnt be captain ppl said. now that JT has done the opposite and declared that he will win the CL he is being called arrogant.
    If steven gerard came out and said that he will win the league as a liverpool player before he retires i wouldnt respond by sayin oooooooooooooohhhhh ur so arrogant, i now dont like you anymore!!

and to the OP referring to what would be the response if it was a letter from ronaldo after missing if chelsea won...what if it was roy keane?? would you call him a media whore. no you would say oh what a guy what a captain!!!

to everyone else, if it was roy keane who said he will win this...he will win that...oh no wait, thats the way he was about everything!!! and if it is arrogance, maybe we need more arrogance in the players of the teams we all support!!!

mormank wrote: »
    and to the OP referring to what would be the response if it was a letter from ronaldo after missing if chelsea won...what if it was roy keane?? would you call him a media whore. no you would say oh what a guy what a captain!!!

to everyone else, if it was roy keane who said he will win this...he will win that...oh no wait, thats the way he was about everything!!! and if it is arrogance, maybe we need more arrogance in the players of the teams we all support!!!
    Again, he doesnt need to say this. People know he is gutted. Stuart pearce, David Batty, David Seaman, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo have all been vilified on a national level in recent years as scapegoats for Englands shortcomings in major tournaments....I have yet to see any of those guys release letters explaining themselves.

As for your comparison to if Keano did it....well Keane, if he did that Id be thinking, why is the Sunderland manager saying he;s going to win trophies on the field? Isnt he retired? Id be worried that he's having withdrawal symptoms!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Again, he doesnt need to say this. People know he is gutted. Stuart pearce, David Batty, David Seaman, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo have all been vilified on a national level in recent years as scapegoats for Englands shortcomings in major tournaments....I have yet to see any of those guys release letters explaining themselves.

As for your comparison to if Keano did it....well Keane, if he did that Id be thinking, why is the Sunderland manager saying he;s going to win trophies on the field? Isnt he retired? Id be worried that he's having withdrawal symptoms!! :pac::pac::pac:

u know what i meant about keane...

and terry's miss was different to all of the above listed. all he has to is score from a penalty to be champions. the others missed in semi finals or quarter finals. terry's was probably the most heart breaking kick you could miss ever, bar the eqivalent in a world cup final maybe. he had the chance to score and win. the others missed and then the other team scored to win. so much worse for terry

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Fair play to Terry. I'm not particularly fond of him but he's shown he's a real Leader of his team. He has no need to beat himself up about it. Both United and Chelsea gave us all a memorable CL final. Terry himself got Chelsea to the penalty shoot out by clearing off the line from Giggs late on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement