Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement double glazed windows (coated wood)

Options
  • 24-05-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Recently had a window & back door replaced - would be grateful for comments on following queries:

Although I asked for wood painted white, there is no sign at all of wood grain - can this be a very thick plastic paint/coating over wood or have they given me PVC ? No product information/instructions or indeed guarantee were supplied.

The saddleboard (?) fitted with the door is a death trap, really awkward & high. It is made of hardwood with two levels with a further piece of pine nailed to the floor in front at yet another height. There were two cement steps down outside originally, but the new hardwood saddle has been extended outwards several inches over the original top step, making it very narrow & positively dangerous to step out on.

Also, the door itself is difficult to lock - you raise the handle while turning a knob but it never locks first attempt !

Are these common problems or did I choose the wrong company ? Anyone have any idea what can be done to rectify these problems?

Thanks

Maryxyz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

maryxyz wrote: »
    Although I asked for wood painted white, there is no sign at all of wood grain - can this be a very thick plastic paint/coating over wood or have they given me PVC ?

Also, the door itself is difficult to lock - you raise the handle while turning a knob but it never locks first attempt !

If you open the door you can see where the locking rods insert themselves into the wood of the frame , you may be able to see where the rod is chafing against the metal fitting , you can usually loosen the screws on this fitting and adjust so that the rods fit comfortably .
    1.While you are looking at these fittings ckeck out if the holes are bored into wood or plastic.
    2.The installers will normally send someone to adjust doors and windows after installation , this is your best option for dealing with all the issues mentioned .
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Thanks for your help, pjq - will try that !

Maryxyz

Advertisement