Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyonw know when UPC will be available on Blessington Road, right beside Citywest??

Options
  • 25-05-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know when UPC will be doing broadband on Blessington Road, just beside Jobstown in Tallaght.
    I had them in my last flat at 3mb and was so happy with it, but they told me they haven't moved up this far yet in regards to the BB.

Now I setup IrishBroadband, got it the other day, as their ads make you believe their speeds are so TRULY FAST.. What a big ****ing lie!

I just done a speedtest, and guess what my download speed is?

70Kb/s!!!! Unbelievable, just a tiny bit better than dial up, last night it was 50kb/s..

I am in shock that they can advertise on the radio like that when they are blatantly lying. I have nowhere near 1MB download speed. And the signal bar is always at 1, and it goes upto 8.

Anyone know anything, about either question?? I'm thinking about going with PErlico NOW, OR Eircom?? Any advice on who'd be best??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Is it a house along the Blessington road?. If you have no cable currently on your home its very unlikely you will ever have UPC cable\BB installed. If your near enough to services it may be possible to get a one off install but it wouldn't be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sandra-tallaght

DingDong wrote: »
    Is it a house along the Blessington road?. If you have no cable currently on your home its very unlikely you will ever have UPC cable\BB installed. If your near enough to services it may be possible to get a one off install but it wouldn't be cheap.

Hi, no I'm not on the actual Blessington road, but in an estate just off it called De Selby; There is a lot of houses in this estate so I'm confused as to why they dont do BB here yet..

And I transferred my UPC service from my last flat successfully, have the digi-tv and DVR, but hey say I cant have the BB here yet!

Who would you recommend?? Perlico or Eircom??

Thats very strange I thought all of De Selby is BB enabled. I'll check it out Monday for you.
    As for Perlico or Eircom I've never used either so can't really comment on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am in Hazelgrove and its brilliant. It depends what you have ! If its an aerial on the roof (breeze), then there is something seriously wrong. I have this and a 3 meg connection regularly gives me 340k.

If you have ripwave (a little aerial gizmo on top of your computer) then the signal is crap where you are. The base station is on kiltipper lane, just above me , so you must have interference affecting you.

There is a trick you can use. Link below. I used this for a neighbour of mine and he tells me its running so much faster now.

Check the link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055120900&referrerid=59211

That should get you sorted.

DingDong wrote: »
    Thats very strange I thought all of De Selby is BB enabled. I'll check it out Monday for you.
    As for Perlico or Eircom I've never used either so can't really comment on them.

Hi, I'm actually in Belfry estate, which is just beside De Selby, but UPC say they wont have BB here for some time yet. And we don't even have an anaologue signal here!!
    Unreal isnt it?? I got the UPC V+ Box installed the other day, but I can't watch tv on the old analogue, and record 2 other programs at once: one with my Sony HDD/DVD Recorder, and the other with my V+ Box..
    I can only watch Digital Tv.
    CRAP!

I'd love to get UPC 3MB broadband again, it was so brilliant and fast.:(

The UPC guy said that we all have aerials on our roofs here, so we can only use an aerial to get analogue.. Does this mean I can only get RTE with my aerial, as I have another tv in the bedroom with no upc box, so its useless unless i can get analogue on it.

• Advertisement

I am in Hazelgrove and its brilliant. It depends what you have ! If its an aerial on the roof (breeze), then there is something seriously wrong. I have this and a 3 meg connection regularly gives me 340k.

If you have ripwave (a little aerial gizmo on top of your computer) then the signal is crap where you are. The base station is on kiltipper lane, just above me , so you must have interference affecting you.

There is a trick you can use. Link below. I used this for a neighbour of mine and he tells me its running so much faster now.

Check the link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055120900&referrerid=59211

That should get you sorted.

Hi, thanks for the link, will look at it in a mo..

Yeah I have Ripwave, although on the phone i specifically asked the man who could barely speak English, for the 26.95 a month package, which is 1Mb I think.

Instead I have RIPWAVE, which at best is 512kb/s, and I rarelr reach near 100kb/s..

He said I have 7 days to try it out and ccn give it back before then if I'm not happy. So I'm going to ring them tomorrow and tell them I don't want their crappy BB. I'll have to get my phone line activated downstairs tmrw, and either go with Perlico or Eircom or Smart if they do it here.

I think I can only get DSL broadband here, Cable is out of the question for the near future so I was told.

Can anyone recommend who to go with as I need to use this crappy RIPWAVE to make the order, as I need to order it by internet to avail of their special offers, like free connection with Eircom.

Perlico, or Eircom?? who's better??

Thats really odd, sounds like your on MMDS, Your right in the middle of a cable system. It doesn't make sense to have you on MMDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I'm in The Belfry too, and use O2 mobile BB. I've been very happy with it so far (about 3 months), and signal is strong and speeds are always decent (I'm typically getting 2-2.7 Mbps these days), and works well for everything I need - browsing, e-mail, Skype, downloading and uploading (dunno about gaming though, don't use it). Slows a little in the evenings, but this is to be expected. You can try it for 30 days too, to see if it works well at your location, return it for a full refund if you're not happy, and it's portable, so you can use it with a laptop nearly anywhere. No need for a phone line either.

You'll hear people say that it's not a true BB solution, but it suits me just fine. The modems they're currently supplying are also capable of upto 7.2Mbps, so speeds will improve when (if) they upgrade their masts.

I have a TV ariel in the attic, and the analogue reception is perfect (a small 10-element Yagi-type ariel). Analogue TV with a portable "rabbits-ears" ariel beside the TV isn't so good, though when used with a digital terrestrial STB, reception is perfect.

Durkan homes decided to go with an alternative provider(Digigate I think) for The Belfry so BB from upc is very unlikely ever.
    From reading boards smart or digiweb sound like good alternatives

Advertisement