Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to Dundrum from Dundalk?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 12:11am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Not too familiar with Dublin, so I'm asking here

What would be the best way of getting from Dundalk to Dundrum Town Centre without a car

My thoughts were get a train to Connolly, then the Luas to Abbey St, then change to the green rail at St. Stephen's Green to get to Dundrum. Also Matthew's Bus operates good buses from Dundalk to Parnell St. How would you get from Parnell St. to Dundrum?

Thanks for the help and for reading what's probably an extremely noobish question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Parnell Street is at the top of O'Connell Street, just walk down O'Connell Street to Abbey Street and follow the same route to St. Stephen's Green.

Buswise you can get the 44/a/b/c or the 48a bus from Hawkins Street, which is between OConell Bridge and Tara Street Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Matthews to Parnell St, walk to St Stephens Green (15 mins), get Luas to Ballally (handier for Dundrum Town Centre)

Thats the cheapest and also the easiest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the help! Didn't realise that Parnell St. was that close to St Steven's Green

So it's handier to go right through Dundrum station to Ballaly station to get to Dundrum SC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

No! The 48A no longer goes from Hawkins street but now starts from Parnell sq. It's next stop is on O'connell street at Burger King (facing dublin bus HQ). From this same stop you can also get the 14 or 14A and these two buses terminate at the dundrum luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Also Parnell st is not that close to stephens green - about a 20 minute walk i'd say. Easily doable but if your lazy the 48a/14/14A would be a nearer option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's approximately 1mile, anyone who'd rather get a bus across the busiest part of Dublin, than walk 1 mile is crazy.

I've walked it regularly, and 15 mins about the max time it takes, I go from SSG to Parnell St to Dundalk twice a week as well.

Besides you'll get to see all sorts of weird stuff on that route through O'Connell & Grafton Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

train to Dun Laoghaire -> 75 bus is another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

matthews coach 12euro return , get one of the 14's from o connell st, 2euro plus the 14's will litrally drop you outside the center, down side is they could take 45 minutes to get you there.

You could always grab an eco taxi on o connell st they are free (you should tip them though) and get them to peddle you richshaw style to the luas stop at the green ;-)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

So it's handier to go right through Dundrum station to Ballaly station to get to Dundrum SC?

Yes, except for in the following circumstances:
    • You're only going to Harvey Nichols or House of Fraser. Any deeper into the centre and it's shorter to go from the Balally side.
    • You prefer walking uphill to downhill.
    • You're not willing to pay the extra fare (Dundrum is in Green 2, Balally is in Green 3)

Advertisement