Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you give your animals the run of the full house?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious if you let your pets have the run of the house.
    Poll is limited to dogs and cats only ...

By the run of the house is - dogs and cats cat go wherever they want .. i.e sleep on your bed during the day .. lounge on the sofa in the main room .... etc

Do your cats/dogs have the run of the house 82 votes

Yes, all the time
    0% 0 votes
    We have some limitations
    36% 30 votes
    No, they are outside except occasionally
    63% 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

My greyhounds would love nothing more than to have a nap in my bed, but they haven't learnt to climb the stairs!!! They follow us around the house, then stop at the bottom of the stairs just looking up ...... ! One of them got up once, but she couldn't get back down, but the other hasn't even tried! I know greys are lazy ... but this is really taking it far! :D

I have outdoor animals.
    They come inside to escape each other, or to be fawned over, or have a nap by the fire in winter.
    They want to be where the people are, the kitchen or the sitting room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

my dogs are left outside depends on the weather,they hate the rain!
    They go out at about 9am and in about 7pm and do nothing but snores and farts.
    They sleep any where weres its warm.If the fire not lit they sleep on our beds.
    They have a great life!(lazy!):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I've 2 cats and they're allowed everywhere except the garage/utility room

I'd loose them in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Everywhere is there's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

No limitations on cats, sofa/bed
    barring orders on dogs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

Full run of the house when i am there. Tho i do wish i hadnt got into the habit of letting her (dog) sleep in the bedroom, but it was just to hard to let her keep barking and crying in the early hours of the morning when she was left downstairs as a puppy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Outside during the day when we're not there,they have boxes/beds in the shed.

Almost full run of the house otherwise,but wouldn't be let sleep in the bedroom.They sleep in the kitchen.

Full run of bathroom did =

1907975184_fa6de08c10.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Cats have free run, dogs are curtailed.

It's a hard life being a dog here - you have to sleep on the sofa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Cats have the front of the house and their outdoor cat proof run, we do shut them out of the bedroom at night mostly because I find they tend to decide to tear around the place at four in the morning. I wouldn't mind, but hubby is a lighter sleeper than me and gets grumpy if disturbed at that hour.

Dogs are confined to the hall and study when we're out and get that and the garden when were home. I couldn't leave everyone the full run of the house all the time or the cats would be history. The dogs are terriers with a huge prey drive and could not be trusted with the cats unsupervised.

The cats know to stay away from opening doors, which has the advantage of detering them from trying to get through doors and thus escaping out into the big wide world and very busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have a wee westie at the moment, so he is fine roaming the house. He doesn't get up to much anyway and just follows me everywhere and sleeps. I had a bigger and livelier collie before and he wasn't allowed into the bedrooms. Dogs on beds = No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I have an Irish terrier and we give him the run of the house. He's fairly well behaved so there's no problem with it. The only place we have to keep an eye on him is the kitchen. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

I haven't a dog at the moment but when I was at home my dogs slept on my bed and had run of house were left in if we were only gone a few hours, if longer left out back with access to beds and food bowls in conservatory. My own dog had run of house once she was toilet trained except she slept in kitchen at night as husband couldn't get used to her kicking him when she was alseep on bed. She tended to creep up and snuggle between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

My rescue jackrussel mix has the run of kitchen, hall and sitting room. Never gave her the habit of bedrooms, so whenever I go into my bedroom she sits outside the open door and cries until I come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Cats are hard to contain, they go wherever they like. Dogs are outdoors, just in for a while in the evening for a cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Dog and cats have the run of the full house. The dog goes on the sofa only when we are and never on the bed though he wouldn't mind ! ;-)
    I haven't started bringing the horse indoors yet :-D

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My cats definitely think its their house and have the full run. They come in and out the top storey bedroom window at night as they please and one of them even uses our toilet as he thinks litter trays are for peasants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

quote=lubie76;56048856 one of them even uses our toilet
    reminds me of the cat called mr jinks in meet the parents:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I have a collie and she is allowed everywhere downstairs in the house. But she spends all day outside anyways so it's just in the evenings and at night that she is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My westie is allowed all downstairs. Due to tearing some ligament, she can't climb the stairs anymore :( but isstill carried up there, from time to time :)

Saying that, she usually just suns herself in the sitting room :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

Dogs are only allowed in the kitchen as my dad is allergic(or supposedly anyways I think it was just he wasn't even used to having dogs indoors at all :eek:) Though I think this winter they will be allowed all of downstairs as Bainne is getting older :(

Abeona the bunny has full run of my room day and night - I normally wake up to bunny kisses and Nod the cat isn't able to come inside as both my sis and dad are allergic to him. We never intended on keeping him and in a couple of years I shall be moving out and he'll come with me as an indoor pussy and have a wonderfull life from then on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

mel123 wrote: »
    Full run of the house when i am there. Tho i do wish i hadnt got into the habit of letting her (dog) sleep in the bedroom, but it was just to hard to let her keep barking and crying in the early hours of the morning when she was left downstairs as a puppy!!!

Same as that, but had to train him to sleep downstairs when i had the baby, dog sheds unbelieveably!! But before that he was on the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

My dog used to sleep in my bed but it had to stop cos she was like a little furnace. Too darned hot - and not in a good way. My boyfriend understandably wasn't too keen on her in the leaba either.
    She now has the full run of the house but I keep the bedroom doors shut.
    If I forget, there is nothing she likes more than having a sneaky nap on a pillow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

My 2 Labs have full run of the house, they dont go near the couch or my bed. They have there own beds which they love. They both come and wake me up every morning at same time so no alarm clock needed :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

have a sheepdog that will not pass the door, but if there's thunder going she'll keep scratching at the door until she's let in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Our Rough Collie is outside 24/7 except when there is thunder or fireworks, when she scratches at the door to get inside. Any other time you couldn't get her to come in for love nor money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My lab has the run of the house. He has the wooden floors destroyed but nobody can give out to him... He sleeps in the front room downstairs so he can look out the window and when the back door is open he hides upstairs in case he's about to be fecked out into the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

The three cats here have the run of the place, in and out all day, but I shut them in the garage with their food and beds around 11 every night and let them back out at 7 am. That way I can sleep in peace and quiet and they can't get up to mischief or worse- get killed. When I have a dog he can go where he wants around the house too, but no to being up on the furniture. He can have his own bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

We started off trying to confine him to the kitchen, then we let him into the sitting room, but he wasn't allowed on the couch...now he goes wherever he likes! He's fairly good though, just wants to be wherever we are so it's easy to keep an eye on him. He's left in the utility at night though, as much as I love him I couldn't sleep with a dog in the bed every night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have 2 cats, not allowed in kitchen (but they try despite me trying numerous things without success) or bedrooms. They have their own room anyway.

Advertisement